How Bad is Buffalo if 10mill per year won't get it done?

DarthICE

Let's say Shanahan, Cowher etal say no to Ralph for 10 mill per season? That right there signals the worst franchise in the NFL hands down.

I don't' think anyone wants the job for several reasons. First off Ralph is known as a very meddling owner. Him suing Wade Phillips way back when didn't sit well with NFL personnel at the time either. Also the future of this team is in doubt. What coach wants to come to Buffalo and have Ralph possibly kick the bucket next year after moving his family up here?

MANY things to consider when thinking of why big time Coaches may not come here.

Report is 5 mill plus part ownership has been offered.

Link? I havent seen any report that says we oferred him $5 mil and part ownership...if you are referring to the other thread than you just cant do math because the other thread says 5 years at $50 mil plus part ownership...well 50 divided by 5 years = $10mil per year

Guest dog14787
In the end, you don't want a guy who really doesn't want to be here, especially at that price.

I'm NOT saying he doesn't, but if that isn't enough, then we're better off not going there.

Yup, that's a juicy offer and Mike Shanahan just feels like the right guy for Buffalo, I hope it all works out.

The Bills are not going to outbid anyone for Shanny or Cowher. Any team getting them will pay top dollar. These guys will get $10-12m per year plus partial ownership. The decision is not going to be about money. It will be about all of the other factors (stability of ownership, desirability of the city, strength of current roster, salary cap situation, QB sitiuation, etc). Buffalo has a chance at one of these top guys but they have their work cut out for them in convincing Shanny or Cowher that Buffalo is the best situation for them. In previous years, Ralph was not even willing to take a shot and commit to the money it would take. This year, he seems willing to spend the money. Know we have to wait and see if Russ and Ralph can do the sell job.

Let's say Shanahan, Cowher etal say no to Ralph for 10 mill per season? That right there signals the worst franchise in the NFL hands down.

I don't' think anyone wants the job for several reasons. First off Ralph is known as a very meddling owner. Him suing Wade Phillips way back when didn't sit well with NFL personnel at the time either. Also the future of this team is in doubt. What coach wants to come to Buffalo and have Ralph possibly kick the bucket next year after moving his family up here?

MANY things to consider when thinking of why big time Coaches may not come here.

Other than Wade, RW never had a problem paying the remaining salaries of fired coaches including the highest paid of all in Jauron.

RW, on the advice of his counsel, had a legitimate reason to question his commitment to pay Wade the remaining balance. Chiefly, that Wade was fired for cause when he defied a direct order from RW to fire an assistant coach and refused.

I agree that it probably didn't sit well with the fraternity of coaches though.

As for meddling, RW is an absentee owner compared to the likes of Snyder and Jones so there are FAR worse owners to play for.

GO BILLS!!!

Adding on to the Wade firing. Wade also did not help himself right before he was fired. There was a Monday night game coming up with Indy. Wade was interviewed by ESPN and Wade stated clearly the Bills were mathematically out of the playoffs, which at the time the were not. That interview further imploded the lockerroom and the team did not show up that Monday night for the royal ass whipping they received.

Why don't we just let this play out before we start looking for the four horsemen.

That is just plain crazy!! The sky is falling, the sky is falling. If I get to be that jaded, that I couldn't find a single positive in anything about the team, I hope I am done watching by then.

Worst franchise in the NFL, hardly. There are clubs in far worse shape than us. It will be amazing what a little help on the management and coaching side brings to this team.

Don't worry though your doom and gloom outlook on life is chronic...you'll always be able to find something that wasn't good enough, something worth dedicating 397 threads to. I just hope it is "Why we didn't win the Super Bowl by enough points." That would be nice.

In the end, you don't want a guy who really doesn't want to be here, especially at that price.

I'm NOT saying he doesn't, but if that isn't enough, then we're better off not going there.

Agreed, one reason why Derrick Dockery was a bust here. He never wanted to be here, as his heart remained in Washington. Another reason was that he is soft and has little talent.

The Bills are not going to outbid anyone for Shanny or Cowher. Any team getting them will pay top dollar. These guys will get $10-12m per year plus partial ownership. The decision is not going to be about money. It will be about all of the other factors (stability of ownership, desirability of the city, strength of current roster, salary cap situation, QB sitiuation, etc). Buffalo has a chance at one of these top guys but they have their work cut out for them in convincing Shanny or Cowher that Buffalo is the best situation for them. In previous years, Ralph was not even willing to take a shot and commit to the money it would take. This year, he seems willing to spend the money. Know we have to wait and see if Russ and Ralph can do the sell job.

The stuff in bold is exactly what I am referring too. Money? Buffalo might offer the most, but there is no way this is an attractive job right now, esp with NE being in the division

The stuff in bold is exactly what I am referring too. Money? Buffalo might offer the most, but there is no way this is an attractive job right now, esp with NE being in the division

Do you honestly think someone like Shanahan is afraid to coach against NE? Seriously, you're proposing that as something that would turn away potential coaching candidates? They have to go against the big bad Pats* each year.

guys like Shanahan don't think "ohhh but big bad Belichick is in the division..."

Instead they think "cool, I can prove I'm BETTER than him twice a year"

We're talking A-type personality with an extreme competitive edge in Shanahan. You want to BEAT the best.

This is something the Bills sorely need.

It's amazing what the NFL has come to moneywise. We've got coaches turning their nose at $10 million dollars per year. $50 million for 5 years? What the heck. Unbelievable........

Before he was fired Shanahan was the highest paid coach at 7 mill per. Ralph would be greatly surpassing the level of pay any HC has ever seen if he offers 10 mill, but we still have coaches thumbing their noses at us.

Well if Shanahan says no, I say call Ron Wolf who built a superbowl winner in small market green bay and let him have the reigns. Let him bring in his own coach, assistants and scouting department.

Bottom line we just may not get a high name coach, so get a great GM and hope he staffs us the right way and makes the right picks

Before he was fired Shanahan was the highest paid coach at 7 mill per. Ralph would be greatly surpassing the level of pay any HC has ever seen if he offers 10 mill, but we still have coaches thumbing their noses at us.

You know, there may be an element of strategy in all of this. It just possible that people are interested in the job, the control, the money and the ownership without coming right out and saying "That's a better offer than I ever dreamed possible." If you have 5-6 teams interested, why wouldn't you string them all along and try to get the best overall offer?

Also, IMO the control is probably the biggest thing to these already wealthy guys.

It is pretty bad, but really now, is that a surprise to anyone? If you could go to say the Cowboys, Redskins or any number of other teams, that have an owner who puts winning first, a front office who has a clue, and a history of winning in recent memory, would you want to come to Buffalo? An organization who has sold out one of their home games, so far against divisional rivals, to another country for money-which many consider a prelude to a total move out of Buffalo? Sign with an organization whose owner is 91 years old, and when he does pass, will be sold to a new owner-who may want to bring in his own coach? Don't get me wrong, I have been a die hard Bills fan for nearly 40 years and always will be, but let me ask again, is anyone really surprised?

No one is going to say "yes" until after the season. Why would the potential coach do that and why would the Bills?

Ralph already said he's not hiring anyone until after the season. All of the coaching candidates have already said they won't give an answer until after the season. Even if they agreed to something, nothing would be done until after the season.

Pop Quiz: What's Shanahan's career record vs. Belichick...

4-3 (1-0 playoffs)

Somehow I doubt that would stop him from coming here.

I'm against it. That's more money than a Congressman gets when stepping out of the Capitol and getting hired by a lobbyist firm or a university or a Board of Directors and stepping back up the stairs.

Its all posturing, the money isn't the real issue. Its that these guys all have agents who want to see what else is out there. Plus too its around the holidays and these guys don't want to have to work during Thanksgiving and Christmas. So don't take Shanny not signing here as an insult to Buffalo he is just being very calculated with his decision.

How do people know that Shanahan doesn't want to come here? HOw many people here know that he is turned off by the talent here? The fact is nobody on this board or in the media has any idea what Shanahan wants. I know he will want Market value for his services which is probably around 10 million dollars. Beyond that nobody has any clue as to what his thoughts are on Buffalo.

I personally think that its an encouraging sign that he spent 7 hours over two days meeting with the Bills Organization. That is much more than being curtious.

I hate to break it to you guys but People like to take on Challenges especially in sports. Coaches are just as competitive as players. You guys make it sound like Mike Shanahan likes to walk easy street.

It is pretty bad, but really now, is that a surprise to anyone? If you could go to say the Cowboys, Redskins or any number of other teams, that have an owner who puts winning first, a front office who has a clue, and a history of winning in recent memory, would you want to come to Buffalo? An organization who has sold out one of their home games, so far against divisional rivals, to another country for money-which many consider a prelude to a total move out of Buffalo? Sign with an organization whose owner is 91 years old, and when he does pass, will be sold to a new owner-who may want to bring in his own coach? Don't get me wrong, I have been a die hard Bills fan for nearly 40 years and always will be, but let me ask again, is anyone really surprised?

You do realize that, that's the money Ralph is using to try and bring a guy like Shanahan in with? IMO, Ralph knows he can't rebuild the stadium full of $100,000 luxury boxes. So, he's done the next best thing.

Can you please provide some evidence that Ralph doesn't care about winning? Didn't he just bring in a high-priced FA? Didn't he just fire his underachieving HC mid season? Didn't he just com out and say he's prepared to pay whatever it takes to get a good coach in here?

You do realize Dallas' record over the last 5 years hasn't been stellar (save once)?

2004 - 6-10;

'05 - 9-7

'06 - 9-7

'07 - 13-3

'08 - 9-7

Nor has the Redskins?

2004 - 6-10;

'05 - 10-6

'06 - 5-11

'07 - 9-7

'08 - 8-8

So what was your point again, other than you've readily bought into the media hype that Dallas and Washington's owner somehow care and know more about winning than Buffalo's owner?

What's it been since you last posted regularly? 6 years? More? And yet, the broken record is STILL broken. You and Promo could have a little pity party, man.

I'd be remiss to point out that Bill Parcells walked into a incredibly crappy situation in Miami but I won't let you get off your rant on how horrible a franchise Buffalo is....

1-15 record

No stable ownership

No QB

No talent

No quality coaching.....need I go on?

Yup, that's a juicy offer and Mike Shanahan just feels like the right guy for Buffalo, I hope it all works out.

I agree. His son is very talented as well ( O coordinator for the Texans). We can hope. Shanahan would be good for the team. He's kind of a small city northern guy, wants back into the league. I like the idea of giving him a piece of the team. This would his last rodeo, so the fear of Ralph passing and everything changing is muted a bit. Especially if he gets a piece of the proceeds of the teams sale.

Parcells also walked into a terrible situation in NE with similar problems and drafted Drew Bledsoe and got them to the SB vs the Pats.

I'd be remiss to point out that Bill Parcells walked into a incredibly crappy situation in Miami but I won't let you get off your rant on how horrible a franchise Buffalo is....

1-15 record

No stable ownership

No QB

No talent

No quality coaching.....need I go on?

Exactly. It's not the money, it's not the city, it's not the players. Ralph is by far the biggest roadblock to getting any of the bigger "names" to agree to come.

Jerry Jones > Ralph

Dan Snyder > Ralph

It will be AMAZING if the Bills actually get this done with Ralph still in charge.

Exactly. It's not the money, it's not the city, it's not the players. Ralph is by far the biggest roadblock to getting any of the bigger "names" to agree to come.

Jerry Jones > Ralph

Dan Snyder > Ralph

It will be AMAZING if the Bills actually get this done with Ralph still in charge.

How the heck do you figure that? Ralph doesn't meddle anywhere near as much as those two..

Name me one coach right now making 8 figures a season. 10 million and part ownership is a crazy offer, way higher than any other coach is making and way more than any of these guys are worth.. Any coach would be just plain stupid to turn down that kind of offer, especially in this economy. If that truly is the offer, you have to tip your cap to Wilson, who is truly trying to turn this thing around.

Coaches salaries 2008.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesNFLCoaches.htm