I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

This is not a slap at Paul Daugherty, but having been connected loosely and not-so-loosely to that business for a couple of decades . . . he's lucky to have received a severance package other than a cardboard box in which to have packed his belongings.

Given what I heard about CC actually pulling people off the air in Cleveland to boot them, I can't say you're wrong. I haven't heard anything out of Rochester in this round -- hope everyone there's okay.

CTR's the one I'm really bummed about down Cincy way; after the Post ceased to exist, this is the second time in a little over a year he's had the rug pulled out from under him. Good guy. I was hoping this gig would last a while for him.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief. Ten pages on this?

Well, as long as it's semi-transmogrifyinging into a general sportstalk thread, I thought I'd throw in some insight from Paul Daugherty, a pretty good columnist in Cincinnati who also had a show on WLW ... at least until yesterday morning. Boo, Clear Channel:

On a personal level, I feel bad for the guy. Clear Channel's exploits speak for themselves.

That being said, his article is a bit disingenuous and self-serving. He clearly knows he sold out going into radio, yet denounces the medium who paid his price. This isn't a victim of a massive restructuring or a plant closing. This was was a personal choice that went wrong.

He is. I have no problem confirming that.

Figures- I have worked with his type. Its not his fault that this type of job exists- its fact that fans eat that stuff up that gets me- say a few insightful things and it validates any negativity you say. A guy just like him actually apologized for a very negative pregame article when he got to our pressbox. Guys like this typically feel bad about what they do, but enjoy working for the media and usually have a family and need to make a living just like everyone else.

My previous posts don't indicate that I get it, but I really do

On a personal level, I feel bad for the guy. Clear Channel's exploits speak for themselves.

That being said, his article is a bit disingenuous and self-serving. He clearly knows he sold out going into radio, yet denounces the medium who paid his price. This isn't a victim of a massive restructuring or a plant closing. This was was a personal choice that went wrong.

Actually, though, it is -- Clear Channel is shedding jobs nationwide, getting rid of local talent and picking up syndicated programming.

Good grief. Ten pages on this?

Well, as long as it's semi-transmogrifyinging into a general sportstalk thread, I thought I'd throw in some insight from Paul Daugherty, a pretty good columnist in Cincinnati who also had a show on WLW ... at least until [

Lori -- Do you feel him being let go was because his style didn't fit radio, or because of the economy?

Actually, though, it is -- Clear Channel is shedding jobs nationwide, getting rid of local talent and picking up syndicated programming.

Respectfully disagree. I'm aware of Clear Channel's practices from the print media and some friends. He, however, was in a stable position prior to making the switch to the dark side. That was where this went wrong, at least according to post.

Lori -- Do you feel him being let go was because his style didn't fit radio, or because of the economy?

You probably remember the list of closed newspapers I had in my signature until a couple of days ago. Radio/TV's in the same boat. Advertising revenue is in the crapper, and these giant media monstrosities only know one way to cut cost: slash payroll. Clear Channel is paying the price -- or rather, the 12 percent of their employees who have lost their jobs since January are -- for the unrestrained station-buying spree that got them into this mess.

As always, JMO.

Respectfully disagree. I'm aware of Clear Channel's practices from the print media and some friends. He, however, was in a stable position prior to making the switch to the dark side. That was where this went wrong, at least according to post.

He's still got the columnist's gig. This was on the side.

You probably remember the list of closed newspapers I had in my signature until a couple of days ago. Radio/TV's in the same boat. Advertising revenue is in the crapper, and these giant media monstrosities only know one way to cut cost: slash payroll. Clear Channel is paying the price -- or rather, the 12 percent of their employees who have lost their jobs since January are -- for the unrestrained station-buying spree that got them into this mess.

As always, JMO.

So do you feel that his un-radio-like, journalistic approach has a place on radio, or not so much?

So do you feel that his un-radio-like, journalistic approach has a place on radio, or not so much?

Honestly? Without listening to him to hear exactly how his approach sounded, I wouldn't have a clue how to answer that. I will say, though, that I liked what WNSA was doing when they were taking their best shot at WGR. Were you able to listen to that, back in the day? I'm not even a Sabres fan, but I thought the Sharpshooters segments with Roby and Kelley were great radio, whether Schopp or Simon was the host.

Maybe that answers your question, maybe not ...

I would much rather listen to an interview with a sports reporter than an athlete. I really like Tony Kornheiser's approach. Never interview an athlete. You know what they are going to say, it's so boring........Reporters, etc. give their opinions.

I would much rather listen to an interview with a sports reporter than an athlete. I really like Tony Kornheiser's approach. Never interview an athlete. You know what they are going to say, it's so boring........Reporters, etc. give their opinions.

I agree generally, especially from football and hockey players, its usually teamspeak.

Bad interviews I've heard come from most network announcers, they just give the company line, nothing controversial at all.

Once in a while you will get a player, obviously very secure in their status, speak their mind. I'm not talking about the diva wide receivers but a guy like Favre.

People bash him, but at least its him speaking, not PC teamspeak.

I watched a great interview live when Griffey Jr. had his presser when he re-signed with the Mariners. It's probably still up on the MLB and Seattle Times websites. He really spoke his mind about the problems the M's had in the clubhouse last year and what he was going to do about it personally. He also added a good deal of humor as a bonus, even poking fun at the wardrobe of the sacred cow called Ichiro.

Reminded me of Torii Hunter's LA Angels press conference. He sat a rally monkey on his shoulder. Very funny guy.

Honestly? Without listening to him to hear exactly how his approach sounded, I wouldn't have a clue how to answer that. I will say, though, that I liked what WNSA was doing when they were taking their best shot at WGR. Were you able to listen to that, back in the day? I'm not even a Sabres fan, but I thought the Sharpshooters segments with Roby and Kelley were great radio, whether Schopp or Simon was the host.

Maybe that answers your question, maybe not ...

Sharpshooters was great. I guess I had a more general meaning to the question, like: Do you feel a journalistic style has a place in radio?

Sharpshooters was great. I guess I had a more general meaning to the question, like: Do you feel a journalistic style has a place in radio?

I'd like to think it does -- I'd like to be informed AND entertained, but if I had to pick one or the other, I'd choose informed. I'm not sure I'm in the majority on that one, though.

Mike is an intellectual bully but not half as smart as he thinks he is- his football knowledge is poor- his hockey and baseball knowledge is fair- he seems frustrated that this is mostly a two sport town- one of my problems is that Parker doesn't call him on his bullsh!t and seems to kiss his butt way too much - an a-hole enabler.

CAN'T STAND THE BUTT MUNCHER I DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO TUNE WGR IN.I LIKED THE "COACH" CHUCK DICKERSON A LOT BETTER LOT MORE INTERESTING TO LISTEN TO.HOWARD SIMON IS GOOD BUT HE IS ON WAY TO EARLY FOR MY BLOOD.

I'd like to think it does -- I'd like to be informed AND entertained, but if I had to pick one or the other, I'd choose informed. I'm not sure I'm in the majority on that one, though.

I'm with you on informed which is why I hate all the attempts(with attempts being the key word) at being funny on WGR.