Jimmy Clausen PFW scouting report

The (you decide) irrelevant stuff from notes: From California, 6/07 illegal transportation of alcohol, 11/21/09 punched in face by fan in Connecticut. Junior, but 23 years old because didn't start kindergarten until 6 & left back in 6th grade at parents request (shades of Marinovich with parents trying to get an edge as a kid).

The good, bad & ugly (just look at his photo)

"Positives: Fluid in his drops. Good field vision and QB instincts. Recognizes mismatches and understands where and when to go with the ball. Has shown he will hang in the pocket and pick himself off the ground after taking big hits behind a very marginal O-line. Good touch and overall accuracy. Has played under center in a pro-style offense, is very well-coached and makes decisive, pro-style reads. Carries the ball high on the shelf and picks apart defenses when given time. Can manipulate defenders and move safties with his eyes. Learned how to rotate his hips into his throws. Can drive the deep out and sling it into tight windows-can hit the deep outs, comebacks and posts and make all the throws. Angry competitor-plays with gusto. Has shown a lot of magic on big stages and thrived in high-pressure situations. Carries a swagger and has a very confident demeanor when the game is on the line-wants the ball in his hands in the clutch and will recommend plays. Good on-field energy and bounce in his step. Battles through injuries-took pain killing injections in his foot to play most of the season. Improved work ethic. The game is very important to him, and he showed an improved on-field command as a junior. Very experienced.

Negatives: Too manufactured-has a high effort delivery. Tends to hop in the pocket and is not much of a scrambling threat-can be flustered by the rush and takes too many sacks. Has a tendency to overstride when he goes deep, lowering his release point, and has to put his entire body into the throw and chuck it like it's a javelin. Puts too much air underneath the deep ball and launches some rainmakers. Inconsistent deep accuracy- was 0-for-7 throwing to his deep right in five games charted the past two years. Has an awkward follow-through and too often falls backward after he throws. Had a strong supporting cast with receivers who attacked the ball. Has a sense of entitlement, having attended private schools, worked with private QB coaches and being sheltered by his family, who bought a house on campus so his brothers had a place to stay for every game. Arrogant-can come off as having all the answers and struggle to win a locker room. Still immature. Comes across as overly staged, scripted and disingenuous in interviews and does not have the type of presence desired in the face of a franchise. Is not a fan of the weight room.

Summary: A tough, instinctive, competitive gamer who overhauled his mechanics from the time he was a freshman, physically matured and developed into a decisive marksman. Has been groomed by Charlie Weis and has an advanced understanding of the game that will allow him to step into a starting lineup readily. However, he is cut from the same cloth as Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman, possessing an elitist attitude and selfishness that could polarize a locker room and create needless drama that may detract from a team. The defining question of his career is whether he possesses the intangibles and makeup to become a leader and win the respect of his teammates."

Haha! Love the JP Losman citation.

If I were the Bills, I'd run away from Clausen as if there were a pack of zombies running after me by just reading that.

Dawn of the Dead was an underrated movie.

More scary than good. I would hate to have Clausen. Something about him rubs me wrong. The guy is my age and I can just tell I would not like him if he went to my school. I like the part of the report that he throws the ball like a javelin, because its true.

Staged and disingenuous are good words to describe his interviews...I don't think he's worth a top ten pick if I'm looking to build a franchise...only Bradford is top quality in this year's QB's...other QB's will do great things, but they aren't top round billion dollar picks...

Would it help if he led everyone in prayer at the wonderlick test?

(Just kidding)

All I care about is if he can play.......our very own Jim Kelly was a @sshole at a younger age as was Thurman Thomas......Ben R. was having sexual assault rumors about him before it ever started turning up recently.

All I care about is if he can play

The (you decide) irrelevant stuff from notes: From California, 6/07 illegal transportation of alcohol, 11/21/09 punched in face by fan in Connecticut. Junior, but 23 years old because didn't start kindergarten until 6 & left back in 6th grade at parents request (shades of Marinovich with parents trying to get an edge as a kid).

"Positives: Fluid in his drops. Good field vision and QB instincts. Recognizes mismatches and understands where and when to go with the ball. Has shown he will hang in the pocket and pick himself off the ground after taking big hits behind a very marginal O-line. Good touch and overall accuracy. Has played under center in a pro-style offense, is very well-coached and makes decisive, pro-style reads. Carries the ball high on the shelf and picks apart defenses when given time. Can manipulate defenders and move safties with his eyes. Learned how to rotate his hips into his throws. Can drive the deep out and sling it into tight windows-can hit the deep outs, comebacks and posts and make all the throws. Angry competitor-plays with gusto. Has shown a lot of magic on big stages and thrived in high-pressure situations. Carries a swagger and has a very confident demeanor when the game is on the line-wants the ball in his hands in the clutch and will recommend plays. Good on-field energy and bounce in his step. Battles through injuries-took pain killing injections in his foot to play most of the season. Improved work ethic. The game is very important to him, and he showed an improved on-field command as a junior. Very experienced.

Negatives: Too manufactured-has a high effort delivery. Tends to hop in the pocket and is not much of a scrambling threat-can be flustered by the rush and takes too many sacks. Has a tendency to overstride when he goes deep, lowering his release point, and has to put his entire body into the throw and chuck it like it's a javelin. Puts too much air underneath the deep ball and launches some rainmakers. Inconsistent deep accuracy- was 0-for-7 throwing to his deep right in five games charted the past two years. Has an awkward follow-through and too often falls backward after he throws. Had a strong supporting cast with receivers who attacked the ball. Has a sense of entitlement, having attended private schools, worked with private QB coaches and being sheltered by his family, who bought a house on campus so his brothers had a place to stay for every game. Arrogant-can come off as having all the answers and struggle to win a locker room. Still immature. Comes across as overly staged, scripted and disingenuous in interviews and does not have the type of presence desired in the face of a franchise. Is not a fan of the weight room.

Summary: A tough, instinctive, competitive gamer who overhauled his mechanics from the time he was a freshman, physically matured and developed into a decisive marksman. Has been groomed by Charlie Weis and has an advanced understanding of the game that will allow him to step into a starting lineup readily. However, he is cut from the same cloth as Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman, possessing an elitist attitude and selfishness that could polarize a locker room and create needless drama that may detract from a team. The defining question of his career is whether he possesses the intangibles and makeup to become a leader and win the respect of his teammates."

Link, please!!!!!!!!!!!! Reading this in this format would make me go completely blind. And you ought to be linking anyway when you take something from a site.

Link, please!!!!!!!!!!!! Reading this in this format would make me go completely blind. And you ought to be linking anyway when you take something from a site.

No Link available. Do you really think I'd type all this stuff if I could link it? I type 1 finger at a time. It's not from a website, it's from Pro Football Weekly's Draft Preview which is not on a website, unless you pay for the entire book & download the adobe file. The best I could do was quote the relevant stuff on Clausen.

This is aweak qb class. Clausen is not worth a top ten pick. Cannot make all the throws and to much air under his balls. Bradford and McCoy are system qb's that played well in the spread offense. I think the value lies in the picking a later round guy like Pike, Lefevour or Skelton. I am in love with Pike. He has the it factor and if he could ride the pine for a year and gain some weight and experiance we will have a great qb. Same goes for Skelton, some time in practice will do him wonders. Lefevour I have cooled off some on.

Would it help if he led everyone in prayer at the wonderlick test?

(Just kidding)

All I care about is if he can play.......our very own Jim Kelly was a @sshole at a younger age as was Thurman Thomas......Ben R. was having sexual assault rumors about him before it ever started turning up recently.

All I care about is if he can play

Jimbo could definitely be an arrogant jerk in his early days. I saw it firsthand at a few Buffalo nightclubs in the day. But that said, there was never any doubt, even during the Bickering Bills days that he was the leader in the locker room. Thurman and Bruce might have popped off every now and then, but everyone on the team, and every fan in the stands knew he was "DA MAN". Clausen didn't show that at ND, and the PFW write up pretty much confirms my own thoughts and observations.

yay Connecticut! :blink:

too much air under his balls.

Clausen has to stop sitting on AC units :blink:

Seriously, you're right, this is a very weak QB class. That's why trying to get the Bills to guess correctly which late rounder will make it-something they haven't done right since drafting Lamonica, is really asking a lot. That's why I'm in favor of trading for either McNabb or Kolb, because I don't think the Bills can get it right on a QB in this draft & I don't think any of the QBs on our roster can lead us to a winning record.

No Link available. Do you really think I'd type all this stuff if I could link it? I type 1 finger at a time. It's not from a website, it's from Pro Football Weekly's Draft Preview which is not on a website, unless you pay for the entire book & download the adobe file. The best I could do was quote the relevant stuff on Clausen.

Fair enough, man. Next time, do you think you could put some spaces in, and make paragraphs and stuff? Please!!!!!

Seriously, I can't read that. My eyes get exhausted after the second line.

Still, kudos to you for service to the boards.

Fair enough, man. Next time, do you think you could put some spaces in, and make paragraphs and stuff? Please!!!!!

Seriously, I can't read that. My eyes get exhausted after the second line.

Still, kudos to you for service to the boards.

How's this:

The (you decide) irrelevant stuff from notes: From California, 6/07 illegal transportation of alcohol, 11/21/09 punched in

face by fan in Connecticut. Junior, but 23 years old because didn't start kindergarten until 6 & left back in 6th grade at

parents request (shades of Marinovich with parents trying to get an edge as a kid).

"Positives: Fluid in his drops. Good field vision and QB instincts. Recognizes mismatches and understands where and when

to go with the ball. Has shown he will hang in the pocket and pick himself off the ground after taking big hits behind a very

marginal O-line. Good touch and overall accuracy. Has played under center in a pro-style offense, is very well-coached

and makes decisive, pro-style reads. Carries the ball high on the shelf and picks apart defenses when given time. Can

manipulate defenders and move safties with his eyes. Learned how to rotate his hips into his throws. Can drive the deep

out and sling it into tight windows-can hit the deep outs, comebacks and posts and make all the throws. Angry competitor-

plays with gusto. Has shown a lot of magic on big stages and thrived in high-pressure situations. Carries a swagger and

has a very confident demeanor when the game is on the line-wants the ball in his hands in the clutch and will recommend

plays. Good on-field energy and bounce in his step. Battles through injuries-took pain killing injections in his foot to play

most of the season. Improved work ethic. The game is very important to him, and he showed an improved on-field

command as a junior. Very experienced.

Negatives: Too manufactured-has a high effort delivery. Tends to hop in the pocket and is not much of a scrambling

threat-can be flustered by the rush and takes too many sacks. Has a tendency to overstride when he goes deep, lowering

his release point, and has to put his entire body into the throw and chuck it like it's a javelin. Puts too much air

underneath the deep ball and launches some rainmakers. Inconsistent deep accuracy- was 0-for-7 throwing to his deep

right in five games charted the past two years. Has an awkward follow-through and too often falls backward after he

throws. Had a strong supporting cast with receivers who attacked the ball. Has a sense of entitlement, having attended

private schools, worked with private QB coaches and being sheltered by his family, who bought a house on campus so his

brothers had a place to stay for every game. Arrogant-can come off as having all the answers and struggle to win a

locker room. Still immature. Comes across as overly staged, scripted and disingenuous in interviews and does not have

the type of presence desired in the face of a franchise. Is not a fan of the weight room.

Summary: A tough, instinctive, competitive gamer who overhauled his mechanics from the time he was a freshman,

physically matured and developed into a decisive marksman. Has been groomed by Charlie Weis and has an advanced

understanding of the game that will allow him to step into a starting lineup readily. However, he is cut from the same cloth

as Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman, possessing an elitist attitude and selfishness that could polarize a locker room and

create needless drama that may detract from a team. The defining question of his career is whether he possesses the

intangibles and makeup to become a leader and win the respect of his teammates."

he is cut from the same cloth as Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman

All I needed to read.

What's the problem? This guy did us a favor by typing this all in. I'll be buying the PFW book once it hits the stands, but I for one appreciate the sneak preview.

This is aweak qb class. Clausen is not worth a top ten pick. Cannot make all the throws and to much air under his balls. Bradford and McCoy are system qb's that played well in the spread offense. I think the value lies in the picking a later round guy like Pike, Lefevour or Skelton. I am in love with Pike. He has the it factor and if he could ride the pine for a year and gain some weight and experiance we will have a great qb. Same goes for Skelton, some time in practice will do him wonders. Lefevour I have cooled off some on.

Oh, come on, find one professional pundit who says Clausen can't make all the throws. He can. He's got a very strong arm.

"Has a strong arm and is capable of making all throws with zip and accuracy. "

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile...rospect_id=2387

"Arm strength: While Clausen's arm is strong enough for the NFL, he can't accurately make all deep throws. On deep outs Clausen will take some zip off the ball and not deliver it as quickly. It will also take him a while to get deep passes out as he has to rely on his body to get the ball out. His arm will never be confused for Joe Flacco's or Matt Stafford's, but it's every bit as strong as Mark Sanchez's."

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2009/12/8/1...-draft-scouting

" Very good arm strength; can fit balls into tight windows ... Great touch ... Sometimes gets too much air under fade route" Note: "sometimes" which implies that it's not lack of arm strength ... it's coachable.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010jclausen.php

"...a strong arm and excellent accuracy. ... throws well on the run. ... Clausen throws a nice deep ball, but his strength is in the intermediate passing game where he can deliver the ball with the most zip. He leads his targets well and knows how to throw the ball in tight coverage, putting it where only his receiver can catch it. "

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recr...scouting_report

EDIT: Heck, here's the quote from the OP's article he got from the PFW magazine: "Can drive the deep out and sling it into tight windows-can hit the deep outs, comebacks and posts and make all the throws. "

--------

It's pretty clear that people are saying that sometimes he floats it too much, but not that it's because he hasn't got the arm.

There are a few questions about the guy. Arm strength isn't one of them.

Jimbo could definitely be an arrogant jerk in his early days. I saw it firsthand at a few Buffalo nightclubs in the day. But that said, there was never any doubt, even during the Bickering Bills days that he was the leader in the locker room. Thurman and Bruce might have popped off every now and then, but everyone on the team, and every fan in the stands knew he was "DA MAN". Clausen didn't show that at ND, and the PFW write up pretty much confirms my own thoughts and observations.

Jim is still DA MAN. That being said I kind of never wanted to like Clausen, but the stats do not lie. His Senior year was incredible behind a weak O-Line. Weis raves about the kid and his teammates love him. DRAFT CLAUSEN. PERIOD.

Jim is still DA MAN. That being said I kind of never wanted to like Clausen, but the stats do not lie. His Senior year was incredible behind a weak O-Line. Weis raves about the kid and his teammates love him. DRAFT CLAUSEN. PERIOD.

as for the comparisons to JP Losman....who knows, if Losman would have had Chan Gailey maybe he would have turned a corner at some point. He didn't, we all know that....QBs need surroundings - coaching / line / talent, etc

as for the comparisons to JP Losman....who knows, if Losman would have had Chan Gailey maybe he would have turned a corner at some point. He didn't, we all know that....QBs need surroundings - coaching / line / talent, etc

TULANE DOES NOT EQUAL NOTRE DAME...Clausen has been under the microscope for a while now and has evolved a bit.

However, he is cut from the same cloth as Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman, possessing an elitist attitude and selfishness that could polarize a locker room and create needless drama that may detract from a team

That's the operative language. If you've got an elitist attitude and a selfish personality, well, you've gotta have the goods on game day. Jim Kelly was cocky son-of-a-B word, but he had all-world talent and earned it. Losman/Grossman, um, less so. That language basically means the same as this, from earlier:

Angry competitor-plays with gusto...Carries a swagger and has a very confident demeanor when the game is on the line-wants the ball in his hands in the clutch and will recommend plays.

If it works, you're a swaggering winner. If it doesn't you're a 'hole. Couldn't tell you which he's going to do.

TULANE DOES NOT EQUAL NOTRE DAME...Clausen has been under the microscope for a while now and has evolved a bit.

Arguing with yourself? :blink:

Oh, come on, find one professional pundit who says Clausen can't make all the throws. He can. He's got a very strong arm.

"Has a strong arm and is capable of making all throws with zip and accuracy. "

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile...rospect_id=2387

"Arm strength: While Clausen's arm is strong enough for the NFL, he can't accurately make all deep throws. On deep outs Clausen will take some zip off the ball and not deliver it as quickly. It will also take him a while to get deep passes out as he has to rely on his body to get the ball out. His arm will never be confused for Joe Flacco's or Matt Stafford's, but it's every bit as strong as Mark Sanchez's."

You add evidence to my post. "he can't accurately make all deep throws". "His arm will never be confused for Joe Flacco's or Matt Stafford's".

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2009/12/8/1...-draft-scouting

" Very good arm strength; can fit balls into tight windows ... Great touch ... Sometimes gets too much air under fade route" Note: "sometimes" which implies that it's not lack of arm strength ... it's coachable.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010jclausen.php

"...a strong arm and excellent accuracy. ... throws well on the run. ... Clausen throws a nice deep ball, but his strength is in the intermediate passing game where he can deliver the ball with the most zip. He leads his targets well and knows how to throw the ball in tight coverage, putting it where only his receiver can catch it. "

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recr...scouting_report

EDIT: Heck, here's the quote from the OP's article he got from the PFW magazine: "Can drive the deep out and sling it into tight windows-can hit the deep outs, comebacks and posts and make all the throws. "

--------

It's pretty clear that people are saying that sometimes he floats it too much, but not that it's because he hasn't got the arm.

There are a few questions about the guy. Arm strength isn't one of them.

Never questioned his arm strength. Just stated he can't make all the throws and puts to much air under his balls. If his arm will never be mistaken for Flacco or Stafford's and is more like Sanchez's then his arm isn't super strong. It may be strong just not super strong o.k.. Again I say he is'nt worth a top ten pick. He may turn out to be a fantastic qb, just not worth the Bills spending the #9 pick on. If he's there in the second I would consider. We just have to many needs. I would rather play with guy's on our roster and fill other area's, pick a late round prospect that we will not be kicking or selves in the but over if he does'nt pan out. The only reason he's even considered in the the top of the draft is because he played for Wise at N.D. in a pro style offense.

Wow, that took some determination. Thanks for doing this. It's a good read. Loved the J.P. reference.

After reading the summary it makes me want him as a QB even more. Look We are drafting this kid to be the starting QB not sell goods for the bake sale. He is he most PRO READY QB in the draft. Everyone has a downside, and you are going to punish this kid for getting punched in the face from some yahoo in Conn? The guy was at a restaurant with his family when it happened.

Clausen over Bradterd and day of the week, twice on SUNDAY!

Jim Kelly was a GRADE A jackass coming out of college. Does everyone just casually forget he snubbed the Bills for three seasons?

Jimbo was always a leader on the field, which is where it matters, and it seems this Clausen kid is as well. That's what "wins" the locker room.

I don't care whether the Bills pick Clausen or not, but saying you wouldn't want him on your team as a result of that writeup is, well, just a tad ridiculous.

Jim Kelly was a GRADE A jackass coming out of college. Does everyone just casually forget he snubbed the Bills for three seasons?

Jimbo was always a leader on the field, which is where it matters, and it seems this Clausen kid is as well. That's what "wins" the locker room.

I don't care whether the Bills pick Clausen or not, but saying you wouldn't want him on your team as a result of that writeup is, well, just a tad ridiculous.

Thanks baller, couldn't have said it better.

Kelly also destroyed the 1989 season by calling out a teammate publicly. Luckily, the team was able to rebound from that. However, Kelly at that point was an established NFL star QB. If we pick Clausen, he will be highest paid Bill for proving nothing at the NFL level.

Guys like Jeff George, Jay Cutler, & JP Losman had all the talent in the world. But they had personalities that rubbed their teammates the wrong way. As a result, all 3 have losing records. You have to be concerned with Clausen's personality. He's definitely got talent but this other stuff scares the crap out of me.

Kelly also destroyed the 1989 season by calling out a teammate publicly. Luckily, the team was able to rebound from that. However, Kelly at that point was an established NFL star QB. If we pick Clausen, he will be highest paid Bill for proving nothing at the NFL level.

Guys like Jeff George, Jay Cutler, & JP Losman had all the talent in the world. But they had personalities that rubbed their teammates the wrong way. As a result, all 3 have losing records. You have to be concerned with Clausen's personality. He's definitely got talent but this other stuff scares the crap out of me.

JP doesn't have all the talent in the world. He has a strong arm, a little mobility and nothing else. That's why he's a guy who can start in the UFL but is now an NFL afterthought.

JP doesn't have all the talent in the world. He has a strong arm, a little mobility and nothing else. That's why he's a guy who can start in the UFL but is now an NFL afterthought.

I meant physical talent. I'm not a Losman at all but you can't dispute he had all the physical tools you look for in a QB.

So the 'scary' is basically that's he's immature, just like 90% all college juniors.

The 'good' is that he sounds like Jim Kelly on the field. After watching this team kitty around for the last decade, I would kill for a QB that is an "angry competitor".

I meant physical talent. I'm not a Losman at all but you can't dispute he had all the physical tools you look for in a QB.

Losman had an arm, but he didn't show a lot of ability to read defenses, handle pressure situations or throw with great accuracy, all things Clausen does well.

So the 'scary' is basically that's he's immature, just like 90% all college juniors.

The 'good' is that he sounds like Jim Kelly on the field. After watching this team kitty around for the last decade, I would kill for a QB that is an "angry competitor".

Losman had an arm, but he didn't show a lot of ability to read defenses, handle pressure situations or throw with great accuracy, all things Clausen does well.

JP could throw it 65 yards in the air but god forbid he hits a 10 yard curl route. Clausen can make every throw and then some.

I really think that Buffalo will end up wanting one of the top 2 QBs in this draft.

Detroit would prefer to trade down and is confident that a trading partner will be there.

If Bradford goes #1, I could see us moving up to get Clausen, that is, if the Bills are sold

on him as a franchise QB.

Martin Mayhew comments

He's worth taking at #9. He's not worth paying the price to trade up to a top 3 pick. No one is.

He's worth taking at #9. He's not worth paying the price to trade up to a top 3 pick. No one is.

Yup. Clausen at #9 would probably end up with a contract of 6 years, 40-45 million, something like 55-60 max value with performance bonuses and escalators, but more importantly, something like $18 million guaranteed.

Clausen at #2 would be something in the ballpark of 6 years, 75 million, with 35 million guaranteed.