[Link] Are Cowher, Bills In Contract Negotiations?

"Input" and "Final Say" are two different things. I have no doubt that whomever the coach is, he'd have input. However, I can see someone like Cowher wanting final say; while the new GM might think he should have final say.

I could also see FA players being a sticking point. It's one thing to go after FAs, but its something else to go after the Haynesworth's of the league. Personally, I'd prefer they stary away from the hottest FAs. It seems they never produce up to their previous standards. Of course, a top tier coach may think differently.

Not saying that any of that is a sticking point.... just saying.

Wouldn't one argue that Cowher is used to his teams not going after the big FA names? The Steelers are well known for letting some players go and signing middle level FAs to fill the void.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chill dude and never threaten anyone that you will have the Buffalo police violate privacy laws because someone disagreed or maligned you on OBD. Seems like you need a few lectures on how to operate in polite society. If you want my address or anyone else's so you can try to kick a$$ just ask for it.

Internet tough guys, gotta love 'em. :nana:

DEAN IS JOE LOGAN!?! He obviously had to stop posting on this forum the minute he became connected to Ralph's inner circle.

Is it possible to be in the Bills inner circle AND the TBD inner circle?

How long before the crawl on ESPN reads "Joe from East Aurora reports..."

Listen , trust me when i tell you i do not need to be lectured although you're insight was appreciated . That said, i just do not like when i see people getting attacked for an opinion which is what MB's are based 95% on..opinions! ..i mean have at it for all i care when ripping apart the opinion but NOT EVER the postER. Little history on me so you know, i have never taken any ones bs my whole over 40 years of existence here on this Earth whether it be out on the road where i have put many middle finger enthusiasts in their place or little mommas boys hiding behind the comfy confines of a pc...i have many friends in the Buffalo police dept and i have ways of finding out where people live even on a pc ...just thought i would give you a history lesson on me..i live my life by the motto of "always and forever calling someones bluff ! Other then that i am a great guy indeed ! :nana: rant off and i hope i have not offended anyone ...

Ironic that you call other people mommas boys.?.!. And stop doing this :wallbash: to everything you post. It is really annoying.

and yes i am attacking the poster and not the post, deal with it. Im over 40 i raised 6 kids, FYI No one really cares.

Wouldn't one argue that Cowher is used to his teams not going after the big FA names? The Steelers are well known for letting some players go and signing middle level FAs to fill the void.

Absolutely. However, maybe he's tired of coaching under that approach? And feels he's earned the right (or at least wants) to have those limitations removed.

Absolutely. However, maybe he's tired of coaching under that approach? And feels he's earned the right (or at least wants) to have those limitations removed.

What is everyone's feeling on letting a coach have the final say? I am more comfy with Cowher than DJ, but I do feel a little burned by it....I almost think I would rather have a "football" guy making the call with input from the HC...

What is everyone's feeling on letting a coach have the final say? I am more comfy with Cowher than DJ, but I do feel a little burned by it....I almost think I would rather have a "football" guy making the call with input from the HC...

Agree 100% let the guys who have done the scouting and done the work pick the players. Have the coach tell them who his interests are and have the scouts decide weather or not they fit the coaches mold.

Listen , trust me when i tell you i do not need to be lectured although you're insight was appreciated . That said, i just do not like when i see people getting attacked for an opinion which is what MB's are based 95% on..opinions! ..i mean have at it for all i care when ripping apart the opinion but NOT EVER the postER. Little history on me so you know, i have never taken any ones bs my whole over 40 years of existence here on this Earth whether it be out on the road where i have put many middle finger enthusiasts in their place or little mommas boys hiding behind the comfy confines of a pc...i have many friends in the Buffalo police dept and i have ways of finding out where people live even on a pc ...just thought i would give you a history lesson on me..i live my life by the motto of "always and forever calling someones bluff ! Other then that i am a great guy indeed ! :nana: rant off and i hope i have not offended anyone ...

Does anyone know how to filter out a posters reposnses when viewing a thread?

Agree 100% let the guys who have done the scouting and done the work pick the players. Have the coach tell them who his interests are and have the scouts decide weather or not they fit the coaches mold.

If you remember Nix's press conference, he specifically mentioned that this team is going to be built through the draft and not through FA, so yes, this would be a HUGE sticking point for Cowher.

I think it depends on the coach. Certainly someone like Cowher should have more freedoms than someone like Frazier, IMO. But, I agree, do you really want the HC also having final say on all personnel moves?

IMO, I think it's too much. In every instance I can think of that the HC was also the guy overseeing all personnel moves, it's led to mediocre results. Now, that doesn't mean that the HC and GM shouldn't be tied at the hip and essentially working as one. But, if Cowher insists on having final say on all players and FAs, that might be the deal breaker. I think Jauron had alot of control and Nix will give the new HC lots of control, but not final say (just my opinion).

As much as I liked the idea of Shannahan, I didn't like the idea that he insists on having say over every aspect of the team. You could argue that the more control he got in Denver, the more his teams struggled. It'll be interesting to see how he does in DC, now.

I think it depends on the coach. Certainly someone like Cowher should have more freedoms than someone like Frazier, IMO. But, I agree, do you really want the HC also having final say on all personnel moves?

IMO, I think it's too much. In every instance I can think of that the HC was also the guy overseeing all personnel moves, it's led to mediocre results. Now, that doesn't mean that the HC and GM shouldn't be tied at the hip and essentially working as one. But, if Cowher insists on having final say on all players and FAs, that might be the deal breaker. I think Jauron had alot of control and Nix will give the new HC lots of control, but not final say (just my opinion).

As much as I liked the idea of Shannahan, I didn't like the idea that he insists on having say over every aspect of the team. You could argue that the more control he got in Denver, the more his teams struggled. It'll be interesting to see how he does in DC, now.

The more I think about it, didn't Cowher and TD have that issue in Pitt? It seems that Cowher wants assurances that he won't have to deal that again.

I agree with what you bring up about Shanny, will be intersting to see if he does the same thing in Washington...

Oh...I just saw this...Does anyone have ESPN insider access? It has a posting that reads "Bill ok with Buffalo's offer?" Curious to see what this says...

The more I think about it, didn't Cowher and TD have that issue in Pitt? It seems that Cowher wants assurances that he won't have to deal that again.

I agree with what you bring up about Shanny, will be intersting to see if he does the same thing in Washington...

Oh...I just saw this...Does anyone have ESPN insider access? It has a posting that reads "Bill ok with Buffalo's offer?" Curious to see what this says...

Nope, no Insider access.

Yes, it seems Cowher and TD had all sorts of issues in Pitt. It's something I've wondered, many of the reasons people say he'd be a great fit here are because of the similarities with his positions in Pittsburgh. But, maybe those are exctly the concerns Cowher has? Maybe he'd like something very different from what he had?

Nope, no Insider access.

Yes, it seems Cowher and TD had all sorts of issues in Pitt. It's something I've wondered, many of the reasons people say he'd be a great fit here are because of the similarities with his positions in Pittsburgh. But, maybe those are exctly the concerns Cowher has? Maybe he'd like something very different from what he had?

I don't think anyone enjoys bumping heads with their boss, especially over personnel issues. Being in that situation myself in the past, I can definately appreciate where he is coming from. I know that I like to have a lot of control over choosing the people who work for me. I think a lot of it will have to do with his compfort level with Nix and whoever else is either in or going to be in our front office....

here is the insider story... basically a reprint of everything else

"The rumors over the past week have been conflicting as to whether or not Bill Cowher is returning to the NFL sidelines for 2010. The big problem -- as we're beginning to see -- is that there might not be a good situation for him.

ESPN.com's Mike Sando speculated that Cowher could go to the Seahawks, whereas other rumors linked Cowher to the Panthers (if John Fox leaves), Cowboys (if they lose Saturday and Wade Phillips is fired) and Jaguars. It seems as though Raheem Morris is safe in Tampa Bay, at least from Cowher replacing him.

While rumors of Cowher going to the Bills have sparked intense debate from both sides -- with NFL Insider Adam Schefter even getting a tip that Cowher wasn't in Buffalo on Tuesday, but instead walking his dog -- EastAurora.org's Joe Logan tweeted on Wednesday night that "Cowher OK with what the Bills will offer salary wise, but looking for commitment from RB for player budget." RB is Russ Brandon, Bills president. We're pretty sure the Bills don't leave the budget for player salaries up to Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson."