***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you like to me find the amount of threads started on bad refereeing in the NFL and NHL?

It doesn't change much. It slows down the game.

Refs will always be bad in every sport. It's their thing.

For NFL and NHL, I think it actually changes quite a bit. There are quite a few bad calls being corrected by video review. While many calls, especially judgment calls, are still bad, overall, video review improves the game imo. Honestly, I'd take the game being slowdown a bit than having the game decided by one bad call. To me, make it right is more important than ending the game on time.

Of course, there are limitation on video review. For example, it shouldn't and can't be used on judgment calls like strike or ball in baseball, a foul or not in yesterday's game, and so on. However, it can help to make the call right in other areas like if a fly ball clears the fence, if a player is out-of-bound, if the ball/puck clears goalline, or if it's a hand ball in soccer games. Refs will always make mistake but video reviews can help to correct some of their mistakes and reduce the occasions when bad calls decide the game outcome.

Hope you're right, man!

When am I not :)

Yep, same here. My heritage is almost 100% German, but I'm an American first and foremost and the US is my first team. I have different expectations for each, however, so I define success for each team differently. I really thought last cup was the Germans to take, but just didn't work out that way. After game one I was feeling pretty high and mighty, but then we had that debaucle yesterday. If we get past Ghana w/out Klose, we'll be okay for the next match I think. We're really missing the presence of a Michael Ballack, I think.

Complete opposite for me. My heritage is 100% Italian and I'm even a half Canuck/Wop citizen but I could care less what Canada does in the world cup.

For NFL and NHL, I think it actually changes quite a bit. There are quite a few bad calls being corrected by video review. While many calls, especially judgment calls, are still bad, overall, video review improves the game imo. Honestly, I'd take the game being slowdown a bit than having the game decided by one bad call. To me, make it right is more important than ending the game on time.

Of course, there are limitation on video review. For example, it shouldn't and can't be used on judgment calls like strike or ball in baseball, a foul or not in yesterday's game, and so on. However, it can help to make the call right in other areas like if a fly ball clears the fence, if a player is out-of-bound, if the ball/puck clears goalline, or if it's a hand ball in soccer games. Refs will always make mistake but video reviews can help to correct some of their mistakes and reduce the occasions when bad calls decide the game outcome.

I see what you're saying. I am a purist. Not just for soccer though, even for the other sports. I think changes should be minor but very well thought out.

I also don't think they would implement any changes in the world cup. They would probably start with the leagues to see the impact.

When am I not :)

Complete opposite for me. My heritage is 100% Italian and I'm even a half Canuck/Wop citizen but I could care less what Canada does in the world cup.

I don't think I've ever seen the Canada national team in a match lol. I know there is an MLS team in Toronto now, but beyond that I can't relate anything about Canada to soccer

Link

From Peter King;

The call was awful. But in all sports, when hugely controversial calls are made -- the Tuck Rule call by Walt Coleman in the Raiders-Patriots playoff game nine years ago, the Jim Joyce ruination-of-the-perfect-game this month -- at least we know what the call is. Here, millions of people staring at TVs around the world are still asking, "What's the call?''

You could feel it in the bowels of Ellis Park after the game. Don't make a big stir over this. It's soccer. Nothing you can do it about it. It's just the way it is.

Why? Why is this just blindly accepted? FIFA uses a referee -- in a game of vital importance in determining who moves on in the biggest tournament in any sport in the world -- whose highest previous assignment was the African Cup. That's got to be the equivalent of a Mid-American Conference ref being assigned the Super Bowl.

Coaches coach for four years to get to the World Cup. Players train for four years to get to the World Cup. And they have their fate decided by some wordless man handed an assignment he had no business having. But as important: Just what is this governing body FIFA, with the world watching its signature event, doing when it doesn't mandate an explanation from the referee about what he called that determined the outcome of a game?

I blame Coulibaly. But FIFA deserves equal blame, for putting a system in place that allows incompetent officiating to skate free. So what if we never see this official again? The damage is done. He was in far over his head, and he blew the call that decided the game. He can disappear now, and in all nations but America, the story will blow over. Nice racket you've got going, FIFA.

My fervent hope is America won't let FIFA forget about this -- that you, the readers and followers of this sport and the viewers of this sacred game -- will rise up and pound FIFA with protests. Write to FIFA president Sepp Blatter. Demand accountability. You've invested your time and energy, and you've cheated your boss today by sneaking over to the lounge where you work to watch this very important event in your life, and you've come away feeling angry and empty. Which you should.

So don't just sit there. Do something. Write to Blatter. Tell him you want accountability. Here's the address:

Sepp Blatter

FIFA

Box 85

8030 Zurich, Switzerland

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/socc...n#ixzz0rP5DN173

A soccer ref doesn't have to cite the rule that was violated? Well that makes fixing games a lot easier. This moron could take a bribe and make a call that costs a game and then never have to explain what rule was broken. They may keep him out of the rest of the cup games but the damage has been done.

What a joke.

Wow, that is SHOCKING to me that refs don't have to EVER explain their calls, not even to FIFA after the fact! WTF?? What is the basis of something so asinine? Peter King is exactly right....it just sets the stage for corruption and match fixing. FIFA needs to get its **** together...unreal!

What's wrong with Italy?? They settle for a draw against the Kiwis??

Link

From Peter King;

The call was awful. But in all sports, when hugely controversial calls are made -- the Tuck Rule call by Walt Coleman in the Raiders-Patriots playoff game nine years ago, the Jim Joyce ruination-of-the-perfect-game this month -- at least we know what the call is. Here, millions of people staring at TVs around the world are still asking, "What's the call?''

You could feel it in the bowels of Ellis Park after the game. Don't make a big stir over this. It's soccer. Nothing you can do it about it. It's just the way it is.

Why? Why is this just blindly accepted? FIFA uses a referee -- in a game of vital importance in determining who moves on in the biggest tournament in any sport in the world -- whose highest previous assignment was the African Cup. That's got to be the equivalent of a Mid-American Conference ref being assigned the Super Bowl.

Coaches coach for four years to get to the World Cup. Players train for four years to get to the World Cup. And they have their fate decided by some wordless man handed an assignment he had no business having. But as important: Just what is this governing body FIFA, with the world watching its signature event, doing when it doesn't mandate an explanation from the referee about what he called that determined the outcome of a game?

I blame Coulibaly. But FIFA deserves equal blame, for putting a system in place that allows incompetent officiating to skate free. So what if we never see this official again? The damage is done. He was in far over his head, and he blew the call that decided the game. He can disappear now, and in all nations but America, the story will blow over. Nice racket you've got going, FIFA.

My fervent hope is America won't let FIFA forget about this -- that you, the readers and followers of this sport and the viewers of this sacred game -- will rise up and pound FIFA with protests. Write to FIFA president Sepp Blatter. Demand accountability. You've invested your time and energy, and you've cheated your boss today by sneaking over to the lounge where you work to watch this very important event in your life, and you've come away feeling angry and empty. Which you should.

So don't just sit there. Do something. Write to Blatter. Tell him you want accountability. Here's the address:

Sepp Blatter

FIFA

Box 85

8030 Zurich, Switzerland

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/socc...n#ixzz0rP5DN173

A soccer ref doesn't have to cite the rule that was violated? Well that makes fixing games a lot easier. This moron could take a bribe and make a call that costs a game and then never have to explain what rule was broken. They may keep him out of the rest of the cup games but the damage has been done.

What a joke.

I agree with you that this was game-fixing. It was not the referee being "in over his head" as King suggested. Shameful on the ref's part, and shameful on FIFA's part.

Just goes to show anything can happen in this tournament–I skipped this game to sleep in, didn't bother to DVR it, figuring it would be a blowout, and look what happens. Amazing result for New Zealand!

Wow, that is SHOCKING to me that refs don't have to EVER explain their calls, not even to FIFA after the fact! WTF?? What is the basis of something so asinine? Peter King is exactly right....it just sets the stage for corruption and match fixing. FIFA needs to get its **** together...unreal!

They held the ball for 90 minutes.

Of course possession doesn't guarantee goals.

Looks like we'll have to beat Slovakia, if that's even a possibility. :lol:

The French going on strike? That's a shocker!

It's their answer to everything!

I guess I'm never going to understand this sport. I watched the end of the NZ-Italy game.........The announcers and Kiwi fans were going nuts over a tie. A tie!