Move Back to Buffalo?

Has anyone on here ever left Buffalo after college and then moved back? Does it work? Do you find yourself wanting to turn around and leave again? I'm thinking of moving back there this fall, but I'm not sure if I can. Are there any single girls in their late 20's/early 30's? Whenever I go home, it seems that the city is mostly college kids and full-blown adults and not so many people in between. Biggest things luring me back are Bills season tickets, family and the food, but is that enough? Any peronal testimonies would be appreciated...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone on here ever left Buffalo after college and then moved back? Does it work? Do you find yourself wanting to turn around and leave again? I'm thinking of moving back there this fall, but I'm not sure if I can. Are there any single girls in their late 20's/early 30's? Whenever I go home, it seems that the city is mostly college kids and full-blown adults and not so many people in between. Biggest things luring me back are Bills season tickets, family and the food, but is that enough? Any peronal testimonies would be appreciated...

If you feel you want to be near your family, don't even hesitate. If you can get a good job there and you're with your family, you can't ask for much more than that. I'm in my late 20s and love WNY dearly, but I wouldn't ever move back.

If you have the means, and you want to, do it. I moved away in 2001. Someday I'll be back.

I know PLENTY of people who have moved away and then moved backed. Buffalo is a great place to live, but I think it is important to get away for a while and experience life away from WNY.

I can't tell you what to do but if you choose to move back make sure it is what you really want. I'm in the military and I really want to move back to Buffalo once I get done with my service but it depends mostly on the economy. I love my hometown and I wish it thrives but realistically it may need more help than it can be given. If you do move back good for you, I know so many who have left and have no intention of ever coming back. To answer your question the 23 to 33 age ranges of people are the ones to leave for employment/better opportunity. Good luck in finding them, this is the age range of people that Buffalo needs to stay or import to become a better city. If all of the 20 somethings continue leave after college the cycle will continue. Word to the wise make sure you have a stable job before you move back first, enjoy your family second. Good luck!

If you have the means, and you want to, do it. I moved away in 2001. Someday I'll be back.

I know PLENTY of people who have moved away and then moved backed. Buffalo is a great place to live, but I think it is important to get away for a while and experience life away from WNY.

Yeah, I say "someday" every year that goes by too. But when are you gonna actually pull the trigger?

I agree. For the first 15 years after my Marine Corp hitch, I kept coming back to WNY when construction jobs ended. Both our kids were born there as well. But after the 100 yr. old company I worked for in Dansville shut down -went to China-, we decided we'd had enough of the TOOOO long winters and headed for Florida. As many here are aware, our kids -and us for that matter- wore halloween costumes 3X too big, just to fit over winter parka's and the snow & cold runs through May. Now in TN, we get all 4 seasons with a very mild winter -a couple 'dustings' a year. Our collective heart is and always will be in WNY, but we opt to live in better climate. Ridiculous NYS taxes nothwithstanding, it's the weather that keeps us away.

Best wishes with your choice.

Yeah, I say "someday" every year that goes by too. But when are you gonna actually pull the trigger?

My situation is a bit different. I'm in my early 30s, I'm married, I own a house, and my wife is not from WNY. If I was single, which I am happy I am not, I would move back. When and if you start your own family, you'll want your family around.

I agree. For the first 15 years after my Marine Corp hitch, I kept coming back to WNY when construction jobs ended. Both our kids were born there as well. But after the 100 yr. old company I worked for in Dansville shut down -went to China-, we decided we'd had enough of the TOOOO long winters and headed for Florida. As many here are aware, our kids -and us for that matter- wore halloween costumes 3X too big, just to fit over winter parka's and the snow & cold runs through May. Now in TN, we get all 4 seasons with a very mild winter -a couple 'dustings' a year. Our collective heart is and always will be in WNY, but we opt to live in better climate. Ridiculous NYS taxes nothwithstanding, it's the weather that keeps us away.

Best wishes with your choice.

:devil: I couldn't have put it better myself.

Me too. And I now live in Boston. Grass is not greener; just more expensive.

Doesn't this belong in the marijuana thread?

---

Metzelaars,

It sounds like if you have work lined up and your family is staying there the decision should be easy. The dearth of 20-somethings will make it easier for the right woman (women?) to find you.

Anyway, good luck making your choice.

Lived in DC for 4 years, Boston for 7, San Francisco for 7, then moved back to BuffTown to be closer to aging parents. When I visit Boston, I'm amazed at how things change, move forward, progress, etc. After the Big Dig, it's a whole new city. OTOH, what I noticed about Buffalo is, returning after an 18-year absence, how little has changed. Sure, we've demolished a few more historically significant structures to make room for more surface parking lots, but otherwise it's pretty much the same as it was when I commuted downtown from Lancaster to attend Canisius High School - except that all the downtown buildings that used to house retail stores are now vacant.

There's good reason why housing is so affordable here. Like the Bills, this city will break your heart. Stay away.

Lived in DC for 4 years, Boston for 7, San Francisco for 7, then moved back to BuffTown to be closer to aging parents. When I visit Boston, I'm amazed at how things change, move forward, progress, etc. After the Big Dig, it's a whole new city. OTOH, what I noticed about Buffalo is, returning after an 18-year absence, how little has changed. Sure, we've demolished a few more historically significant structures to make room for more surface parking lots, but otherwise it's pretty much the same as it was when I commuted downtown from Lancaster to attend Canisius High School - except that all the downtown buildings that used to house retail stores are now vacant.

There's good reason why housing is so affordable here. Like the Bills, this city will break your heart. Stay away.

Sad .... just sad

I've lived in WNY; CNY; Cincinnati, OH; Hamilton, ON; Knoxville, TN; Toledo, OH; LA; Dallas; Chicago; and Nashville, TN. Of this list Nashville, Cincy and Toledo are the only places I would never go back to - my wife and I hated Nashville it just plain sucked. (Cincy I could live there if I had to but would never stay there - Toledo was just an armpit of a city) WNY is an emotional tugger for me but I doubt I would ever live back there. Absolutely will not if the Bills leave.

i graduated from canisius high school in '03 and left for san diego state. i honostly love buffalo. my family. the food. the people. i know my family and pretty much everyone else who lives there gets tired of hearing people make fun of the weather, but try living in the south or out west. Trust me, you'll never wanna go back to 6 month long winters. i do not plan on moving back there anytime soon. The only times i come back are thanksgiving, xmas and usually a summer visit.

Anybody can come back to Bflo IF they are independently wealthy and do not have to worry about employment.

It is a huge disappointment that I can't move back. There are few decent jobs in Bflo.

On my last visit I was at a red light on Main & Transit. I looked around at the other cars, and EACH ONE had a gray haired person in it.

I will watch Bflo with keen interest over the next ten years. When the gray hairs depart this earth... what will become of Bflo? Detroit? Or, something better?

I could ramble forever on this... but that would be better for PPP board.

I lived here for the first 25 years of my life and thought I needed a change. I moved to Vegas for 2 years. Became a bar manager and absolutely loved it there. The problem is every time I would come home to visit (about 2-3 times a year) I would want to stay in Buffalo more and more. Until the last time I came back to visit I sat on a bench in the airport and contemplated getting on the plane to go back to Vegas. The day after I got back to Vegas I put in a request to be transfered back to Buffalo and started making the plans to move back. I was looking for a house when I was there and its a good thing I didnt pay $300K on a 1300sq. ft. home when I was there. I would have been rocked financially and with the economy and the housing market there I would be in big trouble now. Anyway, I moved back because I missed the City, my freinds, my family, the area in general. I never planned on staying in Vegas for the rest of my life, I just didnt plan on coming back so soon. The first few weeks after I got back I ordered my season tickets with 7 of my best freinds and that alone is worth coming back to me. You will do what your heart tells you and it will be the right decision.

Good Luck

I always think about moving back. I keep looking at affordable houses and think I could do it. I'm self-employed and do my work online so I could take my business anywhere. Of course If I go it will be without the wife. She's not from there and somehow fails to appreciate the charms of the ol' town. The one pitfall of moving back is my alcohol consumption would likely skyrocket.

PTR

My wife and I and our 2 year old live in Denver and we are thinking about a return to WNY as well. Denver is a great place to live, but my family is still on Grand Island. Cost of living out here keeps us out of the better neighborhoods and I would like to raise my daughter in more of a community feel. I go back and forth wondering if I'm crazy to consider moving back or if it is the best thing for my family (better schools in WNY and I think overall nicer people).

I have not lived in Buffalo for 37 years, and always wonder about moving back.

I lived in the Lakeview area, and I have such fond memories growing up there,

and most of the better ones involve snow. But just like everyone else, my tolerance

level for the Cold isn't what it used to be. That being said, I think that the weather thing

is very negatively overrated. It is cold and snowy in just about every other Notheastern city

in the US through the Winter months, maybe not quite as cold and snowy as Bfllo, but really

not much different.

The economic thing is the killer one for the city, that is the one that needs addressed more than anything else.