Trent's last series

Coach Tuesday

Just throwing this out there. I've thought about it some more and I'm beginning to suspect that Trent's last series of horrible throws was intentional. I don't believe he tried to throw the pick, but I'm starting to think he purposely dogged the balls to TO. Here is my evidence, would like to get everyone's thoughts.

1) Accuracy has never been a problem for Trent. He sucks at a lot of things (reading coverages, throwing deep, etc.), but he's NEVER had a problem throwing the 12-yard out. I don't ever remember him throwing passes ten yards over a receiver or skipping them into the dirt like that.

2) Let's recall what happened earlier in the game. TO claimed to be open and that Edwards was missing reads. Essentially, TO was doing what he does, which is pouting and demanding the ball. Apparently the coaches agreed and we can only assume that multiple coaches and players told Edwards to get TO the ball.

3) Edwards is thin-skinned. Just a hunch, no evidence, just the sense I get from his reactions to things said in interviews, etc. He likely did not take well to people telling him he was screwing up his reads and that he needed to find TO. So what does he do? He drops back and just fires the ball in TO's direction, off-target, twice, to prove a point.

4) Jauron's reaction. This is my number one piece of evidence. Jauron is a horrible coach, but he's not one to bench a player who is trying hard, and he especially isn't one to call out a player who is trying hard. Yet Jauron did both of those things on Sunday. He clearly was angry with Edwards for something, and given Jauron's history, chances are it wasn't just Edwards' poor performance. I strongly believe there was something else that Edwards must have done to anger his coach, and the only thing I can think of was that Jauron perceived that Trent was dogging it out of frustration. And the fact that Edwards may not start against Jax only confirms my suspicion that there is way more to this story.

Ok there is my conspiracy theory, have at it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just throwing this out there. I've thought about it some more and I'm beginning to suspect that Trent's last series of horrible throws was intentional. I don't believe he tried to throw the pick, but I'm starting to think he purposely dogged the balls to TO. Here is my evidence, would like to get everyone's thoughts.

1) Accuracy has never been a problem for Trent. He sucks at a lot of things (reading coverages, throwing deep, etc.), but he's NEVER had a problem throwing the 12-yard out. I don't ever remember him throwing passes ten yards over a receiver or skipping them into the dirt like that.

2) Let's recall what happened earlier in the game. TO claimed to be open and that Edwards was missing reads. Essentially, TO was doing what he does, which is pouting and demanding the ball. Apparently the coaches agreed and we can only assume that multiple coaches and players told Edwards to get TO the ball.

3) Edwards is thin-skinned. Just a hunch, no evidence, just the sense I get from his reactions to things said in interviews, etc. He likely did not take well to people telling him he was screwing up his reads and that he needed to find TO. So what does he do? He drops back and just fires the ball in TO's direction, off-target, twice, to prove a point.

4) Jauron's reaction. This is my number one piece of evidence. Jauron is a horrible coach, but he's not one to bench a player who is trying hard, and he especially isn't one to call out a player who is trying hard. Yet Jauron did both of those things on Sunday. He clearly was angry with Edwards for something, and given Jauron's history, chances are it wasn't just Edwards' poor performance. I strongly believe there was something else that Edwards must have done to anger his coach, and the only thing I can think of was that Jauron perceived that Trent was dogging it out of frustration. And the fact that Edwards may not start against Jax only confirms my suspicion that there is way more to this story.

Snore .....

you are really reaching ....

This team and Trent edwards simply suck it is no harder than that.

TO did? When? The outburst on the sideline was backed up by Josh Reed, and it was presumed to be about Edwards missing reads, and nothing more. I don't think TO and Reed were bitching because TO was open, I think they were bitching because they saw the same thing, tried to tell Edwards, and he blew them off.

Maybe TE did do it intentionally. But I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised to learn if those were plays were called just to see if Edwards was processing the defensive reads correctly. My guess would be he wasn't.

Here's how one writer recapped the series:

Edwards has ample time, steps up and throws the ball five yards over Terrell Owens’ head.

No problem, the Bills try the same play on second down, since Owens was clearly open on the outside. Again, Jackson and Lynch stay in to help block. Again, Edwards has time.

Again, he unleashes a quick-motioned, horrible throw. This time, he short-hops it well behind Owens.

On to third down — again plenty of time, Edwards looks dead left the entire time, finally throwing to Josh Reed. Vincent Fuller has a bead on Edwards’ throw, and waltzes in with a pick six.

Certainly sounds a bit funny doesn't it? The two receivers who chirped at Tolbert suddenly become victims of some bad throws.

link

I must admit that I abandoned this game long before this series.

It's plausible. But then you have to wonder why would a marginal QB without a locked up future pull that kind of an act?

If TE tanked the series on purpose, he may have kissed his career goodbye. Sometimes QBs, even great ones, need their WRs to work extra hard. It's a lot easier for WRs to make the QB look bad than the other way around.

I'm kind of with you on your point #4. To be honest, I did not think Edwards played THAT BAD leading up to that last drive. I mean we've seen so much worse from Trent and there were no ramifications. I can see why Jauron went with Fitz to maybe spark something late, but to bench Trent for the next game? No, something must have gone very wrong to warrant a benching vs. Jacksonville. Maybe they are starting to see that Trent's passion for the game is non-existent....but so is Jauron's for that matter,,,,at least outwardly.

Here's how one writer recapped the series:

Edwards has ample time, steps up and throws the ball five yards over Terrell Owens’ head.

No problem, the Bills try the same play on second down, since Owens was clearly open on the outside. Again, Jackson and Lynch stay in to help block. Again, Edwards has time.

Again, he unleashes a quick-motioned, horrible throw. This time, he short-hops it well behind Owens.

On to third down — again plenty of time, Edwards looks dead left the entire time, finally throwing to Josh Reed. Vincent Fuller has a bead on Edwards’ throw, and waltzes in with a pick six.

Wait, I thought TO should have been benched, and proved what a cancer he was/is, because of his horrible effort on that series? :(

It's plausible. But then you have to wonder why would a marginal QB without a locked up future pull that kind of an act?

If TE tanked the series on purpose, he may have kissed his career goodbye. Sometimes QBs, even great ones, need their WRs to work extra hard. It's a lot easier for WRs to make the QB look bad than the other way around.

One slight problem: why would Edwards sabotage his own career by cutting off his nose to spite his face?

Because he went to Stanford and there's more to life than football.

The idea of a conspiracy of some sort isn't out of the realm of possibility here. I wouldn't necessarily call it that though, more along the lines of Trent just being a little B word and trying to prove some sort of point.

I actually think that TE is just a lousy quarterback and even worse coming off little practice and a 2nd concussion. He probably would have trouble making it as a 2nd string on most teams in the league and he is going to be lucky to get even get a couple of tryouts for next year once the Bills cut him on January 4th.

The idea of a conspiracy of some sort isn't out of the realm of possibility here. I wouldn't necessarily call it that though, more along the lines of Trent just being a little B word and trying to prove some sort of point.

Now there's a theory that holds water.

Almost a good point except 2 things scream out that it is not the case.

1) Trent does not have a future in football at this point, he needs to make as many plays as he can if he even wants to think about playing football for a career.

2) Why wait until the last drive? TO and Reed were loud on the sidelines after one of the drives. The very next drive Trent went deep to TO where he should have scored but ended up inside the 20.

You may have a point to #4 but I think its Jauron noticing that Trent has no passion for the game at this point. Trent is almost a waste of a roster spot at this point. Ive seen Fitz and Trent and they are not the answer, Id be willing to give Hamden a shot next week. Or hell, Jackson threw a TD pass, just run him out of the wildcat for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (dave mcbride @ Nov 17 2009, 10:13 AM)

One slight problem: why would Edwards sabotage his own career by cutting off his nose to spite his face?

Ask Ralph why he put Crowell on IR last year, Im sure he has the answer for you.

I actually think that TE is just a lousy quarterback and even worse coming off little practice and a 2nd concussion. He probably would have trouble making it as a 2nd string on most teams in the league and he is going to be lucky to get even get a couple of tryouts for next year once the Bills cut him on January 4th.

Trent could backup JP in the UFL. ;)

Crowell? ;) What has he done the past 2 years?

OK, ask yourself this then:

Why did the team trade it's starting LT and not draft a single replacement?

Why was the player deemed the replacement cut just before the start of the season?

Stupid? You bet. Vindictive? You be the judge.

Why was the player deemed the replacement cut just before the start of the season?

Thanks BB,

It seems like some people still dont understand what took place with that Crowell move. I cant say I blame Ralph on that one tho. What AC did was dumb but putting him on IR may have caused us a playoff birth that year. Just like every year since weve had Jauron as the HC, that year we were extremely thin at LB (sound familiar and very much like a trend?) and John Digorgio and Keith Ellison had to step in, in AC's absence. If we could have gotten AC back by week 6 (which was expected) we might have made a few more plays.

And your right on about the LT position as well. The only reason why we didnt sign JP is because he took his toys and went home only to not call back for months. And then when it came time for him to miss out on any money he was right back with the team, telling them he missed them all along only to do it again the next year. So yeah, your damn right about it being vindictive.

You're on the right track with a vindictive person in the Bills organization. He was on the Houston Oilers coaching staff for the 1992-1993 comeback game and still holds a grudge. He vowed after that game to stick it to the Bills and has been doing it since he was hired as director of pro personnel in 2001. Damn John Guy, get over it!!!!!