"Hell no... I'm going to bed." - Buddy Nix

Chilly

From http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...-on-free-agency

ORLANDO, Fla. -- At 12:01 a.m. on the opening day of free agency, the Miami Dolphins were arranging to meet with linebacker Karlos Dansby, the New York Jets were burning the phone lines and the New England Patriots were finalizing a deal to bring back franchise nose tackle.

I asked Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix what he was doing at that moment.

"Sleep," he said Monday while taking a break from the NFL owners' meetings at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando Grande Lakes. "They asked me if I was going to be there, I said 'Hell, no. I'm not doing that. I'm going to bed.' "

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this says to me is that we didn't tamper with any free agents.

And you don't exactly get good deals when you sign players within the first ten minutes of free agency. Especially in a year with no cap.

Agreed. Donahoe signed a guy at 12:01 AM and it was a bad signing. Buddy wasn't going to sign anyone on day one so wny not get a good night's rest! He's picked up three starters in FA at a fair price to get us going on our transition. Pretty nice work so far.

Agreed. Donahoe signed a guy at 12:01 AM and it was a bad signing. Buddy wasn't going to sign anyone on day one so wny not get a good night's rest! He's picked up three starters in FA at a fair price to get us going on our transition. Pretty nice work so far.

Ah, a Jeff Posey reference. Nice. :nana:

Green is a starter?

Ah, a Jeff Posey reference. Nice. :nana:

Donahoe lets the more talented, productive and congenial Pat Williams go and signs the very prickly, over weight and less productive Sam Adams. It is was one bad personnel decision after another for the past decade and more. When will it ever end???? :thumbsup::flirt:

+1 Buddy seems to be more fixated on finding the players he truly wants and not just grabbing headlines.

Maybe the strategy was not to blow a huge sum of money on day one especially in a year where the number of solid free agents are down...slim pickings.

Not many other teams were active as well. This was the worst free agency year in quite some time which is why we have seen more trades. The lack of a CBA agreement is the main culprit here.

With that being said why lose sleep over it. We may not have to worry at all about it next year if an agreement isn't reached. The fans will be sleeping through next years free agency start.

The Dolphins essentially traded Porter for Dansby. I'm not sure signing Igcognito gives them a high grade this off season.

The Jets have signed LT but is he REALLY gonna give them what Jones gave them last season? Downgrade, IMO. Other than trading for Cromartie, which may come back to bite them in the ass, what have the Jets done of any signifigance other than get rid of players?

As for NE, I'd bet the ranch that Nix and the braintrust would have been up at midnight if they had an impactful FA like Wilfork that they didn't want to hit the market. Other than re-signing Wilfork, nobody else in our division has done squat whiile we got at least one starter on D at RDE and at least a quality backup ILB, if not starter.

Yeah, staying up past midnight really did a lot of good for those that did.

GO BILLS!!!

The only way you sign that fast, regardless of the romanticized opinion that the player loved the notion, is if you are getting too much money.

An old car-guy once told me that if you throw your hand in the air, and the auctioneer yells "Sold!" you just paid too much.

Our off-season has been fine. Quality players for decent contracts. Gaping holes filled with serviceable players.

Buddy going to bed only further proves my theory: Buddy Nix is dumb like a fox.

+1 Buddy seems to be more fixated on finding the players he truly wants and not just grabbing headlines.

Yep, that's the right approach for the team as it's now constituted. This is a multi-year rebuilding process and making a splash may be a good marketing move, but doesn't move the yardsticks very far when so many holes have to be filled.

The Dolphins essentially traded Porter for Dansby. I'm not sure signing Igcognito gives them a high grade this off season.

The Jets have signed LT but is he REALLY gonna give them what Jones gave them last season? Downgrade, IMO. Other than trading for Cromartie, which may come back to bite them in the ass, what have the Jets done of any signifigance other than get rid of players?

As for NE, I'd bet the ranch that Nix and the braintrust would have been up at midnight if they had an impactful FA like Wilfork that they didn't want to hit the market. Other than re-signing Wilfork, nobody else in our division has done squat whiile we got at least one starter on D at RDE and at least a quality backup ILB, if not starter.

Yeah, staying up past midnight really did a lot of good for those that did.

Bingo. The Jets seemingly improved by trading for Cromartie, but he's been a disappointment for years now. And while they made the playoffs last year, they did the same in 2006 and then missed them the next 2 years. I'll wait before I say they are the kings of the AFC East, although right now, I'd say so.

The only guy worth getting was Jamal Williams. Other than missing out on him, I think the Bills have done alright.

LT, Williams, and Incognito all were signed well after the first day of FA. So who did the Bills miss out on? No one. They weren't going to sign Dansby, Peppers, or Taylor, and certainly weren't going to trade for Cromartie.

I love Nix. He's not afraid to say exactly what is on his mind. Nice to have a brutally honest GM who actually has a clue what he's doing.

Like literally sleeping while every other team in the division is getting better? Really?

Sorry guys I can't believe everyone else is believing this BS that OBD is feeding us.

The guys we signed so far are:

Backup/old RT

Backup MLB

DE/DT medically failed by 3 teams

I'm glad we passed on guys like Dansby, didn't trade our 3rd for proven Pro-Bowler Boldin and went for those three....

How come I'm not so confident we are going to outsmart every other team in the draft? Because odds are it won't happen.

I think it's interesting that the story Tim posted just BEFORE this one about Buddy Nix was about the Dolphins wanting to get rid of Justin Smiley, a guard they signed at the stroke of midnight the first day of free agency just 2 years ago .....

Dolphins No Longer Want FA Justin Smiley

.... maybe Buddy is on to something? :lol:

Well that's not really the whole story now is it. We signed Smiley as an UFA. He's played very well for us when healthy. Right now the team has a lot of depth across the O-line and they are simply looking to turn an UFA pick up into a third round draft pick. If they can do it I would say picking him up at 12:01 was a pretty damned good pick up and it worked out very well for Miami. :cry:

Am I supposed to care about Dansby and Cromartie? Because I don't.

Let me guess... you like spending 20 mil on a guy who was failed by 3 teams.

I didn't say Cromartie. And it's not just the AFC East. I'm sure every other GM in the league was awake at 12:01... I thought that was part of the job description.

Do you honestly believe that the Bills/current regime will year over year outsmart other teams with more resources in the draft?

Like literally sleeping while every other team in the division is getting better? Really?

Sorry guys I can't believe everyone else is believing this BS that OBD is feeding us.

The guys we signed so far are:

Backup/old RT

Backup MLB

DE/DT medically failed by 3 teams

I'm glad we passed on guys like Dansby, didn't trade our 3rd for proven Pro-Bowler Boldin and went for those three....

How come I'm not so confident we are going to outsmart every other team in the draft? Because odds are it won't happen.

I like what Nix is doing as well......

And?

2 key statements:

1.) "We don't get excited about the first week or being up there at midnight and 12:01, signing somebody. We let it play itself out and make sure that the guys we get fit what we need and fill a need."

and

2.) "We're looking to build something solid so we can win consistently," Nix said. "We're not just trying to do it this year and then start over every year. Winning consistently is our goal."

You, and all of the other knee-jerk idiots out there must be total baffoons. You honestly don't think that Nix, Whaley, and crew don't know who the free agents are at every position?

How were the Chargers built? I don't recall them making huge moves in free agency during the past decade, either. Funny, but the Colts don't seem to be active in free agency ever, either. Both of those teams build through the draft, and hold onto their own because they know what they have.

This is a stupid post that tries to imply that the Bills are missing something.

If I recall the NFL pro's about free agency this year, it has been said that this is a weak year for free agency and a strong one for the draft.

So please, stop with the knee-jerk reactions and let's judge the offseason by the 2010 win-loss record and signs of improvement on the field.