Scouts take on OL Green

FWIW:

Green is a 10-year veteran who had little starting experience until he arrived in Oakland two years ago. He started every game in 2008 and has good size and strength for the RT position. He has adequate balance and body control in passing situations. He lacks ideal foot quickness when matched up with speed rushers, but shows good hand use and can push defenders past the pocket once he opens his hips. He has improved his awareness and reactions to stunts. In the run game, he comes off the ball with adequate pad level. He will get overextended at times and has trouble recovering once he gets his weight forward. He does a good job as a positional blocker and can sustain contact with wide hand placement.

whether it's depth or as a starter at RT for a year or two it will do. We need some big bodies and he has a RT body. I'm not asking for a pro bowler, but someone who is an above avg run blocker would be nice. He is already better then Bell and Chambers. This isn't shocking as when Buddy was with SD they also got modest FA o-linemen and drafted a bunch as well. expect the same thing.

FWIW:

Green is a 10-year veteran who had little starting experience until he arrived in Oakland two years ago. He started every game in 2008 and has good size and strength for the RT position. He has adequate balance and body control in passing situations. He lacks ideal foot quickness when matched up with speed rushers, but shows good hand use and can push defenders past the pocket once he opens his hips. He has improved his awareness and reactions to stunts. In the run game, he comes off the ball with adequate pad level. He will get overextended at times and has trouble recovering once he gets his weight forward. He does a good job as a positional blocker and can sustain contact with wide hand placement.

whether it's depth or as a starter at RT for a year or two it will do. We need some big bodies and he has a RT body. I'm not asking for a pro bowler, but someone who is an above avg run blocker would be nice. He is already better then Bell and Chambers. This isn't shocking as when Buddy was with SD they also got modest FA o-linemen and drafted a bunch as well. expect the same thing.

People need to remember too that the current Bills O line coach watched him play twice a year.

FWIW:

Good post. If nothing else, this signing gives us some warm bodies on the O-line. I'm happy they are addressing the line and $3M isn't terrible considering he could be a starter for us. Still, I hope we still look to draft a few linemen next month.

Given that he's already played for Atlanta, the Jets, Miami, Tampa, Denver, Tampa again, Oakland and now Buffalo... hard to get too excited about this pickup.

Apparently Buddy has a five team minimum requirement for his signees.

Green, 34, has been entrenched at right tackle for the Silver & Black the last three campaigns, tallying 38-starts. His unstable play and tendency to rack up penalties has been one of the major issues along the trenches for the Raiders.

The Bills have a need along the offensive line and Green is one option that won’t be pricey and that has starting experience.

Gee don't we already have a poor offensive right tackle who gets a lot of penalties?

Hmm..domestic violence charge, assault charge at an airport....

The RAIDERS are happy to get rid of him?

Nice job Buddy...

From PFT

"The Bills have jumped off the sidelines this offseason with an odd move.

The team signed tackle Cornell Green to a three-year, $9 million contract, according to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora. Last with the Raiders, Green turns 34 this offseason.

Buffalo needs warm bodies on the offensive line, but Green didn't seem like a player that was going to get much more than the veteran's minimum. Of course, he may have to start in Buffalo."

Just read this concerning Green...The contract seems a little steep for what basically amounts to a "for competition's sake" signing, but the contract, at least, is not prohibitive. Green struggled last season in Oakland, giving up several sacks and, more importantly, providing the Raiders a plethora of untimely penalties.

Read the following quote in Fox's AFC West Offseason review for the Raiders:

TEAM NEEDS

1. Offensive tackle: Right tackle Cornell Green needs to be replaced, and left tackle Mario Henderson faded in 2009.

Number 1 need according to Fox is to replace their right tackle and that's the guy the Bill's sign. Ugh......

How could he have signed for the vet minimum? He wasn't a backup or injured. He was a starter for 3 straight years.

See above for why he could've been had for around league minimum. Not to mention we were bidding against ourselves. :wallbash:

Given that he's already played for Atlanta, the Jets, Miami, Tampa, Denver, Tampa again, Oakland and now Buffalo... hard to get too excited about this pickup.

At the same time, that also means teams think he's valuable enough to keep paying millions to.

you do realize there is a big difference between a good tackle, and a bad tackle? right?

I think this is a poor signing. When a guy gives up 6.5 sacks, 7 false starts and 3 holding penalties in 12 games, that does not give me a good feeling. I hope this new front office gets it right but this to me is not a good start..

you do realize there is a big difference between a good tackle, and a bad tackle? right?

Is this honestly based on anything? Ddi you see a bunch of Raiders games and watch him? Because I haven't but rather than just whine about it, I did some research. According to Football Outsiders, the Raiders were 16th in running behind right RT (4.12) and 14th in running around Right End (4.27). http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

According to ProFootballFocus, he was the 48th ranked OL just ahead of Marcus McNeil and jsut behind Chad Clifton. http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_positio...&numgames=1

I'm not going to sit he and be like he's great. But he seems pretty middle of the road and that was on a team with one of the worst QBs to paly in the NFL in some time. All I'm saying is breath and let's actually see the guy play.

I think this is a poor signing. When a guy gives up 6.5 sacks, 7 false starts and 3 holding penalties in 12 games, that does not give me a good feeling. I hope this new front office gets it right but this to me is not a good start..

Funny because people wanted us to pay another tackle $10 million plus with worse #s than that.

Is this honestly based on anything? Ddi you see a bunch of Raiders games and watch him? Because I haven't but rather than just whine about it, I did some research. According to Football Outsiders, the Raiders were 16th in running behind right RT (4.12) and 14th in running around Right End (4.27). http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

According to ProFootballFocus, he was the 48th ranked OL just ahead of Marcus McNeil and jsut behind Chad Clifton. http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_positio...&numgames=1

I'm not going to sit he and be like he's great. But he seems pretty middle of the road and that was on a team with one of the worst QBs to paly in the NFL in some time. All I'm saying is breath and let's actually see the guy play.

Yes, I have seen plenty of Raiders games the past few years. That line was atrocious! Very reminiscent of our line. And Green was a big part of that mess. A healthy Butler>Green by a long shot. And its not whining. Humor is a coping mechanism. The Bills are unintentional comedy at its finest. I crack up every thread I read. What a train wreck of an organization!

Yes, I have seen plenty of Raiders games the past few years. That line was atrocious! Very reminiscent of our line. And Green was a big part of that mess. A healthy Butler>Green by a long shot. And its not whining. Humor is a coping mechanism. The Bills are unintentional comedy at its finest. I crack up every thread I read. What a train wreck of an organization!

I don't know man. It's entertainment for me. If he pissed me off as much as it does some, I'd find something else to worry about.

And he's a 10 year vet OL. They make money. It's not guaranteed he will even start. But going crazy because the Bills signed a OL in March is crazy to me. To each his own.

Can we at least wait and see what Greens contract actually looks like before we B word and moan about "3 years 9 million"?

Hopefully it's back loaded with very little up front.

Not feeling it with this signing after reading what some Raiders fans had to say about him

on PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ackle/#comments

Hope he's a respectable backup at the very least. Don't really care if he was a starter in

Oakland for a few years or not, doesn't mean he's any good.

Now everyone's an expert on O-Line. I've never heard of him. But, if he's good enough to hang around the NFL FOR 10 YEARS, he's better than the bartenders and furniture movers we had playing tackle last year. He probably received a Clark bar as a signing bonus, so he only makes his money if he makes the team. Please experts, explain to me how this can be a bad signing.

Guys for christ sake

Step back and think on this a minute

- Remember Langston Walker? When we brought him in his last team was none other then the Raiders. And all we heard from their negative nancy fans was what a turnstile Langston was and how glad they were to be rid of him

- Enter Langston. The guy ended up not only being a very servicable right tackle for us he was able to do spot duty at left tackle till we decided we were going to do the no huddle and kicked him off the team.

This all feels very similar to me.....and I see just about EVERY Raiders game.....they have the supposid next Anthony Munoz playing at guard for them that is how well they develop their offensive linemen....or does it possibly have something to do with their scheme and totally lousy QB?

One thing the Raiders CAN do is run the ball.....and they have done a lot of running behind our latest signing.

Please tell us who on the FA list you want them to sign?? The market is light this year. And he won't be the last OL the Bills get before training camp. If they don't sign anyone folks are upset. They address a hole on the team needing options and depth and folks are upset. This is ridiculous.

Guys for christ sake

Step back and think on this a minute

- Remember Langston Walker? When we brought him in his last team was none other then the Raiders. And all we heard from their negative nancy fans was what a turnstile Langston was and how glad they were to be rid of him

- Enter Langston. The guy ended up not only being a very servicable right tackle for us he was able to do spot duty at left tackle till we decided we were going to do the no huddle and kicked him off the team.

This all feels very similar to me.....and I see just about EVERY Raiders game.....they have the supposid next Anthony Munoz playing at guard for them that is how well they develop their offensive linemen....or does it possibly have something to do with their scheme and totally lousy QB?

One thing the Raiders CAN do is run the ball.....and they have done a lot of running behind our latest signing.

and Langston is out of the NFL now

and Langston is out of the NFL now

Pete,

No disrespect but that is not the point.....Langston did in fact give us some years of productive play.....which is all we would ask of someone like Cornell.....I dont think the bills view him as a long term answer

Truth be told he might get beat out by Meradith who I think is a player just needs experience

We have plent of right tackle options.....but we have not addressed LT yet.

People need to remember too that the current Bills O line coach watched him play twice a year.

I don't think D'Alessandris was scouting or even observing the opposing teams RT. If anything, a team's Pro Personnel Department is handling that with their advance scouts.

But go on talking for the sake of talking. Matt Millen's chiming in, so it's a free for all I suppose.

Not so much. I don't think the Chiefs' O line coach was spending time breaking down Oakland's O line when they were going to be playing each other. Offensive coaches tend to study the opposing defense.

FWIW:

Did you write this? Then, link, please.