why is CJ any better than reggie bush?

For all the negativity on this board I am surprised that more people are not concerned like me that spiller will be just another reggie bush. Bush demonstrated that smallish fast rbs who need open spaces may not seem so fast or elusive at all at the next level. Bush was considered a once in a generation player coming out of college. Instant offense. A cant miss prospect So much so that the texans were ridiculed at levels not seen before or since for picking a franchise defensive end ahead of bush. What could bush get in a trade today. A fourth? Before last year anyone would have taken lynch over bush straight up. Can someone explain why spiller will be better than bush so I feel better about this pick and the season.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. No one can make you feel better about anything. You will have to watch the games and let it play out as it plays out.

That about sums it up.

You're gonna just have to be miserable until Spiller proves otherwise.

For all the negativity on this board I am surprised that more people are not concerned like me that spiller will be just another reggie bush. Bush demonstrated that smallish fast rbs who need open spaces may not seem so fast or elusive at all at the next level. Bush was considered a once in a generation player coming out of college. Instant offense. A cant miss prospect So much so that the texans were ridiculed at levels not seen before or since for picking a franchise defensive end ahead of bush. What could bush get in a trade today. A fourth? Before last year anyone would have taken lynch over bush straight up. Can someone explain why spiller will be better than bush so I feel better about this pick and the season.

Why is Chris Johnson any better than Reggie Bush? They're the same size? Who knows...maybe it's heart.

Why can't that big guy I saw in the supermarket the other day play center for us? He's the exact same size as Nick Mangold?

He might be another Reggie Bush, he might be better, he might be worse-nobody is going to know until he starts putting on a helmet in NFL games. My guess is, especially considering Bush is on a far more superior quality team, that at best he will be another Reggie Bush.

I'm about as negative as anyone but I can't really complain too much about the quality of Spiller. I think he could be a very good running back, and expect him to contribute next year. I had a problem with the fact that we are pretty good at the running back position and had other critical needs, but had no problem with the overall quality of the pick, as I agree with most of the pundits that Spiller is the best running back available.

Is it a gamble? Sure, but odds are he will be a good back.

I'm okay with the Spiller pick. I think he was truly the best player on the board. We've proven over the last few years that reaching to fill an area of need in the first round is the surest way to miss out on a lot of talented players. Tell me the Bills wouldn't be a better team today if they had followed this philosophy the last 10 years.

4.28....... What makes Chris Johnson better than Reggie Bush?

I'm okay with the Spiller pick. I think he was truly the best player on the board. We've proven over the last few years that reaching to fill an area of need in the first round is the surest way to miss out on a lot of talented players. Tell me the Bills wouldn't be a better team today if they had followed this philosophy the last 10 years.

+1

+2

this season its gonna seem like hes just a reggie bush, because he wont get the carries with fredddy and marshawn still here. But a heavy workoad could prove him to be a chris johnson. All we know is we have a home run hitter now. (lee is one too, but the line has to hold the rush for 5 seconds and our QB has to make the right read, so, hes a questionable one at best)

We should be so lucky that Spiller could be as effective as Reggi Bush. I think Spiller has much more upside though. Reggie Bush has been banged up by injuries and is nowhere near as fast or shifty as he was when he came out of college in my opinion. That being said he does contribute so much to that team. Contributions that aren't measured like demanding attention from the defense. From a fantasy perspective I used to hate how they would create some sort of motion or fake to Bush, the whole defense would go with him and then the saints went elsewhere with the ball. In addition to being a pretty good runner and receiver he is invaluable as a decoy. I have seen many highlights of Spiller running inside but Lynch can get those REALLY tough yards when the defense is stacked up and we need him to carry the defense for 2 or 3 yards.

Reggie Bush has 31 TDs in 52 NFL games. That is on par with our offensive TDs the past 52 games

Better yet, Reggie Bush has a TD every 25 touches, Chris Johnson has a TD every 27 touches.

Reggie Bush is an impact player. He is not an every down player, but he impacts every game. He has had injuries that really kept him from ever being more than a situational type player, but he still makes an impact.

BTW, in his first year Chris Johnson avg. 16 carries a game and 3 receptions per game. Last year he averaged 22 carries per game and 3 receptions.

This is a measuring stick to put CJ Spiller next to, JMO.

But I thought if he doesn't get 30 carries per game and double the all-time rushing record in year one, he's a bust?

You've got to consider why Nix and Gailey liked and wanted Spiller. Was it because he can be a workhorse RB for seven or eight years? No. Nix & Gailey have been pretty straight shooters about the draft. They felt our offense had lacked, other than good O-line play & good QB play, a player who could go the distance on any given play, regardless of field position. Someone that could touch the ball and turn the tide of the game - going from first and ten on our 20 to first and ten on their 40 in one play. Not only is the guy capable of scoring on special teams (if need be), but he can be a WR as well as a RB. When Gailey is designing plays he can use Spiller along with Jackson, Evans, Nelson and any of the others and make the defense be accountable for them all.

And, Spiller has the muscle mass to be a Chris Johnson type back - one who carries 20+ a game. Still, I imagine if Spiller proves he's that much better of a back than Jackson or Lynch then he'll force the coaches to keep him out there.

In the NFL you need two good running backs - so, having Spiller - and picking him was justified when you look at the character of the players they're trying to bring in, because that does effect the game & we need more heart on the field, and his talent was good at that pick - having him will be good when Jackson or Lynch gets hurt, or if we manage to trade Lynch. They were picking Spiller, I'll bet, with an eye to the future. The great teams usually have the great RB, QB, and WR trio.

Another thing to consider is Bush played on an all star team in college. He played with another Heisman trophy winner (leinart) and first round QB, several 1st and 2nd round receivers (Williams, Jarrett, Colbert, Smith), another 2nd round rb (White), and an oline loaded with NFL players (Luiti, Justice, Kalil, etc).

how many NFL players did Spiller play with at Clemson? Of the top of my head, I don't know any.

Plus, I guarantee if you asked Brees and Payton, they would tell you they don't win a SB without Bush. Every time he is on the field or goes in motion, the defense must account for him. He also set a NFL rookie record for receptions as a rookie so it's hard to really call him a bust.

They felt our offense had lacked, other than good O-line play & good QB play, a player who could go the distance on any given play, regardless of field position. Someone that could touch the ball and turn the tide of the game - going from first and ten on our 20 to first and ten on their 40 in one play.

But ya see, the same thing was probably said about Roscoe Parrish, wouldn't you agree? And, you could also throw in the special teams factor ala Spiller.

What scares me (and I think a fair amount of others) is NOT Spiller himself, or even Spiller going at #9. It is the Bills using their best resources primarily on small, and in the case perhaps a part time skill player. Hopefully this will end, and the Bills can resume winning football games.

He could be Reggie Bush 2.0 or he could be Chris Johnson 2.0, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Fred Jacksopn can't play forever and he's 30. Lynsh is not looking like the long-term answer either. Hopefully Spiller can be "the guy".

He could be Chris Johnson, he could be Reggie Bush, he could be yet another turd in the punch bowl. Time will tell.

If he can stay healthier than Reggie Bush, I would take RB's rookie numbers all day long: 565 rushing yds., 88 recpections for 742 yds...9 total Tds (1 punt return).

But ya see, the same thing was probably said about Roscoe Parrish, wouldn't you agree? And, you could also throw in the special teams factor ala Spiller.

Yes, but Roscoe lit it up on special teams pretty consistently up until last year, and may have done the same on offense if ever used appropriately.

Bush helped NO win a Superbowl in his third or fourth year. I hope CJ is like that.

The other players on the team had a bit to do with that.

I hope CJ is like that too, but he wasn't even in the top ten players on that team.

The problem wasn't reaching to fill an area of need. The problem was picking players who weren't very good. It's an entirely different problem.

BTW, in his first year Chris Johnson avg. 16 carries a game and 3 receptions per game. Last year he averaged 22 carries per game and 3 receptions.

This is a measuring stick to put CJ Spiller next to, JMO.

What your going to see is around 12 carries a game, 5 other offensive touches a game (Receiving, Wildcat, passing, reverses), and 2-3 returns a game.

20 touches. Reggie Bush averages 1 TD every 25 touches. I dont care what Spiller does yard wise, if he gives us 1 TD every 25 touches we have a super star.

What scares me (and I think a fair amount of others) is NOT Spiller himself, or even Spiller going at #9. It is the Bills using their best resources primarily on small, and in the case perhaps a part time skill player. Hopefully this will end, and the Bills can resume winning football games.

Parrish wasn't close to the talent Spiller was. Parrish was an undersized receiver who probably would have slipped into the 3rd round if not for TD. Spiller was consider the draft's #1 rb the day after the season ended. That is a gigantic difference.

Another thing to consider is Bush played on an all star team in college. He played with another Heisman trophy winner (leinart) and first round QB, several 1st and 2nd round receivers (Williams, Jarrett, Colbert, Smith), another 2nd round rb (White), and an oline loaded with NFL players (Luiti, Justice, Kalil, etc).

how many NFL players did Spiller play with at Clemson? Of the top of my head, I don't know any.

Plus, I guarantee if you asked Brees and Payton, they would tell you they don't win a SB without Bush. Every time he is on the field or goes in motion, the defense must account for him. He also set a NFL rookie record for receptions as a rookie so it's hard to really call him a bust.

+1

Great Post. Couldn't say it any better

We won't know till we know, but . . .

BUSH (2 yrs at USC)

Rushing - 343 attempts, 2648 yds, 22 TDs

Receiving - 80 catches, 987 yds, 9 TDs

Punt returns - 66 returns, 545 yds, 3 TDs

Kick returns - 49 returns, 1003 yds, 0 TDs

Spiller (4 yrs at Clemson)

Rushing - 606 attempts, 3547 yds, 32 TDs

Receiving - 123 catches, 1420 yds, 11 TDs 1 TD

Punt returns - 87 returns, 569 yds, 11 TDs

Kick returns - 74 returns, 1352 yds 2052 yds, 7 TDs

I'm not sure this helps either side of the argument (though ya gotta love all those Spiller TDs!), but in the end, it'll be more about how Gailey coaches him and uses him. At the very least, every other back and receiver on the field with Spiller will get a little less attention. We're all hoping for good numbers from him, but even better, I think we'll see improved numbers for everyone else, as well -- not that that will be hard to accomplish!

And in the end, even if Spiller is "only" another Reggie Bush, that's decent value for a #9 pick.

sorry for the typo and the inability to add such big numbers!

Jacoby Ford was a WR on that team and is super fast like Spiller (4.28 40). Now, whether he translates that speed to the NFL remains to be seen. Of course, Al Davis drafted Ford lol

Jacoby Ford was a WR on that team and is super fast like Spiller (4.28 40). Now, whether he translates that speed to the NFL remains to be seen. Of course, Al Davis drafted Ford lol

Good memory. But Ford was a 4th round pick. Comparing Clemson's offensive talent to USC's is like comparing Adrinna Lima to Rosie O'Donnell. 0:)

BUSH (2 yrs at USC)

Receiving - 123 catches, 1420 yds, 11 TDs

Kick returns - 74 returns, 1352 yds, 7 TDs

I'm not sure this helps either side of the argument (though ya gotta love all those Spiller TDs!), but in the end, it'll be more about how Gailey coaches him and uses him. At the very least, every other back and receiver on the field with Spiller will get a little less attention. We're all hoping for good numbers from him, but even better, I think we'll see improved numbers for everyone else, as well -- not that that will be hard to accomplish!

And in the end, even if Spiller is "only" another Reggie Bush, that's decent value for a #9 pick.

How would you compare the level of competition that USC plays vs. that that Clemson plays? JMO, Clemson has lined up and paid for some games against duckpin clubs in recent years...

BUSH (2 yrs at USC)

Receiving - 123 catches, 1420 yds, 11 TDs

Kick returns - 74 returns, 1352 yds, 7 TDs

Corrections:

Spiller did not return 11 punts for touchdowns in college. He returned 1 punt for a TD.

Spiller had 2052 yards in kick returning not 1352

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=192151

Plus Spiller had 32 yards passing and 2 touchdowns

How would you compare the level of competition that USC plays vs. that that Clemson plays? JMO, Clemson has lined up and paid for some games against duckpin clubs in recent years...

How does it compare to all the supporting talent around Reggie Bush at USC vs. the supporting talent around CJ Spiller at Clemson?

Come on Cincy. The PAc 10 is one of the most overrated conferences in America. The only teams that are consistently good have been USC and Oregon. At the very least, teh ACC and the Pac 10 are equal and a lot of people probably would give the edge to the ACC.