Bills offered McNabb an extension

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying is one thing. Succeeding is another. It's time to admit the Bills reputation across the league is barely above the Raiders. McNabb indicated he wanted an extension, and the Bills were willing to do it according to one reference. So he goes to a team that hasn't given him one.

There is no substitute for victory...

I think McNabb insisted on Washington so he could stick it to the man twice every year. I don't blame him.

I'm glad the Bills didn't get him. They have bigger fish to fry right now. A stop gap QB isn't the most dire need, IMO.

Trying is one thing. Succeeding is another. It's time to admit the Bills reputation across the league is barely above the Raiders. McNabb indicated he wanted an extension, and the Bills were willing to do it according to one reference. So he goes to a team that hasn't given him one.

JC, BillsVet. You and Spartacus are the biggest downers. Lots of naysayers here but you guys have some credibility and stature and are so completely negative.

Rightly or wrongly McNabb was not going to come here.

Furthermore, how long do you think it'll be before Washington locks him up to a long term deal? Because you know it's going to happen.

Everything alright in your life aside from The Stadium Wall? You seem unhappy.

Can't blame McNabb...this organization is a complete and utter disgrace.

A little advice to fans here: NEVER get excited for guys available FA or trade...YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME.

Players do NOT want to come here to play. End of story.

JC, BillsVet. You and Spartacus are the biggest downers. Lots of naysayers here but you guys have some credibility and stature and are so completely negative.

Rightly or wrongly McNabb was not going to come here.

Furthermore, how long do you think it'll be before Washington locks him up to a long term deal? Because you know it's going to happen.

Everything alright in your life aside from The Stadium Wall? You seem unhappy.

Reality is really an endangered species at TBD.

I don't care about not getting McNabb...it's the fact that a high quality player made it known he didn't want to play here even if he did get an extension. Oh I'm sure someone will come out and say DM is a jerk and screw him anyway. Instead of ripping DM, how about asking some questions about this Bills team that hasn't proven one thing in 10 years? This is about the team and their rep being so low that big name NFL people make it known they don't want to coach or play there. When that will dawn on the homer fans is anyone's doubt.

Anyone ever wonder why this team can't attract proven people for GM, HC, or even a starting QB? We keep seeing the same thing over and over again, but apparently it's not enough. In order for the Bills to get back to respectability, they need to climb a mountain in the Himalayas. And that ain't happening anytime soon.

Reality is really an endangered species at TBD.

I don't care about not getting McNabb...it's the fact that a high quality player made it known he didn't want to play here even if he did get an extension. Oh I'm sure someone will come out and say DM is a jerk and screw him anyway. Instead of ripping DM, how about asking some questions about this Bills team that hasn't proven one thing in 10 years? This is about the team and their rep being so low that big name NFL people make it known they don't want to coach or play there. When that will dawn on the homer fans is anyone's doubt.

Anyone ever wonder why this team can't attract proven people for GM, HC, or even a starting QB? We keep seeing the same thing over and over again, but apparently it's not enough. In order for the Bills to get back to respectability, they need to climb a mountain in the Himalayas. And that ain't happening anytime soon.

See, I agree with 90% of what you write. Not only that but you have a healthy skepticism and a strong sense of history and perspective. That's why I said you have stature and credibility.

It's the 10% that gets me. It seems like you mentioned in one post (forgive me if I'm wrong) that getting McNabb would be a marketing/ticket sales move. But you also mentioned in another post that you didn't think the Bills would trade for him because they wouldn't be willing to ante up an extension. Now that it appears that the Bills were willing to at least attempt to meet McNabb's demands, the fact that he spurned us is your focus.

My intuition is that McNabb wants to stick it to his old team and maybe win a championship in the bargain and that he could do neither with the Bills. I'm also hopeful that the organization is headed for a turnaround although I, like you, am a realist.

Anyways, thanks for responding and sorry if I took a cheap shot.

See, I agree with 90% of what you write. Not only that but you have a healthy skepticism and a strong sense of history and perspective. That's why I said you have stature and credibility.

It's the 10% that gets me. It seems like you mentioned in one post (forgive me if I'm wrong) that getting McNabb would be a marketing/ticket sales move. But you also mentioned in another post that you didn't think the Bills would trade for him because they wouldn't be willing to ante up an extension. Now that it appears that the Bills were willing to at least attempt to meet McNabb's demands, the fact that he spurned us is your focus.

My intuition is that McNabb wants to stick it to his old team and maybe win a championship in the bargain and that he could do neither with the Bills. I'm also hopeful that the organization is headed for a turnaround although I, like you, am a realist.

Anyways, thanks for responding and sorry if I took a cheap shot.

I've never made the point that McNabb would be a sales/marketing move. Definitely head and shoulders above what the TO signings was and would command respect league wide. Indicates a desire to win-now.

Look, I'm former military and I don't like hearing that someone tried repeatedly but continues to fail. At some point, you've got to succeed. Trouble with Buffalo is, their reputation seems to precede them and they come away empty handed.

You didn't take a cheap shot, and I don't take anything you say that way. I suppose I shouldn't follow this team as closely, but I want them to win and they've done nothing in my mind during this extremely critical offseason to show that.

McNabb wanted to go to a team with a vision, not one back into rebuild mode for the third time in 10 seasons. Can't say that I blame him.

I've never made the point that McNabb would be a sales/marketing move. Definitely head and shoulders above what the TO signings was and would command respect league wide. Indicates a desire to win-now.

Look, I'm former military and I don't like hearing that someone tried repeatedly but continues to fail. At some point, you've got to succeed. Trouble with Buffalo is, their reputation seems to precede them and they come away empty handed.

You didn't take a cheap shot, and I don't take anything you say that way. I suppose I shouldn't follow this team as closely, but I want them to win and they've done nothing in my mind during this extremely critical offseason to show that.

McNabb wanted to go to a team with a vision, not one back into rebuild mode for the third time in 10 seasons. Can't say that I blame him.

I agree with everything you're saying except the bolded part.

Ya, we're not an attractive landing spot to big name players. But to say they've done nothing this offseason when they clearly did everything they could to land McNabb is just inaccurate.

I'd also be interested to hear your idea for what this organization should do to become attractive again, save from winning of course.

I wanted McNabb, yeah. There, I got it out there.

Now, Philadelphia has drastically changed their entire Offensive skilled positions. Their average age has dropped from 30 years old to 23 years old. I compared McNabb, Westbrook, R. Brown and LJ Smith to Kolb, McCoy, Maclin and Celek.

Even if you compare just the QB and RB it is a difference of 31 years old to 23 years old. That is crazy. It is 5 years experience, not many games...to 20+ years of experience, while making the Playoffs many times and a Super Bowl once.

I kind of feel bad for Philly fans. I wonder how this will effect them? Will Andy Reid look like an idiot? <_<

yeah, sucking for the better part of 10 years will do that to ya...then again, what have the Redskins won lately? I guess he figures at least he can play the Eagles twice a year...

At the same time, the Skins' 2nd was higher than ours and they might have to give up a 3rd. That's would be a tough package for us to beat. Personally, I think the Eagles would have been smart to trade him out of the division but the Skins is probably a better offer than we could have given.

The Redskins were 4-12 and had a worse oline than ours.

Honestly, with how miserable this team makes you, maybe you should find some else to do with your time. Or at the very least, you could give the team at least a draft before calling Nix/ Whaley failures. It's April man. Enjoy the weather.

At the same time, the Skins' 2nd was higher than ours and they might have to give up a 3rd. That's would be a tough package for us to beat. Personally, I think the Eagles would have been smart to trade him out of the division but the Skins is probably a better offer than we could have given.

Lost in all of this are two things, one of which you just mentioned. For us to have been the BEST offer, we would have had to give our 2nd, plus another conditional 2nd next year, or do something like swap first round picks this year too. Nobody seems to even notice that the Skins pick is 5 spaces higher.

The Skins put a big offer on the table, the best offer, and one that we would have had to give up a pretty good bounty to beat.

Then the other point, which has been mentioned here and there, is that the Eagles wanted to do everything they could to make McNabb happy as well if possible. He clearly would prefer the Skins where he gets to play the Eagles twice a year. To top it off, McNabb gets to go to a team that will spend money to get him weapons, has one of the best offensive minded coaching staffs now with the Shannahans (with SB's to show for it), a load of offensive weapons at WR, TE, and RB, plus the #4 pick in the draft.

I am huge Bills fan, and even I cant blame him for preferring to be there. Not to mention, he doesnt care if he gets an extension or not, because if he doesnt then he gets to pick where he plays next year where he will still be good enough and young enough to get a great deal somewhere.

McNabb made the best choice for him, and I respect that. The Eagles made the best deal for them, and I respect that. More importantly, the Bills stepped up and made a legitimate offer without giving up the farm, and I really respect that. I see no fault by our FO on this one, nor do I think McNabb was wrong to want to go to the Skins who definitely give him a better position to be in at this moment in time.

philly be ok, they shouldnt worry much..they already have a young QB that looks he can get the job done, we all find out.. I really dont care about other teams tho..I'm a die hard bills fan and i would always love my team no matter what happens

Great job, by Buddy <_< If he offered McNabb an extension, and his second round pick, then there is nothing more he could have done to get him in here.

Great job, by Buddy <_< If he offered McNabb an extension, and his second round pick, then there is nothing more he could have done to get him in here.

Even if Buddy offered two first rounders, we would not have landed him. He obviously wants to stick it

to the Eagles twice a year, don't blame him.

I was on the fence about him anyway. The nice thing about landing him would have been to take the

pressure off needing a QB in this years draft, but would have transferred to next year.

Well at least listening to Jeremy White should be interesting tomorrow morning.

Interesting if you like whiney douchbags that think they know everything, talk down to callers, and hump Mama Pecorano's leg.

I wanted McNabb, yeah. There, I got it out there.

Now, Philadelphia has drastically changed their entire Offensive skilled positions. Their average age has dropped from 30 years old to 23 years old. I compared McNabb, Westbrook, R. Brown and LJ Smith to Kolb, McCoy, Maclin and Celek.

Even if you compare just the QB and RB it is a difference of 31 years old to 23 years old. That is crazy. It is 5 years experience, not many games...to 20+ years of experience, while making the Playoffs many times and a Super Bowl once.

I kind of feel bad for Philly fans. I wonder how this will effect them? Will Andy Reid look like an idiot? <_<

Philly fans didn't want McNabb, McNabb didn't want you, the Bills now have a definite possibility of drafting a franchise QB in the first...so I have to ask, why do you care so much about Philly and their fans????

Can't blame McNabb...this organization is a complete and utter disgrace.

A little advice to fans here: NEVER get excited for guys available FA or trade...YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME.

Players do NOT want to come here to play. End of story.

Going to the Bills is like being sent down to the minor leagues. As long as there is anywhere else to go, who wants to do that? Bribery won't work. the better players have plenty of cash. they can choose where they play. and b lo is at the bottom of everyone's list. We get the players no one else wants. Schobel would be smart to retire. this franchise is lousy.

<_< That's why he wanted to go to the Redskins, who finished below the Bills last year.

some people are not happy that we dont have Mcnabb, but im very happy we dont have him right now..

RIght on mentalsick, I completely agree. In my view all McNabb would have brought to Buffalo is a couple of years riding out losing seasons. This team needs a total rebuild, regardless of what management, the media or anyone else will try and sell to the fans.

The OL, DL and LB corp need to be addressed this draft. So we admit were going to be horrible next season, big deal folks, we admitted that in the late 80's as we rebuilt into a superbowl contender. Its a cycle that, as unfortunate as reality is, this team failed to address on a serious level for 10+ years. Now its byting them in the ass, but no biggie, just do the rebuild and get it done and stop trying to feed the fan base some over rated, over the hill QB like McNabb.

What I don't get is how and why did McNabb have any say whatsoever. Unless he had a no-trade clause, how in god's name does he dictate where he goes? If the Bills offered the Eagles a 1st round pick vs. the redskins' 2nd and 3rd or whatever, the Eagles would have taken it, no matter what McNabb's personal feelings were about playing in Buffalo. I just don't get how players have such control. Oh well, McNabb is washed up anyways. We would have hated to have him here.

Gee thanks Capt. Obvious. I think some of us have been saying this for YEARS now, but the rabid fanbase won't believe it.

Lets see, Shanahan turns down 10 mill per, Cowher says no thanks, McNabb says no thanks....what else will it take for fans to get it?

We will have to make this team a winner through the DRAFT, THEN Free agents will want to come here.

Gee thanks Capt. Obvious. I think some of us have been saying this for YEARS now, but the rabid fanbase won't believe it.

Lets see, Shanahan turns down 10 mill per, Cowher says no thanks, McNabb says no thanks....what else will it take for fans to get it?

We will have to make this team a winner through the DRAFT, THEN Free agents will want to come here.

Doubtful, unless they win a SB.

I appreciate your link....but where is Jason Cole's link? If he was just another poster on this board, he's be killed. But the venerable Yahoo Sports has credibility? I'm not hacking on PTR, but there's so many "insiders", I just don't believe any of it. If it was a better deal for Phillly, they would have traded McNabb here regardless of what he wanted.

I will tell you, having teams like Washington, Seattle and Cleveland effectively pass on Claussen concerns me. Maybe he's just not that good?

Props to Buddy for trying, unfortunately the previous regimes have left the team in such disarray that the Bills have become a pariah in the NFL.

Previous regime? How did I miss the news that Wilson sold the team?

I appreciate your link....but where is Jason Cole's link? If he was just another poster on this board, he's be killed. But the venerable Yahoo Sports has credibility? I'm not hacking on PTR, but there's so many "insiders", I just don't believe any of it. If it was a better deal for Phillly, they would have traded McNabb here regardless of what he wanted.

I will tell you, having teams like Washington, Seattle and Cleveland effectively pass on Claussen concerns me. Maybe he's just not that good?

Or maybe it's the first big break this franchise has seen since before the Buffalo Bills kicked off of at the end of the MCM game.

This gets tossed out a lot here. Link?

All I can find is this quote in a Carucci story:

"You're probably talking about $50 million over five years and maybe even a piece of the team," said a source close to Shanahan. "And by all indications, (Bills owner Ralph) Wilson is ready to have that conversation."

What gives this away as dubious speculation (besides the "10 million a year") is the part that suggests Ralph would be willing to part with any sliver of ownership.

I agree with that. A good GM makes it happen, he doesn't make excuses (a la Darcy Regier). However, I wouldn't want to give a 2nd and 3rd for a 33 year old QB, who couldn't win a Super Bowl in Philly where the talent around him was significantly better then Buffalo's.