Shanahan met with Bills for 7 hours over 2 days

Guest dog14787
dont know if this neaded a new thread, but they really seem to be putting the full court press on. they went out to Denver to meet with him

Wow!!! several hours and it carried on into today, sounds promising :thumbsup:

Come on Man!

You do not spend this amount of time for just a negotioation ploy. There is genuine interest. If reports that Shannahan is a ego maniac are correct... the biggest deal in NFL coaching history is a huge stroke. I pefer Marty Shottenheimer, but landing Shanny would be the best shot in the arm since Kelly came to town.

Or desperate. Either way I hope they sign him, but from what I have been reading, any signing won't take place until January.

Thats what most people here don't seem to get. The Bills are not likely to make a hire til January at minimum. Even if they have found their guy.

I think this meeting could very well help the Bills in their efforts to fix the organization even if they don't land Shanhan. I imagine Russ would gain tons of insight from Shanny with regard to what he might do or things the Bills needs to do in order to be more attractive to a top tier coach/GM. I think that this meeting will go a long way to fixing the Bills problems regardless of where Shanny ends up next year. Russ is not a classic Football Guy, but he is not stupid either. I would think this meeting will benefit him greatly

"I was really impressed with Russ Brandon and everything he had to say. We're going to stay in touch and see what develops."

That means no. He isn't going to turn down 10mill per year in hand right now if he wasn't looking at other jobs. So we can strike him off the list. Unless others don't want him, we aren't getting him.

If they didn't get him after that meeting, I'd say we're not going to sign him.

And I'm ok with that....onto plan B...get a good GM in here ASAP.

Yeah I agree. If Russ left the meeting without him signing or even coming to Buffalo for further negotiations, we aren't getting him

Yeah I agree. If Russ left the meeting without him signing or even coming to Buffalo for further negotiations, we aren't getting him

There was absolutely no chance Shanahan was agreeing to coach the Bills today. 1.) the rooney rule. 2.) Both MS and the Bills will explore all options before coming to an agreement. Do I think MS will end up with the Bills, probably not. But do I think that the fact he did not get hired today reduces the chances. No.

"I was really impressed with Russ Brandon and everything he had to say. We're going to stay in touch and see what develops."

That means no. He isn't going to turn down 10mill per year in hand right now if he wasn't looking at other jobs. So we can strike him off the list. Unless others don't want him, we aren't getting him.

My take on it is this...if Shanahan wanted to take the deal and if Russ wooed him. They would keep things hush hush until the season is over to announce anything so they don't violate interview protocol. What will be interesting to see if how many coaching interviews Shanahan takes place in. If we keep hearing rumours that he's interviewing then it means there is no deal in place.

My two cents.

My take is Shanahan and Russ do the meet and greet. Shanahan's agent would then get involved if he is still interested.

Ralph would have to put a buyout clause in there that would guarantee Shanahan final say.

I imagine there will be some sort of out clause allowing Shanny to bail (with a nice settlement) if he is not happy with what happens with the team upon Ralph selling it (or Ralph's demise).

Bear in mind, an (good) interview is a give & take proposition. Shanahan knows stuff, and people. Much as the interview process is of benefit to applicants (a significant reason for the Rooney Rule), considering presumably how clueless our decision makers are, this was probably of considerable benefit to them as well. Ergo the lengthy discussions.

If Shanahan takes the offer Then I don't want him as our coach ..... think about it .... there will be several HC openings after the season is done ... he has no idea what the offers may be ... and someone just may be offering "stupid money" for a top tier coach.

If he takes the first offer that comes across his desk he isn't nearly as smart as I think he is.

If Shanahan takes the offer Then I don't want him as our coach ..... think about it .... there will be several HC openings after the season is done ... he has no idea what the offers may be ... and someone just may be offering "stupid money" for a top tier coach.

If he takes the first offer that comes across his desk he isn't nearly as smart as I think he is.

Ya but...Buffalo has a great deal of raw talent AND the bar is so low, anyone who breaks .500 next year is a coaching genius.

I am wondering if Fox and Fisher will be available, then there is Holmgren, Cowher, Schottenheimer...and there will be a lot of openings. I'd take Lovie Smith if the Bears dump him. Face it ANY one of these guys would be an improvement over Dick Jauron.

I think Ralph may finally be realizing that he could actually DIE without ever winning a championship. I hope that sense of urgency stays with him for awhile...

Ya but...Buffalo has a great deal of raw talent AND the bar is so low, anyone who breaks .500 next year is a coaching genius.

I don't want a coach who comes here because the bar is set low ..... I want the coach to set HIGH standards for himself and the team.

I don't want a coach to come here to strive to break .500 ... I want him to come here and strive to win a championship.

and as far as our "great deal of talent" ..... I'm not so sure about that .... potential talent in spots maybe.

My take on it is this...if Shanahan wanted to take the deal and if Russ wooed him. They would keep things hush hush until the season is over to announce anything so they don't violate interview protocol. What will be interesting to see if how many coaching interviews Shanahan takes place in. If we keep hearing rumours that he's interviewing then it means there is no deal in place.

My two cents.

I agree 100%. This is one of the most intelligent posts I've read on this board in a while.

Do you think Shanahan would sit with Brandon for 7 hours if he thought he was a clown?

Yes I do... What is the salary of the highest paid coach in the NFL right now? Is it 10 million? Is it close to 10 million?

By going through the process and getting the offer Shanahan has now set his price for every other team in the league. "WELL Buffalo will pay me 10 million so if you want to talk the starting point is 10 million." Dan Synder and Jerry Jones have to be pissed.

Shannahan now has leverage and has driven his salary up by 3-4 million a year. 7 hours of talking worth 3-4 million a year to you?

I am guessing that none of the big names are going to let Russ Brandon make the personnel decisions.

Why do people think he *wants* to make the personnel decisions? He seems to be the one leading this charge to get a "Football" guy.

As stated, they won't announce anything until after the season because of league rules. Also, the ten million is a "rumored" number. Let's see where the chips fall.

I think we all know how good Russ is at selling things.