Trent's last series

Coach Tuesday

I think Trent gave up. I believe he knows his career is over. I think he is bitter, and justifiably so. He had a decent skill set, and should have been a decent if not good QB.

Think about this... He goes out and tries, gets blindsided damn near every game. He has already suffered two concussions, and while some in the forum may disagree; there is way more to life than football. Trent probably sees it as he is just holding a roster spot until the end of the year, and doesn't want to further damage his brain, as he may need it when he is filling out applications this summer.

I became upset after last year'r MNF game against the Browns. Edward throws the picks and is visibly rattled. When Jauron gives the interview after the game, and is asked about the offense, he tells the reporters to ask Trent. You are the effing coach!! He dropped it all in TE's lap. TE, at the time, was a promising young QB trying to develop into a leader and a star. His coach should have sheltered him and blames play calling or whatever. TE is thin-skinned, but that is hardly a crime. Richard Jauron knew that and still threw the kid (he is a kid) under the bus. That was when the wheels came off. I remember driving home after that game, already mad for his p#$sy play calling, only to be completely floored by his responses in that situation. That was when the extension was still a rumor, and I thought it was a bad, bad idea. I am sure I am not the only one, but my worst fear has come true. Not only has his lack of a scrotum cost us games by playing not to lose, but he has damaged TE and now we have to spend a high draft pick (or a mid round, as we are the poster-children for the high end of below average) or big free-agent $ to get a new QB.

I know there are a lot of TE haters, and I understand why, but really he was on the verge of becoming our guy. We could have filled a few holes on the OL and on defense and really made our run. I know that I, not sure about you, had real optimism about this team when TE first took over. I felt we were on the cusp. I still do. We need a few new pieces here and there, and an actual effective scheme for offense (and defense) and I think we make a run.

It is sad to see what has happened to a once promising QB at the hands of an inept coaching staff. Between DJ, and AVP's ineffectiveness, we have lost a talent. I know there are the people that are going to say "Trent sucks," that's fine. The guy came recommended by Bill Walsh...think about that. He had potential, but lack of leadership and a group of finger-pointers have done us in.

T.O. wasn't the Kool-Aid I have seen him referred to. Fire up the Delorian and go back to last year...he was the big, physical receiver we all said we needed opposite of Evans... Our usage of him has turned him into a cancer. That is a shame. The guy did sell a lot of tickets, but he is a HOF receiver and look what happened to him here.

I just hope we put the wheels back on, because it hurts to pull for these guys, but that's what I do, and I have had tough times and people didn't turn their back on me. I won't turn my back on them.

As far as the draft...It would be really nice to get a new FO and HC in place immediately after the season to assess what we have going on here. I don't feel all hope for TE is lost, but he needs a motivator and mentor, not a coach who calls a keeper up the middle in your first half back from a concussion... How would that make you feel?

Let's go Bills. B-B-B-B-Bills

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Trent gave up. I believe he knows his career is over. I think he is bitter, and justifiably so. He had a decent skill set, and should have been a decent if not good QB.

Think about this... He goes out and tries, gets blindsided damn near every game. He has already suffered two concussions, and while some in the forum may disagree; there is way more to life than football. Trent probably sees it as he is just holding a roster spot until the end of the year, and doesn't want to further damage his brain, as he may need it when he is filling out applications this summer.

I became upset after last year'r MNF game against the Browns. Edward throws the picks and is visibly rattled. When Jauron gives the interview after the game, and is asked about the offense, he tells the reporters to ask Trent. You are the effing coach!! He dropped it all in TE's lap. TE, at the time, was a promising young QB trying to develop into a leader and a star. His coach should have sheltered him and blames play calling or whatever. TE is thin-skinned, but that is hardly a crime. Richard Jauron knew that and still threw the kid (he is a kid) under the bus. That was when the wheels came off. I remember driving home after that game, already mad for his p#$sy play calling, only to be completely floored by his responses in that situation. That was when the extension was still a rumor, and I thought it was a bad, bad idea. I am sure I am not the only one, but my worst fear has come true. Not only has his lack of a scrotum cost us games by playing not to lose, but he has damaged TE and now we have to spend a high draft pick (or a mid round, as we are the poster-children for the high end of below average) or big free-agent $ to get a new QB.

I know there are a lot of TE haters, and I understand why, but really he was on the verge of becoming our guy. We could have filled a few holes on the OL and on defense and really made our run. I know that I, not sure about you, had real optimism about this team when TE first took over. I felt we were on the cusp. I still do. We need a few new pieces here and there, and an actual effective scheme for offense (and defense) and I think we make a run.

It is sad to see what has happened to a once promising QB at the hands of an inept coaching staff. Between DJ, and AVP's ineffectiveness, we have lost a talent. I know there are the people that are going to say "Trent sucks," that's fine. The guy came recommended by Bill Walsh...think about that. He had potential, but lack of leadership and a group of finger-pointers have done us in.

We have thought about it, and discussed it. The following QBs were recommended/highly touted by Bill Walsh:

Joey Harrington

David Carr

Jake Plummer

Steve Fuller (sp?)

Steve Young

The following QB was NOT highly regarded by Bill Walsh:

Joe Montana

You need to think about THAT.

T.O. wasn't the Kool-Aid I have seen him referred to. Fire up the Delorian and go back to last year...he was the big, physical receiver we all said we needed opposite of Evans... Our usage of him has turned him into a cancer. That is a shame. The guy did sell a lot of tickets, but he is a HOF receiver and look what happened to him here.

That's because a certain QB with the initials of TE doesn't throw him the ball.

During the preseason, it was revealed BOTH Evans and Owens were begging TE to throw the ball deep.

I just hope we put the wheels back on, because it hurts to pull for these guys, but that's what I do, and I have had tough times and people didn't turn their back on me. I won't turn my back on them.

As far as the draft...It would be really nice to get a new FO and HC in place immediately after the season to assess what we have going on here. I don't feel all hope for TE is lost, but he needs a motivator and mentor, not a coach who calls a keeper up the middle in your first half back from a concussion... How would that make you feel?

Some of Trent's problems were caused by poor coaching, but the time has come to admit, not all of them. And those ones not caused by poor coaching are on Trent.

if any of that abortion of a last series by trent edwards was 'intentional', then !@#$ him, i can't wait for him to get out of buffalo.

Trent has difficulty hitting his own receivers consistently, what makes anyone think he can get the ball to an opposing DB that easily?

In general I have to agree with the poster here. TE's issues are more mental than physical, like JP. The difference is JP was not too bright, and TE is just not that passionate and does nto have the fire to win. I suspect DJ would never be visibly mad at a player and bench them unless it was about effort or attitude.

I always felt a good coach could have worked around that, but it's mute, his stint here is over.

And unlinke many NFL'ers, TE actually got a decent education in a field that would have required some smarts. Maybe he doesn't care that much but is willing to take the NFL paycheck until he accumulates enough to be financially independent.

Just throwing this out there. I've thought about it some more and I'm beginning to suspect that Trent's last series of horrible throws was intentional. I don't believe he tried to throw the pick, but I'm starting to think he purposely dogged the balls to TO. Here is my evidence, would like to get everyone's thoughts.

1) Accuracy has never been a problem for Trent. He sucks at a lot of things (reading coverages, throwing deep, etc.), but he's NEVER had a problem throwing the 12-yard out. I don't ever remember him throwing passes ten yards over a receiver or skipping them into the dirt like that.

2) Let's recall what happened earlier in the game. TO claimed to be open and that Edwards was missing reads. Essentially, TO was doing what he does, which is pouting and demanding the ball. Apparently the coaches agreed and we can only assume that multiple coaches and players told Edwards to get TO the ball.

3) Edwards is thin-skinned. Just a hunch, no evidence, just the sense I get from his reactions to things said in interviews, etc. He likely did not take well to people telling him he was screwing up his reads and that he needed to find TO. So what does he do? He drops back and just fires the ball in TO's direction, off-target, twice, to prove a point.

4) Jauron's reaction. This is my number one piece of evidence. Jauron is a horrible coach, but he's not one to bench a player who is trying hard, and he especially isn't one to call out a player who is trying hard. Yet Jauron did both of those things on Sunday. He clearly was angry with Edwards for something, and given Jauron's history, chances are it wasn't just Edwards' poor performance. I strongly believe there was something else that Edwards must have done to anger his coach, and the only thing I can think of was that Jauron perceived that Trent was dogging it out of frustration. And the fact that Edwards may not start against Jax only confirms my suspicion that there is way more to this story.

Ok there is my conspiracy theory, have at it.

I think an equally plausable but much more likely conspiracy theory is: the receivers were giving the coaches and Edwards **** about not getting the ball, so the coaches called more pass plays to get the receivers the ball, and Edwards tried to force the passes.

Because it really was a !@#$ed-up series of plays called, and those passes (particularly that last one, which never should have been thrown) were clearly forced.

OK, ask yourself this then:

Why did the team trade it's starting LT and not draft a single replacement?

Why was the player deemed the replacement cut just before the start of the season?

Stupid? You bet. Vindictive? You be the judge.

What do trading Peters/not drafting a replacement/cutting Walker have to do with the Bills being vindictive towards Crowell? The guy hasn't been able to play football for 2 years. Had he had the minor surgery last year, he still would have been out a month and hobbled for the remainder of the season, at which point he would have had to have the major surgery. And Crowell's absence did NOT cost the Bills a playoff berth last year.

One slight problem: why would Edwards sabotage his own career by cutting off his nose to spite his face?

Oh please Dave, you of all people on this board should know that if you're a decent player you do anything you can to be somewhere else next year. Edwards contract is up after this season and he's probably fed up with the BS like everybody else. Oh well though, as he sucks too.

We have thought about it, and discussed it. The following QBs were recommended/highly touted by Bill Walsh:

Joey Harrington

David Carr

Jake Plummer

Steve Fuller (sp?)

Steve Young

The following QB was NOT highly regarded by Bill Walsh:

Joe Montana

You need to think about THAT.

That's because a certain QB with the initials of TE doesn't throw him the ball.

During the preseason, it was revealed BOTH Evans and Owens were begging TE to throw the ball deep.

Some of Trent's problems were caused by poor coaching, but the time has come to admit, not all of them. And those ones not caused by poor coaching are on Trent.

Funny...I always knew the story as Walsh drafted Montana, mentored him, and revolutionized the position. I guess I didn't realize he did all this with somebody he didn't regard too highly. Steve Young didn't work out too bad either. I also am willing to bet that if Walsh had coached a couple of the other QB's on that list they would have worked out differently. He also liked Tom Brady, who you conveniently left off of your list. I feel that Brady would have gone the way of the David Carrs of the world had he not been drafted into BB's system. I am sure you see differently.

As far as TO goes... I was excited as anybody to get another big time receiver. One that could take the heat off of Evans and also make big plays, which TO has done for years. As far as him getting the ball... I think that part of the problem on Sunday was we were trying too hard to get him the ball. As I felt has been an issue on other important drives. Our big rabbit in the hat is the TO reverse. Wouldn't Evans seem better suited to maybe get one of those, with his speed?

The thing with TE, the point I was trying to make is that the blame is falling on him. The QB's that become something special in this league do so with the help of a great coach and mentor. Think back to when Big Ben won the SB his first year in the league. He made mistakes, but the first person that had him coming off of the field was Cowher. Then Cowher would scream and spit at him...telling him what he did wrong, telling him how to not do it again, and would finish with a you're my guy slap on the ass. Without that you could probably add Ben the the long list of failures. As much as I didn't like JP, he suffered from the same thing. There is no college QB that seamlessly makes the transition. It requires a great amount of learning and preparation. This would be provided by coordinators and coaches...a glaring weakness with the Bills.

If you want TE gone, you will get your wish. The question will be whether he is damaged goods, or if somebody like BB doesn't snag him and turn him into a good/great QB in a system. He could back up Brady and fill in admirably well once he learned the system. He is a smart guy, and could learn it with ease. He could also learn Buffalo's...if we had one. Wait we do, it's called snap and panic because your blind side is protected by the 3rd string practice squad. What? You only have two concussions and you are worried about waiting for TO and Evans to run 30 yards downfield while the blitz is coming? Ok, Ok, then we'll go to the QB keeper.

(dave mcbride @ Nov 17 2009, 10:13 AM)

One slight problem: why would Edwards sabotage his own career by cutting off his nose to spite his face?

Ask Ralph why he put Crowell on IR last year, Im sure he has the answer for you.

mrags was suggesting that sometimes teams don't do things in their best interests...they let emotions get in the way.

Crowell? ;) What has he done the past 2 years?

You didn't like the Crowell example.

OK, ask yourself this then:

Why did the team trade it's starting LT and not draft a single replacement?

Why was the player deemed the replacement cut just before the start of the season?

Stupid? You bet. Vindictive? You be the judge.

I offered others.

What do trading Peters/not drafting a replacement/cutting Walker have to do with the Bills being vindictive towards Crowell? The guy hasn't been able to play football for 2 years. Had he had the minor surgery last year, he still would have been out a month and hobbled for the remainder of the season, at which point he would have had to have the major surgery. And Crowell's absence did NOT cost the Bills a playoff berth last year.

OK? Think bigger...stop focusing on Crowell.

Who the heck said anything about the playoffs?

Just throwing this out there. I've thought about it some more and I'm beginning to suspect that Trent's last series of horrible throws was intentional. I don't believe he tried to throw the pick, but I'm starting to think he purposely dogged the balls to TO. Here is my evidence, would like to get everyone's thoughts.

1) Accuracy has never been a problem for Trent. He sucks at a lot of things (reading coverages, throwing deep, etc.), but he's NEVER had a problem throwing the 12-yard out. I don't ever remember him throwing passes ten yards over a receiver or skipping them into the dirt like that.

2) Let's recall what happened earlier in the game. TO claimed to be open and that Edwards was missing reads. Essentially, TO was doing what he does, which is pouting and demanding the ball. Apparently the coaches agreed and we can only assume that multiple coaches and players told Edwards to get TO the ball.

3) Edwards is thin-skinned. Just a hunch, no evidence, just the sense I get from his reactions to things said in interviews, etc. He likely did not take well to people telling him he was screwing up his reads and that he needed to find TO. So what does he do? He drops back and just fires the ball in TO's direction, off-target, twice, to prove a point.

4) Jauron's reaction. This is my number one piece of evidence. Jauron is a horrible coach, but he's not one to bench a player who is trying hard, and he especially isn't one to call out a player who is trying hard. Yet Jauron did both of those things on Sunday. He clearly was angry with Edwards for something, and given Jauron's history, chances are it wasn't just Edwards' poor performance. I strongly believe there was something else that Edwards must have done to anger his coach, and the only thing I can think of was that Jauron perceived that Trent was dogging it out of frustration. And the fact that Edwards may not start against Jax only confirms my suspicion that there is way more to this story.

I'll be honest, I kind of had the same feeling. It seemed like Edwards was tossing those passes out of anger... football, like all sports, are emotional. Don't know if Owens was chirping at him, or just to the coaches, but as Gannon pointed out, Owens "body language" was bad, like he was frustrated and pissed off. I thought Edwards looked much the same on that last drive. I don't think you are far off here... it may seem ludicrous to "jeopardize your career", but I doubt he was thinking that far ahead... he was just pissed at the moment. I think, too, you are spot on, in regards to Jaurons' reaction.

Well, one thing's for sure. It may not be this year, it may not be until he's on his next team, it may not even be until he is retired...but sooner or later, T.O. will tell all about this year, this organization, and these players. ;)

Good obsveration. Given Trents injury history, he may have been a little gun shy on Sunday after he thought that the game was out of reach. Clearly, he lacks the nerve to be a QB in this league.

TE has some talent but: He can't read a D and holds the ball too long. His arm is not built for the long pass. While he is a big guy, he is fragile and injury prone. Some may be due to the lousy inept OL, but much of it is on him. Yes, DJ is a disaster but if he had a more aggressive offense, Trent would have been worse. The fact that he can't throw to some of the best WRs in the league is squarely on him.