Torry Holt to the Pats

Lori

What is the Pats' obsession with guys who run down the field with giant forks sticking out of their backs? Holt is done. He has very little footspeed left. Sure, he's savvy enough to find soft spots in a zone, but he's not much better (and probably much worse) than your average replacement-level player. BB just loves vets.

What is the Pats' obsession with guys who run down the field with giant forks sticking out of their backs? Holt is done. He has very little footspeed left. Sure, he's savvy enough to find soft spots in a zone, but he's not much better (and probably much worse) than your average replacement-level player. BB just loves vets.

He seems to be pretty fond of Lombardi Trophies, too.

Joey Galloway part 2

Not really the same type of signing.

For starters, Holt is much younger than Galloway and has only missed 3 games his entire career.

Second, Galloway came in believing he was going to run go routes all day like he had been doing all of his career. The Pats asked Galloway to run slants and crosses, digs and glance routes which Galloway couldn't, or more likely didn't want, to do. Holt, OTOH, has made an all pro career out of running slants, digs, crosses and glance routes so he'll be able to step right in and be comfortable with his job description.

Essentially, Holt is replacing Sam Aiken in the lineup. Aiken is an excellent ST's player but shouldn't be seeing many reps as a WR.

For starters, Holt is much younger than Galloway and has only missed 3 games his entire career.

Second, Galloway came in believing he was going to run go routes all day like he had been doing all of his career. The Pats asked Galloway to run slants and crosses, digs and glance routes which Galloway couldn't, or more likely didn't want, to do. Holt, OTOH, has made an all pro career out of running slants, digs, crosses and glance routes so he'll be able to step right in and be comfortable with his job description.

Essentially, Holt is replacing Sam Aiken in the lineup. Aiken is an excellent ST's player but shouldn't be seeing many reps as a WR.

Fair enough. But I'm skeptical about how much of a difference maker an aging wideout will make. He played his career in a dome and against warm weather opponents...and one season in the AFC South playing for Jacksonville.

For a supposed genius, many of Belichick's decisions lately seem like Madden type acquisitions and/or desperation.

Just not impressed at all.

Fair enough. But I'm skeptical about how much of a difference maker an aging wideout will make. He played his career in a dome and against warm weather opponents...and one season in the AFC South playing for Jacksonville.

For a supposed genius, many of Belichick's decisions lately seem like Madden type acquisitions and/or desperation.

Holt is a monumental upgrade over Aiken, the guy he'll be replacing in the lineup. Not sure why this seems desperate?

Belichick's offseason this year fits his MO while in NE which is to sign veterans to fill specific roles while adding youth via the draft.

yeah. I'd much rather have Walter Mendenhall or Rodney Ferguson on the roster.

Holt is a monumental upgrade over Aiken, the guy he'll be replacing in the lineup. Not sure why this seems desperate?

Belichick's offseason this year fits his MO while in NE which is to sign veterans to fill specific roles while adding youth via the draft.

This year's Patriots free agent signings:

Alge Crumpler TE, Torry Holt WR

Last year's Patriots free agent signings:

Chris Baker, TE; Leigh Bodden, CB; Joey Galloway, Paris Lenon; LB; Brandon McGowan, S; Tom Malone, P; Shawn Springs, CB; and Fred Taylor, RB

In addition they traded a 3rd and 4th for Derrick Burgess last year. The year before they signed Adalius Thomas.

What I'm saying is that their drafts have been mediocre lately (in spite of piling up lots of draft picks) and their free agent signings and acquisitions more often than not are veteran players on the downside who are/were big names.

To me, this speaks of a serious decay in their ability to identify good, young, and in some cases, unknown players.

Everyone knows of Polian's and A.J. Smith's ability to unearth unknown talent.

It appears that the Patriots don't have the ability to do this anymore. I think the only good veteran acquisition they've made lately was the Leigh Bodden signing.

So yes, IMO they are resorting to a deperate and/or Madden approach to player acquisition.

As I've stated here and elsewhere, they've done almost nothing since losing in the Super Bowl, haven't won a Super Bowl since they stopped cheating, and appear to be an organization in decay.

Just my opinion.

i wouldn't go so far as to say organization in decay, but the magic is gone in New England. In the 2001-2004 run, they seemed to be able to work magic with everything, landing Pro Bowlers with every draft pick and getting Super Bowl winning performances out of the likes of Antowain Smith. They mercilessly cut veterans the moment they lost a step (Lawyer Milloy) and kept getting value. But then that stopped.

Putting together Welker and Moss for Brady was their last great move. Their running game has burned through role players (Sammy Morris) and scrubs (BenJarvus Green-Ellis) and washouts (LaMont Jordan). The defense still relies on the same players, and while they're really talented, there's nobody waiting in the wings besides maybe Jerod Mayo. They're going to be good for a while still, but they're not the class of the league by any stretch. Not anymore.

...not that they won't beat us twice.

This year's Patriots free agent signings:

Alge Crumpler TE, Torry Holt WR

Last year's Patriots free agent signings:

Chris Baker, TE; Leigh Bodden, CB; Joey Galloway, Paris Lenon; LB; Brandon McGowan, S; Tom Malone, P; Shawn Springs, CB; and Fred Taylor, RB

In addition they traded a 3rd and 4th for Derrick Burgess last year. The year before they signed Adalius Thomas.

What I'm saying is that their drafts have been mediocre lately (in spite of piling up lots of draft picks) and their free agent signings and acquisitions more often than not are veteran players on the downside who are/were big names.

To me, this speaks of a serious decay in their ability to identify good, young, and in some cases, unknown players.

Everyone knows of Polian's and A.J. Smith's ability to unearth unknown talent.

It appears that the Patriots don't have the ability to do this anymore. I think the only good veteran acquisition they've made lately was the Leigh Bodden signing.

So yes, IMO they are resorting to a deperate and/or Madden approach to player acquisition.

As I've stated here and elsewhere, they've done almost nothing since losing in the Super Bowl, haven't won a Super Bowl since they stopped cheating, and appear to be an organization in decay.

Just my opinion.

Desperate would be signing a slew of players hoping that a bunch of them will stick and contribute. The Pats have been anything but that this offseason indicating that they are perfectly content relying on the nucleus of players they now have on board. In fact, with Holt seemingly in tow, the Pats don't have a glaring roster spot open as they enter the draft.

The biggest issue with the Pats of late has been the health of Tom Brady. Should Brady be back to health this season the Pats will be a SB favourite.

Two of the Pats most productive rookies last year (Edelman and Pryor) were late round (6th and 7th) finds and let's not forget that another late round find of the Pats (7th rounder Matt Cassel) netted them a high 2nd round pick this year. So I'm not sure they can't find any late round gems.

At any rate, back the original point. The addition of Holt is to replace Aiken at WR. Not sure how anyone would not see this as a huge upgrade.

Smart move....with Welker/Moss.....great #3

Sorry, the Pats just improved.

Torry will be their number 2, welker wont be ready. The injury he had is a nasty one and takes some time to get back. I forget the guys name who filled in for welker so forgive me, but I think he will be the 3 or josh reed.

Browsing through everyones posts I think we are all forgetting the matchup problem this will create. They have the great hands guy - Welker who promises at least 5 to 8 yards per catch. Than Moss who is aging but can still provide a 12-15 yard gain no problem. Holt has good hands, should come pretty cheap and will provide a good 3rd WR to alternate in the lineup to keep Moss and Welker fresh.

Now, look at the direction the AFCE has gone this offseason. None of the teams have a sure-shot way to defend two WR's, even with the Jets signing Cromatie. Few teams can committ the coverage to Welker alone. Now they have a consistent 3rd guy who can pick up the in between. He's an upgrade to Aiken and their past 3rd guys, and I see none of the 3rd or 4th DB's or LB's in the AFCE who will be able to cover him. He is still quick and has gas in the tank. As far as what I predict. 300 yards, 35 receptions. 99% of those will be on 3rd downs.

Desperate would be signing a slew of players hoping that a bunch of them will stick and contribute. The Pats have been anything but that this offseason indicating that they are perfectly content relying on the nucleus of players they now have on board. In fact, with Holt seemingly in tow, the Pats don't have a glaring roster spot open as they enter the draft.

The biggest issue with the Pats of late has been the health of Tom Brady. Should Brady be back to health this season the Pats will be a SB favourite.

Two of the Pats most productive rookies last year (Edelman and Pryor) were late round (6th and 7th) finds and let's not forget that another late round find of the Pats (7th rounder Matt Cassel) netted them a high 2nd round pick this year. So I'm not sure they can't find any late round gems.

At any rate, back the original point. The addition of Holt is to replace Aiken at WR. Not sure how anyone would not see this as a huge upgrade.

Holt has done nothing in at least two years. He appeared to be done last year, and frankly I'd be surprised if he makes the team come September. The Pats have had plenty of wideout misses -- Gaffney, Stallworth, Galloway, and our very own Chad Jackson, who they traded up for. And Edelman ain't that good. People compare him to Welker because he's white and of the same stature, but he's not nearly as talented and has questionable hands.

Holt has done nothing in at least two years. He appeared to be done last year, and frankly I'd be surprised if he makes the team come September. The Pats have had plenty of wideout misses -- Gaffney, Stallworth, Galloway, and our very own Chad Jackson, who they traded up for. And Edelman ain't that good. People compare him to Welker because he's white and of the same stature, but he's not nearly as talented and has questionable hands.

I agree.

I bet Wilfork requested this so he can use Holt's crooked finger to tickle his prostate.

Dude, that could be the funniest thing I'll read all year.

Too comical. Terrell Owens was the Bills #1 receiver last year and caught 55 balls. Holt caught 51 and 64 balls the past two years. Nothing indeed. In Buffalo, he'd be given the key to the city and a free bowling ball.

You of all people should know better than to trust those stats. On a team with a remotely decent QB and line last year, TO would have had 75-80 catches. He was open all season. Holt had 51 catches last year, not the year before, on a team with a solid line and a decent QB and without a receiving counterpart like Evans to siphon away catches. Also, there's a reason his last two teams let him go. Finally, he had zero TDs last year. TO also has a better YPC. TO is a better player right now, simply put. The reason he's had no bites has everything to do with his grating personality.

Plus Holt has an arthritic knee condition that has slowed him down. Is he better than Sam Aiken? Yes, I'll grant that.

You of all people should know better than to trust those stats. On a team with a remotely decent QB and line last year, TO would have had 75-80 catches. He was open all season. Holt had 51 catches last year, not the year before, on a team with a solid line and a decent QB and without a receiving counterpart like Evans to siphon away catches. Also, there's a reason his last two teams let him go. Finally, he had zero TDs last year. TO also has a better YPC. TO is a better player right now, simply put. The reason he's had no bites has everything to do with his grating personality.

Plus Holt has an arthritic knee condition that has slowed him down. Is he better than Sam Aiken? Yes, I'll grant that.

And that's all Holt has to be is better than Aiken.

But, I will say this. Holt, with his brains, hands and experience, in combination with Moss outside and Welker/Edelman inside, could make for a very intriguing target for Brady.

Here, Torry. You can use Colvin's old locker. It still has some HGH syringes laying around.

PTR

I haven't seen pics of Mr. Holt.

Normally I would be the first to call a snake a snake, but I don't believe Holt's physique is anything on the HGH range. Joey Galloway, certainly. But not Holt.

I think you are making the mistake of looking at a player, his age, and simply assuming that if he is still playing then he must be on something.

The thing to keep in mind, is that if he is IMPROVING as he ages, then THAT is a telltale sign of HGH. Mr. Barry Bonds could write a book on that one.