Langston Walker released/Kirk Chambers re-signed

Warren Zevon

I seem to remember at the beginning of training camp, that Walker had a somewhat negative approach to becoming the teams LT. My guess is that there was a combination of him being a malcontent, poor performance on his part, salary issue and better than expected progression of Bell that led to his departure.

In regards to the timing, well, it does seem odd on the surface, but perhaps his continued poor play and attitude contributed to the late decision of releasing him.

As far as I'm concerned, Screw it! Play the young guys, give them experience, it's time for an overhaul anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

Can you blame him? The guy knows what he's capable of and the BILLS, like all organizations who're clueless, all but guaranteed his failure. It was doomed from the beginning and looks that much dumber now that Oher is playing so well in Baltimore.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you blame him? The guy knows what he's capable of and the BILLS, like all organizations who're clueless, all but guaranteed his failure. It was doomed from the beginning and looks that much dumber now that Oher is playing so well in Baltimore.

Maybe the Bills like what they see out of Butler at RT and don't want a high-priced backup OT? I don't know and won't know until the season plays out a bit.

what a shock!!!!..Langston Walker was argubly our best lineman last year.......He should have been moved to RT......and send Butler to the Bench....I don't know why people are bashing Levitre.....wait, yes I do...that one play that he got manhandled in his first NFL game......I am not sure why people think Butler is so much better than Levitre........

I'm not criticizing him, I'm just speculating on what I believe happened. All though if he did have a negative approach going into the season, I would say that once he felt unsure about it in his mind, it was over for him. Wouldn't you say?

Since 2007

"Walker sucks"

"Walker sucks"

"Walker sucks"

"Walker sucks"

"Walker sucks"

"Walker sucks"

"Walker sucks"

"Walker sucks"

Today

"On my god, we cut WALKER??!!!??? Worst move ever-The end is here!!!!!!!"

Yep. Its Buffalo, everything sucks! Even before the season starts!

I'm not criticizing him, I'm just speculating on what I believe happened. All though if he did have a negative approach going into the season, I would say that once he felt unsure about it in his mind, it was over for him. Wouldn't you say?

It was all over in my mind, so I can't say he should feel any differently. It was a move destined for failure. Langston isn't Ogden but he was a pretty good RT. Leave it to the BILLS to take a pretty good RT and move him to a different position instead of finding a true LT. The friggin' Cardinals went to the SB with castoff Mike Gandy playing LT.

Come on Alaska boy, I am sick of your negativity. Move on. All your hate and negativity and your verbose posting really influence real fans that want to cheer on their team. Have you ever put a damn sock in your mouth! Your opinions are over inflated and always negative. I thought the lack of sun brought depression to WNY'ers, I guess in Alaska its ten fold.

The Bills are clueless and Alaska Darin knows everything!

Like I stated in an earlier post, Vic Carucci on the radio after the lion game had stated that Walker had gotten beaten almost every play.

His release just means the Bills want to save money again, perhaps they have another linemen they want to bring in as there are a few good veteran free agents out there. Some of those are coming off injury plagued seasons so how reliable would they be?

So, logically you would think that since the Bills are now saving money on Walker they can go get some expensive FA OT, some of this teams moves defy logic though.

I seem to remember at the beginning of training camp, that Walker had a somewhat negative approach to becoming the teams LT. My guess is that there was a combination of him being a malcontent, poor performance on his part, salary issue and better than expected progression of Bell that led to his departure.

In regards to the timing, well, it does seem odd on the surface, but perhaps his continued poor play and attitude contributed to the late decision of releasing him.

As far as I'm concerned, Screw it! Play the young guys, give them experience, it's time for an overhaul anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

Agree. If Bell has Peters-like qualities, there's one way to get there. Play Him.

But Then Pay Him.

I'm with ya NoName on not understanding why so many people wanted Butler to replace Levitre. Oh, I know!!! Cause Chris Collinsworth said welcome to the NFL Levitre!!! You bunch of tools, I'll go on record and say Levitre will perform better at G THIS year than Butler has in his career. Besides that one bad play, Levitre has been one of our most consistent O-linemen, and our most consistent rookie O-lineman. Yes, better than Wood so far going by consistancy. My only complaint with Levitre so far is a lack of push in the run game but hey, I was used to that already watching Butler. This line at least has the most potential upside excerp I'll say I wouldn't mind getting Jonathan Scott some reps at RT.

I bet they tried to trade Walker first and cut Chambers because they knew no team would rush to sign him. After failing to get any offers for Walker, they cut him and then re-signed Chambers. Just an educated guess.

Could be. But if they wanted to trade Walker, it would have been a week before final cuts, not two days after. Unless teams thought there would be really good tackles cut, which there weren't. Besides, who was going to trade for Walker and pay him 4-5 mil a year. The only team that would do it would be the Bills. :thumbdown: If they knew no team would pick up Chambers, that doesn't say much for Chambers.

That said, I could live with signing Runyan or Jones and putting them at RT and having Chambers and Butler as versatile back-ups.

Come on Alaska boy, I am sick of your negativity.

Who are you? Advantage: Me

Move on. All your hate and negativity and your verbose posting really influence real fans that want to cheer on their team.

Until this moment, I had no idea of my true power. And you obviously have no idea what verbose means. Advantage: draw.

Have you ever put a damn sock in your mouth!

No, but I'm sure that nightmare you're having about your time in county is having a large effect on your life. Advantage: Your prison husband.

Your opinions are over inflated and always negative.

Actually, I'm positive the BILLS are going to suck. Advantage: Push

I thought the lack of sun brought depression to WNY'ers, I guess in Alaska its ten fold.

Except the sun is up over 14 hours a day right now, you climatological challenged douche. Advantage: Al Gore

The Bills are clueless and Alaska Darin knows everything!

10 years without a playoff berth means AD knows mediocrity. Advantage: Ralph Wilson because I actually clapped for the crypt keeper in Canton.

Wow.

I was in a meeting all afternoon and never would have expected to read that this had happened.

This makes no sense whatsoever. At the very least, they should have moved him back to RT if they thought that they could do better at LT (or even kept him as a back up).

We got a young QB. We signed TO. We have good to very good skill position players. The problem is that we have an offensive line with the biggest QUESTION MARK that I can imagine. These young guys may end up being very good, but it is more likely than not that we are going to have a lot of growing pains. It is not as if we are adding one rookie or new player to the line. We have three rookies and no returning player from last year.

This is a very, very odd move.

It was a disastrous decision right from the start. The guy isn't equipped to play LT and doesn't want to play LT. I thought it was a disaster as soon as it was announced.

Yeah, I think that this is an AVP move.

I suspect that the timing of this has EVERYTHING to do with the change in coordinators. From all indications Jauron wants the no huddle run faster and the offense simpler. Here's my guess:

Turk: More complex offense + Walker advocate = slower pace to offense

AVP: Simpler offense + Bell advocate = faster pace to offense

Who are you? Advantage: Me

Until this moment, I had no idea of my true power. And you obviously have no idea what verbose means. Advantage: draw.

No, but I'm sure that nightmare you're having about your time in county is having a large effect on your life. Advantage: Your prison husband.

Actually, I'm positive the BILLS are going to suck. Advantage: Push

Except the sun is up over 14 hours a day right now, you climatological challenged douche. Advantage: Al Gore

10 years without a playoff berth means AD knows mediocrity. Advantage: Ralph Wilson because I actually clapped for the crypt keeper in Canton.

Wow. Typical. Anyway, take my advice, and by the way I have been here since the beginning.

Trent wont even make it to the bye week!

I don't understand everyone saying this now. Was Walker that good that he was going to stop Edwards from getting crushed? NO. Walker absolutely sucked in the preseason, Bell outplayed him by a long shot and now all of a sudden TE is going to get killed? If anything this may save Edwards.

Wow. Typical.

It's funny how you look at my consistency as a negative but are "opptomistic" about the upcoming season despite 10 years of mediocrity and a team that has fired its OC and starting LT less than 10 days before a game against a team they've been ONCE in the last SIXTEEN tries.

Anyway, take my advice, and by the way I have been here since the beginning.

:thumbdown:

surprising move because of its timing, but a little less so since we just switched coordinators.

Walker did not look like a good left tackle but he was still our best right tackle, just not 5 mill a year good and not clear enough of an upgrade reshuffle the line. I wonder if Langston really had the legs to run all the plays we want to be able to run.

we'll see how it plays out, but it wasn't looking like Langston was going to last regardless. Hope Bell's a quick study and we give him a lot of help the first few weeks.

I wonder how many of the people saying "no big deal, Walker sucked anyway" are the same ones who were saying "trading Peters is no big deal, Walker filled in just fine for him at the beginning of last season". But hey, the Bills didn't have to pay $10 million a year for an actual NFL-caliber left tackle and that's what's really important, so I guess the details don't matter.

I suspect that the timing of this has EVERYTHING to do with the change in coordinators. From all indications Jauron wants the no huddle run faster and the offense simpler. Here's my guess:

Except for one thing: http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...ackle-of-choice

Sources close to the team tell me there's a growing belief among some coaches on Dick Jauron's staff that Demetrius Bell should be the left tackle when the regular season opens Sept. 14 against the New England Patriots.

Offensive coordinator Turk Schonert is said to favor Bell because he has outperformed Walker and would give Buffalo the best chance to win.

I don't understand everyone saying this now. Was Walker that good that he was going to stop Edwards from getting crushed? NO. Walker absolutely sucked in the preseason, Bell outplayed him by a long shot and now all of a sudden TE is going to get killed? If anything this may save Edwards.

Its the timing that gets me. Chemistry counts.

That really could have been a factor. I remember that was my first thought when I heard about us running the no huddle exclusively. That not only was Walker going to suck at LT but he would be exhausted running up to the line, and that maybe Chambers or someone would have to spell him a series or two a game.

It's funny because everyone was saying Edwards was going to get killed with Walker playing LT.

Ralph is a joke. All of the moves the Bills make are about selling jerseys (T.O) or saving money (keep Jauron, cutting Rhodes/Walker).

Those player cuts were all about saving money. There is noone on the O line as good as Walker. He was not suited for LT, but he is by far the best RT on the roster. Rhodes is way better than Omon. Cutting those guys saves Ralph money.

He does not care about fielding a competitive team. He needs to go. The Bills are now the laughing stock of the NFL. Al Davis is laughing at Ralph. Atleast Al tries to win. Ralph treats the Bills like a 401k. He just wants to maximize the value for his family upon his death. He is not even pretending to care about football anymore, regardless of the crap he said in his HOF speech about loving the competitiveness. Maybe he did when he was younger. Clearly not any more.

I am a season ticket holder and will continue to be becasue I love this team and long for a time when we have a real owner to bring this team some real glory.

It was a disastrous decision right from the start. The guy isn't equipped to play LT and doesn't want to play LT. I thought it was a disaster as soon as it was announced.

So did Walker after they told him the day after the draft where we passed on mulitple LT prospects....

So did Walker after they told him the day after the draft where we passed on mulitple LT prospects....

you can honestly say that the top LT's in last years drafts are more ready to play then Bell? and how many are multiples? because i can only think of MAYBE 3 that we could"ve had at 11.

So you don't like him at LT move him back to RT!!!!!!! Bulter didn't look that good to me at RT. You cut Walker and Chambers, ugh, Bills FO sucks.

As I have been saying for weeks, Walker is paid way too much to play anywhere but LT for this front office.

The clown show is convinced they can field an OL of rookies and free agent cast offs.

Since they set a record for season ticket sales, I guess they are right.

Wheeeeee, as the merry-go-round spins madly out of control. Well, at least this offseason hasn't been boring ...

That is an excellent point Lori. This offseason has had more shockers than I can remember. Maybe not since 2002 when we got Drew Bledsoe or it could haven been 2003 with Laywer Milloy and Takeo Spikes.

I want to follow the logic here, because I assume our coaches and front office are paid to think things out in a timely manner and improve our team.

#1 we have a weak offensive line, but we trade away our pro-bowl LT, who admittedly is underperforming and unhappy - but we don't pay him to make him happy, since pro-bowl LT's just grow on trees and its not an important position, see, you can just

#2 take our adequately performing RT, who now is the best player on the line, and have him play LT, right? Even though he knows and anyone who understand football knows it will be a disaster, because he has the body-type for a RT, not an LT. And he is even sceptical if he can play the position, but we're told it will be fine, and then

#3 a week before the season starts you decide he can't play LT, in fact, although he was your "best" lineman he can't even play on the team at all, not even moved back to the RT spot, and you end up with

#4 a cheap undrafted LT who, being the bass-tard son of Karl Malone, has some athletic ability but five years football experience. And the guy has a bad back and hasn't practiced in two weeks. But that's fine. Because he's on a solid line with

#5 two rookie guards (one seems up to the task) an underperforming free-agent center, and a perpetually broken-down RT playing out of position. And for depth you got a guy who was waived and nobody else wanted, Johnathan Scott who now the more optimistic fools on this board are high on, simply because we haven't seen him play/suck yet, and one mediocre vet guard. But we didn't need to hang onto Walker - we could just let him go.

If this was just a money move, in that LW was making too much money to play RT, couldn't his contract have been re-structured ? Or was the FO giving LW a chance to test the waters and sign him back if he didn't get any offers ?

If this was not a money move, then perhaps there is a plan to bring in Runyan or trade for someone ? In either case, things will become clear in the next few days.

I certainly hope the answer is not 'none of the above' as then we are woefully low on depth.