Round 6, Pick 183: CARY HARRIS, CB, USC

Why? Cary Harris was graded as a 3rd rounder by many scouts, so why not take him in the 6th? The worst thing that could happen is that we waste a late round pick.

Could've had Brannan Southerland to help open holes for our RB's, or another DT to line up beside Stroud on the interior, or another LB to put Ellison further down the bench. Harris is a stupid pick. No offense against you or anything Fingon :thumbsup:

I walked away from the TV for awhile while tossing the baseball with my son.

Came back and hit rewind on my DVR to the point the selection came up on

my TV.

hee hee hee

Was I surprised, NO! Just went to the fridge and grabbed another brew.

The entire draft in my eyes is an A on paper. I guess just let DJ get his

jollies by picking ANOTHER DB!

Remember this, what round was Brady chosen? Well they say lightning does

not strike twice...funny thing is it hit in NE first, and never here....

Dang Bills, what a crud pick!

I can't believe how whiney people get over a 6th round draft pick. This front office has had a great draft this weekend and they deserve alot of credit because they were able to address the many needs that we came into this draft with. Do I support the pick of another DB... NO. But this was just a typical late round Bills pick that many get worked up over for nothing.

The reason why its so ridiculous for them to take another corner is that we don't even have room for him. McGee, McKelvin, Florence, Youboty, Corner. You can't tell me we couldn't have put this pick to better use when we already have 5 legitimate cornerbacks.

Its a 6th round pick so people shouldn't get all worked up over it, but its dumb, in a laughable sort of way.

Could've had Brannan Southerland to help open holes for our RB's, or another DT to line up beside Stroud on the interior, or another LB to put Ellison further down the bench. Harris is a stupid pick. No offense against you or anything Fingon :thumbsup:

Our O line and D Line are now crowded enough, we dont need another project there...I think we look pretty good on the lines at this point in terms of promise and depth.

Cary is a player and very good value in the 6th round...

In case anyone missed it, our DB's havent been the healthiest bunch...

The reason why its so ridiculous for them to take another corner is that we don't even have room for him. McGee, McKelvin, Florence, Youboty, Corner. You can't tell me we couldn't have put this pick to better use when we already have 5 legitimate cornerbacks.

Its a 6th round pick so people shouldn't get all worked up over it, but its dumb, in a laughable sort of way.

Your right.

3 of those guys have had a history of injuries...

So do I. Its not that he wasn't a good value. It's how many DB's do we need going into camp?

We now have:

1. Terrence McGee

2. Leodis McKelvin

3. Ashton Youboty

4. Drayton Florence

5. Reggie Corner

6. Dustin Fox

AT CB

1. Donte Whitner

2. Brian Scott

3. Ko Simpson

4. George Wilson

5. John Wendling

3. Jairus Byrd

4. Cary Harris

At Safety

Our O line and D Line are now crowded enough, we dont need another project there...I think we look pretty good on the lines at this point in terms of promise and depth.

Cary is a player and very good value in the 6th round...

In case anyone missed it, our DB's havent been the healthiest bunch...

Our DL is crowded with sub-par players, and we don't have a true LT. The last thing on the planet this team needed was another defensive back. I would have rather seen a qb. Is the guy from Alabama gone?

i just have this picture in my mind of DJ pacing in the corner and

Modrak looking at him with some trepidation saying, "Ok, Ok,

just do it, draft another DB to get him off my back!"

I would have added Wilson in, but he went to bed yesterday

around the 3rd pick....

Our DL is crowded with sub-par players, and we don't have a true LT. The last thing on the planet this team needed was another defensive back. I would have rather seen a qb. Is the guy from Alabama gone?

No. And he would've been a better "wasted pick."

A.Q. Shipley is still on the board, too. :unsure:

(Oh, and I heard this drunk guy say that you don't need a LT if you run the Tampa 2. :thumbsup:)

so mcghee and youbouty never get hurt?? How about every year...did you ever think they may have had enough with ashton? at least he played at USC--we have reggie corner who could not even get invited to combine from the mac, drayton florence who stole money from jags--when did these guys become solid locks at the corner position...let himn get in the mix, see if he can contribute and/or play specials and make the team better

Who'd they really lose in the secondary?

McKelvin, McGee, Simpson, Corner, Whitner, Wilson, Florence, Fox, Scott, Youboty, and Wendling are still under contract. Now they added 3 more guys. :thumbsup:

Simpson, Wilson, Florence , and Fox could not make the team.

Except 3 of those guys have made the team for 2 or 3 years running...

Right, but that doesn't mean we can't improve on some of them. I like Wilson but he is not a good safety. I don't know about Fox or Florence. I think Simpson is cut after the 1st mini-camp.

Except 3 of those guys have made the team for 2 or 3 years running...

you misunderstood the post. he is saying that they could (as in may) not beat out the rookies this year. they are marginal guys compared to the rest.

ko and wilson are two guys we don't want starting, and while i like scott as a tough guy, he just isn't great in deep cover situations (which happen 40%+ in the nfl!!). byrd at FS and donte at SS, along w mcgee and leodis gives us a bunch of tacklers and guys who can pick a ball and bring it back.

also we need to be in nickle and dime every single game. that brings in corner and youboty. and at least 1 or 2 of our picks today are for april to keep fresh legs on special teams.

BUFFALO BILLS 6th ROUND DRAFT PICK (183rd OVERALL) CARY HARRIS

Conference Call

Sunday, April 26, 2009

On being drafted by the Bills:

I feel great. I’m good friends with Keith Ellison. My other friend plays on a soccer team up there, so I’m really excited to get up there and start learning the playbook.

On what he knows about the franchise:

I know it’s a good team. They’ve been at the brink of getting to the playoffs the last three years and I think this is the year we can finally get into the playoffs and try to make something happen.

On if he was drafted about where he expected to be:

I expected to go higher, but I had no idea. I didn’t get the chance to run the 40. I was injured. I’m just happy to be selected by them.

On if he ran the 40 at the Combine:

Yeah, I ran it, but I was hurt.

On what his true 40 time is:

I ran a 4.58 at the combine, so I’m a low 4.5, high 4.4.

On if he feels like playing at USC will help the transition to the NFL:

Yeah, we had a lot of different pro schemes that we run. We had a lot of competition every day in practice, so that’s definitely going to prepare me for the next level.

On if he had spoken to the Bills:

I think I talked to them briefly at the combine. I don’t think it was an actual set meeting, but I think I spoke with them just for a second.

On if it was a surprise that they drafted him:

Yeah, definitely a surprise.

you misunderstood the post. he is saying that they could (as in may) not beat out the rookies this year. they are marginal guys compared to the rest.

ko and wilson are two guys we don't want starting, and while i like scott as a tough guy, he just isn't great in deep cover situations (which happen 40%+ in the nfl!!). byrd at FS and donte at SS, along w mcgee and leodis gives us a bunch of tacklers and guys who can pick a ball and bring it back.

also we need to be in nickle and dime every single game. that brings in corner and youboty. and at least 1 or 2 of our picks today are for april to keep fresh legs on special teams.

You misunderstand my post.

Dick Jauron is our head coach.

These were the idiots who drafted Youboty, Wendling, Fox, and Simpson in the first place. So the fact that one or all of them may be cut to make room for this year's fresh crop of DBs gives me little comfort. It's bad enough that they prioritize DBs, but they can't even hit on those picks and have to keep replacing their own small guys every year. It's a sad joke.

These were the idiots who drafted Youboty, Wendling, Fox, and Simpson in the first place. So the fact that one or all of them may be cut to make room for this year's fresh crop of DBs gives me little comfort. It's bad enough that they prioritize DBs, but they can't even hit on those picks and have to keep replacing their own small guys every year. It's a sad joke.

Yes it is. Too bad lots of people don't get it.

How many dbs does this team really need, 20??? enough already

You understand that teams play the nickel just as much, if not more than their base D in today's NFL. That means 5 DBs on the field at once. You need at least 5 solid DBs and 2 more who can fill in. DBs are a need every year for every team

I can't believe how whiney people get over a 6th round draft pick. This front office has had a great draft this weekend and they deserve alot of credit because they were able to address the many needs that we came into this draft with. Do I support the pick of another DB... NO. But this was just a typical late round Bills pick that many get worked up over for nothing.

The thing is any position would have done but this is kinda like drafting a punter. We allready know he wont stick so it's pretty save assume the pick was wasted, we simply don't have the need so why even use a pick on that position. Also it's very much like Cox last year, who turned out to be pretty decent only to get signed to the Greenbay PS and later snatched by the Jags.

im not sure why you guys get so pissy about the Bills Drafting DB players. last couple years this is the position i recall getting injured alot on the Bills roster and cost us some games.

Perhaps but having a defense that can't presssure the quarterback and an offense that can't get downfield to save their souls cost us even more games. Seems the best teams stock up on DT's, not DB's. But hard to argue with the crack team of brainiacs pulling off 7 and 9 seasons on a regular basis. hard to argue with success mediocrity.

im not sure why you guys get so pissy about the Bills Drafting DB players. last couple years this is the position i recall getting injured alot on the Bills roster and cost us some games.

These guys wouldn't take such a beating if they didn't have to help against the run so much.

If he's a practice squad player, then he's going to have to be cut first. They're not a part of the active roster. If he's any good, someone will just sign him off the practice squad and this pick will have been flushed down the toilet.

Has it always been that way? For some reason I felt like it was different years ago. Maybe it was just that any guy I ever noticed put on there seemed to go to the PS unnoticed.

Negatives: Questionable deep speed. ... Lacks the late burst to recover if beaten initially. ... Seems content making the secure stop rather than going for the interception. ... Some durability concerns. Underwent surgery on a sprained finger in spring 2007. Underwent surgery on both ankles in spring '08.

If the best they can come up with for negatives is he likes to tackle too much and he hurt his finger, I'm thinking it might be a decent pick for the 6th round.