A Few Thoughts About The Game

Well, you can understand his reasoning, can't you? I mean, if it didn't work last week, there's no way in hell it'll work this week, or ever again! Let's just never try to run the ball. Let's never try to project this image that we'll try to win a game by grasping it and taking it rather than pretend this is all like one of those scrimmages in July.

In fact, let's just forfeit the rest of our games while DJ is coach. It's just easier that way. Show up, hear somebody do the anthem, maybe show the Bills Shout song on the HD scoreboard, then go home. Everybody'll still get paid and nobody gets hurt.

Go to extremes, but freely admit that DJ picked many of the players that cannot allow him to go for it in short yardage.

It would be one thing if everyone was a holdover from a previous regime, but I can't help but fault the HC for not having the right players. He has too much personnel control and now can't convert in short yardage situations. So much so that we've returned to the Gilbride style of just throwing to avoid getting stuffed in the backfield.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to extremes, but freely admit that DJ picked many of the players that cannot allow him to go for it in short yardage.

It would be one thing if everyone was a holdover from a previous regime, but I can't help but fault the HC for not having the right players. He has too much personnel control and now can't convert in short yardage situations. So much so that we've returned to the Gilbride style of just throwing to avoid getting stuffed in the backfield.

Rather, DJ hasn't picked players or developed schemes that allow us to go for it on short yardage.

Screw bruiser fullbacks! Who needs'em... with their busting holes this and blocking tacklers that! Who wants run-blocking OL when there's DBs to be had?!!? We do have 'finesse' and 'technique.' That should count for something... right?

The worst play of the day 1st and 10. 21 tics first quarter against a 12 mph wind deep slant, picked why not run it get the wind and then pass, Hey Ralph you need me as a cosultant, I can do challanges and be in charge of not being boneheads like shotgun on third and one

$60,000.00 year plus travel (negotalble) why give up on the run? For Trent One more thing pull Hardy or Evans aside and say go deep ill throw it! Onc :blink::lol: e a game or so like you know street football. IM serious Ralph I am unemployed

WTF was that today?

here are a few of my observations:

1.) On Trent's first interception I noticed two things:

a. Lee Evans fears getting laid when. When have you you ever seen Lee Evans extend for a pass when up the middle? The answer to that would be... never. Lee Evans may have blazing speed, the agility of a gazelle, and excellent hands, but he has one, major flaw; he doesn't extend or dive for the ball.

b. Vince Wilfork is dirtier than a male jiggolo's nuts. After the pick, Wilfork totally blind sided Duke Preston and laid him out.

2.) The offensive playcalling today was uglier than this baby: http://www.weirdthings.org.uk/wp-content/u...an-its-ugly.jpg. The Bills can run the ball with 12 minutes left in the fourth, but they can't on third and one. Also, every time the Bills have had a second and one this year, they run it. Why not throw a bomb? Speaking of bombs, I thought Trent said Turk would call those a few times a game... He hasn't thrown one in two weeks.

3.) Lastly, Duke Preston couldn't block Cloris Leachman. I was watching him a few times today and the majority of the time Vince Wilfork absolutely manhandled him.

Someone should tell Dick Jauron and Turn Schonert that you PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. Why the hell are they punting on 4th and 3 at Pats 39 late in the first half? After the wasted timeout, it left them without enough timeouts to get the ball back.

Sadly it wasn't the only time they had 4th down in Patriots territory and decided to play it safe (e.g., not going for it on 4th and 1 from the 46 when they needed a score to have a chance to cut into the Patriots' lead).

You give your offense and your kicker the message that "We don't trust you to get the job done."

I was ticked off at Edwards for making some horribly inaccurate passes. I was disgusted by the receivers not running the right routes. But the namby pamby, fraidy scared coaching was the cherry on the crap sandwich served up by NE once again.

here are a few of my observations:

1.) On Trent's first interception I noticed two things:

a. Lee Evans fears getting laid when. When have you you ever seen Lee Evans extend for a pass when up the middle? The answer to that would be... never. Lee Evans may have blazing speed, the agility of a gazelle, and excellent hands, but he has one, major flaw; he doesn't extend or dive for the ball.

b. Vince Wilfork is dirtier than a male jiggolo's nuts. After the pick, Wilfork totally blind sided Duke Preston and laid him out.

2.) The offensive playcalling today was uglier than this baby: http://www.weirdthings.org.uk/wp-content/u...an-its-ugly.jpg. The Bills can run the ball with 12 minutes left in the fourth, but they can't on third and one. Also, every time the Bills have had a second and one this year, they run it. Why not throw a bomb? Speaking of bombs, I thought Trent said Turk would call those a few times a game... He hasn't thrown one in two weeks.

3.) Lastly, Duke Preston couldn't block Cloris Leachman. I was watching him a few times today and the majority of the time Vince Wilfork absolutely manhandled him.

Agreed on everything, but Trents picks were on him. I don't care how long Lee's arms are, it didn't matter. Sure he doesn't put himself out there to get balls but that was a horrible pass.

Judging by the overall tone of the board, that's pretty much the answer I expected. Unfortunately, I'll have to watch it at some point so I can write about it for the rematch in December ... but drinking heavily taking Prozac beforehand sounds like a good idea.

Fixed :w00t:

Preston is absolute garbage. When Butler comes back Fowler should be back in there too...weren't we 5-1 with him starting?

So, I just got home from work. Followed the score as best I could, but haven't seen a single play yet.

Should I bother?

You're lucky. I had plans to do a lot of things today and just DVR the game in the event that it wasn't a debacle. Unfortunately, I woke up sick and couldn't just lay on the couch and not watch the game. F*cked up, wasted day watching Jauron and the Bills get psyched out and not have a clue how the right themselves. I can't believe their offensive approach. I'd be much better off not having seen that crap.

4) Yep, Trent looked bad on the picks, especially the 2nd one. Still, he has as much courage as a player can have, and I have zero doubt that he will have a bright future, assuming he isn't destroyed by the non-existance of a decent center or even guard.

Already setting up excuses for Trent, eh? 0:)

6) I guess what bothers me the most is that there is no reason for our opponents to expect, or even suspect that it might be a physical contest. Jauron's little dbs that he craves so dearly held up through early October. After that, I suppose that a team needs some strength.

Really? The DBs held up through early October? Go back and look through your old posts - you were really happy with the way the lines were playing up until then.

9) Shot-gun on 3rd and 1? You go Jauron!

Blast the O-line, then complain when they try to compensate for it on a crucial play? :w00t:

Really? The DBs held up through early October? Go back and look through your old posts - you were really happy with the way the lines were playing up until then.

Weren't we all? Does the fact that it's now been exposed that the lines only play well against sh------- teams somehow prohibit him from being critical now?

I thought they played great against Seattle. Turns out that Seattle, a playoff team last year, is a fraud.

Weren't we all? Does the fact that it's now been exposed that the lines only play well against sh------- teams somehow prohibit him from being critical now?

I thought they played great against Seattle. Turns out that Seattle, a playoff team last year, is a fraud.

Turns out that Oakland is #9 in the league for sacks, and only got 1 against the Bills. Jacksonville has 25 sacks as well, and 2 against the Bills. The o-line hasn't only played well against teams with sh------- d-lines.

On the offensive side, Oakland is #9 in the league in rushing avg with 4.4, the Bills gave up 3.3. Jacksonville, who still has almost everyone injured, is still at #13 with 4.1, and the Bills gave up 3.6.

So, yeah, they did decently well to start the year against not all that sh------- of lines. They seem to have lost all cohesiveness and aren't scheming very well right now. They've never been good at run blocking, but they've lost pass blocking too somewhat.

Reminds me of a Mike Ditka quote I heard him say a while back, "You're never as good as you look, and you're never as bad as you look."

Jauron and co. did JP a huge favor. He doesn't realize it yet, but the chance to go to a team with good quality offensive coaches will put him a leg up on Trent.

I told my kids that JP is so lucky to be going to new team at the end of this season.

I know you will never say that this was what ruined JP, but this line is close.

4) Yep, Trent looked bad on the picks, especially the 2nd one. Still, he has as much courage as a player can have, and I have zero doubt that he will have a bright future, assuming he isn't destroyed by the non-existance of a decent center or even guard.

I can't belive how soft this team is. We did not lay glove on Cassel gave him all day to throw and we let Ben-Jose-Whats-Hisname run all over us. A 19 play friggin drive??? Beastmode?

But why should I get upset if these guys don't really want it. If they like to get their ass handed to them by Belicheat and the Pats* twice a year so be it. 3 division games in a row down the crapper and our starting QB is turnover factory. Friggin Miami is a better team than us this year. Think about that, a team that was 1-15 last year.

Thanks for the post Bill.

Poorly coached game on both sides of the ball for the Bills. (rush 4 AND cover deep ???)

Trent was horrible. Just really gun-shy and off target. HE missed a couple wide open (Hardy again) Wr's going down the field. I thought the pass protection was quite good save the one play by Chambers.

Run blocking was terrible. Again.

With all that said this was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. From the roughing on paper Randy (apparently) at the start of the game, to one of our DE's seemingly running in place and missing a sack because he was held right out in the open for 4 seconds flat without a hint of a call, right down to the "Defensive holding" call on Stroud and last to the onside kick that didn't even get a look by the "officials".