DEBUNKED: Joey Porter to visit Bills next week

Maddog69

Did anyone else see the Channel 2 News last night ?

Ed Kilgore mmentioned right at the end of the broadcast that Joey Porter will be visiting the Bills on Tuesday.

I don't have a link and cannot find it anywhere else.

Did anyone else see this posted anywhere?

He seems like a good fit at a position of need. His Position coach from last year is our DC. He is familiar with the division and he makes plays.

He does have a bit of a crazy streak and he clearly would prefer to play out west, but if the Bills could sign him it would drastically improve the team.

Edited by Lori
When I contacted Kilgore, he told me he did say that Tim Tebow would visit Monday, but never mentioned Porter.

Ed Kilgore mmentioned right at the end of the broadcast that Joey Porter will be visiting the Bills on Tuesday.

He seems like a good fit at a position of need. His Position coach from last year is our DC. He is familiar with the division and he makes plays.

He does have a bit of a crazy streak and he clearly would prefer to play out west, but if the Bills could sign him it would drastically improve the team.

If nothing else, I think this is an indictment on Mitchell's time in Buffalo.

If nothing else, I think this is an indictment on Mitchell's time in Buffalo.

I thought Mitchell's first year was good. He's one of the few guys on the front seven that makes plays. Last year was a waste because he was hurt, but signing him was a good move. Not to say he can't be replaced though.

It's not so much an indictment of Mitchell so much as trying to get depth and competition at every position. Right now by default Maybin will start. By bringing in Porter, much like with Davis he will compete with Maybin, Schobel, Kelsay, Ellis and perhaps Veek for an OLB spot.

I thought Mitchell's first year was good. He's one of the few guys on the front seven that makes plays. Last year was a waste because he was hurt, but signing him was a good move. Not to say he can't be replaced though.

Agreed. And Porter sucks against the run, so he maybe at best a situational pass rusher at this point in his career.

It's not so much an indictment of Mitchell so much as trying to get depth and competition at every position. Right now by default Maybin will start. By bringing in Porter, much like with Davis he will compete with Maybin, Schobel, Kelsay, Ellis and perhaps Veek for an OLB spot.

I thought I knew my Bills as well as anybody, but who the hell is Veek?

Not sure what Porter has left in the tank. he would be an improvement though.

Can he still pass rush? I guess our DC would know.

He had 17.5 sacks in 2008 and 9 sacks in 12 games last year.

I think he can still pass rush a little bit.

Joey Porter is a punk. And at this point in his career Keith Ellison is a better all-around player than Porter which should tell you all you need to know.

Keith Ellison, meet Joey Porters jock strap. It is a better football player than you.

Joey Porter is a punk. And at this point in his career Keith Ellison is a better all-around player than Porter which should tell you all you need to know.

All that statement tells us is that you wouldn't know what a football was if you shat one out sideways.

92 - 2 .......career sacks Porter has 92 ( 9 last year)....Ellison has 2......nuff said.

assuming we don't overpay, Porter would make a great addition.

Porter has racked up 26.5 sacks over the past two seasons. I'd take a flier on him.

We only faced him once last year, and he had 2.5 sacks that day. And he had 4 the year before at our expense.

Wow! If this turns out to be true then think of the possibilities... a week or so ago we were all complaining about our lack of free agent activity...only Cornell Green...now Davis/Edwards and maybe Porter...

I think Mitchell is still starting...why can't we go Mitchell/Poz/Davis/Porter...Porter isn't long term and may let Maybin work into things slowly...

He had 17.5 sacks in 2008 and 9 sacks in 12 games last year.

I think he can still pass rush a little bit.

Sacks are a partial measure, even at Rush OLB, of measuring a player's caliber. Porter was benched toward the end of last season after his play declined. Call it negative, but MIA has some issues at OLB and they sat Porter while Matt Roth was having his issues. Unless he was going downhilll fast, the Dolfelons would not have made that move.

An OLB in a 3-4 still needs to play the run, and Buffalo will see plenty of it if they don't have a decent NT. I expect those OLB's to play it as effectively as they rush the passer.

The guy is a punk, as evidenced by his attack on former Bengals OT Levi Brown. Except now, his play on the field doesn't make up for it.

Is this confirmed?

I think its clear that Buffalo is hoping that its Defense carries them this year.

That's OK with me - if I can dream for a minute - if there is any chance at success in 2010 it will most likely be with the low scoring, opportunistic defense approach. The low scoring part we have down pat, so we are halfway there...

Sacks are a partial measure, even at Rush OLB, of measuring a player's caliber. Porter was benched toward the end of last season after his play declined. Call it negative, but MIA has some issues at OLB and they sat Porter while Matt Roth was having his issues. Unless he was going downhilll fast, the Dolfelons would not have made that move.

An OLB in a 3-4 still needs to play the run, and Buffalo will see plenty of it if they don't have a decent NT. I expect those OLB's to play it as effectively as they rush the passer.

The guy is a punk, as evidenced by his attack on former Bengals OT Levi Brown. Except now, his play on the field doesn't make up for it.

If Porter is signed, he will only be on the team 2-3 years at best until the Bills draft another LB. Yes, the guy is a punk, but has shown he can still play good football. I'd rather have a guy that has size and can still be productive, than the smallish linemen we've seen during the Jauron era (like Ellison, Corto).

92 - 2 .......career sacks Porter has 92 ( 9 last year)....Ellison has 2......nuff said.

assuming we don't overpay, Porter would make a great addition.

Does it really matter if we do?

I think this would be the best off season acquisition yet (If Ed Kilgore's report is accurate)... He's an instant starter at one of the weakest positions on the defense.. A great 2, possibly 3 year player until we develop drafted talent!! Takes pressure off of Maybin and allows him to learn OLB... (we forget how young he is on this board.. he's still growing for God's sake) It also allows them to focus more on other areas such as NT and..well.. a Quarterback this and next year... This will be a three-year process at least before we really see results, by then, Porter retires. I believe its called a stop-gap right??

I think this would be the best off season acquisition yet (If Ed Kilgore's report is accurate)... He's an instant starter at one of the weakest positions on the defense.. A great 2, possibly 3 year player until we develop drafted talent!! Takes pressure off of Maybin and allows him to learn OLB... (we forget how young he is on this board.. he's still growing for God's sake) It also allows them to focus more on other areas such as NT and..well.. a Quarterback this and next year... This will be a three-year process at least before we really see results, by then, Porter retires. I believe its called a stop-gap right??

just want an attitude!.. he brings that, i hope this is true.. want "nasty"

If you match the highest point of Keith Ellison's career against the lowest of Joey Porter, Ellison is still looking up. Way up. Get real.

I think the argument of Joey Porter's skills v. our team's skills is irrelevant considering this is BS and will continue to be BS until, at the very least, more than just the original poster confirms that this is something Kilgore said.

I mean, seriously, one person on a message board posted that this was said and not a single person anywhere else has anything and no one else heard it last night?

Close this.

Matt Roth got placed on the reserve/non-football injury list and than was waived in late november, than was claimed by cleveland. Porter played in 14 games last year and was suspended for one. Yes the Dolphins have olb issues of their own. They also have a young player in cam wake who plays the same position as porter, and is undoubtedly their future. Porter still has pass rush presence. Not to mention would give the bills something they currently lack a veteran 3-4 olb.