Bills offered McNabb an extension

I agree - they acted, with respect to what's going down in the NFL in the coming years.

I don't think so at all. This move had nothing to do with the economics of 2011. Hasn't here been talk of trading McNabb for the past few offseasons? The fans are tired of him. Westbrook was cooked. Most agree that Kolb is a solid QB.

If there was a CBA in place beyond this season, they would have made the exact same moves.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you 100%, I hope McNabb & the Skins beat the Eagles twice a year. But a majority of Bills fans on here don't see the revenge factor in McNabb's decision for not wanting to play in Buffalo, they see it as another failure. I've already read the bitching and moaning "The Bills can't land anyone good' "Nobody wants to come here" "Bills are the laughing stock of the NFL" "Cowher, Shanahan...etc didn't want to come here".... STFU already!!!!!! I wish chatrooms were around back in 1986, that way we could look back at all of the doom and gloomers bitching about when Bill Polian hired Marv Levy, just right after Polian fired Bullough.

If anyone's the laughing stock of the NFL, it has to be the Raiders & Lions, they're much worse off than the Bills. And you're right about the Levy hire, I remember hearing that Levy wasn't a good coach from his days in KC, plus the Bills had back-to-back 2-14 seasons when Levy took over. We're gonna have to build through the draft. Once we have built a playoff contender, free agents will want to come here.

So, Philly does right by their former player and you hope it comes back to bite them in the butt? What's your logic?

Look at the way Eagles management has handled McNabb the last 2 years. They talked about trading McNabb last year and/or possibly starting Kolb. Most importantly, look at how Eagles fans have treated McNabb since's he was drafted. Eagles fans booed McNabb from the start, because they wanted the Eagles to draft Ricky Williams.

Trying is one thing. Succeeding is another. It's time to admit the Bills reputation across the league is barely above the Raiders. McNabb indicated he wanted an extension, and the Bills were willing to do it according to one reference. So he goes to a team that hasn't given him one.

There is no substitute for victory...

Much better for McNabb to go to a team without an extension if he has a good year this year. He can then take bids on his services for the future. It is the Bills who would have to insist on an extension because it makes no sense to give up valuable draft picks for a short term player.

I don't think so at all. This move had nothing to do with the economics of 2011. Hasn't here been talk of trading McNabb for the past few offseasons? The fans are tired of him. Westbrook was cooked. Most agree that Kolb is a solid QB.

If there was a CBA in place beyond this season, they would have made the exact same moves.

Then, a question would be...how is Kolb going to show, in light of their other changes?

I'm not sure who "most" are, wrt Kolb...12 game appearances , 2 starts, in his 3 years. Now we will see...

I agree with that. A good GM makes it happen, he doesn't make excuses (a la Darcy Regier). However, I wouldn't want to give a 2nd and 3rd for a 33 year old QB, who couldn't win a Super Bowl in Philly where the talent around him was significantly better then Buffalo's.

If you mean that a good GM would have held McNabb's family hostage until he signed with the Bills, then I would agree, because that's about the only way you could have gotten him. Face it. Building though the draft is our only option.

PTR

Then, a question would be...how is Kolb going to show, in light of their other changes?

I'm not sure who "most" are, wrt Kolb...12 game appearances , 2 starts, in his 3 years. Now we will see...

This day was long coming---you can't deny it. Sure, "who knows" what Kolb can do, I guess.

McNabb has his maximum value (to teams OTHER than the Eagles) right now---it was apparent to everyone in the Philly FO. One bad year in 2010 and he would be worthless in trade. They have watched Kolb fro several years and feel he is a far better value at QB.

This is absolutely no suspense in this story. Only the fact that they sent him in the Division is interesting.

Look at the way Eagles management has handled McNabb the last 2 years. They talked about trading McNabb last year and/or possibly starting Kolb. Most importantly, look at how Eagles fans have treated McNabb since's he was drafted. Eagles fans booed McNabb from the start, because they wanted the Eagles to draft Ricky Williams.

And they did right by him in the end. Reportedly there were better offers from Oakland and Buffalo but Philly chose to send McNabb to a division rival knowing full well that he could come back to haunt them.

Philly fans booed?

They booed a pick?

Oh the horror! A Buffalo fan would never to that.

McNabb is better off in Washington & if they get decent line play then Shanahan will extend his career by a couple years. To me that's a win.

If you mean that a good GM would have held McNabb's family hostage until he signed with the Bills, then I would agree, because that's about the only way you could have gotten him. Face it. Building though the draft is our only option.

PTR

I'm with you on this one, PTR. Nix tried. Made the offer(s) that he could. What else could he do? Nothing. Instead of blaming Nix for not doing enough, or hating McNabb for not wanting to come here, I'm just recognizing what the Bills are. They're a team that no top notch free agents, trading block players or coaches want to play for. To compare us to the Raiders is an accurate comparison. So don't hate the long list of coaches who chose unemployment over Buffalo. Don't hate the players who don't want to play here. Just hope that the current regime will have a good draft and move in the direction of respectability. "If you build it, they will come" doesn't only pertain to a baseball field. GO BILLS!!!!

I agree, great to see this new front office has a clue and tried to get Mcnabb. I am now not really a donavan mcnabb fan anymore. I liked him cause of his syracuse ties, but am pretty disappointed he declined Buffalo. Oh well, good try FO

I agree, great to see this new front office has a clue and tried to get Mcnabb. I am now not really a donavan mcnabb fan anymore. I liked him cause of his syracuse ties, but am pretty disappointed he declined Buffalo. Oh well, good try FO

exactly. i take away from this a better feeling since it shows that the FO is not happy with our current QBs and is trying to make a change. Cant blame them in a situation where the player held a lot of control and wanted to go play for a divisional rival.

i would have loved to get McNabb, for a 3rd round pick. but NOT for a 2nd and 3rd (or more).

all we can say about this is "unfortunately, it didnt work out"

:thumbsup: That's why he wanted to go to the Redskins, who finished below the Bills last year.

Bills playoff appearances in the last 10 years: zero

Redskins playoff appearances in the last 4 years: one

Redskins playoff WINS in the last 4 years: one

That's a major difference.

Bills playoff appearances in the last 10 years: zero

Redskins playoff appearances in the last 4 years: one

Redskins playoff WINS in the last 4 years: one

That's a major difference.

One of the richest sports teams in the world should be proud of that.

So, Philly does right by their former player and you hope it comes back to bite them in the butt? What's your logic?

It's a business. It was extremely stupid to even take the chance of letting McNabb play you twice a year. It's just beyond dumb. Trade him out of the conference or at the very least out of the division.

And even though there are a few good ones, I wish nothing but the worst for Eagles fans. They never gave McNabb the respect he deserved and wanted him to leave every year. I hope he owns them while he is on the Skins (who I also hate).