Move Back to Buffalo?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always think about moving back. I keep looking at affordable houses and think I could do it. I'm self-employed and do my work online so I could take my business anywhere. Of course If I go it will be without the wife. She's not from there and somehow fails to appreciate the charms of the ol' town. The one pitfall of moving back is my alcohol consumption would likely skyrocket.

PTR

I moved away in 1988, but more and more, I long to go home. The job situation scares me, but, honestly, at 44, I have come to the conclusion that I am likely never going to love any job. As long as I can make enough to get by on, and enjoy my life away from work, I am pretty content. I live in a great city (Austin, TX) but the older I get, i find myself having less and less time to enjoy the things that make it so great. The things I enjoy most, are the things I have always enjoyed. As miserable as Buffalo may be, those things are still there...what holds me back, most, is my gf. I love her, and don't want to lose her. She is not from WNY, and while she says she wouldn't completely be opposed to moving there, I know her well enough to know, she would never last a Buffalo winter. She is "chilly" if it gets below 75 degrees. Personally, I find the cold weather exhilarating,

and the extreme heat (it has already been in the high nineties here for the last week and a half) oppressive.

Much as I love Buffalo, it is a hard sell to the uninitiated...

you know what? If you're happy in Buffalo and have your reasons for wanting to be there, then nothing else matters.

I live there after being away for a while. My friends are mostly here, my family is about 1-2 hours away, I have a good paying job, the Bills and Sabres are in town, there are tons of great places for food, art, and culture, and it is just the right sized area for me.

You can always travel and explore other places, and I love doing that. But I also love little things like listening to Howard Simon talk about the Sabres/Bills on the way to work, going to Wegmans', getting together with my friends on sundays to watch Bills games, going to free Fridays at the Albright Knox, biking on the many miles of trails, the fishing, and the list goes on and on.....

I get where you're coming from asking advice, but really, it's your life. I am the type of person who could never feel settled anywhere and moved all over the northeast when I was younger. I have found Buffalo to be a place where I feel at home. Nothing is perfect, but this feels like where I belong.

Others desire other things. Winter can be tough, like anywhere in the northeast. Some people need the beaches, the hot weather, and the sun. Some have to have the bigger better deal, and that's OK. Some people like to live in a log cabin in the mountains....

I'll paraphrase John Adams: All the world may applaud your choices and decisions, but if they are not based on what is in your heart, all the applause in the world will ring empty.

I have not lived in Buffalo for 37 years, and always wonder about moving back.

I lived in the Lakeview area, and I have such fond memories growing up there,

and most of the better ones involve snow. But just like everyone else, my tolerance

level for the Cold isn't what it used to be. That being said, I think that the weather thing

is very negatively overrated. It is cold and snowy in just about every other Notheastern city

in the US through the Winter months, maybe not quite as cold and snowy as Bfllo, but really

not much different.

The economic thing is the killer one for the city, that is the one that needs addressed more than anything else.

In regards to the weather...You definitely have been away from it for 37 yrs. I love buffalo, but the weather you experience there is unlike any other city in the north east with the exception of maybe mountains in VT. It snows more while you are grocery shopping in wegmans than it does in 99% of areas south of NY on the east coast. :rolleyes:

Lots of weather references. My problem with the weather in Buffalo is that it is not harsh enough. By that, I mean it's not really cold enough to be guaranteed a good ski season, a white Christmas, or outdoor ice skating. Hamburg used to freeze a field for skating every year, but the cold is not sustained long enough for it to remain, so you get maybe two weeks of skating/ice hockey in (if you're lucky) and then the ice melts. And then, to top it off, the weather just stays crappy until about mid-May. You get that tease in late March or early April with some nice warm weather and you think winter is over, then BAM -- 12 inches of snow on April 30th or something like that. It's like the worst of all worlds weather-wise -- not really cold enough to be a reliable outdoor winter wonderland and yet, at the same time, the winter just goes on and on and on and on.

I could not agree more. I had a very similar experience. what's the old saying.. "you can never go home.." very true in this case.. WNY is horribly backwards relative the rest of the country, its more expensive than you think and the positives do not outweigh the negatives, not any more. I've made a lot of mistakes in 52 years, but moving back there is by far and away no. 1. stay away. IMO.

In an effort to remain "fair and balanced"...

Disclaimer. I don't live in Buffalo, but am originally from Rochester and live in Upstate New York. I could not disagree more! I've lived in SoCal, New Jersey, North Carolina, Detroit, Boston, Rhode Island, Salt Lake City. I was fortunate enough to get a good paying job (the biggest obstacle to living well in Upstate New York) 7 years ago, and remember thinking that Tom Wolfe was an idiot - you CAN go home again. If you want to consider UNY "backward", well, okay, that's one way to put it. I can see that at times when I go back to the places listed above. The opposite side of that coin, however, is to label high housing prices, smog, choked freeways, crappy underfunded schools and superficial neighbors as "progressive". I've made even MORE mistakes in 52 years, but the smartest thing I ever did was to move back here and give my family a great upbringing. They also love it, and would never move away.

As for the weather...if all we ever worried about was climate, we as a species would never have made it out of Olduvai Gorge. That's what they make Polartec, Thinsulate and GoreTex for.

Metzelaars, the thing you'll have to watch out for is moving someplace else, and meeting a really nice lady who has NO interest in moving from where you've met her. As you can see by a number of posts on this thread, once you do that, you'll NEVER get out of Kansas City, or Denver, or Seattle, or wherever.

Metzelaars,

As you can see it's a very personalized thing. I see both sides of it, having moved away seven years ago and wanting to return some day on my own terms (retirement, snowbird away during the winter).

I think it is good to see the world, to make you more secure in your decision of whether to come back or not. If you don't leave how will you ever know? You can always come back. It's a great area and I left my heart in Western New York.

As for snow in May? My wife remembers two Mothers Days (mid May) where there was snow on the ground so while infrequent, yes it can happen.

Just remember that next year NYS is projecting an $18 billion budget deficit, and they ain't gonna cut spending to balance it, so NYSers will get taxed far more than this year.

NYS will have to wake up at some point and realize that they have their heads up their collective :doh: on this issue. If they hope to even just maintain an economic base in the state they will have to cut taxes (and yes reduce "services") to achieve this. As you know here in Dallas we have a relatively business friendly tax system and it is reflected in the economy.

NYS will continue to have a disavantage when it comes to weather but I am not so sure that June, July, August and September here are that much worse than Mid Nov - Mid March in upstate NY. The one big difference is that the heat does not force cancellation of activities / work - snow does from time to time.

Just remember that next year NYS is projecting an $18 billion budget deficit, and they ain't gonna cut spending to balance it, so NYSers will get taxed far more than this year.

Second only to California's 34 billion projection. Patterson scares the sh-- out of me with all his tax proposals, he is one scary dude with absolutely no chance of being "re-elected". Splitting NYS into 2 states may be the best scenario IMO, but it will never happen.

Has anyone on here ever left Buffalo after college and then moved back? Does it work? Do you find yourself wanting to turn around and leave again? I'm thinking of moving back there this fall, but I'm not sure if I can. Are there any single girls in their late 20's/early 30's? Whenever I go home, it seems that the city is mostly college kids and full-blown adults and not so many people in between. Biggest things luring me back are Bills season tickets, family and the food, but is that enough? Any peronal testimonies would be appreciated...

Left Buffalo in '86 for better work options.

Living in Atlanta since.

I think huge response to the original querry shows the passion for city - love it or hate it.

Being away all these years may be clouding my memory, but for me, the winters in Buffalo aren't nearly as dreadful as summers in Atlanta. Aghhhhh. You can't stand outside for two minutes without sweat rolling off your back.

I have such great memories of summers in Buffalo. It's when people came out from hibernation and made the most of the 4-5 months (say, mid May through mid October) ideal temps.

As far as snow goes, I have fond memories of the first snowfalls of the year. Plenty of great recollection of brisk, clear, still evenings in December with several inches of snow in the neighborhood roofs, and a classic Rockwell-like vision of christmas lights reflecting off the snow in the darkness. The only sound was the crunching of snow under my boots.

Maybe it all comes down to who's an optimist and who's a pessimist. The weather was not a factor for me. Those glorious summers were the payoff for the months of cold wind and snow blowing off the lake.

The snow always made it seem more like Christmas to me. In reality, it was only the period from around mid-January - mid March when it started to get old. But, there was always the spring thaw and subsequent summer months only weeks away.

It's not even technically summer yet, and I've already had it with the heat here in Atlanta. High 90's all week. And it ain't a "dry heat". It is fking miserable. Except for some activity at the neighborhood pool and the occasional walker, there is hardly any sign of life around the neighborhood throughout the summer. It's like a ghost town. In Buffalo, you could hear the boisterous screams of children playing, all day long from late June through Labor Day.

Sadly, it's Buffalo's backward thinking power brokers who keep Buffalo in the dark ages. It's easy to blame politicians, but let's face it - they're elected officials. Any proposed endeavor or project that could be a boost to the future of Buffalo is quickly squashed by political infighting and the lack of anyone to stand up and make a friggin decision. The degree of apprehension is astounding. And of course, the taxation issue doesn't attract or retain businesses (translation -jobs).

Would I move back to Buffalo? We've talked about it for years. I could see it happening. Unless you're in Atlanta society or philanthropy, there is not much of a feeling of community here. The most interaction Atlantans have with each other is when they're giving the finger to another motorist during the work commute.

Buffalo is a friendly place. The knock that "there's nothing to do" is absurd. Obviously, if you're into surfing it's not a great place, but I swear, I could come up with list of recreational activities and attractions located within 1-2 hour drive that would beat that of almost any other American city.

I have this fantasy that one day the state and local politicians will realize that their only hope is to reduce property taxes and eliminate the state income tax. Ex-patriots like myself would be flocking back. New jobs would be created at a pace not seen since the industrial revolution. So much potential. I believe one day the area will thrive again. I just don't know that it will be in my lifetime.

Living in Atlanta since.

I think huge response to the original querry shows the passion for city - love it or hate it.

Being away all these years may be clouding my memory, but for me, the winters in Buffalo aren't nearly as dreadful as summers in Atlanta. Aghhhhh. You can't stand outside for two minutes without sweat rolling off your back.

I have such great memories of summers in Buffalo. It's when people came out from hibernation and made the most of the 4-5 months (say, mid May through mid October) ideal temps.

As far as snow goes, I have fond memories of the first snowfalls of the year. Plenty of great recollection of brisk, clear, still evenings in December with several inches of snow in the neighborhood roofs, and a classic Rockwell-like vision of christmas lights reflecting off the snow in the darkness. The only sound was the crunching of snow under my boots.

Maybe it all comes down to who's an optimist and who's a pessimist. The weather was not a factor for me. Those glorious summers were the payoff for the months of cold wind and snow blowing off the lake.

The snow always made it seem more like Christmas to me. In reality, it was only the period from around mid-January - mid March when it started to get old. But, there was always the spring thaw and subsequent summer months only weeks away.

It's not even technically summer yet, and I've already had it with the heat here in Atlanta. High 90's all week. And it ain't a "dry heat". It is fking miserable. Except for some activity at the neighborhood pool and the occasional walker, there is hardly any sign of life around the neighborhood throughout the summer. It's like a ghost town. In Buffalo, you could hear the boisterous screams of children playing, all day long from late June through Labor Day.

Sadly, it's Buffalo's backward thinking power brokers who keep Buffalo in the dark ages. It's easy to blame politicians, but let's face it - they're elected officials. Any proposed endeavor or project that could be a boost to the future of Buffalo is quickly squashed by political infighting and the lack of anyone to stand up and make a friggin decision. The degree of apprehension is astounding. And of course, the taxation issue doesn't attract or retain businesses (translation -jobs).

Would I move back to Buffalo? We've talked about it for years. I could see it happening. Unless you're in Atlanta society or philanthropy, there is not much of a feeling of community here. The most interaction Atlantans have with each other is when they're giving the finger to another motorist during the work commute.

Buffalo is a friendly place. The knock that "there's nothing to do" is absurd. Obviously, if you're into surfing it's not a great place, but I swear, I could come up with list of recreational activities and attractions located within 1-2 hour drive that would beat that of almost any other American city.

I have this fantasy that one day the state and local politicians will realize that their only hope is to reduce property taxes and eliminate the state income tax. Ex-patriots like myself would be flocking back. New jobs would be created at a pace not seen since the industrial revolution. So much potential. I believe one day the area will thrive again. I just don't know that it will be in my lifetime.

Well said!

Living in Atlanta since.

We can dream. --Enjoyed your post.

Living in Atlanta since.

That's a beautiful fantasy, and your post is filled with wonderful sentiment. I was excited to move back. Unfortunately, in the more than 10 years since I've returned - way longer than I ever thought I'd stay - the more things change, the more they stay the same. I love the city - or want to - which is why it is so damned frustrating to witness what goes on here.

I remember fighting hard along with Scott Fischer and his group to preserve the Erie Canal remains. Anyone remember the Empire State Development Corp.'s argument that the rocks would 'explode' if unearthed and exposed to the elements - the same 200 million year old limestone that you see exposed along the Kensington Expressway? We won that one, but it's taken almost 10 years to see the tiniest bit of progress on the waterfront. [Edit that - it's taken well over 30 years since the Erie Basin Marina, Rivermist townhouses, Naval Park, and Crawdaddy's restaurant went up for anything else to happen on that prime real estate, and remember how long Crawdaddys' site stood vacant before the new Shanghai Red's restaurant replaced it.]

Know how long it took for the old Boston Garden to come down after they built the Fleet Center? Less than a year. HSBC Arena opened in 1996, and the Aud still hovers over some of downtown Buffalo's prime development sites. Even before I moved back, there was talk of a new Peace Bridge. Seems the Peace Bridge Authority will use any argument to get the exact bridge they want, no matter how intrusive or ugly (the latest one has to do with the bridge endangering some species of migratory birds), rather than using the opportunity to make an architectural statement with a true 'signature bridge' while restoring Front Park - the jewel of the Olmstead Park System - probably because too much graft has already changed hands. We had a perfect opportunity to rebuild Route 5 at grade level and open up access to the waterfront while at least making it possible to finally bring down the Skyway but, again, too much graft has already entered the pockets of Congressman Higgins and our other political crooks.

We begged the Senecas to put a casino downtown, then wouldn't sell them any of the sites they wanted. When they said, "Screw it!', and tried to build in Cheektowaga, Buffalo sued to make them build it downtown. The Senecas quietly bought up the land, put up a temporary facility, broke ground on a beautiful facility in an area that is nothing but urban blight, and a now a legal suit has been filed to shut it down! We sue to force them to build downtown, then we sue to make them stop. Is it any wonder why we look like retards to the outside business world?

I could just go on, and on, and on, and on...

Our motto should be, "Buffalo - what we don't fk up, we schitt on!"

Lots of weather references. My problem with the weather in Buffalo is that it is not harsh enough. By that, I mean it's not really cold enough to be guaranteed a good ski season, a white Christmas, or outdoor ice skating. Hamburg used to freeze a field for skating every year, but the cold is not sustained long enough for it to remain, so you get maybe two weeks of skating/ice hockey in (if you're lucky) and then the ice melts. And then, to top it off, the weather just stays crappy until about mid-May. You get that tease in late March or early April with some nice warm weather and you think winter is over, then BAM -- 12 inches of snow on April 30th or something like that. It's like the worst of all worlds weather-wise -- not really cold enough to be a reliable outdoor winter wonderland and yet, at the same time, the winter just goes on and on and on and on.

you are correct

The result is a never ending dreary, grayness from October to May.

Whenever it rains, it gets cloudy a week before and a week after.

You don't really focus on this until you move away for a while and experience sun shine.

It rains other places, but it is short term and then the sun comes. Hell, even when it is cloudy, it is brighter than in Buffalo.

you know what? If you're happy in Buffalo and have your reasons for wanting to be there, then nothing else matters.

I live there after being away for a while. My friends are mostly here, my family is about 1-2 hours away, I have a good paying job, the Bills and Sabres are in town, there are tons of great places for food, art, and culture, and it is just the right sized area for me.

You can always travel and explore other places, and I love doing that. But I also love little things like listening to Howard Simon talk about the Sabres/Bills on the way to work, going to Wegmans', getting together with my friends on sundays to watch Bills games, going to free Fridays at the Albright Knox, biking on the many miles of trails, the fishing, and the list goes on and on.....

I get where you're coming from asking advice, but really, it's your life. I am the type of person who could never feel settled anywhere and moved all over the northeast when I was younger. I have found Buffalo to be a place where I feel at home. Nothing is perfect, but this feels like where I belong.

Others desire other things. Winter can be tough, like anywhere in the northeast. Some people need the beaches, the hot weather, and the sun. Some have to have the bigger better deal, and that's OK. Some people like to live in a log cabin in the mountains....

I'll paraphrase John Adams: All the world may applaud your choices and decisions, but if they are not based on what is in your heart, all the applause in the world will ring empty.

Perfect, smiled all the way though....and now I really want to move back....

That's a beautiful fantasy, and your post is filled with wonderful sentiment. I was excited to move back. Unfortunately, in the more than 10 years since I've returned - way longer than I ever thought I'd stay - the more things change, the more they stay the same. I love the city - or want to - which is why it is so damned frustrating to witness what goes on here.

I remember fighting hard along with Scott Fischer and his group to preserve the Erie Canal remains. Anyone remember the Empire State Development Corp.'s argument that the rocks would 'explode' if unearthed and exposed to the elements - the same 200 million year old limestone that you see exposed along the Kensington Expressway? We won that one, but it's taken almost 10 years to see the tiniest bit of progress on the waterfront. [Edit that - it's taken well over 30 years since the Erie Basin Marina, Rivermist townhouses, Naval Park, and Crawdaddy's restaurant went up for anything else to happen on that prime real estate, and remember how long Crawdaddys' site stood vacant before the new Shanghai Red's restaurant replaced it.]

Know how long it took for the old Boston Garden to come down after they built the Fleet Center? Less than a year. HSBC Arena opened in 1996, and the Aud still hovers over some of downtown Buffalo's prime development sites. Even before I moved back, there was talk of a new Peace Bridge. Seems the Peace Bridge Authority will use any argument to get the exact bridge they want, no matter how intrusive or ugly (the latest one has to do with the bridge endangering some species of migratory birds), rather than using the opportunity to make an architectural statement with a true 'signature bridge' while restoring Front Park - the jewel of the Olmstead Park System - probably because too much graft has already changed hands. We had a perfect opportunity to rebuild Route 5 at grade level and open up access to the waterfront while at least making it possible to finally bring down the Skyway but, again, too much graft has already entered the pockets of Congressman Higgins and our other political crooks.

We begged the Senecas to put a casino downtown, then wouldn't sell them any of the sites they wanted. When they said, "Screw it!', and tried to build in Cheektowaga, Buffalo sued to make them build it downtown. The Senecas quietly bought up the land, put up a temporary facility, broke ground on a beautiful facility in an area that is nothing but urban blight, and a now a legal suit has been filed to shut it down! We sue to force them to build downtown, then we sue to make them stop. Is it any wonder why we look like retards to the outside business world?

I could just go on, and on, and on, and on...

Our motto should be, "Buffalo - what we don't fk up, we schitt on!"

Great post. You really hit the nail on the head. The lack of progress is frustrating as hell. In Atlanta, they talked about a new stadium. That was in the late 80's. By '92, the Falcons were playing there. No big deal. Same with Phillips arena and a million other projects that didn't get halted by some jackleg with political motivation.

I forgot to. mention something about my little fantasy with Buffalo finally being revitalized... I imagine a bunch of ex-Buffalonians returning, after seeing how it's done elsewhere, and B word-slapping WNY with a dose of reality and finally polishing the gem that Buffalo could be if old dickwads in power would just step aside.

I forgot to. mention something about my little fantasy with Buffalo finally being revitalized... I imagine a bunch of ex-Buffalonians returning, after seeing how it's done elsewhere, and B word-slapping WNY with a dose of reality and finally polishing the gem that Buffalo could be if old dickwads in power would just step aside.

we can only dream... that would be nice...