Ten "worst" films ever

WWVaBeach

Worst major motion picture ever? Forrest Gump. What a meaningless piece of **** film that the mind-numb public devoured like starving pigs at the trough!

I could agree that Forrest Gump is among the most overrated movies, but overall worst? No fuggin' way. At the very least, it was well acted. On that merit alone, it can't possibly be the worst major motion picture.

My vote is for a recent one, Meet the Fockers. The worst part is that it's a franchise filled to the brim with good actors. I think they must have all gotten a collective brain aneurysm 5 minutes before accepting their roles once again.

any remake of a previous movie, tv show, or video game, and any sequel other then Godfather II, the Bourne, and Bond (guilty pleasures) movies. Hollywood has been putting out unoriginal, contrived, banal, crap for sometime. There has not been a compelling movie for me to want to see in a long time. Give me a book any time over that **** anytime

Absolutely disagree, Pete. Is there a lot of contrived crap? Absolutely. But if you're willing to do the legwork in terms of research, there's still a ton of good cinema out there.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never seen it. I don't watch TV (besides sports and PBS) and I watch almost exclusively documentaries and biographies on Netflix. TV and unoriginal crap movies bore me and I get nothing from them

Apparently classic movies bore you too....

I have never seen it. I don't watch TV (besides sports and PBS) and I watch almost exclusively documentaries and biographies on Netflix. TV and unoriginal crap movies bore me and I get nothing from them

It seems like every year some generic blockbuster type movie comes out, and shatters all previous box office records, and spawns about 2 or 3 sequals within 3 to 4 years. The last time I went to see a "blockbuster" movie was the Tim Burton "Planet of the Apes" "re-imagining", and it was bloody awful.

I know you are not likely to change your stance on tv, but I would argue that some of the great film-makers (writers, directors, etc) of our current times, are working in television, rather than films. The last great era of American films was in the 70's, pre-Star Wars. As time has passed, there are fewer and fewer opportunities to tell, full, adult stories in long-form film, because the financial risk is too high. So now, you see really fine actors and film-makers trying to find their niche in cable tv series, where they can tell extended, fully developed stories. Things like "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad", "The Sopranos" etc etc are really terrific.

Or movies like The Empire Strikes Back or The Dark Knight. There's plenty of great sequels out there.

I think you and chicot make his point by using 30 year old movies as examples of good sequels. Now clearly Pete is a little off the wall in his condemnation of all movies/TV and as a result has missed some great ones, but he's right about the lack of originality and quality found in the constant remakes and sequels (usually of movies that were mediocre or worse to begin with), which dominate the box-office because Hollywood wants sure-fire profits and knows that the American public is too dumb to expect anything better.

Yes there are still really good movies out there but they are few and far between. Sometimes they are well publicized and would be considered a 'major' picture (i.e., The King's Speech was outstanding), and others you need to look for (IMO, 'Win Win' was a recent star, and 'Slumdog Millionaire' was an example of a movie that only got big due to word of mouth).

Apparently classic movies bore you too....

How do you draw that conclusion? I love the classics. Give me Orson Wells, Fritz Lang, Charlie Chaplin, Alfred Hitchcock. Rod Serling and the brilliant Russian and German 20's films over the drivel put out by Hollywood today.

What film the past 10 years is original and must see? Wasteland and Exit Through the Gift Shop blow away any movie I have seen the past 15 years

How do you draw that conclusion? I love the classics. Give me Orson Wells, Fritz Lang, Charlie Chaplin, Alfred Hitchcock. Rod Serling and the brilliant Russian and German 20's films over the drivel put out by Hollywood today.

What film the past 10 years is original and must see? Wasteland and Exit Through the Gift Shop blow away any movie I have seen the past 15 years

No movie is 'must see', they're just movies. But original and excellent? There were a bunch. Obviously not everyone agrees on every movie, but the ones I liked included:

No Country for Old Men

Capote

Sideways

Inglorious Bastards

The Hurt Locker

Little Miss Sunshine

This Is England

The Royal Tenenbaums

Kill Bill Vol 2 (I didn't care for Vol 1 as much)

The Wrestler

The King's Speech

Avatar wins going away. Biggest pice of crap ever made. And no i never saw it. The previews were enough to make me want to pop in my girlfriend's copy of "The Notebook." I'm amazed at the sheer amount of money made by filming james cameron's @#$ hole for 2.5 hours.

It's a disgrace to the entire movie industry that his abortion is the top grossing film of all time.

Edited by Ramius

Avatar wins going away. Biggest pice of crap ever made. And no i never saw it. The previews were enough to make me want to pop in my girlfriend's copy of "The Notebook." I'm amazed at the sheer amount of money made by filming james cameron's @#$ hole for 2.5 hours.It's a disgrace to the entire movie industry that his abortion is the top grossing film of all time.

Its not bad. But like waterworld doesn't live up to the budget and hype.

I think you and chicot make his point by using 30 year old movies as examples of good sequels. Now clearly Pete is a little off the wall in his condemnation of all movies/TV and as a result has missed some great ones, but he's right about the lack of originality and quality found in the constant remakes and sequels (usually of movies that were mediocre or worse to begin with), which dominate the box-office because Hollywood wants sure-fire profits and knows that the American public is too dumb to expect anything better.

To be fair, the second movie I listed is only 3 years old. I think you definitely hit the nail on the head with one point though and I'm going to branch off of it a bit. There are two types of sequels: the ones that are made completely off of the success of the first movie and the one's that they intended to make right from the start. There's always going to be exceptions, but the latter tends to be a much better product.

No movie is 'must see', they're just movies. But original and excellent? There were a bunch. Obviously not everyone agrees on every movie, but the ones I liked included:

No Country for Old Men

Capote

Sideways

Inglorious Bastards

The Hurt Locker

Little Miss Sunshine

This Is England

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Wrestler

The King's Speech

I'm with my brother Pete on the documentary thing, but I have to depart from his views on cinema, too. KD's list is excellent, and I'm certain that we could come up with a list ten times that long of equally worth films from the past decade. I think the big, loud action/popcorn flicks have really gotten crappy, but if you take the time to look around you can find some amazing cinema. The smaller indy films AND foreign cinema has a LOT of great stuff. "The Lives of Others" is a film that I rank among the best films I've seen over the past five or ten years, and I would bet that a guy like Pete would love it. KD's suggestion of "This is England" is fantastic, as well, and one that deserves more recognition.

I'm biased, of course, as I am a huge movie guy...but like KD, I truly believe there are films out there for everyone to enjoy.

No Country for Old Men

Capote

Sideways

Inglorious Bastards

The Hurt Locker

Little Miss Sunshine

This Is England

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Wrestler

The King's Speech

Thank you for the recommendations!

No Country For Old Men- great film! I stand corrected. I love everything the Coen brothers have done. I watched No Country a few times and there is some deep meaning in it.

Sideways I watched awhile ago after the hype. I thought it was overrated, but I have to watch again.

I didn't care for the Kill Bill movies. True Romance blows away any Tarrantino film IMO. Inglorious was entertaining, but again I didn't care for it as much as my friends did.

Tennebaums was good. I like quirky films and Wes Anderson is a decent director.

I will have to check out the others- especially THe King's Speech

I could agree that Forrest Gump is among the most overrated movies, but overall worst? No fuggin' way. At the very least, it was well acted. On that merit alone, it can't possibly be the worst major motion picture.

My vote is for a recent one, Meet the Fockers. The worst part is that it's a franchise filled to the brim with good actors. I think they must have all gotten a collective brain aneurysm 5 minutes before accepting their roles once again.

Absolutely disagree, Pete. Is there a lot of contrived crap? Absolutely. But if you're willing to do the legwork in terms of research, there's still a ton of good cinema out there.

Am I imagining things?!? Sage posted? Welcome back and we demand a lentil update...NOW!!!

Thank you for the recommendations!

No Country For Old Men- great film! I stand corrected. I love everything the Coen brothers have done. I watched No Country a few times and there is some deep meaning in it.

Sideways I watched awhile ago after the hype. I thought it was overrated, but I have to watch again.

I didn't care for the Kill Bill movies. True Romance blows away any Tarrantino film IMO. Inglorious was entertaining, but again I didn't care for it as much as my friends did.

Tennebaums was good. I like quirky films and Wes Anderson is a decent director.

I will have to check out the others- especially THe King's Speech

I'll add to that list, although I am sure you have seen a lot of these movies anyway, but my point is that there is still good mainstream movies out there that have been made in the last 10 years, even the mindless popcorn munching movies.

Lord of the Rings trilogy

King Kong

Harry Potter series

War of the Worlds

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Iron Man

Star Wars Episode III( I know how people feel about the prequels, but Revenge of the Sith is badass)

Spider-Man 2

X2

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

The Incredibles

Ratatouille

Wall-E

Up

Toy Story 3

How to Train Your Dragon

Madagascar

Inception

The Prestige

Valkyrie

The Fighter

3:10 to Yuma

Gladiator

Changeling

Gran Torino

Black Swan

American Gangster

Watchmen

Tropic Thunder

Little Children

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Moulin Rouge

Finding Neverland

The Ring

The Descent

Let Me In

Let the Right One In

Night Watch

I could probably list more, but I think that's a big enough list. I do not see many documentaries, but there is one I should list and I know many people on this board will agree with this selection.

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Please go over this list and let me know what you think. Yes, there is a lot of bad stuff made today, but there is still some very good stuff too, and I think a good amount of the movies I just listed are worthy of that.

Still haven't heard a better candidate for worst major picture than alexander. Jolie's accent for some bizarre reason is a cheap Russian sounding imitation like natasha from the cartoon. curiously none of the other greeks speak like her. Colin has talcum powder in his hair ... why? Was there anything in the historical accounts that mentioned this? I agree stone is hit or miss (hits for me wall street 1, 4th of July, doors, JFK .... misses wall street 2, platoon, bush). But good grief Alexander shows no signs of any experience whatsoever amongst the actors and directors. And this with a prepackaged story that has interested people for over 2,000 years.

Still haven't heard a better candidate for worst major picture than alexander. Jolie's accent for some bizarre reason is a cheap Russian sounding imitation like natasha from the cartoon. curiously none of the other greeks speak like her. Colin has talcum powder in his hair ... why? Was there anything in the historical accounts that mentioned this? I agree stone is hit or miss (hits for me wall street 1, 4th of July, doors, JFK .... misses wall street 2, platoon, bush). But good grief Alexander shows no signs of any experience whatsoever amongst the actors and directors. And this with a prepackaged story that has interested people for over 2,000 years.

You may be right. I was interested when I heard that Rosario Dawson had an extended nude scene. So I looked it up and even that was completely lame. I’ve always thought she was beautiful, but that terrible fake torpedo job she got is disturbing. Other than that, I’ve only seen very short little parts of the movie and it looked 100% nauseating.