Major Plane Crash in Clarence Center (50 dead)

PTS

I heard a strange loud noise outside and 10 minutes later my fiance's mother called and said a plane crashed near us. We can see the smoke and red sky right outside our back windows. There's nothing but fields between us and where the plane crashed.

Flight 3407 originated from Newark. Reports are all 48 people on board are dead and at least one on the ground.

Prayers go out to all families affected by this tragedy. Sad day in WNY.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/577959.html

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a strange loud noise outside and 10 minutes later my fiance's mother called and said a plane crashed near us. We can see the smoke and red sky right outside our back windows. There's nothing but fields between us and where the plane crashed.

Reports are around 50 people died. Flight originated from Newark.

Prayers go out to all families affected by this tragedy.

omg....

Flight 3407 originated from Newark. Reports are all 48 people on board are dead and at least one on the ground.

i know someone who lives on that street...F&&^%&^....-that is right in clarence center

It appears that the cause of the crash was bad weather/wind/rain/snow

way to early to know anything. I just read someone said the plane was on fire before it crashed.

I was on an airline pilot forum where they had air traffic control audio of the approach and everything was fine and then no response from the plane. (evidently atc is different than the tower to plane communications).

I'm a little over a half a mile away from the crash site. The plane would have flew directly over my lot on it's way to the airport.

I heard an extremely loud noise for 5-6 seconds. I thought it was a plane about to fly over us because they do get very loud when the sky is overcast like it was tonight.

After those few seconds, it went silent. I thought it was strange as I was expecting the plane to fly over us but I didn't think anything of it since I didn't hear any secondary explosion-type sounds.

Then the "parade" of Emergency vehicles rolled by and we figured something bad had happened. My fiance's mom called seconds later and said a small plane crashed.

This is surreal. My lady is freaked out. A few more seconds and that could have been our house or one of my neighbors. It's just unbelieveable.

I'm a little over a half a mile away from the crash site. The plane would have flew directly over my lot on it's way to the airport.

I heard an extremely loud noise for 5-6 seconds. I thought it was a plane about to fly over us because they do get very loud when the sky is overcast like it was tonight.

After those few seconds, it went silent. I thought it was strange as I was expecting the plane to fly over us but I didn't think anything of it since I didn't hear any secondary explosion-type sounds.

Then the "parade" of Emergency vehicles rolled by and we figured something bad had happened. My fiance's mom called seconds later and said a small plane crashed.

This is surreal. My lady is freaked out. A few more seconds and that could have been our house or one of my neighbors. It's just unbelieveable.

Glad to hear you were missed!

According to the coverage right now on channel 13 in Rochester there was a 911 widow on the flight.

I hope nobody here was hurt or had family members on the plane. God forbid they did.

CRAZZZZZY, this one kind of hit home for me because Newark is the airport I fly out of all the time to go to the bills games being I'm living in Jersey now(Continental is usually the cheapest). Guess I'll be driving to all the games now.

My sister and brother in law live about 5000 ft from the incident.

RIP

Apparently one unlucky SOB died on the ground as well (6038 long st.)

Here's the ATC audio. The last response from the flight crew was at 16:07 into the file. No distress calls at all.

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kbuf/KBU...-2009-0300Z.mp3

It's super creepy hearing somebody's last words before a death they have absolutely no idea is coming. It obviously happened in a flash and those aboard probably only had seconds, if that, to realize what was happening.

At about 17:15 you can hear the tower trying to communicate with the plane. They ask another plane if they see anything about five miles off and they say nothing can be seen but I'd think the explosion would have been visible.

At about 20:00 they become aware that the plane probably crashed and at about 21:30 they declare an emergency.

At about 22:35 cactus 1452 reports they've been picking up on ice for awhile.

At about 23:58 they start talking to planes about icing. One plane says they have about a half inch of ice and the cactus 1452 states they've been having icing for about 10 minutes so far.

So it appears icing is a possible cause for the crash.

IIRC, Sully said cactus is the code word for a US Air flight.

According to this article they reported something wrong but every other outlet I've seen or heard is not saying that.

Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority spokesman C. Douglas Hartmayer said there was little communication between the plane, Flight 3407, and the tower before the crash. Crew members aboard the flight from Newark Airport had reported mechanical problems as they approached Buffalo.

Listening to the tower transmission I don't hear anything about mechanical problems.

This is truly horrible. From what I'm reading it sounds like icing is a major factor.

I was up until midnight last night, but I didn't hear anything about the crash until I turned the news on at 7:30 this morning.

PTS, you said that planes fly low over your property. I live about five miles from Hopkins Airport here in Cleveland, so I know exactly what you're talking about. It seems like either the planes are getting lower or the engines are getting louder.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of whose who lost loved ones. RIP to those who died. :(

It's now being reported that 50 people have died in the crash, as apparently there were 49 on board.

MSNBC & CNN said that two people miraculously made it out of the house, but one did not.

My prayers & condolences go out to all of the families involved in this. I can only imagine what everyone is going through.

I wouldn't use this as a reason not to fly. Tragedies can strike anywhere. Remember the I-35 bridge collapse in Minnesota?

This was the first fatal crash of a commercial flight since around August of 2006, so we're talking about over 2.5 years in between.

My wife used to frequently travel across the country for work. When I asked her if she was ever concerned about her plane crashing, she said if it happens, then it happens. You don't know when or where these tragedies will happen, so you can't live your life worrying about that.

I wouldn't use this as a reason not to fly. Tragedies can strike anywhere. Remember the I-35 bridge collapse in Minnesota?

1st commecial crash (with fatalities) in America in 2.5 years they said on the CBC. Sad news for sure. I hope everyone here and their families are ok.