Best hot dogs

nuklz2594

In my mind it gets no better than Zwiegles in Rochester, NY. Think sausage like skins that pop open- thick and great flavor.-

Available in Red Hots and White Hots!!!! :bag:

Zwiegles are the best I have had as well. Not even close. Get the POP OPENS!

Best hot dogs in the Capital District IMO are either Mike's Hot Dogs in Schenectady (Michigan style with everything and awesome greasy fries) or Dirty John's in Glens Falls (now I believe called New Way Lunch). Newest Lunch also makes a good hot dog with meat sauce as well.

Hard to find Zwiegles in this area :bag: so I would have to go with Sabrett.

i have tried zweigels, I like them, however being a lifelong hoffman guy, they still do not compare for me. I do think that zweigels has a nice peppery characteristic to it.....hell zweigels, sahlens, hoffmans.....if you are eating any of the three you won't go wrong...all very good hot dogs, its funny how regional thing the hot dog is

I have never tried Hoffmans...Have you ever had Zwiegles...

I am looking for a comparison.

Used to be Best's Kosher until Sara Lee took them over and now you can't get them anymore. At the Sox game in Chicago.

Nothing beats an all beef dog Chicago style.

Sahlens, makes me want to puke now... I can't believe I put up with those. And grilled? Okay, not bad... But, "dirty water" with celery salt is the way to go. :bag:

Shoot me now BFLOians!

:)

In line of order since Best's went out:

1. Red Hot Chicago

2. Vienna Beef

3. Anything all beef

4. The rest

One thing that has changed me is the hot dogs around here!

:wub:

Had lots of hot dogs at various places, but never raved about a dog until I had Hebrew National all beef. Apparently, per a friend, they are what are served at Cubs games (personally, never had the honor.) Get the giant foot long dogs... amazing.

Old timers will remember (spelled phonetically) Wordinski's and Skelenguski

You can still buy Wardinski's in WNY. Shelley's are long gone though. I always buy Sahlen's. One time this summer I bought Wardinski's when the place I was at was out of Sahlen's. They were good but not as good as Sahlen's IMO.

Buffalos best was & still is FREYS

Frey's Bologna rocks - never had their hot dogs

Sahlens and Wardys are 1 and 1a to me-- never had a Zweigle or if i did it did not stand out

you must have the natural casing to make it a good dog- it has to pop!

their is a butcher up here in WI called Haen's meat that has a good natural casing dog

saves me the the hassle of bringing back 5 lbs from buffalo every trip + the buffalo dogs lose their flavor after sitting in the freezer for a few months- the last couple of dogs aren't that good

I've bought from www.buffalofoods.com also but with shipping and handling you get up cliose to $10/lb- might as well buy a good steak for that price

hhmmmm might be a good night for some dogs!

Gotta go with Ted's. The lump charcoal they use is what does the job. I live in Syracuse where Hoffman's is king and everyone loves Heids in Liverpool but to me, that stuff is lame compared to Ted's. Love those shirts too, the black ones, any way to get one without being an employee?

see i am the opposite....never been a ted's fan, love heids....could just be the experience of it...a white hot or 2, chocolate milk(byrne dairy) and a dill pickle.....mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmm, my parents who are native buffalonians, love teds, and don't like heids

Gotta go with Ted's. The lump charcoal they use is what does the job. I live in Syracuse where Hoffman's is king and everyone loves Heids in Liverpool but to me, that stuff is lame compared to Ted's. Love those shirts too, the black ones, any way to get one without being an employee?

Old timers will remember (spelled phonetically) Wordinski's and Skelenguski

Old timers may also remember Malecki's.

IIRC, Ted's used Malecki dogs until Malecki's went out of business.