Anyone feel sorry for JP Losman?

major

Does anyone feel sorry for JP Losman? Losman went through countless coaches and coordinators over the years, he was sacked way too many times (no o-line), etc... When he came in, I felt he exuded confidence. After his injuries and the coaching changes, he didn't exude that same swagger he had when we drafted him.

At any rate, I do feel sorry for the guy and hope he catches on with another team. On the flip side, I hope he learns how to release the ball quicker.

Does anyone feel sorry for JP Losman? Losman went through countless coaches and coordinators over the years, he was sacked way too many times (no o-line), etc... When he came in, I felt he exuded confidence. After his injuries and the coaching changes, he didn't exude that same swagger he had when we drafted him.

At any rate, I do feel sorry for the guy and hope he catches on with another team. On the flip side, I hope he learns how to release the ball quicker.

Yeah, I feel sorry for the guy. Financially set for life (assuming he doesn't manage money like he does an offense), and STILL getting paid to play a game for a living.

GO BILLS!!!

Sorry? Nah, not really.

I do agree that he was at least partially set up to fail with Mularkey's in-and-out-of-the-lineup routine and the organization's refusal to put a good line and competent receivers around him, but JP's biggest problem is that he just didn't play well enough when he had his chances. That, and that the other guy (Edwards) was better than him.

However, I do wish him well. I really like the guy. Having met him on multiple occassions (and in several different scenarios), he was as friendly and down-to-earth as any athlete I've ever met. Great kid, charitable, and kind to the City and the area. Quick story:

Summer of 2007: I was at Skybar with a friend (huge Bills fan originally from Europe--doesn't care who the QB is just absolutely loves the team and the game) and we saw JP with a bunch of his friends ordering shots. My friend walks up to the group and asks one of the guys if the dude that looks like JP is indeed JP, and the guy immediately grabs my friend by the arm, drags him up to the bar, and introduces him to JP. JP stands up, shakes his hand, talks with him for a minute, throws his arm around my friend and poses for a picture with him. Then he shakes my friends' hand again and buys him a round of shots for our group. That left a huge impression on me as far as Losman's personality. It wasn't just that he went out of his way to greet a fan, it was that he genuinely looked like he enjoyed it and appreciated our fandom. Even after he flamed out in Buffalo, my friends and I still talk about how cool that was of JP.

I believe every NFL quarterback deserves a 2nd chance when you are a premium selection in the draft.

I am amazed some team didn't give him a try out....I mean, what do you have to lose?

Its pretty obvious to me that every team in need of a QB saw an uncorrectable problem with his game.

I guess I feel sorry he never got another kick at the can....

Maybe a great guy but terrible QB. How can u feel sorry for him. He should feel sorry for what he put us into the past few years. It was unreal to sit through those games watching him quarterback our team. Finally hes out. It took way too long. Where did he come from? First round is a joke! Tulane? Cmon front office! Huge mistake. Not as bad as benching Flutie flakes tho.

Sorry? Nah, not really.

I do agree that he was at least partially set up to fail with Mularkey's in-and-out-of-the-lineup routine and the organization's refusal to put a good line and competent receivers around him, but JP's biggest problem is that he just didn't play well enough when he had his chances. That, and that the other guy (Edwards) was better than him.

However, I do wish him well. I really like the guy. Having met him on multiple occassions (and in several different scenarios), he was as friendly and down-to-earth as any athlete I've ever met. Great kid, charitable, and kind to the City and the area. Quick story:

Summer of 2007: I was at Skybar with a friend (huge Bills fan originally from Europe--doesn't care who the QB is just absolutely loves the team and the game) and we saw JP with a bunch of his friends ordering shots. My friend walks up to the group and asks one of the guys if the dude that looks like JP is indeed JP, and the guy immediately grabs my friend by the arm, drags him up to the bar, and introduces him to JP. JP stands up, shakes his hand, talks with him for a minute, throws his arm around my friend and poses for a picture with him. Then he shakes my friends' hand again and buys him a round of shots for our group. That left a huge impression on me as far as Losman's personality. It wasn't just that he went out of his way to greet a fan, it was that he genuinely looked like he enjoyed it and appreciated our fandom. Even after he flamed out in Buffalo, my friends and I still talk about how cool that was of JP.

I do agree that he was at least partially set up to fail with Mularkey's in-and-out-of-the-lineup routine
... and JP's inability/unwillingness to gain command of the playbook weren't?

That, and that the other guy (Edwards) was better than him.
Bledsoe and Holcomb would apply as well.

No, I don't feel sorry for him. I think he portrayed arrogance over his benching. I didn't like his attitude when he said it's such a hard effort to stay focused and interested as a backup. He said he's going to be in the NFL "for a long time". How did that work out JP?

He was a real Buffalo booster and for that reason I wish he was more successful. But to blame having too many coaches, etc. for his shortcomings is B.S. He simply couldn't cut it in the NFL. Too bad. Hopefully he saved some of his millions. I also hope he decides to stay in Buffalo. No reason why he can't keep working to improve the city.

PTR

I believe every NFL quarterback deserves a 2nd chance when you are a premium selection in the draft.

I am amazed some team didn't give him a try out....I mean, what do you have to lose?

Its pretty obvious to me that every team in need of a QB saw an uncorrectable problem with his game.

Ya think?

GO BILLS!!!

I do feel sorry for him because I think he is a good person. I wish he had the quarterbacking skills to match. Hopefully a light will go on for him and he'll be very successful.

Bledsoe and Holcomb would apply as well.

No, I don't feel sorry for him. I think he portrayed arrogance over his benching. I didn't like his attitude when he said it's such a hard effort to stay focused and interested as a backup. He said he's going to be in the NFL "for a long time". How did that work out JP?

Color me confused.

I said:

I do agree that he was at least partially set up to fail with Mularkey's in-and-out-of-the-lineup routine

To which you asked:

Weren't what? I'd love to answer you, but the question you asked makes literally no sense.

Also, I don't agree with anything else that you said, but I caution you that I won't be drawn (again) into debating the merits of players that couldn't get it done in Buffalo, other than to say that nobody likes being benched. I think he handled it just fine given the circumstances.

Ah yes, the summer of '07. After his "big" year in '06, everything seemed so right in JPLand. Before countless coaches conspired to ruin his HOF career.

If only he could relive those heady days forever............"Drinks are on me!".

I hear he's waiting until after the draft to sign with someone.

Ah yes, the summer of '07. After his "big" year in '06, everything seemed so right in JPLand. Before countless coaches conspired to ruin his HOF career.

If only he could relive those heady days forever............"Drinks are on me!".

No he is going to be the starting QB for the NY Jets & stick it up our a** twice a year for the next 10 years. :rolleyes:

Color me confused.

I said:

To which you asked:

Weren't what? I'd love to answer you, but the question you asked makes literally no sense.

Also, I don't agree with anything else that you said, but I caution you that I won't be drawn (again) into debating the merits of players that couldn't get it done in Buffalo, other than to say that nobody likes being benched. I think he handled it just fine given the circumstances.

:rolleyes:

There was definitely a disconnect between what I wrote and meant to write.

... and JP's inability/unwillingness to gain command of the playbook weren't? ... to blame for his failure.

That should help.

You wouldn't say that Bledsoe and Holcomb were better qb's than Losman?

Ya think?

GO BILLS!!!

Ya think?

GO BILLS!!!

Yes I do! :rolleyes:

Well, the 2009 NFL draft has passed...and so has the UFL draft...the 2010 NFL draft?

Great story. I'd venture to guess that most NFL QB's wouldn't have done that. That being said, he just wasn't able to cut it in Buff'lo. I really thought Al "Bombs Away" Davis would pick him up. I do wish him the best.

Great story. I'd venture to guess that most NFL QB's wouldn't have done that. That being said, he just wasn't able to cut it in Buff'lo. I really thought Al "Bombs Away" Davis would pick him up. I do wish him the best.

He sure could hit that home run ball.

Feel bad no but are you a little upset by some of his circumstances that led to him being a bust. Losman just had a few warts in his game that prevented him from being our franchise QB. The injury in 2007 and Trent emerging as the starter were the final 2 nails in the coffin.

From what I heard JP seemed like a good guy who really wanted to be embraced by the community and do well for Buffalo. But on the field he just didn't do it. So feel bad no because the Bills set him and his children up for life. But does it mean you are glad he is gone no.

Sorry? Nah, not really.

Why is Losman so hated by you people. We been 7-9 the last three years and we were better in 2006 with Losman at QB than with Edwards this last two years .2006 we had a more tougher schedule than we had last year, team got better the second half of the year and againts tough teams we played tougher like N.E. we lost by two points And the Colts, we lost by one point. S.D. who was 14-2 that year, we lost by three. We beat Jets who were 10-6 by 18 points. N.E. the second game and Bears were the only teams to beat us bad. The total record of the teams we played againt that year was 147 wins and 109 lost. Now if you want to talk about 2007 and 2008 ,He only started againts three teams with loosing records and six teams with winning record. Those six teams had a combine 73 wins and 23 lost. And than you look at our recievers and offense line play the last two years , plus our coaching staff. He was doomed. Now lets look at Edwards teams he started againts the last two years combine win and lost record of 149 wins and 205 lost. He look good the beginning of the year againts Seattle,Jacksonville,Oakland and St. Louis ,Yea real tough teams .And look how Edwards looked the last two years in the second half. I think Losman lost confidence in himself after last year and the other teams see that. Thats why nobody has pick him up this year.

Why is Losman so hated by you people.

You picked an odd post to reply to, especially considering the part you edited out:

The few times my path crossed Losman's left me liking the kid and hoping he succeeded. But Bandit nailed it -- sometimes the other guy is better. Players change teams all the time, and the world moves on.

Some people here DO hate Losman, just like some hated Bledsoe, or Rob, or Doug, or pretty much every high-profile player the Bills have acquired in the last 10 years. I still have problems understanding that level of fanaticism, but eh, whatever. For most here, though, the answer goes like this: we wish him good luck, but we'd rather watch someone else play quarterback for the Bills.

You picked an odd post to reply to, especially considering the part you edited out:

The few times my path crossed Losman's left me liking the kid and hoping he succeeded. But Bandit nailed it -- sometimes the other guy is better. Players change teams all the time, and the world moves on.

Some people here DO hate Losman, just like some hated Bledsoe, or Rob, or Doug, or pretty much every high-profile player the Bills have acquired in the last 10 years. I still have problems understanding that level of fanaticism, but eh, whatever. For most here, though, the answer goes like this: we wish him good luck, but we'd rather watch someone else play quarterback for the Bills.

Your right .I meant more about him as a QB. We were 7-9 with Losman starting in 2006 and have been 7-9 the last two years with easier schedules .I don't think Edwards is any better than Losman. Edwards had 14 starts last year with 4 teams with winning records, we lost all four games .He had 2 tds and 5 int. 11 sacks and 4 fumbles in those 4 games.

Does anyone feel sorry for JP Losman?...

:thumbdown::thumbdown::w00t::bag: In the words of that famous philosopher.......Yoda, "There is no feeling sorry, there is only feeling thanks he is gone."

And oh by the way, he earned the distinction of being passed up by the other 31 teams for back up quarterback. Feel sorry for him? I can't believe the Bills ever wasted a first round draft pick on this moron in the first place.

Your right .I meant more about him as a QB. We were 7-9 with Losman starting in 2006 and have been 7-9 the last two years with easier schedules ....

Well, the Bills would have been 8-8-0 last season if not for Lost-man's complete inability to understand the Jets defense, pass rush, and what to do with the football while rolling out. I don't know if Trent Edwards is the answer or not. Let's face it, the Bills have been searching for Jim Kelly's replacement since 1997, and if Edwards craps out, the search will go on. But Lost-man sucks. He was a horrible draft pick, and I'm thankful they signed Fitzpatrick to rid themselves of him once and for all.

I feel sorry for all of us Bills fans who have had a decade of futility. Losman was one of the reasons we had that futility. I think actually he got a lot more chances than most QB's ever get mainly because we had no real alternative until Trent came along in the 3rd round.

Did Losman do all he could for the Bills? No. He didn't take his role seriously when he was made a backup and wasn't mentally prepared for games. Other teams all know that and he messed himself up, maybe for good in the NFL, with that attitude.

And don't forget Losman was kept on in 2008 because the Bills felt they needed a quality backup and would not trade him, even if he would only be here for a year. That really backfired on the Bills because JP was no quality backup.

Being polite in public or buying drinks for people in bars isn't important. Being ready to play for your team on Sunday, even as a backup IS IMPORTANT. He failed at that.

Yes, I proudly bought a JP #7 autographed Helmet at a charity auction 2 years ago. I feel sorry for me too, particularly, because I'm not a millionaire for playing a rough game that I love to death. I hope, for whatever reason, that JP gets a chance to come back to the Bills this year, sort of like when Bledsoe came in and threw 3 passes in the play-offs after the macerated lung thing to get the Patriocheats to the Rams Super Bowl. Then, I can dump the god damn helmet on Ebay and get my money back.

JP- nice (but Spineless) guy. He should have had a spine and got into Mike MuckLarkey's face (back when). I would still hang out w/ JP. I would punch Mike (bullsh it), I mean Malarky in the face. I'd knock several teeth out of Greg Williams. I'd tip Tom Donahoe over in a urinal. I'd take Marv to Chef's. Now beat it, you MJ lovers.

If you're too PHD'd for what I have to say, then go eat a hot dog, and savor it like your after work secret.

I don't think Edwards is any better than Losman.

You might not, and you are certainly more than entitled to your opinion, but this places you virtually alone in the football community.

If Trent was out there as a UFA, it would have taken about 10 minutes to be signed by an NFL team, and I think 10 minutes might be a stretch. Maybe 10 seconds.

You might not, and you are certainly more than entitled to your opinion, but this places you virtually alone in the football community.

If Trent was out there as a UFA, it would have taken about 10 minutes to be signed by an NFL team, and I think 10 minutes might be a stretch. Maybe 10 seconds.

Let's not over-state his value here, Bill.

Significantly better QBs than Edwards have sat on the market a lot longer than 10 minutes.

This very off-season, guys like Jeff Garcia and Kurt Warner took weeks to sign.

Let's not over-state his value here, Bill.

Significantly better QBs than Edwards have sat on the market a lot longer than 10 minutes.

This very off-season, guys like Jeff Garcia and Kurt Warner took weeks to sign.

Garcia is 90. Warner, also not young, makes 15 million or more per season one would guess, and was probably not really going to leave Ariz.

Trent, like JP is young. He makes peanuts. I think he would be snatched up and signed to at least 3x what he makes here, perhaps much more. Of course this is my opinion, and nothing more.

??????

I guess you never heard of sarcasm. Plus that was the Senator's prediction awhile back. Losman sucks & he played himself right out of the league last year with his crappy play.

bs dont blame coaching or his injuries or circumstances. the reality of it all is simple good guy bad football player.

he simply did not have IT!

Why is Losman so hated by you people. We been 7-9 the last three years and we were better in 2006 with Losman at QB than with Edwards this last two years .2006 we had a more tougher schedule than we had last year, team got better the second half of the year and againts tough teams we played tougher like N.E. we lost by two points And the Colts, we lost by one point. S.D. who was 14-2 that year, we lost by three. We beat Jets who were 10-6 by 18 points. N.E. the second game and Bears were the only teams to beat us bad. The total record of the teams we played againt that year was 147 wins and 109 lost. Now if you want to talk about 2007 and 2008 ,He only started againts three teams with loosing records and six teams with winning record. Those six teams had a combine 73 wins and 23 lost. And than you look at our recievers and offense line play the last two years , plus our coaching staff. He was doomed. Now lets look at Edwards teams he started againts the last two years combine win and lost record of 149 wins and 205 lost. He look good the beginning of the year againts Seattle,Jacksonville,Oakland and St. Louis ,Yea real tough teams .And look how Edwards looked the last two years in the second half. I think Losman lost confidence in himself after last year and the other teams see that. Thats why nobody has pick him up this year.

He's not hated personally but he was hyped, was a 1st round pick and did not show any improvement in his time here. He was very frustrating to watch play. Maybe not as bad as Rob Johnson but he was approaching that level.

Not at all

He was given plenty of chances to prove himself. And when given that one last chance that so many folks round these parts begged for, how'd that Jets game go? :thumbdown:

Might have some shred of sorrow for JP had he not spent the last season and a half sulking and pouting about losing the starting job. I say might have some shred, but now that ship has sailed :thumbdown:

Who knows? We'll see.

bs dont blame coaching or his injuries or circumstances. the reality of it all is simple good guy bad football player.

he simply did not have IT!

He had it when they opened up the playbook in '06. So what did they do next? Closed it up tight as a drum and took away the ability to audible, handcuffing both young QBs.

When you have a young QB, you have to call plays and game-plan to his strengths and slowly coach away at his weaknesses. That's what they did in '06. Then in '07, they decided to game-plan to his weaknesses. They were shocked, shocked to find that there is gambling ... um, that he regressed under those conditions.

We will never know how good he could have been here, but he may well be back in the NFL at some point and if so, I'll root for him against every team except the Bills.

I don't think I feel sorry for any professional athlete who has made millions of dollars playing a game. With that said, I have nothing negative to say about J.P. as a person or as a citizen of Western New York. He has all the talent in the world, and was without a doubt a First Round bust for the Bills, but I too hope he catches on somewhere. He did get juggled around alot, never had any stability on the offensive coaching stafff and his progress was screwed up by Mularkey, when every time he had a bad quarter, he would get yanked and replaced by Kelly Holcomb. If there is any positive take on Jauron staying in Buffalo, it is at least there is consistency on the coaching staff (might be the only positive take, but that is a different post). Rumor has it that J.P. is going to be one of the 4 starting quarterbacks in the new UFL, which hopefully will open some teams eyes for him if he can get his head straight. I am a little surprised that no team has at least interviewed him considering his age, raw talent and the fact that he would come cheap now.