Best Beef on Weck in WNY

Have friends traveling to WNY next week and they want to try "the best beef on weck" in the area. I told them Schwable's but it's been a long time since I've had BOW in WNY....is it still the best?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you get right down to it, it's just roast beef on a bun. There's no recipe you have to nail. There are likely dozens of places that make a good BOW. It's like Philly. You can get a great hoagie almost anywhere....even at the Wawa.

PTR

When you get right down to it, it's just roast beef on a bun. There's no recipe you have to nail. There are likely dozens of places that make a good BOW. It's like Philly. You can get a great hoagie almost anywhere....even at the Wawa.

PTR

It is true it is just roast beef on a bun, however someplaces use a better grade of beef than others & some places use stale buns.

PTR

Mmmmmmmmmm....

Beef

Good point, PTR - these days, you can get a decent B.O.W. at a gas station...

NOCO

However, I do recommend...

Eckl's

PTR

Somewhat true Promo but I've never seen kimmelweck rolls available anywhere but in Buffalo. So that's one thing that differentiates a Beef on Weck from a roast beef sandwich.

Also good horseradish can be found in many cities but not all cities. It is hard to find horseradish as good as "The Famous Broadway Market horseradish." It's made fresh and by hand.

Going back to posts from last month regarding food I say Bar Bills in East Aurora and also McBee's Old Time Tavern in Amherst. Both places have great beef on weck, chicken wings, and chicken fingers. Both serve beers in frosted mugs and have great ambience.

Somewhat true Promo but I've never seen kimmelweck rolls available anywhere but in Buffalo. So that's one thing that differentiates a Beef on Weck from a roast beef sandwich.

They have some in the Albany area. PJ's BBQ near Saratoga Springs has BOW sandwiches, but I don't know if they pick up the kummelweck rolls locally. I can't imagine they have them shipped out from Buffalo, though.

Anyone know if they have it in Cuse? Am going there this weekend and am dying for one...

BTW...I must have missed this episode, but Charlie the Butcher is spreading the word...

BF

I gotta get out to Buffalo soon, I need some Wings and Weck to wash down with an ice cold :unsure:

Garbage plates are a few weeks away come trainging camp time :censored:

In Myrtle Beach, and there are a couple of places that have "pretty good" wings, but not like NY. Where are you at Carolina Bills fan?

I live in Boiling Springs, near Spartanburg/Greenville. I decided Iwould quit buying wings here, I like my own hot sauce much better anyway! Half the places around here bake them and they taste like crap. Even Hooters wings suck here!

heading up for Canal Fest on the 17th. Its been 7 years since I have seen my parents!

Pizza Junction here I come!

I live in Boiling Springs, near Spartanburg/Greenville. I decided Iwould quit buying wings here, I like my own hot sauce much better anyway! Half the places around here bake them and they taste like crap. Even Hooters wings suck here!

heading up for Canal Fest on the 17th. Its been 7 years since I have seen my parents!

Pizza Junction here I come!

Hooters wings SUCK here in FLA, & this is where Hooters started. There are some decent wings here however due to all the Buffalo transplants. :censored:

Hooters wings SUCK here in FLA, & this is where Hooters started. There are some decent wings here however due to all the Buffalo transplants. :censored:

I had some at Hooters in Panama City that were ok, but at the one here, the sauce doesnt even stay on the wing. It's all grease.

Have friends traveling to WNY next week and they want to try "the best beef on weck" in the area. I told them Schwable's but it's been a long time since I've had BOW in WNY....is it still the best?

Schwabs is outstanding. You done good.

As The Sen mentioned, Charile the Butcher is delicious, but I expect they want more of a restaurant. His recommendation of Eckl's is good, too (but it has been a while for me).

I here a place called Carson's in Lockport is supposed to be excellent, but I think it is a Deli-like place.

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3718785945

If they are in a hurry and want great wings and beef, I recommend Mister Dee's.

http://www.misterdees.com/

Anyone know if they have it in Cuse? Am going there this weekend and am dying for one...

Wegmans. Seriously. I can't think of any restaurant in Syracuse that does Beef On Weck. There was one that I tried years ago, it has since closed, which is good, because they forgot the kimmelweck roll when I ordered.

man, i miss good chicken wings. I live in the south (sc) and there is no such things as good chicken wings down here. I am jealous-

hahaha...why not just make your own...its pretty easy...margerine and franks red hot sauce are the basics for the sauce, and then just fry up some wings...I know they love frying everything up down south, so you should be all set...

hahaha...why not just make your own...its pretty easy...margerine and franks red hot sauce are the basics for the sauce, and then just fry up some wings...I know they love frying everything up down south, so you should be all set...

MUCH BETTER with REAL BUTTER.

Creekside Inn, Williamsville

Do you mean the Creekview (was the Creekside many years ago) on Main St ? Or does the Creekside still exist in its relocated location (Maple Road, maybe) or another Williamsville spoter?

If you are speaking of the long-established restaurant on Main St in Williamsville, it was one of the top BOW when it was the Creekside and it was hand carved at the bar.

I worked there after Lou Galanter bought it and changed the name to the Creekview, and while acceptable, the BOW was nowhere near the area's best. I believe it has changed ownership again, so the product may have improved...but I believe it is still called the Creekview.

The relocated Creekside continued the tradition of carving the beef at the bar for some years, but I thought it went out of business.

The Bar Bill Tavern in East Aurora. Hands down. Great wings too.

:censored::unsure:

But, it's cash only, so make sure you bring some!! Get the big one, too... My GA born wife makes me drive out there to get her a Beef on Weck every time we're in Buff. We've talked about moving back up there and, if and when we do, she's dead set on EA for two reasons... Bar Bill & family down the road.

Mmmmmmmmmm....

Beef

Good point, PTR - these days, you can get a decent B.O.W. at a gas station...

NOCO

However, I do recommend...

Eckl's

Also good horseradish can be found in many cities but not all cities. It is hard to find horseradish as good as "The Famous Broadway Market horseradish." It's made fresh and by hand.

Going back to posts from last month regarding food I say Bar Bills in East Aurora and also McBee's Old Time Tavern in Amherst. Both places have great beef on weck, chicken wings, and chicken fingers. Both serve beers in frosted mugs and have great ambience.

All I was saying is there are probaby a number of good BOW joints in WNY. Like wings it's hard to say one place is best.

PTR

Wegmans. Seriously. I can't think of any restaurant in Syracuse that does Beef On Weck. There was one that I tried years ago, it has since closed, which is good, because they forgot the kimmelweck roll when I ordered.

Doesn't Coleman's in Syracuse serve a Beef on Weck? Seems I had one at Coleman's in Oswego, which is now closed. Not up to Swiston's standards though.

Doesn't Coleman's in Syracuse serve a Beef on Weck? Seems I had one at Coleman's in Oswego, which is now closed. Not up to Swiston's standards though.

Ah, yes. I forgot about Coleman's when I was checking various restaurant menus online. Here's Colemans....

Beef on Wick

Slow roasted beef served on a kimmelwick roll with a side of au jus, with fries…$7.99

Ah, yes. I forgot about Coleman's when I was checking various restaurant menus online. Here's Colemans....

Beef on Wick

Slow roasted beef served on a kimmelwick roll with a side of au jus, with fries…$7.99

Ah yes, that's the other thing about McBee's. They are among those places that serve the big, steak fries...always golden brown and never greasy.

:thumbsup::w00t:

But, it's cash only, so make sure you bring some!! Get the big one, too... My GA born wife makes me drive out there to get her a Beef on Weck every time we're in Buff. We've talked about moving back up there and, if and when we do, she's dead set on EA for two reasons... Bar Bill & family down the road.

Your are right- Bar Bills in E.A. and Eckl's in O.P.

Even Buffalo Spree agrees....

Steve's Pig & Ox Roast on Ridge Rd. Lakawanna. You won't go wrong.

Frank's Grille in Lancaster is pretty good too.

PTR

For years we have been trying to remember the name of the best BOW we've had and it was Franks. The whole family is out west now (CA and AZ) and my sister was back a year ago and we couldn't remember the name. Just knew it was close enough to where I worked on Walden Rd to get there.

Thanks and now we know when we get back home.

PTR

Way to straddle the fence.

Schwable's.

Schwabl's (there's no "e") without a doubt. The sandwiches are just sublime and the old school atmosphere is almost worth the trip all by itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidkski/397169907/

Gourmet Magazine did a feature on it a few years back, and said it was "the best Roast Beef Sandwich IN THE COUNTRY" I'm happy to say that I went there yesterday and the quality is as EXCEPTIONAL as ever.

(BTW - The hot German potato salad, yellow pike and drinks - Tom & Jerry's and Ebeneezer Punch - are also great.)

Schwabl's (there's no "e") without a doubt. The sandwiches are just sublime and the old school atmosphere is almost worth the trip all by itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidkski/397169907/

Gourmet Magazine did a feature on it a few years back, and said it was the bewst Roast Beef Sandwich in the country. I'm happy to say that I went there yesterday and the quality

(BTW - The hot German potato salad, yellow pike and drinks - Tom & Jerry's and Ebeneezer Punch - are also great.)

Yes, yes...do go on. The quality...?

:thumbsup:

The Bar Bill Tavern in East Aurora. Hands down. Great wings too.

Just pin this post so that whenever the best wings or beef on weck discussion arises again everyone knows the correct answer. The Bar bil has no peer in wings or weck.