Bills looking to trade Peters

AlbanyBill

Let's examine this from Jason Peters perspective.... He wants a new contract or fat extension, so what are his options? His ONLY option is another holdout, and frankly he is stuck in quicksand again because the Buffalo Bills made him "happy" once upon a time 3 years ago! The prevailing sentiment at One Bills Drive is that they don't have to pay Peters a nickel until he proves that he is willing to play first, then negotiate when he's in camp. The Bills said this all along during OTA's, camp, and just prior to the regular season. Who won? The Bills gained the upper hand because another lengthy holdout, this year, will undoubtedly cause the two sides to really entrench themselves and in that scenario no one wins!! The other factor Jason better come to grips with is that Walter Jones got franchised something like 5 times by the Seahawks, so the Bills really have quite the hammer in any further ploys Jasons' people might come up with. The final bit of the equation is that Peters proved that his own self-motivation to stay in shape during a holdout was next to nonexistant! It's his career, let's see if he's smart enough to report and play for his pay this offseason. My personal response would be no to the likelihood.....

Peters and Lynch are the two best players an offense and you morons are talking about getting rid of one of them. the problem could have been fixed last winter by paying the guy, but they'd rather lock up crappy football players like schobel and kelsay. remember one thing Lombardi always said "there's no substitute for talent"

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you remember, all of those you mentioned were not worth the money they sought, and we were right in not overpaying for them, as will be the case with Peters.

Jason Peters is not Will Wolford, or even a John Fina... he's a guy that is not a team player, not a stud, and someone will unceremoniously overpay for the guy. You may THINK signing Peters is the right move, but many of us completely disagree. We have lost the last 9 years because of our QUARTERBACK position, and everyone knows it. You could have had AIKMAN's o-line back there, and Losman, Bledsoe, Rob Johnson, Flutie, et al. STILL would have failed. Why is that so hard to see?

Your post lost all credibility when you implied Will Wolford was a team player. He had just played in 3 SB's with the team and dropped a poison pill on them so he could play for a terrible team in Indy. The deal he signed with Indy was structured so that the Bills could not match, but instead would have to pay him MILLIONS more per season for the Bills to keep him. That would be like Peters turning down $10M per year to play for the Bills to play for $5M per elsewhere. Team player? More like despicable.

Your post lost all credibility when you implied Will Wolford was a team player. He had just played in 3 SB's with the team and dropped a poison pill on them so he could play for a terrible team in Indy. The deal he signed with Indy was structured so that the Bills could not match, but instead would have to pay him MILLIONS more per season for the Bills to keep him. That would be like Peters turning down $10M per year to play for the Bills to play for $5M per elsewhere. Team player? More like despicable.

His credibility was out the window when likened Jason Peters to John Fina.

I like Peters but in the abstract I would trade anybody if I thought the trade would benefit the team.

the evaluation would be how much do I think Jason Peters helps the team, what am I being offered, and what I think I have or can get to fill Peters position.

If you think Peters is overrated, that you are being offered a lot, and that someone like Bell is going to be a star, or that you can find a good left tackle in free agency, then you trade Peters.

of course the concrete problem is that I don't think the Bills are very good at evaluating talent, either college or pro or even their own players- how many times has a better player only gotten to play because injury forced the Bills hand

I like Peters but in the abstract I would trade anybody if I thought the trade would benefit the team.

If the Bills were to trade Peters, it's highly unlikely that you would be able to say on the surface it would help this team the way the personnel department has been run. The likelihood is that it would be a handful of draft picks, which the Bills might very well misuse. I am a big believer in quantity of draft picks being a good thing, but if this team were to trade him for picks I would want to see a personnel department that knows how to maximize their picks. Example: trading Peters for the 8th pick in the draft might look good on paper........until they draft Donte Whitner with that pick.

"He has a "me-first" mentality in a team-oriented, blue collar town like buffalo."

What on earth does this have to do with winning football games? If he can play, he can play, if he can't, he can't. Whether or not your perception of his personality clashes with your perception of the personality of a whole City, as if that can be gauged, is irrelevant to the only goal at stake here: winning football games.

Whether ot not a guy is a jerk, as long as he avoids suspensions, means nothing on the field.

Are you looking to assemble an interesting guest list at a tea party or to beat the crap out of our opponents on Sunday? This obsession with personalities we like and don't like is what I would expect if we were selecting next year's edition of the Jills. When did the board get taken over by teenage girls?

The Peters hate is a direct result of the negative attacks on Peters published at Brandon's direction from OBD.

The fans have bought Brandon's spin hook, line and sinker and have crucified Peters since.

Since the team is devoid of talent, it may make sense to hold the front office accountable for the lack of playmakers on this team - and it refusal to pay market rates to its only ProBowler

Peters and Lynch are the two best players an offense and you morons are talking about getting rid of one of them. the problem could have been fixed last winter by paying the guy, but they'd rather lock up crappy football players like schobel and kelsay. remember one thing Lombardi always said "there's no substitute for talent"

your crazy--pay a guy that doesn't show up or even tell us what he wants. then he shows up before week1 so he can't miss a paycheck. how many DE's have come around his end? how many penalties have been called on him? He's too cocky. No way he gets big money this year--i won't be happy.

your crazy--pay a guy that doesn't show up or even tell us what he wants. then he shows up before week1 so he can't miss a paycheck. how many DE's have come around his end? how many penalties have been called on him? He's too cocky. No way he gets big money this year--i won't be happy.

like I said - a product of the propoganda from OBD

they didn't know what he wanted - sure, this one is the biggest indictment of the low IQ level of Bills fans.

Brandon knew full well what Peters wanted

- he found out when in January when he told Peters he would not be getting his deal re-done

The Peters hate is a direct result of the negative attacks on Peters published at Brandon's direction from OBD.

The fans have bought Brandon's spin hook, line and sinker and have crucified Peters since.

Since the team is devoid of talent, it may make sense to hold the front office accountable for the lack of playmakers on this team - and it refusal to pay market rates to its only ProBowler

Great post. Brandon's a marketing guy at heart, and clearly understands how to sell a bad product to a fan base. Selling 56k season tickets for a team without the a playoff appearance in 8 years was impressive. But now his work becomes even more difficult with this latest disaster of a season. I have no doubt that the front office will look for a way to negate the Peters' Pro Bowl selection and prevent another contract disupte.

After reading that Trent texts DJ to show his support, I believe the front office will do anything to get the fans to go along with their thinking. Someone in the marketing/PR departments is behind linking the starting QB to the also-ran HC who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. But it's too true of the Bills, who rely on propoganda to get fans into the seats. Whether it's supporting DJ or trying to put down Peters, it's what Buffalo's front office does best.

If only they approached team-building as aggressive as they try to spin this team.

Let's examine this from Jason Peters perspective.... He wants a new contract or fat extension, so what are his options? His ONLY option is another holdout, and frankly he is stuck in quicksand again because the Buffalo Bills made him "happy" once upon a time 3 years ago! The prevailing sentiment at One Bills Drive is that they don't have to pay Peters a nickel until he proves that he is willing to play first, then negotiate when he's in camp. The Bills said this all along during OTA's, camp, and just prior to the regular season. Who won? The Bills gained the upper hand because another lengthy holdout, this year, will undoubtedly cause the two sides to really entrench themselves and in that scenario no one wins!! The other factor Jason better come to grips with is that Walter Jones got franchised something like 5 times by the Seahawks, so the Bills really have quite the hammer in any further ploys Jasons' people might come up with. The final bit of the equation is that Peters proved that his own self-motivation to stay in shape during a holdout was next to nonexistant! It's his career, let's see if he's smart enough to report and play for his pay this offseason. My personal response would be no to the likelihood.....

The Bills gained nothing and lost Peters for all of camp, a chunk of games and the time it took for him to get to top speed. And the cost to Peters was whPat? He just made the pro bowl, again. He is just as marketable as ever. They have the entire offseason to negotiate with him, no need to wait for camp. And being franchised means a huge raise for Peters. Some hammer. Jeez, why do so many fans get so worked up and involved in contract negotiations? Acting like jilted lovers every time a guy holds out, a regular occurrence here and with every other team in the league. Yet every time it happens, there is a board wide hissy fit.

That's a great thought. Hope all of our good players stage a silent hold out next year, come in out of shape and contribute from around game 5 or 6. Screw the team, its me first from now on. Put free agents and rookies in the line up for games one through six. Yeah, sounds good to me...

There isn't a guy on that team that isn't out to get the best paycheck for himself that he can get. Not one. And all this crap about a silent holdout is and always was dribble. They knew what he wanted and didn't want to give it to him so he did the only thing a player can ever do, hold out.

This isn't a charity, these are not boy scouts banding together to build a camp. These are professional athletes with painfully short careers. Guys whose names you will forget long before their last knee surgery.

There isn't a guy on that team that isn't out to get the best paycheck for himself that he can get. Not one. And all this crap about a silent holdout is and always was dribble. They knew what he wanted and didn't want to give it to him so he did the only thing a player can ever do, hold out.

This isn't a charity, these are not boy scouts banding together to build a camp. These are professional athletes with painfully short careers. Guys whose names you will forget long before their last knee surgery.

I vote for you as the new GM. With your vision and a boatload of money we'll be bankrupt in no time and probably in LA or Toronto within a year...On the bright side all of the players will be very happy...

Peters has been awful this year, watch the tape of the 2nd and 5 play vs the Jets.....look at who gives the 'OLAY when the linebacker comes off the edge.....Peters has looked horrible all year. Lynchs best runs have been to the Walker side. They have not been able to run over Peters/Dockery at ALL this year!!!!

this was discussed by the coaches, it wasn't his man that got JP. it wasn't peteres responsibility

they didn't know what he wanted - sure, this one is the biggest indictment of the low IQ level of Bills fans.

- he found out when in January when he told Peters he would not be getting his deal re-done

please point out what OBD has posted here about peters, what did they say onVcaoch or billsdaily? what negative was written in Bills digest? what negative are in the game programs. if you are going to make these claims then explain where you are getting it from.

please point out what OBD has posted here about peters, what did they say onVcaoch or billsdaily? what negative was written in Bills digest? what negative are in the game programs. if you are going to make these claims then explain where you are getting it from.

It's what's referred to as a, "leak."

The Bills gained nothing and lost Peters for all of camp, a chunk of games and the time it took for him to get to top speed. And the cost to Peters was whPat? He just made the pro bowl, again. He is just as marketable as ever. They have the entire offseason to negotiate with him, no need to wait for camp. And being franchised means a huge raise for Peters. Some hammer. Jeez, why do so many fans get so worked up and involved in contract negotiations? Acting like jilted lovers every time a guy holds out, a regular occurrence here and with every other team in the league. Yet every time it happens, there is a board wide hissy fit.
I wonder the same thing. And, these guys think Wilson/Brandon "won" and it's over. :wallbash:

I think they fined him $560K.

I heard the deal wasn't even discussed at the endof the season, where do you get this from? people with low IQ's make sh-- up and thats you. How are they to know when he refuses to communicate. Again what media did obd put out there? you haven't proven that to me. are you a conspiracy theorist- we did lad on the moon buddy.

Great post. Brandon's a marketing guy at heart, and clearly understands how to sell a bad product to a fan base. Selling 56k season tickets for a team without the a playoff appearance in 8 years was impressive. But now his work becomes even more difficult with this latest disaster of a season. I have no doubt that the front office will look for a way to negate the Peters' Pro Bowl selection and prevent another contract disupte.

After reading that Trent texts DJ to show his support, I believe the front office will do anything to get the fans to go along with their thinking. Someone in the marketing/PR departments is behind linking the starting QB to the also-ran HC who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. But it's too true of the Bills, who rely on propoganda to get fans into the seats. Whether it's supporting DJ or trying to put down Peters, it's what Buffalo's front office does best.

If only they approached team-building as aggressive as they try to spin this team.

The real interesting thing about Brandon is that he developed his marketing genius as head of spin control for the cheapest organization in all of pro sports - the Florida Marlins BASEBALL team.

As noted in Larry Felser's article, the Bills problems have all historically been rooted in Ralph's misguided adventures with hiring non-football people to run his team.

It's bad enough to put a marketing guy in charge, but when his background is baseball, the writing is on the wall as to what the focus of the Bills is (and it sure isn't building a contender)

Thanks for the link, this article does not discuss anything about contract extensions being discussed after last season. if people are saying the bills are leaking info point it out, what is Russ Brandon's avatar on this? where are his leaks to other media types. Direct axamples or don't say it.

The real interesting thing about Brandon is that he developed his marketing genius as head of spin control for the cheapest organization in all of pro sports - the Florida Marlins BASEBALL team.

As noted in Larry Felser's article, the Bills problems have all historically been rooted in Ralph's misguided adventures with hiring non-football people to run his team.

It's bad enough to put a marketing guy in charge, but when his background is baseball, the writing is on the wall as to what the focus of the Bills is (and it sure isn't building a contender)

Citing the Marlins link is hilarious. They bought a title in 97, then totally dismantled nearly the entire team in 98. RB left after 97, and I'm sure he read the writing on the wall when the team was stripped down.

Felser is dead on again, but it will fall on deaf ears.

I agree completely here-Brandon's job isn't to find talent (they leave that to Guy and Modrak, with DJ making the picks) but rather to spin things into this team being legitimate. I will maintain until this team attains respectability or moves, that fans must educate themselves on how normal NFL franchises operate. Buffalo is not one of them and remains the one of the exceptions to how successful teams work. DET, KC, STL, OAK, and CIN are the others.

point out direct examples--all i am saying

Mark Felt says hello. The public finally learned his identity three years ago. The origin of leaks are unknown, but it depends on reading between the lines and having the savvy to understand why someone would leak something to the press. Felt had his reasons, and so do the Bills. Leaks will happen from both Peters' agent and the Bills. Sad to say, but Peters' agent is supposed to do this. Buffalo's front office should man up and begin negotiations. Instead they revert to playing games and hitting up their best player. Peters is no saint, but represents the closest thing they have to elite talent. Watching the Bills treat him like this is funny, because getting rid of him tells me they're not serious about winning. It says they want to remain mediocre and keep payroll down.

The Bills win another without Peters. In no way am I saying he is at fault for any losses, but this goes to the point that his presence is not necessary for victory. There are plenty of teams succeeding in the NFL without a "star" left tackle.

If I had any faith at all in the Bills front office, I would rather they move Peters for the bounty he'd likely attract and use the money they otherwise would have spent on him to bring in a couple legit NFL players on the D-line, O-line, linebacking corps, wherever. The Bills would be better off in the short- and long-run.

Problem is, I have no faith in the front office to pull off such a shrewd maneuver. But that doesn't change the fact that Peters is worth more to the Bills as an expendable asset than as a $9 million a year tackle they have done just fine without.

The Bills line needs upgrading. While I was upset with Peters for holding out na dtaking 6 + weeks to get into shape he is the best lineman we have which frankly isnt saying much. Buffalo needs an overhaul on our O- line.

C- Fowler is gone at seasons end, and Preston is improving but he has a long way to go.

LG- Dockery- I guess I expected more for 49 Million dollars.

RG- Butler- I dont know solid not flashy, but he seems more like a backup than a starter, he not a pile mover kind of guy

LT- Peters See above.

RT- Langston is a huge man, losing 20 -30 pounds might help his quickness, he doesnt have a nasty streak in him.

Switching Butler and Walker could also be interesting. More beef inside could be an interesting move.

Trading a 2x bro bowler like peters to a team that is rebuilding or willing to part with a 1st and 2nd or 2 1st rounders then I say move him and draft 2 linemen to replace him. BUt 4 God sake do your himework and dont find another Mike williams.

Trading a 2x bro bowler like peters to a team that is rebuilding or willing to part with a 1st and 2nd or 2 1st rounders then I say move him and draft 2 linemen to replace him. BUt 4 God sake do your himework and dont find another Mike williams.

There in lies your problem....You don't know what you have got in those draft picks...But you know what Peters can do...If Peters is paid this off season and is in the entire off season progarm, I see Peters being a very dominant player for your team...You just cannot draft another starting LT in the league.

The Bills need to first address their weak spots as in Center, Pass Rusher, Tight End before trying to break up what they have been building. The Bills expected their rookies to make contributions, but other than McKelvin, none of them have and I see the same problem next year....Next year we need Hardy, Johnson and McKelvin to make the next level and be starters on this team.

I'm thinking that the Bills signed what's his name to add some depth at OT as they get ready to move Peters. My thinking is that the Bills and Ralph "Mr Cheap" Wilson won't be willing to pay what he will demand after his contract is up in 2 years. I'm not sure they will trade him this offseason but next year, IMO, they will definitely shop him. I'm not so sure I would be too upset. He is good but he is going to want big $ and I'm not exactly sure he's worth it. If we could get a 1st round pick I'd be happy. thoughts?

Jason Peters for Julius Peppers

anything less you dont even think about :lol:

yeah lets have yet another set back for this team. If the front office dont get something done with him before next season, to hell with them all. Granted he had a rough start to the year holding out and all, but lets face it, hes our best OL. Peters has a point calling out the front office, they said they wont do any talks unless he reports, he reported and the front office has yet to hold up its end of the deal......

I wont be shocked if Jason Peters holds out yet again, but this time he will stand ground and WONT return.........

...and then he won't get paid!! :lol: If the Bills want to stick it to him, they could just do the same thing that did last year...get ready to play with who's there. Peters will work a new deal only if it works for both sides...he gets fair money and the Bills lock him up for an additional 4-5 years. Otherwise, he has no choice but to play out the current contract (disgruntledly) and then move on.

Ithink almost everyone who responded to this post does not understand what I am saying. Let me try to clarify- I'm not saying the Bills should trade Peters this offseason, even though he will undoubtedly hold out again and the team will suffer for it. I'm not saying it would be ideal for the Bills to trade Peters at all. All I'm saying is the Bills FO has shown in the past that they are willing to let great players walk rather than pay them what they demand in free agency and if that is the case, if the options are let Peters go for nothing or trade him and get a couple of day one draft picks for him, the choice is clear. Does anyone disagree with that?

I know we would all like to keep our great players but the fact is Mr. Wilson is a cheapskate who won't pay for real talent and I could see him letting Peters walk instead of paying top dollar to keep him. (even though he will overpay mediocre players like Schobel and Kelsay). That is all I'm trying to say.

Got it. And many of us think you are wrong. Ralph lets some talent go, and keeps other guys. If you look, you see that he lets older guys go (depending on the coach) and also defensive backfield guys. He's not always cheap at all. He signed Evans to a very high value contract, and he has been willing to pay high dollars for Langston Walker, Dockery, our DEs and many others. Ralph isn't a cheapskate. He makes value judgments and many times he listens to what his football guys tell him and does that. He doesn't always get it right, but it's not righ tto say he's a cheapskate.

LT is a very difficult position to fill. Ralph and the braintrust know this. The odds are very high that Peters will get a new contract this offseason when they can get a slight discount for the willingness to upgrade his pay over the next two years.

I see our favorite player Jason Peters isn't playing today. How convenient for him. Guess its officially vacation time till game one next September....Hope he feels better and can play in Hawaii with his Probowl buds...

Last year he missed the last game due to injury. This year he misses the last two games due to injury. He won't be going to Hawaii - all that matters is him getting nominated.

Jason Peters for Julius Peppers

anything less you dont even think about :blush:

Peppers is a free agent you can get him for cold hard cash- as for what Peters is worth on the open market, he's a probowl player at the second or third most important position- he's just turned 27 so he should have five or six prime years ahead- OTs often can play at a high level until their late 30s- the top 2 OTs in this years draft will probably both be gone in the first 4 picks and neither is the athlete Peters is- looking at these facts I say his value is at least at the average of the first 4 picks- go find a draft trade value chart and you'd get an Idea of what a team would have to give up for the Bills to trade Peters.

...and then he won't get paid!! :blush: If the Bills want to stick it to him, they could just do the same thing that did last year...get ready to play with who's there. Peters will work a new deal only if it works for both sides...he gets fair money and the Bills lock him up for an additional 4-5 years. Otherwise, he has no choice but to play out the current contract (disgruntledly) and then move on.

I love the way fans think the Bills have all this leverage to stick it too players. The Bills have limited talent. I can count the Bills' upper echelon players on one hand....Peters, Lynch, and Evans. If they want to keep some upper tier talent (which they rarely do) at a key position, they will show him the money.

If the Bills somehow think the team will take average-to-below average talent, apply some average to below average coaching, and somehow make it to the playoffs, they are seriously deluded.

Signing him won't be cheap, but I think it is in the best interest of the Bills to spend some big money on Jason Peters.

I love the way fans think the Bills have all this leverage to stick it too players. The Bills have limited talent. I can count the Bills' upper echelon players on one hand....Peters, Lynch, and Evans. If they want to keep some upper tier talent (which they rarely do) at a key position, they will show him the money.

If the Bills somehow think the team will take average-to-below average talent, apply some average to below average coaching, and somehow make it to the playoffs, they are seriously deluded.

Signing him won't be cheap, but I think it is in the best interest of the Bills to spend some big money on Jason Peters.

that's not how the Marlins did it when Brandon was there :blush: