I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

Gordio, I will not defend Schopp. Think I've made it clear that I'm not a fan. That said, I can understand (and sympathize a little) with the idea that the Bills aren't much fun to talk (or write) about sometimes.

Of course, I also don't get PAID to talk or write about them. So if he's really having that much of a problem ... what's that they say about certain players needing a "change of scenery"?

P.S.: Peevo, careful with the "more than anyone else here" generalization. I know Brad, Jeremy, and Nick haven't posted lately -- and I tend to believe threads like this one have a lot to do with that -- but they are still members here. :blink:

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to listen to WGR all of the time.

I would always get frustrated about many of the things brought up in this thread.

After the Sabers were eliminated, I removed 550 from my car presets.

I am happier for it.

Here are a few opinions to note:

1) WECK guests/interviews in the afternoon are better than WGR's

2) In the when driving to work, 97 Rock's Bills coverage is much better than WGR's

Gordio, I will not defend Schopp. Think I've made it clear that I'm not a fan. That said, I can understand (and sympathize a little) with the idea that the Bills aren't much fun to talk (or write) about sometimes.

If you're a bitter, miserable, snarky radio host -- and the team you follow is miserable -- it should be easy to have fun with them and their followers. He makes the happy people miserable, and the miserable more miserable.

Of course, I also don't get PAID to talk or write about them. So if he's really having that much of a problem ... what's that they say about certain players needing a "change of scenery"?

P.S.: Peevo, careful with the "more than anyone else here" generalization. I know Brad, Jeremy, and Nick haven't posted lately -- and I tend to believe threads like this one have a lot to do with that -- but they are still members here. :blink:

Lori, you're right, that was slightly condescending, I apologize. I didn't mean it in an insulting way, just in the sense that a lot of posters already have RIPPED the hosts of GR, without really ever experiencing what its like on the air, and it isn't easy. That is all. Sorry if I came off arrogant or whatnot. And if Nick/Brad/Jeremy read this, you guys do a great job. Sincerely, no insults or patronizing statements intended.

Schopp has made this post go 6 pages deep

Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that he is contributing to the thread... :blink:

I don't really care about his opinions or if he loves or hates the Bills. He is unnecessarily rude to people. Sure, sometimes callers are ill-informed, but this knucklehead uses it as a license to be impolite in return.

It's just nice to know he is so vain that he constantly has to clean up the foul edits on his Wikipedia page.

And if Nick/Brad/Jeremy read this, you guys do a great job. Sincerely, no insults or patronizing statements intended.

Don't forget Howard. Nicest guy on the air in this town!

in the interest of fairness, here is the reply from the Program Director to my email to WGR, complaining about Schopp. Wish i could listen to the exact broadcast again, because i definitely got a different impression. Oh well, no biggie, i still will not become a regular listener to that show again, while Schopp is on. i'm at about 10 minutes once every two or three weeks.

"John – I was listening to the same part of the show and he did not say that and was misquoted on a message board as well. He said that it HAS become a job because he feels the Bills have let him down. Trust me, Mike loves his job here and would rather do nothing else. It’s why he has a Saturday morning show specifically dedicated to collecting cards and sports memorabilia."

-Andy Roth

Program Director

WGR – Sports Radio 550

That is such B.S. (not you).

He clearly said that he could care less how the Bills do on Sundays, or if they win or lose. There is no excuse for saying that. If he doesn't want to be there talking about the Bills, then he should leave. But don't sit and B word about it on the air to all the listeners who love the team and want to talk Bills.

When Schoop left Rochester for Buffalo he pissed all over Rochester - and talked like he had finally made it big and had landed his career job.

Now he is in Buffalo and pissing all over Buffalo.

The funny thing to me is the guy that replaced him in Rochester - Brad Davies - came from Utica - went to Rochester and then landed a gig in Houston.

It must make Schoop sick that he is "stuck" in BLO and his former replacement is now making a name for himself in a top 10 market.

P.S.: Peevo, careful with the "more than anyone else here" generalization. I know Brad, Jeremy, and Nick haven't posted lately -- and I tend to believe threads like this one have a lot to do with that -- but they are still members here. :rolleyes:

They can be annoying for sure, but the fact is, they have a job to do. You get more readers and listeners by being negative, not intellectual. The fact is that most people aren't smart and like listening to drivel- these guys are paid to do what will boost ratings. Same for Jerry Sullivan- He probably is a decent guy away from his job.

Although I have complained in the past, I complain about the job they are paid to do- not the people doing that job

Not going to sift through 7 pages of this. It's pretty clear that Schopp generally just doesn't like the NFL, and gets annoyed at how the Bills make decisions. He's not taking a shot at Buffalo or the Western New York area there, he's just relaying a pessimistic sentiment that he's entitled to have.

You think Mike is the only one who is annoyed by how the Bills make decisions? Since we actually care about the Bills, don't you think we are annoyed even more? You don't see us react in the same childish manner that he does. There's no excuse for it, he's a professional.

let him talk about the bandwagon sabres then, oh wait he's jumped off that too, well i guess its going to be nothing but some obscure female Middle School Tennis Prodigy in Grand Island then

You think Mike is the only one who is annoyed by how the Bills make decisions? Since we actually care about the Bills, don't you think we are annoyed even more? You don't see us react in the same childish manner that he does. There's no excuse for it, he's a professional.

You misunderstand - his annoyance carries more weight. He is a special flower. His mommy told him so.

(I'd like to hear a caller ask him how someone who considers themselves to be in possession of a genius-like level of intellect could be satisfied while wasting away behind a microphone at a radio station discussing a sport he doesn't enjoy. That might make for some good radio...)

That is such B.S. (not you).

He clearly said that he could care less how the Bills do on Sundays, or if they win or lose. There is no excuse for saying that. If he doesn't want to be there talking about the Bills, then he should leave. But don't sit and B word about it on the air to all the listeners who love the team and want to talk Bills.

Keep adjusting that wording and keep trying to convince yourself and your minions that now Andy Roth is lying. We will you go away if a tape appears to refute your lies?

Same for Jerry Sullivan- He probably is a decent guy away from his job.

Although I have complained in the past, I complain about the job they are paid to do- not the people doing that job

He is. I have no problem confirming that.

Keep adjusting that wording and keep trying to convince yourself and your minions that now Andy Roth is lying. We will you go away if a tape appears to refute your lies?

Your only endearing quality is your willingness to keep embarrassing yourself.

From http://mikeschopp.com/

Mike Schopp.com

SPORTS TALK FOR SMART PEOPLE

The Lowdown: Mike Schopp - a Grand Island native - has quickly established himself as one of the nation's top sports talkshow hosts. In radio since 1995, Mike's successes along with with his immense sports knowledge and witty humor have earned him many local listeners.

The proof's in the pudding.

Here it is 5:19 and they are still talking NFL and the Bills. Complete departure from yesterday where they spent maybe 20-30 minutes over the 3 hours. Complete departure from the average time they spend talking about the Bills = 0-10 minutes in the offseason, 30 minutes, maybe, during the season. When all is said and done today, they will spend at least 1.5 hours on the Bills, which is as it should be Tuesday after the draft, btw.

Am I supposed to believe that today's behavior is a coincidence? Or, the more likely explanation: Schopp and the Bulldog got the message that the listeners want to hear about the Bills, and not the friggin Indians or the Red Sox, especially two days after the draft?

He knows damn well he shouldn't have said what he said, and while its doubtful he will admit it fully, at least he is trying to compensate for it today. You can't fault him for that.

From http://mikeschopp.com/

Mike Schopp.com

SPORTS TALK FOR SMART PEOPLE

The Lowdown: Mike Schopp - a Grand Island native - has quickly established himself as one of the nation's top sports talkshow hosts. In radio since 1995, Mike's successes along with with his immense sports knowledge and witty humor have earned him many local listeners.

What a tool... :rolleyes:

I'll put up $100 to the charity of anyone's choice if the wording isn't as Andy's says it is.

All you people have to do is go away if Andy's version is correct.

How about the "Make Preston Ridlehuber Disappear" charity?

Unfortunately for him it's the only job/offer he seems to have got. I recall when he first came on the air in Rochester i nearly 90's, he was labeled as a short timer, before he was on ESPN or something at that level. Instead over the years he has slowly progressed downhill. I think he read too many of his press clipping and that has done him in.

I think most of the people on here, and Alan Pergament, are beating not a dead horse, but the wrong horse........I listen all the time - and he not nearly as negative on the Bills and positive on the Sabres as he was a few years ago. He is very quick to jump all over the Sabres.

It is kind of strange, but honest, that he admits to not being a fan of the Bills anymore, and not really much of a football fan. (We're lucky he wasn't doing the draft like a few years ago - that was torture. He didn't want to be there, and made no bones about it).

I also find it very strange that out of the guys at the station, only Jeremy actually goes to the games. I would think that would be a requirement.

Anyway, I think the show is pretty funny, and entertains me most of the time. Bulldog without Schoop is boring, and I don't like Schoop alone either. Both are helped a lot by Greg Bauch, who is very funny.

Now, it's a toss up for me to listen to Brad on 1230 or S&B on GR. I like them both.........Now, the morning show at GR - that to me is just sooooo boring.

And, how did the guy who start this thread say he always defends GR, and didn't even know that Schoop was from here. If you listen for any amount of time, you would know that.......Also, I've never really heard him rip the area, so I can't see how he said what the first post says he said.

Collectively I would guess a fair amount of listeners and ex-listeners (I'm in that category) have emailed WGR 55 management with complaints during Schopp's tenure there.

It obviously hasn't improved the quality of the show or how their lead host treats the listeners. However, if advertisers were contacted consistently with complaints, I believe then you'd see some sort of improvement.

Like a number of other Bills fans, I own a business and I'd never want to advertise on that show simply because of his lack of respect for the listeners/callers, my potential customers.

Nothing personal towards Schopp, just business.

WGR has failed to sell me on their product, so their advertisers have one less person to buy their products and/or services, and WGR 55 has one less potential advertiser. I would think a lot of other business owners out there feel the same way.

I love Bills talk & if someone else were hosting with Bulldog then I would listen more, but I have mostly stopped listening to wgr in the afternoon because I cannot stand Mike Schopp.

I now turn on Brad Rider at 4pm. If he talks about the Bills or Sabres I'll keep him on otherwise I'll listen to something else such as my ipod or Sandy Beach or Shred & Ragen or the fan590 or sirius NFL Radio(that I share with coworkers) other radio stations for music.

I will still listen to Howard & Jeremy in the morning to get my Bills/Sabres fix

Perhaps an e-mail with this thread as a link sent to Andy at the station would help "convince" him that this tool needs a different approach to the city's National Football Team... then again, maybe not...

Based on past experience, even though I haven't discussed this thread with Andy, I'm positive he already knows about it.

Collectively I would guess a fair amount of listeners and ex-listeners (I'm in that category) have emailed WGR 55 management with complaints during Schopp's tenure there.

It obviously hasn't improved the quality of the show or how their lead host treats the listeners. However, if advertisers were contacted consistently with complaints, I believe then you'd see some sort of improvement.

Like a number of other Bills fans, I own a business and I'd never want to advertise on that show simply because of his lack of respect for the listeners/callers, my potential customers.

Nothing personal towards Schopp, just business.

WGR has failed to sell me on their product, so their advertisers have one less person to buy their products and/or services, and WGR 55 has one less potential advertiser. I would think a lot of other business owners out there feel the same way.

Am I the only one who thinks he's not as bad as was a few years ago. I hated him as much as people on this thread still seem to....I swore I would punch if I met him ..I used to want to call Satellite Solutions and tell them there is no way I would ever buy anything from them with him endorsing them, and doing it in such an arrogant way.

To me, it used to be unjustified and non-stop Bills bashing. I think it was personal towards Donahoe, from comments here and elsewhere. And, it seems that since TD is gone, the talk has been pretty fair. The Bills get bashed on what I would seem to want to bash them on, and for the most part they get credit when it's deserved.

I actually wrote a letter to Andy Roth Monday night. I have included a copy of my email to him as well as his response:

I'm not exactly sure who I should be forwarding this to, so I am actually cc'ing it to a number of people at WGR550. I never, ever write letters or complain about anything be it meals, service, or shows. But I was really really offended after having read an article in TwoBillsDrive.com the Stadium Wall concerning Mike Schopp and some of the comments he made concerning the Buffalo Bills. With the draft going on, it is an exciting time of year for genuine Bills fans and to hear a Buffalo Sports personality have genuine disdaine for the team that many of us hold near and dear to our hearts is very disheartening. I have provided the link and the quote for you:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=88298

I am an avid Buffalo sports fan and listen to WGR550 daily, on my way to work, and on my way home as well as at my house. Unfortunately now I won't be listening to the station anymore while Mr. Schopp is still employed there. It's truly unfortunate that in a wonderful town such as Buffalo with so many avid sports fans, you as a radio station are not able to find a sports personality who is passionate about the area, the teams, and its people.

Mr. Roth's response:

Wallace - Thanks for your e-mail. I always visit twobillsdrive because it is a great way of finding out how Bills fans are thinking. However (and if you read the site you know it too) the posters are not the most accurate in the world. In this (and others on GR), Mike was misquoted again.

Let me try to set the record straight:

1) Mike is from Grand Island.

2) Mike has said that he is no longer a big Bills fan because he has felt the team let him down and he doesn't feel Erie County should be paying for the stadium.

I understand why people don't like Mike sometimes and I always am trying to work with our hosts to put the best show possible on the air. I'll definitely bring it up to his attention and we'll continue to put the best sports talk programming on the air.

-Andy Roth

Program Director

WGR- Sports Radio 550

I sincerely appeciate Mr. Roth taking the time to respond to my email.

BULLCRAP !!....there is deception/spin going on by Mr Andy Roth. I know what i heard. First of all, the " Mike is from Grand Island" comment was NOT discussed during that segement and is NOT an issue for me. Secondly, the comment

"Mike has said that he is no longer a big Bills fan because he has felt the team let him down and he doesn't feel Erie County should be paying for the stadium" is a smoke screen. Now, he may have said those things "on air" on many occassions and he may genuinly feel that way, but again, NEITHER OF THOSE THOUGHTS WERE SAID DURING THE SEGMENT I WAS LISTENING TO. I'm talking about the first half hour on Mondays show, between 3:00 - 3:30pm. He CLEARLY made the following points. Now, they may not be verbatum, but they are damn close.

#1- "he could care less about the Bills"

#2- "he could care less if they win or lose"

#3- "this was just a job for him and he is paid to talk about them"