***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SLovenia are not a bad side. Not a great one, by any means, but they are more than capable of putting in a performance or two to shock supposedly better teams.

Yup. And if they're capable of getting a draw against the US, they might be able to get a draw against England too. Then you have three teams all with 5 points. And everybody has to look at how many goals did we beat Algeria by. :P:rolleyes:

So if we draw against Slovenia, and then beat Algeria, and England beats Slovenia- both the US and Slovenia have 4 points. That would come down to goal differential

Not quite right. In your scenario we advance because we have 5 pts (1-0-2) and Slovenia has 4 (1-1-1).

The scenario analysis right now is:

On 6/18, England beats Algeria and we tie Slovenia. Then on 6/23:

(a) England beats Slovenia - we advance as long as we beat Algeria - we have 5 pts, Slovenia has 4 pts

(b) England ties Slovenia - we advance on goal differential as long as we beat Algeria by 2 or more goals

(b) England loses to Slovenia - we advance as long as we beat Algeria

What are the next tie breakers if the goal differential is identical? Goals scored or goals allowed? And if those are the same, then what?

The Honduran goalie just made one of the nest saves i've seen. Its too bad that soccer only allows for one save like that per Cup.

I think the next game at 10 EST will be interest. Spain vs Switzerland. I would like to see how well Spain play. I think they will destroy Switzerland to be honest but you never know. Seems all the favourites are coming out flat.

What are the next tie breakers if the goal differential is identical? Goals scored or goals allowed? And if those are the same, then what?

It goes like this...

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;

b) goal difference in all group matches;

c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches. If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;

e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;

f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organizing Committee.

linky

Spain moves the ball so well. Clearly the class of the tournament. Will they win their first ever?

I doubt it...

They move the ball well, but that does nothing if they can't score. I love Spain, so let's hope they can pull it together soon.

So far the usual suspects are 2-0-1. (Germany, Brazil, Italy)

The favourites are 1-1-1 (Argentina, Spain, England)

I'm not sure where the odds were before the tournament, but right now the bookmakers have Spain, Brazil and Argentina as the favorites followed by Germany, England and Holland (and then Italy). I doubt the odds moved much since the tournament started since Spain is still 1 or 2 in the odds I've seen even after their loss.

Give Ronaldo space and you're dead. That shot was sick. I still can't guess who will pass that group. Brazil will for sure but Ivory Coast and Portugal played well.

Portugal's coach is an idiot though.

Heck yeah it was...I would have loved to see that in the net...wicked shot by Ronaldo!

I tell you who is REALLY impressing me is D. Forlan. That guy is a MASTER at creating a shot. They were even showing on WC Live how he's able to manipulate the defense in such a way that he can create space and give himself an opportunity to put the ball on goal. This is a very smart, good player.

I was laughing at his goal against S.Africa, cause it was a total RIP of a shot, but when it skidded off the head of the S.African defender, it sort of went knuckle ball on the goalie and went floating in the net right under the crossbar :devil:

I'm not sure where the odds were before the tournament, but right now the bookmakers have Spain, Brazil and Argentina as the favorites followed by Germany, England and Holland (and then Italy). I doubt the odds moved much since the tournament started since Spain is still 1 or 2 in the odds I've seen even after their loss.

I'm still calling it for Argentina, but hoping Germany makes it (very) interesting. I want to see more from England before I can really view them as a favorite. They're clearly talented, but with crap goalkeeping and a few other teams that appear to be very hungry, I just don't know about the Brits.

The Honduran goalie just made one of the nest saves i've seen. Its too bad that soccer only allows for one save like that per Cup.

That was an amazing save, I agree. If you get a chance, go back and watch some of the Camaroon highlights from their first game. Their goalie had some pretty amazing saves, too. :devil:

Thanks! You were talking about the POR game today... For some reason I thought your were talking about Brazil... Again.. Sorry soccer novice here, trying to follow all the scores! :lol:

:devil:

Glad to have you in the thread! :beer:

And yeah, C.Ronaldo is arguably the best player in the world. He's a pretty boy that a lot of people love to hate, but his talent is undeniable. Some of the best footwork on the planet, and a great deal of fun to watch play.

:devil:

Glad to have you in the thread! :lol:

And yeah, C.Ronaldo is arguably the best player in the world. He's a pretty boy that a lot of people love to hate, but his talent is undeniable. Some of the best footwork on the planet, and a great deal of fun to watch play.

I collect soccer jerseys and Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player in the world IMO. I would get his jersey if he wasn't such a kitty. Biggest diver in the game. Like the announcer said yesterday- blow at Ronaldo and he will go down. But no denying his talent

Might I add that it is a great time to be unemployed! I have watched every game of the WC and plan on catching them all!