I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

There are 3 parts to what was said:

1) Caring less about what happens on Sundays or with the Bills

2) Where Schopp is from

3) That Schopp talks about the Bills because he is paid to and he doesn't like them at all.

Funny you chose to ignore points 1 and 3, which are obviously the points the original poster is taking offense to and choose to focus on the completely irrelevant point of 2, which is where Schopp is from. Who cares? The original poster really isn't too concerned with where Schopp is from I am pretty sure...

One final attempt at an intelligent response.

This is what OC says he said,

"I don't care about the Bills that much. But, it's something I have to talk about because I have a job that requires me to talk about sports in Buffalo and a lot of people care about the Bills.

That is a far cry to what the original poster posted. It has never been a secret that the Bills in specific and the NFL in general ranks about fourth or fifth in his pecking order. Without hearing the show, and no, they don't audio vault the whole show, I am going to guess that he dredded talking draft, especially on a 85 degree day, but I don't know for sure so I'll defer to whatever memory OC has of it.

It doesn't change my contention that the original post was based on an incorrect assumption that colored the tone of his attempt to paraphrase. That is that instead of representing the tone as not his favorite subject today, the tone was represented as something he hates doing on a daily basis.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One final attempt at an intelligent response.

This is what OC says he said,

"I don't care about the Bills that much. But, it's something I have to talk about because I have a job that requires me to talk about sports in Buffalo and a lot of people care about the Bills.

That is a far cry to what the original poster posted. It has never been a secret that the Bills in specific and the NFL in general ranks about fourth or fifth in his pecking order. Without hearing the show, and no, they don't audio vault the whole show, I am going to guess that he dredded talking draft, especially on a 85 degree day, but I don't know for sure so I'll defer to whatever memory OC has of it.

It doesn't change my contention that the original post was based on an incorrect assumption that colored the tone of his attempt to paraphrase. That is that instead of representing the tone as not his favorite subject today, the tone was represented as something he hates doing on a daily basis.

Can you explain how this... "I don't care about the Bills that much. But, it's something I have to talk about because I have a job that requires me to talk about sports in Buffalo and a lot of people care about the Bills." is a "far outcry" from this.... "I could care less what happens on Sundays or how the Bills do, I moved here, this is just a job. The only reason I follow them is because it is my job to talk about them."?

For about the 5th time, it doesn't matter where he lived. He said what he said.

There are a ton of people who heard what he said, word for word. You are the only one that didn't, yet you are arguing as to what the guy actually said. I said in my original post that "this isn't an exact quote, but its close." The main points are there, and its almost word for word.

Get your panties out from your vagina and take a deep breath. He said what he said, so stop trying to say he didn't. You are fighting a losing battle, and you've gone past the point of embarrassing yourself. I'd call you a moron, but I wouldn't want to insult the actual morons, so I'll leave the personal attacks out of this.

I actually don't hate Shoop as much as most but I think he doesn't belong air here. He openly admits he doesn't like the NFL. I mean WTF??? This is Buffalo. He has no knowledge or insight about anything concerning the Bills.

He definitely has a place in market in some place like Delaware but he jsut doesn't belong here. If any fan from any other market listen to our sports talk, they would laugh. It is minor league and pathetic. We deserve more.

Wait. I encouraged someone to listen to Schopp? Was I ill that day? :rolleyes:

Guessing I was responding to someone who was bashing him without listening to him, and I do still have a problem with that, as well as some of the personal attacks I've seen here and elsewhere.

Morning drive: You've been here long enough to know that Howard is one of my favorite people in the business. Jeremy still goes a little too much for the "edgy" sound IMO, but I don't mind that as much as I used to, and I always make sure I tune him and Sully in on Sunday mornings as I'm driving in to the stadium. That said, I'd just as soon hear Howard go solo (and preferably in the afternoon slot), but I think he likes having someone there to banter with.

Afternoons: I'll be dead honest -- I don't listen much. I didn't mind Mike on WNSA (although for some reason, his 15-minute rant on why Hasek should be the Sabres' captain, until McManus finally cut him off by reminding him about the rule that says a goalie CAN'T wear the C, still sticks in my mind after all these years). Parker is a vet who plays his "voice of the fan" part well. But for some reason, when the two of them get together, they grate on my nerves. I actually enjoyed Parker's take when Brad would fill in; haven't heard him much with Nick, but I'm guessing I'd have a similar reaction. Wouldn't mind seeing Nick take a bigger role with the station, in fact.

As for Schopp's current on-air personality ... not my style, and I think I'd best leave it at that.

So you're saying your most vivid memory is of Schoop is of him being a complete ignoramus about the sport which he professes to be the most knowledgeable...

DO WHAT I DO FOLKS - WHEN YOU HEAR HIS VOICE, CHANGE THE STATION!!!!

I actually don't hate Shoop as much as most but I think he doesn't belong air here. He openly admits he doesn't like the NFL. I mean WTF??? This is Buffalo. He has no knowledge or insight about anything concerning the Bills.

He definitely has a place in market in some place like Delaware but he jsut doesn't belong here. If any fan from any other market listen to our sports talk, they would laugh. It is minor league and pathetic. We deserve more.

It is bad, but, local sports talk is pretty bad most places, if you listen to it too much.

Schoop is such a stupid bush-league amateur, he makes Eddie Andelman look like Mensa material.

I'd rather listen to NPR than an a-hole trying to piss-off listeners for ratings - TURN HIM OFF - and tune out 'GR for that whole marketing philosophy - they think their listeners are stupid, and are arrogantly confident they can thrive with that format.

(They will still survive - there's a plethora of brain-dead morons that will still listen and call in.)

Mike Schoop is a POS.

This guy is amazing, not only is he condescending to the listeners. Its obvious sour grapes with him an his brief stint w/ ESPN, this guy tried to belittle Chris Berman about his commentating popularity (believes its not deserving). Amazing i can't tolerate him any longer....gonna try Rider but for real nfl insight i listen to "moving the changes" w/ T. Ryan and P. Kirwan (very knowledgable)...IM SORRY BULLDOG, PLZ TAKE OVER FOR CHUMP ( and his ridiculous so-called intellectual contest)

in the interest of fairness, here is the reply from the Program Director to my email to WGR, complaining about Schopp. Wish i could listen to the exact broadcast again, because i definitely got a different impression. Oh well, no biggie, i still will not become a regular listener to that show again, while Schopp is on. i'm at about 10 minutes once every two or three weeks.

"John – I was listening to the same part of the show and he did not say that and was misquoted on a message board as well. He said that it HAS become a job because he feels the Bills have let him down. Trust me, Mike loves his job here and would rather do nothing else. It’s why he has a Saturday morning show specifically dedicated to collecting cards and sports memorabilia."

-Andy Roth

Program Director

WGR – Sports Radio 550

in the interest of fairness, here is the reply from the Program Director to my email to WGR, complaining about Schopp. Wish i could listen to the exact broadcast again, because i definitely got a different impression. Oh well, no biggie, i still will not become a regular listener to that show again, while Schopp is on. i'm at about 10 minutes once every two or three weeks.

"John – I was listening to the same part of the show and he did not say that and was misquoted on a message board as well. He said that it HAS become a job because he feels the Bills have let him down. Trust me, Mike loves his job here and would rather do nothing else. It’s why he has a Saturday morning show specifically dedicated to collecting cards and sports memorabilia."

-Andy Roth

Program Director

WGR – Sports Radio 550

Thanks for posting that, and to Andy for responding.

And if that's the quote, then believe me, I understand that sentiment completely. It got tougher and tougher to write as last season limped to its painful conclusion, and I have it on good authority that a couple of the beat guys (jokingly) campaigned for alcohol to be served in the press box.

At least, I think they were joking.

-Andy Roth

Program Director

WGR – Sports Radio 550

This can't be true because I was told that everyone heard the same thing word for word even though nobody remembers the exact wording! :blink:

Well if Andy Roth is reading the Stadium Wall, then I hope he reads this:

The Bills get bashed by so many in the national media and other markets (I live near Boston), it's so depressing to have to hear the hometown sports station bash them as well. There is a difference between critique and negativity and WGR has become the bastion of negativity when it comes to the Bills.

That was evidenced during draft weekend. While most of the national media had praise for the Bills draft, Schoop and Sully could not be so gracious. They had to dredge up past performance as a reason to be negative about the 2009 draft. And when pressed for a reason the biggest answer was "I don't know, I just don't like it." Well if you "don't know" why you don't like something then you don't really have a good reason.

I'm not saying it should always be happy news on the Bills. Just stop reaching for any reason to negative about them. Your bias is obvious, especially when we have a hockey team whose ownership is truly worthy of criticism, and WGR, who happens to be the Sabres station, obviously holds back on coming down on them. I guess credibility is not something WGR is concerned about.

PTR

Why does anyone care what Mike Schopp has to say? Have you ever seen him in person? He's a friggin' tulip. His on air persona is just his way of getting back at society for kicking sand in his face for so many years. Tune in to Brad Riter.

+1

I've said this before-I've met him at Christmas parties and he is an Uber-Dork.

I always defend Schopp even though most people think he's a dick. However, I couldn't believe what I heard him say this afternoon on the air. This isn't an exact quote, but it's close. He and Parker were discussing the players the Bills drafted, and Parker was saying how he thinks the Bills got good players and were hoping they turn into wins. Schopp then said something along the lines of, "I could care less what happens on Sundays or how the Bills do, I moved here, this is just a job. The only reason I follow them is because it is my job to talk about them."

I realize that he didn't grow up here, or ever rooted for the Bills, and he certainly shouldn't have to be a fan of the team just because he's on the air, but do you have to make it sound like you're completely disgusted with the city and team, and you can't wait to get the hell out of here as soon as the possibility presents itself? Jeez. Even if you actually think that, why in the world would you say that on air to the people that listen to your show? To some of the most passionate fans in the NFL? My God. What does this say about the network in general, that these are the individuals they hire for their shows?

Mike--sorry that you feel forced into the position where you have to talk about the Bills. It is such a shame that you HAVE to follow this shiity franchise and live in the area. Poor you.

Is there really no one else out there that WGR could find, that they have to hire a guy who obviously doesn't want to be here? His attitude towards the team, the area, and the fans is clearly apparent.

the guy is a total as-hole. i formerly was a 24/7 listener to WGR. however because of this guy and his moron side kick i subscribed to Sirius.

one thing, do any of you computer junkies know how to e/mail this to the program director @ WGR I'm sure he would love to see it. secondly let him read this post and see how people in this town feel about this arrogant effeminate as-hole !

the guy is a total as-hole. i formerly was a 24/7 listener to WGR. however because of this guy and his moron side kick i subscribed to Sirius.

one thing, do any of you computer junkies know how to e/mail this to the program director @ WGR I'm sure he would love to see it. secondly let him read this post and see how people in this town feel about this arrogant effeminate as-hole !

done.

Thanks for posting that, and to Andy for responding.

And if that's the quote, then believe me, I understand that sentiment completely. It got tougher and tougher to write as last season limped to its painful conclusion, and I have it on good authority that a couple of the beat guys (jokingly) campaigned for alcohol to be served in the press box.

At least, I think they were joking.

Wait a second Lori, MS has gone out of his way on numerous saying that he is not a bills fan & really does not care if they win o lose. I have heard him say this numerous times. He claims he is a Sabres fan & somehow he suddenly converted over to a Cleveland Indians fan when they made their playoff run a couple years ago. I think he was a lifelong Mets fan before that. This guy should not be doing talk radio Lori, especially in a market like Buffalo. My wife has sattelite radio in her car & I love listening to the national broadcasts. They are just so much more interesting & knowledgable. I know it is comparing apples to oranges but it is what it is I guess. When the draft is coming up, & neither one of those 2 morons in the afternoon can not even hold a conversation about the draft prospects because they are more ignorant on the subject then my 91 year old grandmother, somthing is wrong there Lori. When the NCAA tournament comes up in March & Schope openly admits a few years ago that he never heard of Drake & has not watched a college basketball in 5 years, something is wrong there Lori. I disagreed with Coach Dickerson about alot of his views but at least he talked sports & tried to breakdown the matchups & the games. Neither one of these guys should be on the radio on the drive home talking sports. I actually feel sorry for Bulldog. Once upon a time, years, he was actually a pretty good sports guy, you could tell he was passionate about the local teams. Now he is basically paid to be the dope's sidekick, laughing at all his stupid ass jokes. He knows if he gets out of line with the dope, he will probably find himself on the unemployment line.

Here is a telling story of how much the Dope & dipsh*t turned me off to sports talk radio. My car radio was broke back in the fall. I need the factory code & I was just too lazy to look into it. I would listen to nothing on the ride home. Just last week, I finally got it fixed & sure enough I tuned into the Dope & Dipsh*t on the ride home thinking they woul be talking draft, maybe have Gil Brandt on or Tim Florio. Nah, not them. They were playing some stupid they invented & every once in awhile they put on the song from the Jefferson & they had one of the guys singing over it. I have not listened since.

I listen to Schopp and Bulldog just about everyday, or at least when I am free on afternoons. If you really don't like the product, don't listen. It's free radio. Its not like XM or Sirius when you're actually paying to hear stuff you dont like. I'm an XM subscriber myself, but I tune to music for just about all of it. Channel 204 XM Home Ice is GREAT for hockey talk 24/7, but with the obvious lack of playoffs to talk about, whats the point?

Also, bear in mind, he is a "personality" on the air. He has a persona that he channels to sound a certain way on the air. For better or worse, Schopp has made this post go 6 pages deep. Somebody is listening.

If you REALLY think you can do better, do what I'm doing this summer and try for the Rookie contest. I made it 3 rounds deep last year, and 30 minutes of airtime on WGR is a lot more than any other posters they can say they've had. Seriously, talking to your friends about sports is A LOT different then being live, on the one of the top-rated sports talk stations in the nation. Talk radio is not easy, and we act like it is. I've gotten involved at WRUB Radio (wrub.buffalo.edu). Its UB's online radio station. Tune in on Thurs @ 7:30pm, and Sat @ 9pm, last broadcasts of the semester! Ive been on the air now collectively for about 5 hours, and you don't realize how time goes. You can think you're talking about something for 10 minutes, that was only really 3 minutes. Its a lot harder than everyone thinks.

To the point about rudeness to callers: just have your stuff together. Come with your guns loaded and they will listen and respond fairly. If you don't know what you're talking about, or simply make a completely ridiculous point, they will say so. Common sense people. Some guy seriously called in during the NHL trade-deadline time and asked if we would go out and get "Jagr or Sakic." I mean, come on, of course they're not. Don't be ridiculous and they won't be. And that doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to agree with them to have them be decent, just make a fair, honest assesment and speak confidently, and you'll do fine. It's calling a sports radio station, its not like you're interviewing for a job.

He said, "I didn't grow up here rooting for the Bills."

I'm assuming you can understand how I mistook that. It actually is not even the point of what I said. Whether or not he actually grew up here or not has little to do with what he said on the air.

Don't know what you meant by that last statement, but nice try.

its very obvious he is not a bills fan which is fine. but to say all the time he could care less about the bills and football dont tell me thats OK and definitely dont tell me he does not always say that.

to make statements like that on a sports show in bills country the guy should be fired!

oh wait a minute but he would talk tennis 24/7 get real man!

anyone who defends this jerk is either his mother father or siblings he is a total jack off . bulldog is his poop boy and is so dumb that he is lucky he has a job. how anyone would expect him to call out schoop on anything obviously has not listened to the show very much.