I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

I never liked Stern but he is controversial, or at least was at one point. People liked that about him. He would do dumb, crazy things that might have gotten him removed from the air(it did at some point didnt it?), it was exciting.

You must have missed some of my posts on this topic. I believe Schopp is annoying and rude. He's not getting 14 pages of posts because hes the only game in town. Hes getting so many because he is controversial.

"Controversy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is often controversy about a significantly different new idea, subject, group or person for a period of time, until honest direct examination of sufficient factual evidence results in widespread agreement on the truths of the matter"

That sounds like this board if you ask me.

BuffaloPowerEye

If you read my post right you would have noticed the ? at the end of that sentence. I didnt know. I believe I've heard multiple times in the past on the show that they are considered the 1 sports station in the nation. Now I havent ever looked into it to prove it before. And it looks like they were a runner up to Dallas in 2008 but they were a nominee. Shame on them for lying on the air for advertising they are the number 1 sports station in the nation. Better yet, shame on me for believing it.

http://www.nabradioshow.com/2008/events/marconiAwards.asp

2008 Sports Station of the Year

KESN-FM Dallas, TX

KGME-AM Phoenix, AZ

KXNO-AM Des Moines, IA

WEEI-AM Boston, MA

WGR-AM Buffalo, NY

I believe what they are referring to is some sort of rating system where stations are rated based on percentage of listeners in the area versus total population...I have seen the rankings and they are indeed number 1(at least were last time I looked). Not defending everything they do, but they are actually telling the truth on that one...what you are bringing up is some kind of award, which is not the same thing...

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe what they are referring to is some sort of rating system where stations are rated based on percentage of listeners in the area versus total population...I have seen the rankings and they are indeed number 1(at least were last time I looked). Not defending everything they do, but they are actually telling the truth on that one...what you are bringing up is some kind of award, which is not the same thing...

Thank you for the clarification. As I said I know that I have heard the advertisements that they are number 1. The award is the only thing that I could find while writing the post. Glad to see Im not going crazy.

And that makes sense, since it's pretty much the only damn thing we have to listen to.

yeah, this post has gone completely off the handle. 15 pages? lets make it 16! I think the bottom line here is, if you don't like the product, dont listen. remember, they make money from advertising, its free to turn on a radio. Especially if its a crank radio, since you're literally using your own energy to provide power.

If miserable = funny and snide and amusing, then I'll agree, because I wouldn't ask for a better neighbor.

The press box environment might not be for everyone, evidently, because it's filled with a bunch of people who cover sports for a living wishing they could kick back and have a beer or 10 while watching a game, and yet knowing that they wouldn't trade their left nugget (apologies to the female persuasion) to be doing anything else.

That is, of course, minus the prerequisite poms poms some might think we need to pack with our gear.

And if that makes me a cranky old coot, too, then let that be the perception, though I'd hate to ruin your experience on this board after all that's happened already.

(disdainful sigh)

jw

I would have gone with "curmudgeon" instead of "cranky old coot," but whatever ... :wallbash:

yeah, this post has gone completely off the handle. 15 pages? lets make it 16! I think the bottom line here is, if you don't like the product, dont listen. remember, they make money from advertising, its free to turn on a radio. Especially if its a crank radio, since you're literally using your own energy to provide power.

I think this is now officially the running, all-purpose sportstalk radio thread.

If miserable = funny and snide and amusing, then I'll agree, because I wouldn't ask for a better neighbor.

The press box environment might not be for everyone, evidently, because it's filled with a bunch of people who cover sports for a living wishing they could kick back and have a beer or 10 while watching a game, and yet knowing that they wouldn't trade their left nugget (apologies to the female persuasion) to be doing anything else.

That is, of course, minus the prerequisite poms poms some might think we need to pack with our gear.

And if that makes me a cranky old coot, too, then let that be the perception, though I'd hate to ruin your experience on this board after all that's happened already.

(disdainful sigh)

jw

Just sharing my personal impression from my few encounters with the man.

Perhaps his demeanor is the standard press box way of life, and I misinterpreted that as his de facto attitude. Regardless, my impression of his work remains the same.

As far as my perception of you, John, I wouldn't begin to assume...I've never met you. You see, I believe that people should base their opinions of others from personal experience, not hear-say, not what your friend tells you, and not what the media writes/types/posts.

The topic of Sullivan and his writing/radio persona was brought up in this thread, and I provided my opinion. This is, after all, a forum for opinions, be they positive or negative regarding the topic at hand.

Unless, of course, the attainment of a handle on this board comes with a prerequisite for pom poms.

:wallbash:

Just sharing my personal impression from my few encounters with the man.

Perhaps his demeanor is the standard press box way of life, and I misinterpreted that as his de facto attitude. Regardless, my impression of his work remains the same.

As far as my perception of you, John, I wouldn't begin to assume...I've never met you. You see, I believe that people should base their opinions of others from personal experience, not hear-say, not what your friend tells you, and not what the media writes/types/posts.

The topic of Sullivan and his writing/radio persona was brought up in this thread, and I provided my opinion. This is, after all, a forum for opinions, be they positive or negative regarding the topic at hand.

Unless, of course, the attainment of a handle on this board comes with a prerequisite for pom poms.

:wallbash:

Considering that John's been here (and covering the Bills) since 2000, I assume the fact that you've never met him means that you haven't been in the RWS press box during that time?

If they dumped S&B and replaced them with Brian Koziol or some other lesser known person either at the station or from the outside, does anyone believe ratings will go down or do people just want to tune into and listen to "Buffalo Sports Talk"(and I use the term loosely when it comes to some of the programming they put on).

Considering that John's been here (and covering the Bills) since 2000, I assume the fact that you've never met him means that you haven't been in the RWS press box during that time?

That's correct. I sat in the box for 3 games during the 98-99 season, including the home finale against the Jets.

After that, I moved on to covering the NLL for about 2 years.

I'm not here to trash Sullivan, Schopp, John, or anyone else. I provided my opinion, my opinion was questioned/challenged, and I defended it, that is all.

If they dumped S&B and replaced them with Brian Koziol or some other lesser known person either at the station or from the outside, does anyone believe ratings will go down or do people just want to tune into and listen to "Buffalo Sports Talk"(and I use the term loosely when it comes to some of the programming they put on).

Again, given that it is all about money, don't you think they would go with close to minmum wage call monitors if they would get the same ratings and thus the same add revenue? Hell, if all I had to do to get the same ratings is hire 6 guys from this board for $25K per year and put them on the radio answering phones and talking about whether a 6th round draft choice was a value pick, I could put the money together to compete with GR.

Again, given that it is all about money, don't you think they would go with close to minmum wage call monitors if they would get the same ratings and thus the same add revenue? Hell, if all I had to do to get the same ratings is hire 6 guys from this board for $25K per year and put them on the radio answering phones and talking about whether a 6th round draft choice was a value pick, I could put the money together to compete with GR.

Except for Schoop, Bulldog & Simon who is the big money talent they recruited for on air duty?

What is this, some kind of viral WGR promo? :wallbash:

This fart of a thread should have blown away from TSW a nanosecond after it was squeezed...

And yet, it lives because people keep posting in it ... :lol:

Bandit: Gotcha. Just trying to establish the timeframe.

Except for Schoop, Bulldog & Simon who is the big money talent they recruited for on air duty?

Id really like to know what they make. Oh wait, maybe I dont. I would prolly puke if I found out they make more than me to be idiots on the air. :wallbash:

That is all I am talking about. If Schoop is so bad that, according to one poster more people listen to him in spite of hating him, then why pay him when they could just hire someone for half his salary or maybe even less? ( I have no idea what local guys make) And why pay Bulldog if all he is is Schoop's lap dog?

My only two points throughout this thread has been

a) the whole premise of the thread was buillt on either inaccuracies or outright lies.

b) their ratings and add revenue justify their existence.

If Schoop is so bad that, according to one poster more people listen to him in spite of hating him,

Hope you're not talking about me.

a) the whole premise of the thread was buillt on either inaccuracies or outright lies.

Obviously we've established that Schopp said he could care less if the Bills win or lose.

That is all I am talking about. If Schoop is so bad that, according to one poster more people listen to him in spite of hating him, then why pay him when they could just hire someone for half his salary or maybe even less? ( I have no idea what local guys make) And why pay Bulldog if all he is is Schoop's lap dog?

I listen from time to time(mainly listen to Sirius), but not very often. If anything I might listen more if they replaced them with someone else.

And yet, it lives because people keep posting in it ... :wallbash:

Bandit: Gotcha. Just trying to establish the timeframe.

No sweat, Lori.

It's not as though I'm a bastion of the AP or anything, it was a side-gig while I was in school (minoring in journalism) that ran it's course.

I have the utmost respect for sports writers since I know it's not an easy profession, I just happen to--like everyone--have my preferences.

I dont think you could pay someone half of what these guys make and consider it pay for a full time job. I would be suprised if they made much over 40K a year, 50K would be a lot. Either way you swing it you couldnt find someone with a decent college education that could afford to live off of half that.