Ten "worst" films ever

WWVaBeach

Oh, I can top that. "The Family Stone". :sick:

Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to avoid it. :thumbsup:

(No idea what it's about and don't think the wife has heard of it, so it shouldn't be too hard to avoid.)

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to avoid it. :thumbsup:

(No idea what it's about and don't think the wife has heard of it, so it shouldn't be too hard to avoid.)

oh, the Family Stone is gawd-awful, pretty much unwatchable. it's supposed to be a comedy, i think, and yet it's not even funny in the worst of ways. and there's some cringe-worthy dinner table conversation midway through the movie which nearly led me to shut it off. i didn't because i wanted to watch this car wreck to its utter end.

it was miscast, poorly directed and featured diane keaton, who just might be the worst actor/actress around. why she continues to get parts, never mind broke into the business in the first place, is beyond me.

Alexander by comparison is Citizen Kane.

jw

I'll add to that list, although I am sure you have seen a lot of these movies anyway, but my point is that there is still good mainstream movies out there that have been made in the last 10 years, even the mindless popcorn munching movies.

Lord of the Rings trilogy

King Kong

Harry Potter series

War of the Worlds

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Iron Man

Star Wars Episode III( I know how people feel about the prequels, but Revenge of the Sith is badass)

Spider-Man 2

X2

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

The Incredibles

Ratatouille

Wall-E

Up

Toy Story 3

How to Train Your Dragon

Madagascar

Inception

The Prestige

Valkyrie

The Fighter

3:10 to Yuma

Gladiator

Changeling

Gran Torino

Black Swan

American Gangster

Watchmen

Tropic Thunder

Little Children

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Moulin Rouge

Finding Neverland

The Ring

The Descent

Let Me In

Let the Right One In

Night Watch

I could probably list more, but I think that's a big enough list. I do not see many documentaries, but there is one I should list and I know many people on this board will agree with this selection.

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Please go over this list and let me know what you think. Yes, there is a lot of bad stuff made today, but there is still some very good stuff too, and I think a good amount of the movies I just listed are worthy of that.

great list though i haven't seen 8 of these. i'd remove up (i did like the talking dog but was otherwise bored). since you obviously like kids movies i would add shrek, monsters inc, the original jungle book and finding nemo. for documentaries i'd add the mighty uke.

any remake of a previous movie, tv show, or video game, and any sequel other then Godfather II, the Bourne, and Bond (guilty pleasures) movies. Hollywood has been putting out unoriginal, contrived, banal, crap for sometime. There has not been a compelling movie for me to want to see in a long time. Give me a book any time over that **** anytime

I think "Twelve angry men" remake was excellent. Great cast, IMO, George C. Scott was amazing in it.

I'll add to that list, although I am sure you have seen a lot of these movies anyway, but my point is that there is still good mainstream movies out there that have been made in the last 10 years, even the mindless popcorn munching movies.

King Kong

Harry Potter series

War of the Worlds

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Iron Man

Star Wars Episode III( I know how people feel about the prequels, but Revenge of the Sith is badass)

Spider-Man 2

X2

The Incredibles

Ratatouille

Wall-E

Up

Toy Story 3

How to Train Your Dragon

Madagascar

Inception

The Prestige

Valkyrie

The Fighter

Gladiator

Changeling

Gran Torino

Black Swan

American Gangster

Watchmen

Tropic Thunder

Little Children

Moulin Rouge

Finding Neverland

The Ring

The Descent

Let Me In

Let the Right One In

Night Watch

I could probably list more, but I think that's a big enough list. I do not see many documentaries, but there is one I should list and I know many people on this board will agree with this selection.

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Please go over this list and let me know what you think. Yes, there is a lot of bad stuff made today, but there is still some very good stuff too, and I think a good amount of the movies I just listed are worthy of that.

Thank you. Of your list I have seen-

Gran Torino- great movie. Clint has made great movies for a long time and still is.

War of the Worlds- ok. Not my cup of tea- I am not a special effects guy

Pocket For of Quarters- Great documentary. Hollywood could not script a better villain. The villian and his entourage had kind of a Napoleaon Dynamate feel

I will check out some of your other suggestions. I watched This is England last night. Good flick

oh, the Family Stone is gawd-awful, pretty much unwatchable. it's supposed to be a comedy, i think, and yet it's not even funny in the worst of ways. and there's some cringe-worthy dinner table conversation midway through the movie which nearly led me to shut it off. i didn't because i wanted to watch this car wreck to its utter end.

it was miscast, poorly directed and featured diane keaton, who just might be the worst actor/actress around. why she continues to get parts, never mind broke into the business in the first place, is beyond me.

Alexander by comparison is Citizen Kane.

jw

To be fair, Family Stone is a product of piss poor marketing more so than it is a bad movie. It was marketed as a family comedy for the holidays which is what everyone expected when they went to the theater. But it's a drama, and a fairly dark one at that. It's just tough to sell a dark drama at Christmas unless is has a big VFX budget ...

Not saying it's a great movie, but it's not the worst.

This is a fun thread though. You peeps are harsh. Love it.

To be fair, Family Stone is a product of piss poor marketing more so than it is a bad movie. It was marketed as a family comedy for the holidays which is what everyone expected when they went to the theater. But it's a drama, and a fairly dark one at that. It's just tough to sell a dark drama at Christmas unless is has a big VFX budget ...

Greg - Did you actually see what is a poor excuse for a movie? It wasn't drama and it wasn't dark. Except for the inside of the essentially empty theater. It was pure

C R A P.

Edited by BuffaloBud

King Kong

Harry Potter series

War of the Worlds

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Iron Man

Spider-Man 2

X2

The Incredibles

Ratatouille

Wall-E

Up

Toy Story 3

How to Train Your Dragon

Madagascar

Inception

The Prestige

Valkyrie

The Fighter

Gladiator

Changeling

Gran Torino

Black Swan

American Gangster

Watchmen

Tropic Thunder

Little Children

Moulin Rouge

Finding Neverland

The Ring

The Descent

Let Me In

Let the Right One In

Night Watch

Key:

Liked

Unimpressed/Indifferent

Hated

Haven't seen

Just my opinion.

Was horse face in that movie? I don't expect there to be anything good involving her.

no marketing could've saved this mess. the acting was terrible. the script unruly. the directing non-existent. the only way to market this would've been by billing it: "want to see how not to make a movie: Well, this is it."

there was nothing dramatic or dark about it. it was a pathetic, utter, unwatchable mess.

it might not be the worst, but it's not far upwind from any other stinker.

jw

i don't know, but from the few clips i've seen from Kevin James' new movie, "Zookeeper," that one might be a true contender before this thread finishes its course.

jw

He is veering ever closer to Adam Sandler.....which is bad by the way.

While I am here, anything by Sandler. Who does he have naked pics of to keep getting these movies signed off.

Avatar wins going away. Biggest pice of crap ever made. And no i never saw it. The previews were enough to make me want to pop in my girlfriend's copy of "The Notebook." I'm amazed at the sheer amount of money made by filming james cameron's @#$ hole for 2.5 hours.

It's a disgrace to the entire movie industry that his abortion is the top grossing film of all time.

Tell us how you feel, don't hold back now...

Thank you. Of your list I have seen-

Gran Torino- great movie. Clint has made great movies for a long time and still is.

War of the Worlds- ok. Not my cup of tea- I am not a special effects guy

Pocket For of Quarters- Great documentary. Hollywood could not script a better villain. The villian and his entourage had kind of a Napoleaon Dynamate feel

I will check out some of your other suggestions. I watched This is England last night. Good flick

Clint Eastwood is both an established actor & director. In which case you will really like Changeling, as he directed that movie as well. Both Gran Torino & Changeling came out the same year, and from a directing standpoint I feel that Changeling is the better of the two movies.

Since you are not a special effects guy, a lot of the movies I suggested have lots of special effects. However, I can assure you that special effects alone do not drive the movies on this list.

Greg - Did you actually see what is a poor excuse for a movie? It wasn't drama and it wasn't dark. Except for the inside of the essentially empty theater. It was pure

C R A P.

I saw it ... I kind of have to see most flicks for work. And I certainly don't claim that it's a great movie or even a very good one. But it certainly is a drama and a dark one at that considering that the main plot revolves around a mother wanting to spend her last Christmas with her family before she passes away due to breast cancer (a relapse which she has thus far kept hidden from her children) .

But the only thing they advertised was the rom-com elements with SJP and what's his face. Which, was not even the B plot of the movie.

The town is coming back though, a lot more original material is being bought and put into production. I had a meeting this week where the exec and I talked at length about how producers are starting to reach out for more original material because they have money again to risk. For the past four years the spec market (original scripts) has been stagnant. No one, not even Oscar winning writers, could sell an original spec outside of the indie markets.

That is starting to change and should result in some more original fare.

I saw it ... I kind of have to see most flicks for work. And I certainly don't claim that it's a great movie or even a very good one. But it certainly is a drama and a dark one at that considering that the main plot revolves around a mother wanting to spend her last Christmas with her family before she passes away due to breast cancer (a relapse which she has thus far kept hidden from her children) .

But the only thing they advertised was the rom-com elements with SJP and what's his face. Which, was not even the B plot of the movie.

The town is coming back though, a lot more original material is being bought and put into production. I had a meeting this week where the exec and I talked at length about how producers are starting to reach out for more original material because they have money again to risk. For the past four years the spec market (original scripts) has been stagnant. No one, not even Oscar winning writers, could sell an original spec outside of the indie markets.

That is starting to change and should result in some more original fare.

to me, the reason the movie didn't work is because diane keaton was pathetically miscast as the mother. (well, keaton and miscast just about go together.) as she usually does, she would spontaneously burst out in a laugh and wind up giggling some line. how this counts as "acting," i don't know. and then, from what i recall, in the midst of dinner, there was some strange conversation that dealt with some gay issue, which led to an awkward moment for the audience, which somehow was supposed to be deep, but instead lurched the story into a cringe-induced direction that no one in their right mind could ever have envisioned to go.

rachel macadam proved inept, as she's done in most of her movies since Wedding Crashers.

i nearly forgot sarah jessica parker was in it.

and the fact that writer/director thomas gordon bezucha was selected as "Variety's 10 to watch screenwriters in 2000," puts into complete question Variety's credibility as an entertainment bible.

this was a movie in need of direction, an editor, and either more or less drugs on the set. it's difficult to tell on the drug issue, because this thing was so uptight in its pure and utter incoherence as a story, that not even the deaf and blind would be able to enjoy it. this nearly gave me the dry heaves it was so sickening.

it was a bad, bad movie in which the more i drag it up from the deep dark recesses of my memory, just might lead me to believe it was among the worst. and anybody involved in it should be banned from stepping within 100 yards of a movie set for the near, and perhaps, far future.

farts, i believe, have screened better than this crap.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

to me, the reason the movie didn't work is because diane keaton was pathetically miscast as the mother. (well, keaton and miscast just about go together.) as she usually does, she would spontaneously burst out in a laugh and wind up giggling some line. how this counts as "acting," i don't know. and then, from what i recall, in the midst of dinner, there was some strange conversation that dealt with some gay issue, which led to an awkward moment for the audience, which somehow was supposed to be deep, but instead lurched the story into a cringe-induced direction that no one in their right mind could ever have envisioned to go.

rachel macadam proved inept, as she's done in most of her movies since Wedding Crashers.

i nearly forgot sarah jessica parker was in it.

and the fact that writer/director thomas gordon bezucha was selected as "Variety's 10 to watch screenwriters in 2000," puts into complete question Variety's credibility as an entertainment bible.

this was a movie in need of direction, an editor, and either more or less drugs on the set. it's difficult to tell on the drug issue, because this thing was so uptight in its pure and utter incoherence as a story, that not even the deaf and blind would be able to enjoy it. this nearly gave me the dry heaves it was so sickening.

it was a bad, bad movie in which the more i drag it up from the deep dark recesses of my memory, just might lead me to believe it was among the worst. and anybody involved in it should be banned from stepping within 100 yards of a movie set for the near, and perhaps, far future.

farts, i believe, have screened better than this crap.

jw

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

:lol: