Can a Dicky J change his stripes?

stevewin

Granted, Jauron has had the same style his whole career - but at this point he has to be acutely aware of the extremely strong criticisms being waged against him. What is the possibility he was told explicitly (or at least recognizes himself?) that he should change/improve certain aspects of his coaching - and would he be willing/capable?

Tom Coughlin got to a point where he understood he needed to make changes in order to be successful (and survive) - in his case it was to be less of a taskmaster and more of a 'player's coach'. Is it possible for Jauron to successfully go the other way - become more of a hard ass, be tougher, make players more accountable, practice outside - instill more toughness etc.? Is game day management something he can study and work to make himself better at?

I just can't believe he could think he can keep the same modus operandi at this point(?) - he must think he needs to make some changes, right? Could he do it if he wanted to?

Granted, Jauron has had the same style his whole career - but at this point he has to be acutely aware of the extremely strong criticisms being waged against him. What is the possibility he was told explicitly (or at least recognizes himself?) that he should change/improve certain aspects of his coaching - and would he be willing/capable?

Tom Coughlin got to a point where he understood he needed to make changes in order to be successful (and survive) - in his case it was to be less of a taskmaster and more of a 'player's coach'. Is it possible for Jauron to successfully go the other way - become more of a hard ass, be tougher, make players more accountable, practice outside - instill more toughness etc.? Is game day management something he can study and work to make himself better at?

I just can't believe he could think he can keep the same modus operandi at this point(?) - he must think he needs to make some changes, right? Could he do it if he wanted to?

I could care less about his personality - His results are what matters.

I also doubt he would suddenly become a hardass as this is a question of personality and it hard to see how he would change radically his personality at this point/

I suspect he will make changes because he clearly is on the hot seat, but these changes are likely to be intellectual changes rather than stylistic changes.

This would probably be a good thing because if the difference were to be he suddenly became a hardass this likely would lead to failure anyway as this change in style strikes me as a stupid change rather than one that would make a difference in results.

I'm all with you on the practicing outside thing. These guys need to grow a pair before they're rewarded with anything.

Maybe hypnosis or electroshock therapy might help him. Hormone injections could take up the production slack of his numb nuts. Thing is, Ralph has already rewarded him for mediocrity, so why should he change? From the top down, it's all carrot and no stick at OBD.

;)<_<

I mistakenly thought he would change a little this past year, when Buffalo named a new and supposedly more aggressive OC. Amazingly, the play-calling went into conservative mode down the stretch and we were right back where we started.

Jauron's greatest problem is an inability to select good coordinators, particularly offensive. Gary Crowton, John Shoop, Steve Fairchild, and Turk Schonery aren't exactly guys who will be getting NFL HC jobs anytime soon, nor are/were that all that innovative.

I don't think DJ changes, particularly with that tough schedule he's got in 2009

I mistakenly thought he would change a little this past year, when Buffalo named a new and supposedly more aggressive OC. Amazingly, the play-calling went into conservative mode down the stretch and we were right back where we started.

I think where you're going is that this is on Jauron. Turk had things running pretty well up to 5-1 and even through the loss to the Jets in November. It was after that loss where things got conservative and while Schonert could have taken the careful mentality/approach, he knew that his job was to get the offense to be more dynamic and less predictable. I doubt Schonert made things conservative all on his own.

Can Wade Philips suddenly become a more demanding coach? I don't think so...you are what you are. Coughlin was able to smooth his edges a bit, but really, what did he do? He assembled a 'leadership team' composed of veterans and met with them (weekly I think) and may have made himself more approachable to the rest of the team. For Wade or Jauron to suddenly become something they are not...aint gonna happen unless of course we hire a "Director of Game Management" which will fix everything.

Results is what matters indeed, but id like to see the guy get pissed when players make mistakes or when calls are blown. Im not saying he needs to go nuts, but at least show some type of character....

Oh come on.

Looking blankly at the Jumbotron and clapping your hands repeatedly is .... kinda like getting pissed and demanding better.

Isn't it?

Do any of you think that Dick's porcelain cat demeanor makes this team more or less susceptible to refs taking advantage?

Meaning: Does a ref who just made a bad call look over at Dick in fear? I would think a ref may be a little more apprehensive of running over to say, an angry Bill Cower then Dick. We've all seen the "Make-up Call" after a crap call, so we know that refs at least "try" to have a conscience but do they react the same when Monotone Mcgee is burning a hole in their uniforms with his unblinking "Not-Quite-Death Ray" stare? Just askin'...

Can Wade Philips suddenly become a more demanding coach? I don't think so...you are what you are. Coughlin was able to smooth his edges a bit, but really, what did he do? He assembled a 'leadership team' composed of veterans and met with them (weekly I think) and may have made himself more approachable to the rest of the team. For Wade or Jauron to suddenly become something they are not...aint gonna happen unless of course we hire a "Director of Game Management" which will fix everything.

I'd further add that TC found good coordinators in Gilbride(!) and Spaguolo. I think Coughlin let both of them do their thing without micromanagement. One consistency in the past 6 years DJ has HC'd is a lack of offense, spread across three separate coordinators for two franchises.

This 2008 season proved that DJ will not deviate, and actually retreats into ultra-conservative mode when the slightest hint of problems occur. The offense was fairly healthy, so it wasn't a redux of the 2007 defense.

Jauron's greatest problem is an inability to select good coordinators, particularly offensive. Gary Crowton, John Shoop, Steve Fairchild, and Turk Schonery aren't exactly guys who will be getting NFL HC jobs anytime soon, nor are/were that all that innovative.

I don't think DJ changes, particularly with that tough schedule he's got in 2009

I totally agree that the problem is that Jauron has never been able to get good and consistent production out of his OC. Sure various O stats did improve under Schonert, but they merely improved from horrendous to extremely disappointing. Like it or not the offense under the Turk and DJ was simply inadequate. Even the improvement is not fast enough to match an improvement like the meteoric rise which saw the Fish go from 2-14 to the playoffs under Parcells and the Jets fall short but improve to just short of playoff worthy under Favre.

However, I think your conclusion that the problem here is Jauron going conservative does not really fit the facts of what happened. A pivotal play this year for example was when the Bills with a lead late in the game sent JP on a rollout on a pass play and the resulting fumble led to an opposing TD and a loss.

The conservative thing to do would have been to send the Beast into the line for a couple of yards and a cloud of astroturf and then rely on Moorman and the D to seal the deal. Jauron took the heat for this being his call and the conservative thing would likely have been the right thing to do.

This episode is consistent with other non-conservative bad calls which Jauron has made like trying to have Edwards throw in the shadow of the Dallas endzone leading to an INT when an FG would have made it that much more difficult for the Boys to pull off a win which took a miracle anyway.

In his first year as HC with the Bills ahead of the Pats and a 4th and 1 he sent WM into the line (who apparently forgot the down count) and we turned the ball over and the Pats marched back to the win when the conservative move of kicking the FG might have made the whole season very different.

I agree that Jauron needs to simply make the O work in order to improve and he has shown little to no signs of doing this throughout his career. However, I think your theory that he is too conservative simply does not fit a bunch of real world key examples.

Another aspect of Jauron's acumen that needs to be questioned, but has rarely been discussed is his evaluation of talent (or lack thereof). It was bad in Chicago, it's been equally bad here.

The news of Modrak being pressed into the inner circle of personnel decisions should have had the subtlety of a sledgehammer. But it's been virtually ignored by most (outside Lori & Rich). We know that Brandon doesn't have the final say on personnel. We knew that Levy didn't. We thought that Modrak did, but obviously not.

That leaves Jauron or Wilson, who are responsible for the roster composition for the last 3 years.

Yup, change you can believe in.

I do not know if DJ can become more demanding or animated.

If Mularkey can run a real offense that does not rely on trick plays and is effective enough to get into the playoffs, then DJ could become more agressive.

Once a yellow Dick, always a yellow Dick. He'll be as conservative as ever.

After 8 years, can I buy a "NO"?

Wasn't this the burning question going into last offseason? I know he was given a little slack with Fairchild leaving and Schonert stepping in, but the general question was the same. Unfortunately, the answer will remain the same again next year barring a complete change of direction from Ralph, which won't happen.

As a person who has been a boss, for many years, I can tell you, the transition that Coughlin made is easier to pull off, than what you propose Jauron has to do. If you are a hard ass like TC was, your players may not like you, but they fear you, and, ultimately, respect you if they want to keep their job. Once you set that tone, and then loosen things up a little, guys appreciate it, and start to see you as maybe a little more likeable, but, someone you know you don't want to take for granted, or take advantage of.

What Jauron has going for him right now, is, we hear, his players love him...he is a "good man", a player's coach...if he toughens up to pre-Super Bowl Cougling level, guys will just join in the chourus of people who can't believe he still has a job....ultimately, Jauron's style won't change, IMO. The things he can change, and needs to change (IMO) will be more specific to the game itself...he has to make this team he has assembled, want to win, and believe they can win. He has to pick up his own game, before they will... and he has to find a way, through his coaching, to put his players in a better position to win games. Jauron is a smart guy, we are told, so my only hope is, he can at least do this, and maybe, just maybe, things will fall into place...

I think the biggest thing Juaron could do to help the Team is let Edwards call his own plays - it would immediately solve some of those time management problems- Edwards is suppose to very bright, give him 12 plays or so and let him go to work- If someone sees something crazy from the box call a time-out and get you super-genius play in, make adjustments at halftime, it's football not freaken Rocket science.