Anybody on here workout?

Peevo

This topic is slightly gay simply because talking about working out is slightly gay. However I've been on a program for about 60 days, and seeing some modest/moderate results.

I do not however supplement exercise with any sort of protein supplements/dietary treatments. A lot of guys I talk to basically say adding lean protein as much as possible increases muscle development. This all seems pretty obvious. But I'm just putting a feeler out there for anyone who would have any suggestions as to what to use.

I'm a smaller guy, 5'9" 157. So I'm never gonna get super jacked, its kinda against my physiology. But I still wanna see results and cut the muscles I have better.

Muscle Milk Lite I hear is very beneficial, and less fattening. Some guys use different kinds of Whey Protein, some with Creatine, others without. Any recommendations?

i started working out about 3 years ago. i was 5'9" and about 165. I started taking weight gainer 2200 from GNC along with myoplex protien shakes. within 6 months i had put on about 20 lbs of muscle and havent looked back since. now a days a lay off the weight gainer and go with the myoplex lite protein shakes. you can get them from gnc, and nutrition warehouse. vitamin world selection is kinda crappy.

This topic is slightly gay simply because talking about working out is slightly gay. However I've been on a program for about 60 days, and seeing some modest/moderate results.

posting that Adam Lambert admits he's gay is gay, this topic.....not so much.

I do not however supplement exercise with any sort of protein supplements/dietary treatments. A lot of guys I talk to basically say adding lean protein as much as possible increases muscle development. This all seems pretty obvious. But I'm just putting a feeler out there for anyone who would have any suggestions as to what to use.

I'm a smaller guy, 5'9" 157. So I'm never gonna get super jacked, its kinda against my physiology. But I still wanna see results and cut the muscles I have better.

Muscle Milk Lite I hear is very beneficial, and less fattening. Some guys use different kinds of Whey Protein, some with Creatine, others without. Any recommendations?

It's basically a balancing act. I'm not a big fan of supplementation because the stuff isn't regulated. Recently there was a big recall of Hydroxycut, which is a thermogenic product that burns fat. Apparently it also destroys your liver. Call me crazy for not buying the hype and keeping my liver.

If you want to gain muscle make sure your daily intake is AT LEAST 1-1.5 grams of lean protein per pound of body weight. Since you're bulking, you need carbs as fuel so make sure you're close to the same range. Limit fat to less than 20% of your overall caloric intake.

We are omnivores, not obligate carnivores. Our liver and kidneys have lesser ability to handle nitrogenous wastes.

There have been predictions about renal problems down the road with things like the Atkins diet. Be careful about ramping up protein intake.

We are omnivores, not obligate carnivores. Our liver and kidneys have lesser ability to handle nitrogenous wastes.

There have been predictions about renal problems down the road with things like the Atkins diet. Be careful about ramping up protein intake.

I can vouch about your kidneys on Atkins. I lost weight but it felt like someone took a baseball bat to my kidneys. Took over a year off the diet to get over it. Luckily no permanent damage.

PTR

This topic is definitely NOT gay.

I workout with two primary goals - cardio to keep my weight & cholesterol down and strength training to just keep my body in shape. I have been working out for the last 3 years and before that I defined the word lazy.

In this time, I have lost about 4 inches off my waist and about 10-14 pounds (less fat and more muscle which is denser so net weight loss is not very significant). Toughest area for me is the gut as I still don't have the flat tummy I am looking for. But I am far far away from where I was before in a good way.

As for supplements, I take a 100% whey protein shake on the days I do strength training. Perhaps it is not enough, but have increased chicken and egg white consumption slightly compared to before. If you do lot of cardio (I do about 3 and half hours on elliptical every week), I suggest adding calcium also to keep the joints problem free.

Do what works for you and don't force yourself into something people say 'must be done'. The key is to be consistent and intense to the point that you are sweating/panting/sore by the time you leave the gym. Set weekly targets for yourself which are moderate and meet/exceed them no matter what. It is amazing how much you can get done while still keeping up with your daily obligations. Over time, you will figure out how much you can handle on a weekly basis. Again, keep at it. Meet your targets, say Sunday -Saturday and repeat and repeat ....

Good luck and don't give up - after a while working out becomes a part of your life you cannot do without.

It's basically a balancing act. I'm not a big fan of supplementation because the stuff isn't regulated. Recently there was a big recall of Hydroxycut, which is a thermogenic product that burns fat. Apparently it also destroys your liver. Call me crazy for not buying the hype and keeping my liver.

Who really needs their liver? There's nothing wrong with a good yellow glow.

First off you have to define your goals......then supplement and diet according to what you want to accomplish. If you are trying to get bigger you need to eat at least one gram of protein for every pound of body weight daily. I love Muscle Milk light because it taste great in addition to being low on calories. If you don't care as much for taste ABB makes ready to drink protein shakes that are 50grams of Protein and only 250 calories and are absolutely loaded with Vitamins. They don't taste horrible by any means but def. aren't as good at Muscle Milk light. I'll tell you what has worked best for me and what I take, I'm not huge either because in addition to lifting I'm also a big runner. Protein is just part of it, I also would reccomend taking an amino acid supplement....Protein is the building block for muscle but amino acids are the engine that drive the car. I'm 6ft 170lbs but I just recently reached my goal of doubling my body weight on bench and got 340lbs twice about a week ago.

I take

Before Workout (half an hour before)

2-3 scoops BSN NO Explode

After workout

1 scoop BSN Cell-Mass for 12 week cycle

during 6 week off cycle 10 grams of L-Glutamine

Throughout the day

I eat 6 meals (including protein shakes) and make sure I get 170-200 grams of protein a day

GNC amino blast 2 times a day (morning and night)

Multi Vitamin 2 times a day (morning and night)

Fish and Flax Oil 2 times a day (morning and night)

I eat a ton of fiber and veggies as well as a lot of fish and chicken, even a lot of lean beef and pork. (Beef gets a bad rap, its actually an awesome muscle builder).

As far as your workouts go it all depends on what works for you. I know I'm an over-trainer, I just love to workout (don't care about how I look, too me its just a great stress reliever). You could pay for a trainer but they are overpriced IMO and with a little research and through a little trial and error (ask if you don't know, be safe) you'll be fine.

Whatever you do don't buy Supplements at a store, buy them online and save a ton of money. I buy all mine here.....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/index.html

Good Luck! And in my experience Discipline and proper nutrition is much more important then the actual working out part, although its important as well.

can someone please give me the secret to motivating yourself to get my a$$ out of the house and to the gym on a regular basis?????? that is by far my biggest problem.... :censored:

I workout with two primary goals - cardio to keep my weight & cholesterol down and strength training to just keep my body in shape. I have been working out for the last 3 years and before that I defined the word lazy.

In this time, I have lost about 4 inches off my waist and about 10-14 pounds (less fat and more muscle which is denser so net weight loss is not very significant). Toughest area for me is the gut as I still don't have the flat tummy I am looking for. But I am far far away from where I was before in a good way.

As for supplements, I take a 100% whey protein shake on the days I do strength training. Perhaps it is not enough, but have increased chicken and egg white consumption slightly compared to before. If you do lot of cardio (I do about 3 and half hours on elliptical every week), I suggest adding calcium also to keep the joints problem free.

Do what works for you and don't force yourself into something people say 'must be done'. The key is to be consistent and intense to the point that you are sweating/panting/sore by the time you leave the gym. Set weekly targets for yourself which are moderate and meet/exceed them no matter what. It is amazing how much you can get done while still keeping up with your daily obligations. Over time, you will figure out how much you can handle on a weekly basis. Again, keep at it. Meet your targets, say Sunday -Saturday and repeat and repeat ....

Good luck and don't give up - after a while working out becomes a part of your life you cannot do without.

can someone please give me the secret to motivating yourself to get my a$$ out of the house and to the gym on a regular basis?????? that is by far my biggest problem.... :censored:

Think about your wife/girlfriend leaving you for a better looking guy because you got too fat and ugly while she still looks good.

That work?

Think about your wife/girlfriend leaving you for a better looking guy because you got too fat and ugly while she still looks good.

That work?

Are you kidding......absolutely not :censored:

Pooj,

If you can convince yourself to go consistently for a month.....then you'll hate not going.

I dont take any supplements except for some caffiene to get me going before hand and a recovery drink after....

but....Im old....and have onset diabetes that now limits me.

My son however is an athlete, takes plenty of supplements and works out like a mad man.....and I did a lot of his research.

Too bad there is no supplement to grow better decisions and more brains......I would definately keep a supply of that in the house...:censored:

3/4's of that happened...well she didn't leave me for a better looking guy.....I will let you figure out the 1/4 that didn't happen

That work?

Try buying some basic equipment and working out at home. For me,it works out a lot better. I can more easily fit my workouts into my schedule,I listen/watch whatever I feel like as loud as I want, and I don't have to wait for equipment or wipe someone elses sweat off it. I started working out at home over 20 years ago and now my garage is a fully eqipped gym. Start with a simple piece of cardio equipment,a basic weight bench and a 110 pound set of iron weights. That's enough to get you started and will cost less than 500 bucks new,even cheaper if you pick it up used.

Great question, actually. What got me moving was my doctor saying that I need to go on maintenance medication to get my triglycerides down - at age 39. That drove me nuts and I decided to take a 3 month membership. Never looked back and gradually increased from 3 days/week to 5 days/week.

Whatever gets you motivated to start is great. I agree with Stl Bills - once you get over that initial hump, you will cruise. Tackle any potential mental excuses early on so they don't bother you in the long run. Remember, this is not a 1 week or 1 month deal - this is how you will want to lead the rest of your life.

I used to think I am too tired to workout in the evenings after dinner. That turned out to be a BS excuse. I usually go between 8-8:30 pm and sometimes finish when they close at 10 pm. No tiredness, no nothing. If you are a morning person (which I am most definitely not), then workout in the morning before going to work. If late evenings is not possible, go to gym first before going home. There is not set prescription or timing - I emphasize do what works for you.

i have a gym membership since november, i have just been terribly inconsistent in going, plus I have no one to go with, and the equipment seems overwhelming at times and not sure what machines i should be using to get desired results.....lose fat and weight, and get some tone

Try buying some basic equipment and working out at home. For me,it works out a lot better. I can more easily fit my workouts into my schedule,I listen/watch whatever I feel like as loud as I want, and I don't have to wait for equipment or wipe someone elses sweat off it. I started working out at home over 20 years ago and now my garage is a fully eqipped gym. Start with a simple piece of cardio equipment,a basic weight bench and a 110 pound set of iron weights. That's enough to get you started and will cost less than 500 bucks new,even cheaper if you pick it up used.

i started working out about 3 years ago. i was 5'9" and about 165. I started taking weight gainer 2200 from GNC along with myoplex protien shakes. within 6 months i had put on about 20 lbs of muscle and havent looked back since. now a days a lay off the weight gainer and go with the myoplex lite protein shakes. you can get them from gnc, and nutrition warehouse. vitamin world selection is kinda crappy.

you gained 20 lbs of muscle in 6 months? really?

Great question, actually. What got me moving was my doctor saying that I need to go on maintenance medication to get my triglycerides down - at age 39. That drove me nuts and I decided to take a 3 month membership. Never looked back and gradually increased from 3 days/week to 5 days/week.

Whatever gets you motivated to start is great. I agree with Stl Bills - once you get over that initial hump, you will cruise. Tackle any potential mental excuses early on so they don't bother you in the long run. Remember, this is not a 1 week or 1 month deal - this is how you will want to lead the rest of your life.

I used to think I am too tired to workout in the evenings after dinner. That turned out to be a BS excuse. I usually go between 8-8:30 pm and sometimes finish when they close at 10 pm. No tiredness, no nothing. If you are a morning person (which I am most definitely not), then workout in the morning before going to work. If late evenings is not possible, go to gym first before going home. There is not set prescription or timing - I emphasize do what works for you.

I would think that a health scare like you mentioned would be the big one that inspires the so-called lazy ones to finally start going to a gym. I never fell into that category, but I knew I wasn't active enough, so I started going. Discounted rates through work helped too. One thing that definitely worked for me was finding a place either close to work or on the way home from work. Since it's on the way, it has become a part of my every day routine. If I was trying to go to a place close to home, I'm sure there would be plenty of days where I would say "screw it" and just head home instead.

That's impossible, it's something you have to figure out for yourself. It takes a complete lifestyle change, or you'll end up in the same shape you are now. I had no motivation from about 24-29 years old.

For me, it was a goal. I said I wanted to be in the best shape of my life when I turned 30. 2 months away from that date and I've already exceeded it. Now I never want to go back.

This topic is not gay. Referring to your abdomen as "tummy" on the other hand... :censored:

52 years old, been working out 5-10 times a week since the age of 12(yes, still do double sessions of cardio at least). A health teacher owned one of the gyms I belonged to, his advice on supplements was the best I've heard as well as the cheapest. Coffee or tea before you work out, caffeine works as well as an energy boost as any high dollared supplement. As far as getting motivated to work out if you are looking for a secret it just isn't going to happen. It is simply an unpleasant part of the day, kind of like getting out of bed at 5:30. Can't think about it, just have to do it. There's a reason its called working out, if it was fun it would be called drinking :censored:

If you want to gain muscle make sure your daily intake is AT LEAST 1-1.5 grams of lean protein per pound of body weight. Since you're bulking, you need carbs as fuel so make sure you're close to the same range. Limit fat to less than 20% of your overall caloric intake.

Ditto - excess protein is not only unnecessary, it is harmful. I am not going to put all of the links in here but there are plenty to look up - no more than 12-15% of your calories should be protein...the higher end if you are a professional athlete or in serious training. Excess protein can deprive an athlete of more efficient fuel and can lead to dehydration. High-protein diets increase the water requirement necessary to eliminate the nitrogen through the urine. I am doing some serious training right now for a triathlon and staying on top of my diet and can vouch for these recommendations as far as increasing & maintaining my muscle tone.

i have a gym membership since november, i have just been terribly inconsistent in going, plus I have no one to go with, and the equipment seems overwhelming at times and not sure what machines i should be using to get desired results.....lose fat and weight, and get some tone

Just think about the money you're spending and not going.

As for the other part, do they have trainers* available? Set up an appointment with one to show you how to use the equipment.

*Some gym trainers are just gym rats that volunteer their time for a discount.

Get a trainer for the first thee months. When your paying, you'll show up.

In terms of food, what do you eat?

Do you eat the exact same thing everyday?

First off you have to define your goals......then supplement and diet according to what you want to accomplish. If you are trying to get bigger you need to eat at least one gram of protein for every pound of body weight daily. I love Muscle Milk light because it taste great in addition to being low on calories. If you don't care as much for taste ABB makes ready to drink protein shakes that are 50grams of Protein and only 250 calories and are absolutely loaded with Vitamins. They don't taste horrible by any means but def. aren't as good at Muscle Milk light. I'll tell you what has worked best for me and what I take, I'm not huge either because in addition to lifting I'm also a big runner. Protein is just part of it, I also would reccomend taking an amino acid supplement....Protein is the building block for muscle but amino acids are the engine that drive the car. I'm 6ft 170lbs but I just recently reached my goal of doubling my body weight on bench and got 340lbs twice about a week ago.

I take

Before Workout (half an hour before)

2-3 scoops BSN NO Explode

After workout

1 scoop BSN Cell-Mass for 12 week cycle

during 6 week off cycle 10 grams of L-Glutamine

Throughout the day

I eat 6 meals (including protein shakes) and make sure I get 170-200 grams of protein a day

GNC amino blast 2 times a day (morning and night)

Multi Vitamin 2 times a day (morning and night)

Fish and Flax Oil 2 times a day (morning and night)

I eat a ton of fiber and veggies as well as a lot of fish and chicken, even a lot of lean beef and pork. (Beef gets a bad rap, its actually an awesome muscle builder).

As far as your workouts go it all depends on what works for you. I know I'm an over-trainer, I just love to workout (don't care about how I look, too me its just a great stress reliever). You could pay for a trainer but they are overpriced IMO and with a little research and through a little trial and error (ask if you don't know, be safe) you'll be fine.

Whatever you do don't buy Supplements at a store, buy them online and save a ton of money. I buy all mine here.....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/index.html

Good Luck! And in my experience Discipline and proper nutrition is much more important then the actual working out part, although its important as well.

Get a trainer for the first thee months. When your paying, you'll show up.

I have a couple of friends who went that route and got so burnt out by the trainers that they stopped going once the paid-up period was done. Like a diet, it has to be something that you can sustain forever.

i am by no means an expert but i literally posted this EXACT thread about 1-2 months ago and got some good feedback and advice.

i have been working out lightly for about a month or so around february to get my body going and start getting my muscles used to being stressed again, and in the past 3 months (march-may)of moderate lifting (anywhere from 2-4 times a week i like to go as often as i can)

i'm now 5'10 162 ish

in 3 months of moderate lifting i have gained about 2lbs total body mass, along the way i have gained about 5lbs of lean muscle (so that means i have lost 3lbs or so of fat ), i have lowered my body fat ratio to about 8.8 % and i have my BMR metabolism up to about 1950 calories (increase of about 100 calories) i feel much stronger and can put up more than when i started.

i am working now on increasing my frequency of workouts and for a longer duration, i am now trying to get up to 4 or 5x per week as my goal.

as far as supplements i am on about 3-4g of creatine (depending on how big of a scoop i take) before work out, and also taking protein in the late morning or early afternoon 1x daily, and then on work out days another serving after lifting. i am also making an effort to eat healthier and foods with more/better protein. and i drink a fair amount of coffee and caffeine intake

i think my next step if i get another supplement will be some type of amino acid (altough i am now on nitrotech and i think that has a bunch of aminos in it, i will have to double check)

i'm pretty happy with my gains so far and as long as i can stay focused and build on my gains in 3 more months i should even have more gains that what i have had to this point. my workouts are becoming more intense and longer and i feel they are becoming much more productive, so i am staying motivated.

I personally have no interest in putting unregulated supplements in my body - the most I will ever do is straightforward whey protein - and I even stopped doing that. If you don't want to be a body builder and just want to be healthier, (IMO) a healthy diet should take care of any needs your body has.

This should be required reading for people looking to supplements as magic potions

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...55395/index.htm

In terms of food, what do you eat?

Do you eat the exact same thing everyday?

No def. not, I just make sure I eat or take a shake about every two to three hours..... I eat a lot of fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, pork, oatmeal, veggies, fruit....etc. There's a lot you healthy variations you can make. Even when I'm really strict about getting toned up or dropping some excess fat from winter I still allow myself one "cheat meal" a week where I eat whatever I want. The key is to eat smaller portions more often to keep your metabolism up and running throughout the day, don't starve yourself just eat right. Like I said if I'm trying to build muscle though I'm making sure I eat about 150-200 grams of protein a day.

Pretty much anyone who's willing to put in the work and stick with a disciplined diet can add 20 pounds of lean muscle in half that time.

You are saying you can add 20lb of lean muscle in 3 months? He said 6 which I thought was pretty far out there but you mean to tell me you could add 30lbs of lean muscle in 3 months? Are you training at BALCO? It is pretty much impossible without some form of "aide".

You are saying you can add 20lb of lean muscle in 3 months? He said 6 which I thought was pretty far out there but you mean to tell me you could add 30lbs of lean muscle in 3 months? Are you training at BALCO? It is pretty much impossible without some form of "aide".

I could add 10 in three months no problem.

Hey everybody on this topic has been really helpful! Thanks a lot.

All in all, it seems the 1.0-1.5 grams/protein per pound of weight is a theme I've read many times over. This board and magazines/workout programs stress this as well. At 157 pounds, does that then mean I need to eat about 233 grams of lean protein a day?

I pretty much have to step up my chicken/turkey/tuna intake, as well as as whey or something. I have heard that ridiculous tuna consumption can lead to mercury poisoning (seriously), but you'd have to eat a LOT of it to really see any negative effects.

Basically, as some posters have made claims to motivation struggles, I've found a way to keep myself going to they gym about 5/6 times a week for about 3 months straight now. Only thing I can't keep disciplined is my nutrition, which is just as important. Its time to step it up.

Thanks again everybody!