Move Back to Buffalo?

Sorry D&C, but this is just silly and adds to the percieved fobias of WNYer's 'us against the world' menatlity. Virtually all of us here are from the area and we all know sunglasses are a rarely used accessory to our wardrobe. When Spring finally arrives, we all walk around like moles rubbing and sheilding our eyes from that rare, terrible floodlight disturbance in the sky. I'm in daily contact with family & friends there and a quick check of the area's current weather shows it's in the freakin' 40's there every morning! 40's!! In late June! Back in '95, there were 11 straight weekends of rain from late June into August, effectively wiping out the entire year! We moved to Fla the next Spring. We're all from there. We love it there. But the weather SUCKS!

No problem from me about your objections to my post as behind my post is not simply my own fact-free opinions but there is objective evidence based on science and third party testimony and actions.

The link below is to a promo article about the 2009 conference of the American Solar Energy Society which held its annual meeting this year here in Buffalo. The promo article which I have handy says they expected between 3500 and 5000 attendees and the word I heard was that well over 5000 folks showed up buttressed by a free-day that Buffalo organizers insisted upon. In addition to the folks who laid out about $1000 bucks for almost a week of conferencing and interacting the event drew wide participation from the local community which sees solar as a quite viable way to get power without paying a check out everyday to the power company.

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/editori...ory/641312.html

The next link is to the website of a collegiate competition called Solar Splash which brings together 40-50 colleges from around the world to compete using canoe sized boats with engines powered by solar voltaic collectors. Historically, the Solar Splash event had been traded between different host colleges and cities in Sunbelt cities such as New Orleans, Atlanta, and in Florida. However in the early part of this decade they were attracted to Buffalo because amongst other validations the US Weather Service showed them the numbers that Buffalo actually had more sunlight on the summer solstice that most of the places where historically they had held the event.

They came to Buffalo for the sunshine but then stayed for the people as they held the Solar Splash event in Buffalo a then unprecedented 4 times in a row as the site not only offered sunshine, but great hospitality from the good folks here in Buffalo.

I understand that you reacted poorly to the weather here, but how one reacts to it is dictated by and says more about an individual. The actual facts are that for 4-5 months out of the year more sunlight simply gets down to ground where we human beings are warmed by it.

Again, my experience having grown up in the Windy City is simply that the weather here in Buffalo is more pleasant and enjoyable overall than the weather I grew up with.

http://www.solarsplash.com/index.php

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem from me about your objections to my post as behind my post is not simply my own fact-free opinions but there is objective evidence based on science and third party testimony and actions.

The link below is to a promo article about the 2009 conference of the American Solar Energy Society which held its annual meeting this year here in Buffalo. The promo article which I have handy says they expected between 3500 and 5000 attendees and the word I heard was that well over 5000 folks showed up buttressed by a free-day that Buffalo organizers insisted upon. In addition to the folks who laid out about $1000 bucks for almost a week of conferencing and interacting the event drew wide participation from the local community which sees solar as a quite viable way to get power without paying a check out everyday to the power company.

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/editori...ory/641312.html

The next link is to the website of a collegiate competition called Solar Splash which brings together 40-50 colleges from around the world to compete using canoe sized boats with engines powered by solar voltaic collectors. Historically, the Solar Splash event had been traded between different host colleges and cities in Sunbelt cities such as New Orleans, Atlanta, and in Florida. However in the early part of this decade they were attracted to Buffalo because amongst other validations the US Weather Service showed them the numbers that Buffalo actually had more sunlight on the summer solstice that most of the places where historically they had held the event.

They came to Buffalo for the sunshine but then stayed for the people as they held the Solar Splash event in Buffalo a then unprecedented 4 times in a row as the site not only offered sunshine, but great hospitality from the good folks here in Buffalo.

I understand that you reacted poorly to the weather here, but how one reacts to it is dictated by and says more about an individual. The actual facts are that for 4-5 months out of the year more sunlight simply gets down to ground where we human beings are warmed by it.

Again, my experience having grown up in the Windy City is simply that the weather here in Buffalo is more pleasant and enjoyable overall than the weather I grew up with.

http://www.solarsplash.com/index.php

I will further this point by stating the buffalo news has a part in their weather section that shows sunny(they measure this by at least 50% sunshine as a sunny day). Year to date Buffalo has 78 sunny days & Orlando has 77.

Like I said the weather is not great here but it tends to get overexaggerated how bad our weather is. Yesterday was the first day I could remember that it really rained hard here since very early spring. I have not been rained out on golf any saturday since I started playing in mid march. I just reading about the US Open @ bethpage & it said that it has rained there 30 out of the last 43 days. Noone ever says that NYC weather stinks though. It rains a ton more there then here from the months of April thru October.

Buffalo is an outstanding, great, great town.

Sadly, weather and dearth of jobs keep most away. If you are not a university professor...

I have never understood where the economic engine in Buffalo is.

But in terms of people, and natural beauty Buffalo is unparreleled in the USA.

Wish I could live there again.

Gone since 1986, back every year for a couple days, very sentimental.

I agree, here is a shot of Depew. Absolutely unparalleled...

http://www.nadula.info/images/Wallpapers/N...,%20Wyoming.jpg

Metz,

That is beautiful!

But do you want to live there every day of the year? I had a similar experience moving to the Adirondacks: beautiful, lots of outdoor stuff to do, but it gets boring after a while if you are used to being around a bigger city. Then winter hits and believe me when I tell you that unless you ski every day you will be bored out of your mind.

I am not from Buffalo originally but I love living there. Everyone I have had come visit from other cities has found it to be a surprisingly fun and welcoming place with a lot more to offer than they suspected. There is a surprising amount of culture and arts, and a real sense of community.

To each their own I guess. The biggest mistake people make is moving from city to city in search of happiness, not realizing that you make your own happiness in life.

According to the Weather Channel or Weather.com Buffalo has 54 Clear days per YEAR! 103 Partly Cloudy and 208 Cloudy. By the way - that's the 20-year average.

I go crazy when the insecure and and thin-skinned Buffalonians feel the desparate need to defend the weather and try and tell those of us who FEEL that the weather is cold, gray & snowy that we are crazy and that Buffalo is actually sunnier than Florida. Sterotypes can sometimes be cruel, but they are always based on some truth. The weather in Buffalo in the summer is better that the weather in Florida any any other time of the year. But as a whole, Florida's weather is far superior to Buffaol's.

Weather is what it is - we have no control over it! We must make the most of it.

Here's a little more info from Weather.com:

City Clear Days Partly Cloudy Cloudy

Orlando 90 147 128

Miami 75 175 115

Charlotte 111 103 151

Winston-Salem 109 107 149

Raleigh 111 106 149

Buffalo 54 103 208

According to the Weather Channel or Weather.com Buffalo has 54 Clear days per YEAR! 103 Partly Cloudy and 208 Cloudy. By the way - that's the 20-year average.

I go crazy when the insecure and and thin-skinned Buffalonians feel the desparate need to defend the weather and try and tell those of us who FEEL that the weather is cold, gray & snowy that we are crazy and that Buffalo is actually sunnier than Florida. Sterotypes can sometimes be cruel, but they are always based on some truth. The weather in Buffalo in the summer is better that the weather in Florida any any other time of the year. But as a whole, Florida's weather is far superior to Buffaol's.

Weather is what it is - we have no control over it! We must make the most of it.

Orlando 90 147 128

Miami 75 175 115

Charlotte 111 103 151

Raleigh 111 106 149

Buffalo 54 103 208

You must have a lot of time on your hands to seek out and search for such meaningless information

Orlando 90 147 128

Miami 75 175 115

Charlotte 111 103 151

Raleigh 111 106 149

Buffalo 54 103 208

That is interesting, I was just going by the Buffalo News today. I do not think anyone that lives in WNY would ever say that Buffalo has nicer weather then Florida. That is crazy, what I do think people get upset with is the exagerations that are made about our weather. It is not as bad as people make it out to be. I will tend to agree with the sunny days because even when the sun is out here there are usually clouds.

Guest dog14787

I can't honestly say I really know what its like to live in Buffalo because I was only three when we moved away. I have allot of cousins, Aunts and Uncles in and around Buffalo, most of them in Hamburg or Orchard Park area so I have spent some time there and I like the no nonsense and down to earth nature of the Folks that live in and around Buffalo. Its a gruff, tell it like it is world and to me its refreshing and there's no other place like it.

So after living on the Gulf Coast, West Coast and many places in between I'm happy to be living in the North again and just 100 miles west of my favorite City and the place were I was born, Buffalo, NY

Yes, I do hope to hang my hat in my home town again one day so moving back to Buffalo is on my mind.

That is interesting, I was just going by the Buffalo News today. I do not think anyone that lives in WNY would ever say that Buffalo has nicer weather then Florida. That is crazy, what I do think people get upset with is the exagerations that are made about our weather. It is not as bad as people make it out to be. I will tend to agree with the sunny days because even when the sun is out here there are usually clouds.

I agree 100%. I don't think anyone stated the weather is better than Florida. Just not as bad as the overall countries perception of it. I visit family in Tampa regularly and I could never live in Florida. I can handle the cold, but can't stand the heat and humidity. I pretty much do indoor activities December-February here, and it would be indoor activities July-September in Florida. But that's just me, I am miserable when hot. As someone stated earlier to each his own...

It’s all a matter or perspective…..winter is what you make of it. If you like to ice fish, ski and snowmobile then Buffalo is a great, great place to live.

Not even that, it's more of if you don't mind the cold. I don't do any of those activities and I love the area. The only thing that would drive me out of here is the taxes and unfortunately with Patterson taxing absolutely everything possibe, I have been thinking about it more than ever...

I will further this point by stating the buffalo news has a part in their weather section that shows sunny(they measure this by at least 50% sunshine as a sunny day). Year to date Buffalo has 78 sunny days & Orlando has 77.

Like I said the weather is not great here but it tends to get overexaggerated how bad our weather is. Yesterday was the first day I could remember that it really rained hard here since very early spring. I have not been rained out on golf any saturday since I started playing in mid march. I just reading about the US Open @ bethpage & it said that it has rained there 30 out of the last 43 days. Noone ever says that NYC weather stinks though. It rains a ton more there then here from the months of April thru October.

C'mon, guys.. Why would Buffalo area media go to the trouble of extrapolating out a creative equation of sunlight differentials to inform their flock of their comparable weather to a sterling city from the Sunshine State? Because they -as you- know WNY is considered the pre-eminent national dearth of nice weather. Fair or not, 'Buffalo' is likely the most answered name when Americans are asked which city has the worst weather. Certainly, the Rust Belt, incredible taxes and outrageous heating bills add a gray pall to the overall perception but -as has been stated by many here- gloomy skies over WNY are not a ruse. As for NYC, it's usually 10-15 precious degrees warmer there all year round. Same state, entirely different weather patterns.

I understand that you reacted poorly to the weather here, but how one reacts to it is dictated by and says more about an individual. Guilty! Given a choice of an 8 month winter or a 2 month winter, I'm definately a Fair-Weather-FAN! The actual facts are that for 4-5 months out of the year more sunlight simply gets down to ground where we human beings are warmed by it. OK, but there are 12 months in a year, meaning 7-8 months of -um- poor planting weather..

It's the port of my birth and I defend her whenever I have an audience. However, if I could have a choice of my job being there or where I am now, I'd stay here and visit there.

Hey - i was born up there in Hamburg - lived there for about 8 years. I have family in hamburg - on linwood ave. and i have family in west seneca out near houghton - I moved down to miami and have been down here for 20 years. Buffalo still pumps through my veins. I get up there about once a year. I will always consider Buffalo home. The food, the family even the pace of life. The moment my transfer is approved - ill be back there for sure

C'mon, guys.. Why would Buffalo area media go to the trouble of extrapolating out a creative equation of sunlight differentials to inform their flock of their comparable weather to a sterling city from the Sunshine State? Because they -as you- know WNY is considered the pre-eminent national dearth of nice weather. Fair or not, 'Buffalo' is likely the most answered name when Americans are asked which city has the worst weather. Certainly, the Rust Belt, incredible taxes and outrageous heating bills add a gray pall to the overall perception but -as has been stated by many here- gloomy skies over WNY are not a ruse. As for NYC, it's usually 10-15 precious degrees warmer there all year round. Same state, entirely different weather patterns.

I understand that you reacted poorly to the weather here, but how one reacts to it is dictated by and says more about an individual. Guilty! Given a choice of an 8 month winter or a 2 month winter, I'm definately a Fair-Weather-FAN! The actual facts are that for 4-5 months out of the year more sunlight simply gets down to ground where we human beings are warmed by it. OK, but there are 12 months in a year, meaning 7-8 months of -um- poor planting weather..

It's the port of my birth and I defend her whenever I have an audience. However, if I could have a choice of my job being there or where I am now, I'd stay here and visit there.

See this is the kind of post that aggravates Buffalonians & it is the reason we have thin skin when the rest of the country makes fun of our weather. We do not have the worst weather in the country & we certainly do not have an 8 month winter.

BTW, just checked weather channel,

Averages for Buffalo 31/18 for Jan, 33/19 for feb, 42/26 for march, 54/36 for april, 66/48 for may, 75/60 for june, 80/64 for july, 78/60 for august, 70/55 for september, 59/53 for octber, 47/43 for nov & 38/24 for december

Averages for NYC - 36/23 for jan, 40/28 for Feb, 48/32 for march, 58/42 for april, 68/53 for may, 77/63 for june, 83/68 for july, 81/66 for aug, 74/58 for sep, 63/58 for oct, 52/47 for nov & 42/28 for december.

That sure does not look like a 15 degree difference to me.

Thanks for proving my point about how people exxagerate about how bad the weather is in Buffalo.

See this is the kind of post that aggravates Buffalonians & it is the reason we have thin skin when the rest of the country makes fun of our weather. We do not have the worst weather in the country & we certainly do not have an 8 month winter.

Averages for Buffalo 31/18 for Jan, 33/19 for feb, 42/26 for march, 54/36 for april, 66/48 for may, 75/60 for june, 80/64 for july, 78/60 for august, 70/55 for september, 59/53 for octber, 47/43 for nov & 38/24 for december

Averages for NYC - 36/23 for jan, 40/28 for Feb, 48/32 for march, 58/42 for april, 68/53 for may, 77/63 for june, 83/68 for july, 81/66 for aug, 74/58 for sep, 63/58 for oct, 52/47 for nov & 42/28 for december.

Thanks for proving my point about how people exxagerate about how bad the weather is in Buffalo.

I agree with you, but that's why we should just ignore those posts and let them have their say, no matter how wrong they are. They get off on the responses and are never ever wrong. Even throwing facts into the mix will still not get them to admit they were wrong. Those are the types we hope never move back to Buffalo, because all they would do is B word.

I agree with you, but that's why we should just ignore those posts and let them have their say, no matter how wrong they are. They get off on the responses and are never ever wrong. Even throwing facts into the mix will still not get them to admit they were wrong. Those are the types we hope never move back to Buffalo, because all they would do is B word.

As a former boss of mine used to say:

For some people complaining is like breathing. They must do it to live. (I add) It is an involuntary action on their part because they can't hold their breath / complaining for long.

Agree, I do not know why I try. You will just never convince some people(even some people that used to live here) that we do not have 8 months of winter, we do not get snow in May, the lake does not unfreeze sometime in June & the only nice day of the year around here weatherwise is the 4th of July. It is funny, it is okay to make fun of buffalo & WNY because people feel entitled because they once lived here, but make fun of other poster's current hometown & the same people that say Buffalonians have thin skin get really defensive.

Why do you care what people think of Buffalo? These are people who have never been there and people you do not know or will ever meet. This is why I pick on my sister-in-law when I get on her about the weather. Her reactions are priceless. Like another poster stated, you can't control the weather. When I tell people I used to live in Buffalo they have the typical reaction. I just go along and tell them it snows in August and the summer is 2 weeks in July. Who cares??

I lived in the Adirondacks for a few winters... Buffalo does not seem cold to me at all in the winter...

They close city schools when the wind chill gets below zero! LOL

Up there, the actual TEMPERATURE without the wind chill would be -10 or so on a fairly normal basis, and sometimes we would see a week at a time where it stayed below zero for a high and get down to -20 or so at night, without the wind chills, which would make it feel like -50.

Snow can be fun. Bitter cold is never fun.