***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

The FIFA rankings have Italy at 5

New Zealand is 83.

For the Kiwis, this is huge. As is any tie when a lower ranked

team ties a higher ranked team. They get one point and

are still in the running to qualify for the round of 16.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The FIFA rankings have Italy at 5

New Zealand is 83.

For the Kiwis, this is huge. As is any tie when a lower ranked

team ties a higher ranked team. They get one point and

are still in the running to qualify for the round of 16.

That was a great game! I know there a million soccer haters will never understand how a 1-1 draw can be a thrilling thing to watch, but that was pretty good. It reminded me of USA vs. Italy 4 years ago when USA held on for the draw despite being a man down.

I am still expecting for Italy to get through. It's a better WC with them in the knockout stage.

That was a great game! I know there a million soccer haters will never understand how a 1-1 draw can be a thrilling thing to watch, but that was pretty good. It reminded me of USA vs. Italy 4 years ago when USA held on for the draw despite being a man down.

I am still expecting for Italy to get through. It's a better WC with them in the knockout stage.

I think 2 red cards were given. De rossi and someone from team USA

or perhaps my memory is failing me?

it's not thrilling. it's not. interesting, yes, but nothing really thrills me about soccer. not like watching a baseball or football game. that being said, I am watching the tournament as much as possible.

it's not thrilling. it's not. interesting, yes, but nothing really thrills me about soccer. not like watching a baseball or football game. that being said, I am watching the tournament as much as possible.

Baseball on TV is about as much fun as bowling to me. I find soccer great to watch, no better than the WC.

You know I went into the tournament thinking that I should be grateful that I got to see a second world cup in my lifetime and that I would respect the man that brought us there.

Now that we're two games in, I am seeing exactly what I worried about. Lippi is a stubborn man, he always was. He got it right 4 years ago but this team is lacking creativity up front. With Cassano, Balotelli and Totti at home, it's a shame.

Cassano beat up Lippi's son a long time ago.

Balotelli - Is it because he's black or is it because of his character, or both?

Totti - Lacking fitness.

If Italy passes this group second, they will face Holland. With Holland's attack, we'd have to pay 11 men back and try for a swift counterattack. I don't see us reaching the quarters :lol:

Baseball on TV is about as much fun as bowling to me. I find soccer great to watch, no better than the WC.

I only watched baseball when Expos were there. Everything is interesting when somethings on the line.

I think 2 red cards were given. De rossi and someone from team USA

or perhaps my memory is failing me?

I had to look it up. Actually three red cards. (2 for USA, 1 for De Rossi).

Crazy game! What I remember most is how Donovan worked his ass off like a maniac to fill all the holes in the second half. He must have run 10 miles in that game, covering every inch of the field, basically lifting team USA up to get the point. I think that the people who disrespect Donovan do not give him enough credit for being the consummate team player who has shown that he will do the dirty work for his teammates.

I still take some pride that USA was able to steal a point from the eventual champs.

I did watch it. Not the whole game, but the end and that crazy extra time where nobody knows when the game is actually going to end (and the announcers kept saying "this has got to be it" and it wasn't)......I don't think baseball and football have anything to worry about as far as soccer taking market share away in the US.

The players are incredibly skilled, but it mostly goes for naught. It seems to me the way they rule offsides kills most any gain made by being creative.

All the stalling in order to kill time does not add to the thrill factor, as well.

Yep, same here. My heritage is almost 100% German, but I'm an American first and foremost and the US is my first team. I have different expectations for each, however, so I define success for each team differently. I really thought last cup was the Germans to take, but just didn't work out that way. After game one I was feeling pretty high and mighty, but then we had that debaucle yesterday. If we get past Ghana w/out Klose, we'll be okay for the next match I think. We're really missing the presence of a Michael Ballack, I think.

My heritage is 75% German and 25% German Jr (Austrian). My dad is from Germany - one of only two kids from a large family that came over - so I have a bunch of aunts/uncles and a load of cousins still in the Heimatland. It would be fun if they face each other in the next round but even better if they face each other on July 11.

:lol: @ stickball fans criticizing soccer for not being thrilling. I've seen it all on this message board...

Getting back to World Cup talk, it's interesting to see the 5 countries with the 5 best soccer leagues and 5 of the top 10 ranked teams in the world struggling early: Spain, England, Italy, Germany, France. While I think Germany, Italy, and Spain will get their act together and do enough to make the knockout round, England may be in genuine trouble and France is effectively done. With all the upsets so far, there are fewer and fewer teams now where I look at a potential matchup with the US and think the US has little/no chance.

:lol: @ stickball fans criticizing soccer for not being thrilling. I've seen it all on this message board...

Getting back to World Cup talk, it's interesting to see the 5 countries with the 5 best soccer leagues and 5 of the top 10 ranked teams in the world struggling early: Spain, England, Italy, Germany, France. While I think Germany, Italy, and Spain will get their act together and do enough to make the knockout round, England may be in genuine trouble and France is effectively done. With all the upsets so far, there are fewer and fewer teams now where I look at a potential matchup with the US and think the US has little/no chance.

Don't count France out. They may not have a coach but you never know. Scandal seems to draw these teams closer together.

Don't count France out. They may not have a coach but you never know. Scandal seems to draw these teams closer together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way for France to advance is to:

1. beat South Africa

2. have Mexico beat Uruguay

3. overcome a 5-goal +/- goal differential with Uruguay

The first 2 are very possible, but the 3rd makes it next to impossible for a tournament comeback.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way for France to advance is to:

1. beat South Africa

2. have Mexico beat Uruguay

3. overcome a 5-goal +/- goal differential with Uruguay

The first 2 are very possible, but the 3rd makes it next to impossible for a tournament comeback.

1) Very possible

2) If they tie, the second place team has to face a top club in the final 16. It's a possibility.

3) Not sure about this one. Too lazy to look it up :lol:

It just seems as if the entire tournament from the beginning is undeserved, starting from the Ireland game. I always said, "watch those bastards win it all." It would be disastrous, but remember that the 1982 team went on to win the WC after tieing the first 3 games.

1) Very possible

2) If they tie, the second place team has to face a top club in the final 16. It's a possibility.

3) Not sure about this one. Too lazy to look it up :lol:

It just seems as if the entire tournament from the beginning is undeserved, starting from the Ireland game. I always said, "watch those bastards win it all." It would be disastrous, but remember that the 1982 team went on to win the WC after tieing the first 3 games.

The first tie-breaker is goal differential not head-to-head. So a tie in the Uruguay-Mexico match eliminates France but either team winning does not. Then France would need to make up the goal differential in a combination of their margin of victory and the Uruguay-Mexico loser's margin of defeat. This differential is 6 goals if Mexico wins and 5 goals if Uruguay wins.

Surprised no one has talked about Kaka getting ejected on such a horrible flop.

Guy purposely runs towards Kaka, and takes a love tap to the chest. He then proceeds grab his face, cry, and flail around the ground for a good 5 minutes. Absolutely awful.

I am really trying to get into this, but all of the flopping, awful calls, and those :lol: stupid horns are making it tough to watch.

Guy purposely runs towards Kaka, and takes a love tap to the chest. He then proceeds grab his face, cry, and flail around the ground for a good 5 minutes. Absolutely awful.

I am really trying to get into this, but all of the flopping, awful calls, and those :lol: stupid horns are making it tough to watch.

I sought out this thread specifically to get caught up on this debate. Can't believe it's just now starting.

It's a shame the "cultural of complaining" (as the announcers so aptly put it) is turning you off to the game. The announcers rightly acknowledged the stain that theatrics leave on the game's honor. I couldn't agree more.

As for the FIFA refs not having to answer: ye ole wifey works in the referees department at US Soccer her in Chitown. She's the national coordinator for the Development Academy officials, so she's separate from the big leagues (FIFA, MLS). But she's "in the know" so i shall fetch some insight presently.

Haven't seen the highlights. The Italy game pissed me off that I just tuned out today.

I do know from what a friend said that 2 of the 3 goals Brazil scored were not good goals (handball I believe?), although I haven't verified this myself.

That Kaka red card was absolute bull ****! The officiating has been horrible this whole tournament. The WC refs should be the best in the world and mostly from the EPL

That Kaka red card was absolute bull ****! The officiating has been horrible this whole tournament. The WC refs should be the best in the world and mostly from the EPL

If the U.S. is really going to get into this game, then 'When in Rome'.. we have to RIOT over this B.S. call!