Bills looking to trade Peters

AlbanyBill

I'm thinking that the Bills signed what's his name to add some depth at OT as they get ready to move Peters. My thinking is that the Bills and Ralph "Mr Cheap" Wilson won't be willing to pay what he will demand after his contract is up in 2 years. I'm not sure they will trade him this offseason but next year, IMO, they will definitely shop him. I'm not so sure I would be too upset. He is good but he is going to want big $ and I'm not exactly sure he's worth it. If we could get a 1st round pick I'd be happy. thoughts?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but you don't build a championship team by trading away your best players for unknowns.

Yeah, but it's better than letting them just walk away in free agency with nothing to show for it (as the Bills have done for years). All I'm saying if Peters is going to go one way or the other, we might as well get something in return. I just can't see the Bills paying the $ he is going to demand on the free market.

Yeah, but it's better than letting them just walk away in free agency with nothing to show for it (as the Bills have done for years). All I'm saying if Peters is going to go one way or the other, we might as well get something in return. I just can't see the Bills paying the $ he is going to demand on the free market.

He's under contract for two more seasons.

I seriously doubt this would ever happen with a player of his caliber at his position. This is not a replaceable skill position guy. If it does happen though we'll all know for sure that there is no hope of the Bills fielding a consistent winner on the field, atleast until ownership changes.

Those teams had Peyton Manning.

BTW, Marshall won one too.

He traded away Faulk after Mannings ROOKIE year. He turned over the LT position to Tony Ugoh, a rookie, last season.

Jason Peters is not a Pro Bowl player. He wasn't last year, he isn't this season. He's far more likely to come up small in big situations than not, as evidenced time and time again when the BILLS struggle in short yardage and never more obvious than on 2nd down last weekend when he didn't even get out of his stance on the most crucial play of the game.

The only thing guaranteed with Peters is he'll always have the potential to be great but it's far more likely that he'll get a huge contract and go back to his terribly inconsistent play, disappointing when it means the most.

I seriously doubt this would ever happen with a player of his caliber at his position. This is not a replaceable skill position guy. If it does happen though we'll all know for sure that there is no hope of the Bills fielding a consistent winner on the field, atleast until ownership changes.

Langston Walker looked just fine over there... If you move him, then you just have to replace the easier to fill RT spot. Not saying i would trade peters at all, but if the right offer came through the phone, i'd pull the trigger. (Based on our draft performance as of late, I'd prefer proven NFL talent over draft picks) :thumbsup:

He traded away Faulk after Mannings ROOKIE year. He turned over the LT position to Tony Ugoh, a rookie, last season.

Jason Peters is not a Pro Bowl player. He wasn't last year, he isn't this season. He's far more likely to come up small in big situations than not, as evidenced time and time again when the BILLS struggle in short yardage and never more obvious than on 2nd down last weekend when he didn't even get out of his stance on the most crucial play of the game.

The only thing guaranteed with Peters is he'll always have the potential to be great but it's far more likely that he'll get a huge contract and go back to his terribly inconsistent play, disappointing when it means the most.

In fairness, I think that was a situation forced on him due to the unexpected retirement of their existing LT. Credit for drafting someone that could fill in as a rookie, but I'd suggest that they would have preferred not having a rookie LT las season.

Getting rid of your top players is not the way to improve. We better get great value on any trade. At least a first and second rounder as well as some late round pick. And thats a min. That pick will be needed to select the next LT, so only one pick is a disgrace.

I'm thinking that the Bills signed what's his name to add some depth at OT as they get ready to move Peters. My thinking is that the Bills and Ralph "Mr Cheap" Wilson won't be willing to pay what he will demand after his contract is up in 2 years. I'm not sure they will trade him this offseason but next year, IMO, they will definitely shop him. I'm not so sure I would be too upset. He is good but he is going to want big $ and I'm not exactly sure he's worth it. If we could get a 1st round pick I'd be happy. thoughts?

We should move Evans, Lynch, Edwards, McGee, McKelvin and Stroud too. I mean they could get first or 2nd round picks too.

We should move Evans, Lynch, Edwards, McGee, McKelvin and Stroud too. I mean they could get first or 2nd round picks too.

I'm not saying I would make the move. I'm just saying if the right offer came along to make sure we could get a high round pick or two, I would do it before he signed with someone else in FA and we're left holding our d**ks. you know what I'm saying?

stupid move -he is our best O lineman and signed for 2 yrs. No--not stupid move--IDIOT move. Its not like we are swimming in O line talent.

He turned over the LT position to Tony Ugoh, a rookie, last season.

AD, Tony Ugoh, who is very good, was drafted (10th pick/2nd round) as a Guard. He was thrown in at LT due to the unforseen and to this day unexplained retirement of Tarik Glenn (1st round pick). I must admit, it worked well.

Things really can go smooth when a team focuses on the trenches instead of gadget players and defensive backs. Polian drafted lots of early dbs, but not until he had already built his team. In fact, he didn't draft Manning until after he had Glenn and Meadows at OT, and I am almost sure that Harrison was already there as well.

You are right about what you said wrt talent in the NFL. It really is closer than it appears from team to team, but Dick Levy used our best picks (our best shot at getting talented players)on defensive backs. There isn't one team in the history of the NFL who won a superbowl when their best unit on the team was the secondary. The Raiders secondary in superbowl XI was their strongest unit on defense, but their OL was probably the best n league history.

Btw, while I can see your point to a very small degree about trading Peters, it wouldn't work. Dick Levy would try to replace him from the scrap heap as is our history. Jason himself is a UDFA. We would get too little for the pick and use it on a corner.

No, they need to pay Peters. He is a tremendous player; the Bills need a Coach/GM.

Hardly an idiot move. Well, let me clarify.

If we had a savvy front office who I trusted to bring in a good replacement or build a good line, I would have no problem dealing Peters now while his value is highest. Detroit just got a FIRST, THIRD AND SIXTH for Roy Williams, who isn't nearly regarded at his position in the light Peters is at his. You can build a good line quickly through the draft and/or smart free agent pickups. You don't need big-name, highly-paid "stars." If the Bills had guys who knew what they were doing in key positions within the organization, Peters wouldn't be even close to "untouchable." In fact, I'd venture to think they'd consider him a key asset that could yield the franchise a windfall of first day picks.

A smart front office, better quarterbacking, good coaching and Peters is ABSOLUTELY expendable, especially considering he's going to be a problem again this coming summer.

Unfortunately, we have none of the above. So I'd resist dealing him for now.

If we had a savvy front office who I trusted to bring in a good replacement or build a good line, I would have no problem dealing Peters now while his value is highest. Detroit just got a FIRST, THIRD AND SIXTH for Roy Williams, who isn't nearly regarded at his position in the light Peters is at his. You can build a good line quickly through the draft and/or smart free agent pickups. You don't need big-name, highly-paid "stars." If the Bills had guys who knew what they were doing in key positions within the organization, Peters wouldn't be even close to "untouchable." In fact, I'd venture to think they'd consider him a key asset that could yield the franchise a windfall of first day picks.

A smart front office, better quarterbacking, good coaching and Peters is ABSOLUTELY expendable, especially considering he's going to be a problem again this coming summer.

Great post.

He's probably one of the cheapest starting LTs in the league. No, they won't trade him.

What's the over/under on how many games he holds out next year....cheap only matters if he's on the field.

Explore all options, IMO. Someone might overpay for a OLT to the point it makes sense to look at a trade.

Hit it on the head, Lurker. EXPLORE ALL OPTIONS. If the Bills aren't willing to go where he wanted to LAST summer on contract demands, I'd move him ASAP before those demands go even HIGHER this off-season, and you lose any trade leverage you might have.

Because of Ralph-imposed salary constraints, the Bills need to operate like the Oakland A's. Like it or not, Billy Beane's "Moneyball" approach applies to the Bills. They need to move Peters and his soon-to-be monster salary for plenty of just-as-valuable assets before his star starts to fade... as it undoubtedly did this year.

Is the guy markedly better than anyone a savvy front office couldn't bring in? I say no. But again, we don't have one of those, so I'd resist moving him right now.

Ralph Kiner goes into his bosses office to demand a salary increase with the Pirates. He says he wants more money or he wont play.

His boss told him "I came in last place with you and I can come in last place WITHOUT you."

Bye bye Reuben....er....Jason.

I dunno, GOTR - we could get a whole bunch of d-backs for FatBoy. :thumbsup:

good left tackles don't grow on trees. I say pay him now before his value goes up any more. make as much of the $$ contingent on performance, whatever. I'm tired of seeing winfield and williams in the pro bowl when cheapo ralph could have easily kept both of them. I am sick of losing. Keep your best players. Spend right up to the cap, Ralph, you cheap SOB. And suck it up and pay Crowell too. No more waiting for draft choices to mature. We have enough of those. Lets win some games.

Buffalo will sign him to as large and extended contract this offseason. No way are they stupid enough to trade him away.

Peters has been awful this year, watch the tape of the 2nd and 5 play vs the Jets.....look at who gives the 'OLAY when the linebacker comes off the edge.....Peters has looked horrible all year. Lynchs best runs have been to the Walker side. They have not been able to run over Peters/Dockery at ALL this year!!!!

Peters was a deserving Pro Bowl player last year, no doubt about that. He is still the top run blocking LT in the league. His pass blocking has been really average, but he is a very good player who is having a bad season because he's not very intelligent and made some bad decisions last offseason. He should be back to form next season, although I think he would be much more effective at RT if the Bills were able to move him back there. You don't let a player like that go. Hell, he could still be here and producing 3 head coaches from now.

your logic would make more sense if he were to be a free agent after theis season or the upcoming season

Know what I love? How all these articles are being written about how "humbled" and "overwhelmed" Peters is about being chosen to the Pro Bowl, but the second he gets it from the media that some fans are questioning the choice, he lambastes all of us for basically knowing nothing about football and how he's happy the choice gets to be made by people who know what they're doing.

It might be true, it might not.

But is that HUMBLE???

This guy's a douche.

your logic would make more sense if he were to be a free agent after theis season or the upcoming season

Thats why I said they will try to trade him during next offseason. I'm not saying it is a great idea, just saying, like it or not, the Bills FO has shown that they will not pay to keep great players here (we can debate all day whether Peters is great, but thats for another time) and rather than let him walk in 2 years after he is a FA, i would hope they get a couple day one picks for him.

Because of Ralph-imposed salary constraints, the Bills need to operate like the Oakland A's. Like it or not, Billy Beane's "Moneyball" approach applies to the Bills. They need to move Peters and his soon-to-be monster salary for plenty of just-as-valuable assets before his star starts to fade... as it undoubtedly did this year.

This is what I'm saying.

This is absolutley absurd. You simply don't trade franchise players, you don't trade your best players and you don't trade a star left tackle. Ridiciulous. Decent LTs are hard to come by, let alone dominant ones. There's a reason LT is the second highest paid position: it's the second most important position.