***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

I am curious to hear Gringo's take on todays game. I hope you didn't hear the result before you got the chance to watch it!

Thank you! Yes, I did manage to keep it a secret for myself.

****. I just typed up a long response and it was somehow deleted. I've had a very strange day and I'm not going to even try to reproduce it.

Suffice to say...crappy start, really great response. They deserved to get the win (would have been a truly classic, memorable finish). Now they have to win to advance...fair enough.

Beautiful finish from Donovan! Showed skill and pure anger at the same time--exactly what was needed at that moment.

:unsure: Still believing...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want to hear my take :thumbsup:

I just rewatched the game, the full 90 minutes. A few thoughts.

1) Defense needs work. For the first goal, there shouldn't have been as much space for a shot. The defense was playing way too passive. You can't give a guy space at that point on the field.

2) Donovan's goal. WTF are the defense of Slovenia and GK doing? The GK gets out of the way of the shot and the defense was horrible. :devil: Still a great shot though.

3) I think the US team showed a lot of spirit to come back down two goals. Well done!

I think if the defense could get their act together, they will be a team that will give a hard time in the knockout stages. It is important to note that Ohneyu (sp?) has only played two full games since October back in Milan. He doesn't look fully fit but he should be able to pick up his game.

Good luck my friends. It's time to take on the Kiwi's :unsure: No matter how much history a team has, you're always stressed. :thumbsup:

On the note of the Donovan goal, as you may have read before I was a goalie for many years until injury sidelined me and I have experienced that kind of shot before. Granted, the goalies best option would have been to take Donovan on and close all shot angles. But that is exceptionally tough to do knowing that you are leaving the goal WIDE open.

When that shot gets taken, you don't think its going top shelf. It really stuns you. When I was scored on just like that, I didn't even have time to get my hands past my chest to get to the shot. It's the equivalent of seeing a 60 mph knuckle ball when you are expecting a 100 mph fastball.

Brilliant shot by Donovan and he really proved in that one play that he is a world class player capable of scoring on any given play. Props to Donovan and the USA team today for showing the guts to come back and pull out a draw.

On the note of the Donovan goal, as you may have read before I was a goalie for many years until injury sidelined me and I have experienced that kind of shot before. Granted, the goalies best option would have been to take Donovan on and close all shot angles. But that is exceptionally tough to do knowing that you are leaving the goal WIDE open.

When that shot gets taken, you don't think its going top shelf. It really stuns you. When I was scored on just like that, I didn't even have time to get my hands past my chest to get to the shot. It's the equivalent of seeing a 60 mph knuckle ball when you are expecting a 100 mph fastball.

Brilliant shot by Donovan and he really proved in that one play that he is a world class player capable of scoring on any given play. Props to Donovan and the USA team today for showing the guts to come back and pull out a draw.

Word! :unsure:

I love your avatar! :devil:

I also want to say: man, this WC is starting to get good. Lots of dud games in the first round with teams playing scared. It's starting to get interesting now. Every game seems to be uncertain and plenty of surprises.

I agree! If we could just get this officiating cleaned up, we'd be all set! Three goals in the 2nd half was a very impressive showing by the US today. I loved seeing Bradley's aggressiveness on his goal, and PrimaDonovan showed up for the second time in two games. His game is more complete than ever, and he's really doing a good job this time around of being a leader. Edu's goal was also very nice...should have counted on the score board!

I don't know about England advancing. I think we put up a couple on Algeria and advance, and I'm looking for the upset by Slovenia over England. They just aren't all that impresive, and Rooney seems lost.

I can't believe Air Klose got hit with the red card....Germans are at risk for not advancing,but I think they'll recover and be okay.

But you're right, Gringo....this WC is interesting as hell and getting better every day!

I can't believe Air Klose got hit with the red card....Germans are at risk for not advancing,but I think they'll recover and be okay.

I thought Klose was a Dead Man Walking when he continued on long after the offside whistle blew and put the ball in the back of the net. I figured his minutes were numbered.

And freaking Podolski. The goaltender made a good save on the PK but he had like 7 good shots that he kicked wide. If he gets 3 of those on net, I bet one goes in. Or at least there would've been rebounds, then who knows.

Anyhow, Germany now finds itself in the same position as USA in 2006 - needing to beat Ghana to advance - and without Klose - I'm nervous

The controversial call comes four years after the 2006 finals in Germany where the refereeing was roundly condemned after a spate of controversies.

It led to FIFA setting up a special referee's assistance program to better train top officials for the 2010 finals.

'Better training' means sh--.

There will always be bad calls, for one reason or other. Malfeasance or mistake.

The only way to fix it and ensure a level playing field, especially in the int'l competitions, is to allow video replay. Similar to the NFL system, have three challenges. If you're right, you retain the challenge; if you're wrong... you lose a substitution, say.

Watched the game last night and you guys got hosed! What a horrible call on the "winning goal". There were likely 4 or 5 fouls on that play, all of them by the other team. I think the ref knew right away that he made the wrong call, but wasn't willing to change it, you could see it in his eyes.

Donovan's goal was nice, but the keeper must come out and challenge there and let his D worry about the front of the goal. It's hard to miss when you get in that close and blast the ball, you can't allow him to walk in like that.

USA defense needs to force the ball carrier a little more. They seem to be sitting back and allowing them to carry the ball into or near the 18 yard box. A little more pressure.

While I don't follow the USA team, it seems to me that they don't have as much pure talent as many of the other teams, but they clearly have some balls and don't give up. They will have to continue to work that hard to have any chance. (and I would imagine, need some help from other teams now).

Good Luck

I thought Klose was a Dead Man Walking when he continued on long after the offside whistle blew and put the ball in the back of the net. I figured his minutes were numbered.

And freaking Podolski. The goaltender made a good save on the PK but he had like 7 good shots that he kicked wide. If he gets 3 of those on net, I bet one goes in. Or at least there would've been rebounds, then who knows.

Anyhow, Germany now finds itself in the same position as USA in 2006 - needing to beat Ghana to advance - and without Klose - I'm nervous

I'm really disappointed with that match....almost as much as the US result. Air Klose is my favorite player and it's goign to such having to watch them play Ghana without him. Hopefully Schweinsteiger and the younger crop of players will be prepared to come in and take three points....can't imagine the elimination phase without them!

I cannot WAIT for Wednesday...I'm off that day from work, and it's going to be a morning and afternoon of (hopefully) awesome futbal! If the US and Gemany don't have a spot secured in the final 16 by Wednesday at 4:30, I'm going to be really bummed!

I get this feeling about this US team. They remind me of the 1980 hockey team. I can't put my finger on it. They just have that je ne sais quoi. But they got it. I am just saying

could you IMAGINE? I would go apeshiit if they ever won the cup. Let's not forget the upset against Spain in the Gold Cup (or whatever that was lol), and the fact that they put up TWO goals on Brazil in the final before finally being overtaken by arguably the best team in the world. You may be right, pete...this team may take their shot if they make it out of the group stage :)

I'm really disappointed with that match....almost as much as the US result. Air Klose is my favorite player and it's goign to such having to watch them play Ghana without him. Hopefully Schweinsteiger and the younger crop of players will be prepared to come in and take three points....can't imagine the elimination phase without them!

I cannot WAIT for Wednesday...I'm off that day from work, and it's going to be a morning and afternoon of (hopefully) awesome futbal! If the US and Gemany don't have a spot secured in the final 16 by Wednesday at 4:30, I'm going to be really bummed!

I took off yesterday morning to watch both games. And if both teams advance, nominally it's a 50/50 shot that we play each other. Even though I have a rooting interest in Germany, they are firmly my B team. I'm still looking for payback from WC2002 when Kahn and a handball stole one from us.

That scenario analysis becomes:

- Germany wins = advance

- Germany loses = out

- Germany ties and

a. Serbia wins = out

b. Serbia loses = tiebreak with Ausralia

c. Serbia ties = advance

'Better training' means sh--.

There will always be bad calls, for one reason or other. Malfeasance or mistake.

The only way to fix it and ensure a level playing field, especially in the int'l competitions, is to allow video replay. Similar to the NFL system, have three challenges. If you're right, you retain the challenge; if you're wrong... you lose a substitution, say.

Would you like to me find the amount of threads started on bad refereeing in the NFL and NHL?

It doesn't change much. It slows down the game.

Refs will always be bad in every sport. It's their thing.

That scenario analysis becomes:

- Germany wins = advance

- Germany loses = out

- Germany ties and

a. Serbia wins = out

b. Serbia loses = tiebreak with Ausralia

c. Serbia ties = advance

Germany will pass.

Not even worth worrying about.

I took off yesterday morning to watch both games. And if both teams advance, nominally it's a 50/50 shot that we play each other. Even though I have a rooting interest in Germany, they are firmly my B team. I'm still looking for payback from WC2002 when Kahn and a handball stole one from us.

Yep, same here. My heritage is almost 100% German, but I'm an American first and foremost and the US is my first team. I have different expectations for each, however, so I define success for each team differently. I really thought last cup was the Germans to take, but just didn't work out that way. After game one I was feeling pretty high and mighty, but then we had that debaucle yesterday. If we get past Ghana w/out Klose, we'll be okay for the next match I think. We're really missing the presence of a Michael Ballack, I think.