Chris Brown - Bills "Reporter"

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if any of you remember, back before the days when print media was a bit more relevent, Chris Brown was (I believe) the editor of Shout Magazine...his column was the best thing about it back then. He was more objective. Lets be honest, who can blame a guy for trying to make a living...mix in the fact that he gets to work for his favorite pro-sports team, as "glorified PR guy"...how many wouldn't jump at that chance?

Good call! And I agree, I loved his columns, especially before the draft and FA periods, as it offered some pretty good analysis of potential Bills drafts/pickups. Wow that was a long time ago!

Doesn't every team have a guy like this for their website?

Yeah. And though no doubt the guy does work, and is a professional, "journalist" is definitely a stretch. I can't really see how anyone in the employ of the team, who covers said team, can rightly be called a journalist. He's a fairly effective insider / PR guy.

Good call! And I agree, I loved his columns, especially before the draft and FA periods, as it offered some pretty good analysis of potential Bills drafts/pickups. Wow that was a long time ago!

I know...used to subscribe...it was great, reading a "preview of week 7" mathchup in week 9, when the damn thing finally arrived in the mail! How did we survive? :lol:

Was pleasently surprised to see that they still have a print copy of "Shout". I couldn't find one anywhere when I was back home in July (great for reading on the plane), but I saw somebody carrying one in the airport with Dough Marrone on the cover!

I know...used to subscribe...it was great, reading a "preview of week 7" mathchup in week 9, when the damn thing finally arrived in the mail! How did we survive? :lol:

Was pleasently surprised to see that they still have a print copy of "Shout". I couldn't find one anywhere when I was back home in July (great for reading on the plane), but I saw somebody carrying one in the airport with Dough Marrone on the cover!

It's now called Bills Digest and I still subscribe. Good reading material for the throne. They've gotten a lot better on delivery, even without paying extra for First Class postage.

Still experience the occasional oddity though where an issue is late and I get the current week's before the prior week's. I then wonder if there's a Bills' fan working at my post office here in Northern California who reads it before delivering it to me.

What's the purpose of this guy? His title claims he is the "Lead Journalist" of the official Buffalo Bills website, yet I don't think he has ever once broken a story. It seems like he just searches the web to find what info has been found out by other sources, then writes a piece around it. He seems to be much more damage control than journalist.

Here's a recent example:

http://blogs.buffalo...ynn-in-buffalo/

He sites a tweet from someone else who was at the airport when Matt Flynn landed. Brown doesn't add a single thing in his article to even suggest that Flynn is there for a workout with the Bills. Per Brown, "Reports of free agent QB Matt Flynn’s presence in Buffalo is fueling speculation that the Bills are looking for more alternatives at the position."

Of course, they aren't going to include a journalist in any personnel discussions, but to keep a leash on him even after info is out there seems to lessen any credibility an official team reporter has. To not let him even affirm that Flynn was in for a workout?

I guess you do have to hand it to the front office, as it appears they are pretty good at keeping their intentions secret.

He kinda reminds me of what a bunch of us do at parties and such, our employer is strong on confidentiality but we know people will ask us questions about our job, so we all surf the web and check out what info is in the public domain already, then it's safe to talk about. But if it's not already out there, we can't talk about it.

I agree, he's essentially a Bills PR man not a journalist, and agree, the Bills keep him on a short leash and don't let him break any stories.

He's a PR guy for the team who writes features to keep fans interested. He does a decent job of it. No need to beat him up for doing his job.

Besides that Murph has his back and is alot bigger than our fella Chris.

i love these guys. It is what it is. And that aint bad

Chris brown is great at what he does! He works for the organization. He is hired to generate and recycle high volumes of fluff pieces about the bills. And that's exactly what he does. Especially after a win and I'm scrounging the Internet for material to savor the good feeling Chris browns fluff pieces are always there for me.

What's the purpose of this guy? His title claims he is the "Lead Journalist" of the official Buffalo Bills website, yet I don't think he has ever once broken a story. It seems like he just searches the web to find what info has been found out by other sources, then writes a piece around it. He seems to be much more damage control than journalist.

Here's a recent example:

http://blogs.buffalo...ynn-in-buffalo/

He sites a tweet from someone else who was at the airport when Matt Flynn landed. Brown doesn't add a single thing in his article to even suggest that Flynn is there for a workout with the Bills. Per Brown, "Reports of free agent QB Matt Flynn’s presence in Buffalo is fueling speculation that the Bills are looking for more alternatives at the position."

Of course, they aren't going to include a journalist in any personnel discussions, but to keep a leash on him even after info is out there seems to lessen any credibility an official team reporter has. To not let him even affirm that Flynn was in for a workout?

I guess you do have to hand it to the front office, as it appears they are pretty good at keeping their intentions secret.

He keeps us all informed on the inner workings & the real stories of whats going on in the organization he doesn't jump at every possible story line just to have to correct himself at a later date .

But by the sounds of it thats what you would rather have some one go out & just make stuff up that has no substance or truth to it but that's why Chris is a good reporter & i think a stand up guy because when he reports a story to us you can bank on it being truth & not BS !

But hey if thats what your looking for pitch the idea to ABC or some body & maybe you can be one of the writers & just print a bunch of fantasy for TV junk . To each their own .

But i for one have a ton of respect for the job Chris does in keeping us in the know about our favorite team !! And what was so wrong with the link article ? Was he lying , was it a true report , was it something that informed us all about what was going on at 1 bills drive , wasn't it some thing that came to be ? So what was your point ??

Go Bills !!

Edited by T master

Brown's ok for what he does. Always seems to ask thoughtful questions in interviews at least.

Does anybody else think John Murphy is useless? I would rather listen to just the audio of marv albert calling the game than him. Zero analysis, zero insight, and completely boring.

Murph's main job is play-by-play; Kelso is supposed to be the analyst.

information_ministercopy_zpsc63fc698.jpg

^^ actually made me laugh out loud. Edited by BillnutinHouston

• 1 year later...

So what's the point, really?

For example - on Friday he puts this on the Bills' official website:

The Bills were the only team that Percy Harvin visited as a free agent after his release from the Jets. Now it appears he’ll remain in the AFC East.

That according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, who is reporting a one-year deal between Harvin and the Bills.

No word yet from the Bills organization.

So the Bills' very own journalist is reporting on their own website that someone else is reporting that they did something!

Terrible...

Terrible...

The Bills are being very coy about the Harvin signing....I supect to keep Miami guessing about what impact it will have on their cap situation. So Brown won't go all official yet, even though he's in the building...

Edited by Lurker

Chris doesn't ever publish unreleased insider information. My guess is that he's not allowed to leak anything until it's been officially allowed. He is allowed, however, to mention reports from other sources.

Because he does work for the Bills and is privy to certain things, I usually think that if he's citing a source, it's probably a reliable one who's putting out information that Chris knows (or suspects) to be true.