This is not what being a Bills fan is about

duey

Even if half of what these people said happened is true, and based on his injuries there is no reason to believe they are lying, this was an embarassing and shameful display. It's one thing to hear about Eagles and Jets fans doing this kind of thing, but for it to happen at the Ralph is very disappointing.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional...rticleid=164972

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a feeling that the Boston paper is only giving you one side of the story.  Who started throwing punches first?

820890[/snapback]

Regardless it's a gang of men attacking one guy who happens to be wearing the wrong colors. No way anybody tries to defend that you can't. That is a thug mentality; you'd think that only happened in the hood!

Regardless it's a gang of men attacking one guy who happens to be wearing the wrong colors. No way anybody tries to defend that you can't. That is a thug mentality; you'd think that only happened in the hood!

820892[/snapback]

Violence is everywhere, not just the "hood" (btw, I have a feeling that you agree).

This took place in a wealthy Long Island neighborhood.

Again, I don't think that a visiting fan should be the victim of group violence. This is cast in stone.

He does however seem to have injuries to his hands, and my guess is that he did not sustain them from being punched by in his hands by another person.

We were not there, but as I said in the other thread, common sense is also a good thing.

I might have seen some of this. We were in our SUV leaving the lot way over by the Kids' stadium. We were stuck in traffic of course and had three little 10 year olds & a 4 year old in the back seats. There was a big mob scene/fight going on in the next row. I couldn't see anyone in particular getting beaten on but one big kid with a Bills jersey had blood on the side of his face. There was probably ten or so 17-20 year olds and they were really tanked and wild. It was a disgrace. I was actually worried they might come over to our car as one drunken woman already punched our window for no reason (we are all Bills fans). The kids in the car were scared. We just kept the doors locked and tried to not make eye contact with the drunk lunatics all around us because they seemed jacked up after the melee. We just creeped along and finally got out of there. I have very young kids (under 2) and they will not be going to a Bills game with me until they are teenagers or i have club level seats. I have seen many fights in and around the stadium over the years and it's just ridiculous. My buddy had a Dolphins hat on one time (i urged him not to wear it) and someone came up from behond him and just sucker punched him in the head. he was a fairly quiet guy and was not doing anything. Just lunacy over there.

I thought the tone of the article was a bit over the top. "Mauled the Bills" "Cowardly mob" A photo of an obviously terrifed wife in front of......a church. I always thought newspapers were supposed to be objective.

I'm surprised that ESPN and other sports shows didnt play it up. Imagine- people acting violently at a football game, fighting, causing bodily injury. What is this, A Dartmouth-Holy Cross game!?

Oh the humanity!

Sad, if even partially true, but it is the Boston Herald and therefore not to be taken as Gospel - particular the phrase, "screamed for help and begged the cowardly mob to stop."

I was at a Bills-Pats game in Foxboro a few years back, wearing a Flutie jersey, and was pelted by cans and bottles as I walked through the parking lot - and this was before the game. And I was doing nothing and saying nothing that would provoke - just walking to the facilities and minding my own business.

Now I guess maybe I was 'asking for it' by wearing the Bills' colors - even though I thought they liked Flutie there in his home town - and I lived in Boston for 7 years so I know that most Patriots fans are a$$holes. Didn't really mind the insults hurled my way, though the invective seemed much more malicious than I've experience in any other stadium, but the projectiles were frightening and obviously meant to cause harm.

Curious that the game was 10 days ago, and the couple is just going to the tabloids now - and the Herald is a tabloid. This 'story' doesn't 'pass the smell test' - and doesn't seem like Buffalo. Clearly a lawsuit against the Bills is 'in the works'.

Maybe this guy is just an innocent, but maybe he was the provocateur.

I wanna know more.

i've been to a ton of Bills games, and I never recall ever seeing someone in the other teams colors and a bunch of people just yell "Get Him!" That story is def sensationalized and i agree with NYC Bill that it is peculiar that the only injuries he really sustained were to his hands. If a mob was beating you, wouldn't you have busted ribs, other contusions etc.... and a black eye doesn't appear and disappear in 6 days.

two sides to every story. This story was pretty one sided. With that being said, most nfl stadiums are like this. It is not just a buffalo thing. Wasnt it pittsburgh a few years back wear a raider fan almost got beaten to death in the bathrooms?

My buddy had a Dolphins hat on one time (i urged him not to wear it) and someone came up from behond him and just sucker punched him in the head.  he was a fairly quiet guy and was not doing anything. Just lunacy over there.

820910[/snapback]

Unfortunately it happens. Walking back to my car after the cowsluts beat our Bills a couple years ago a guy is driving on his way out of the lot. I'm walking on the curb with my wife inside of me. Dude slows down a little and sucker punches me and speeds away. My offense? Wearing a Bills hat. Night was a total waste seeing as how we lost the friggin game.

Even if half of what these people said happened is true, and based on his injuries there is no reason to believe they are lying, this was an embarassing and shameful display.  It's one thing to hear about Eagles and Jets fans doing this kind of thing, but for it to happen at the Ralph is very disappointing.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional...rticleid=164972

820886[/snapback]

WOW. Unbelievable.

That's just disgusting. Period.

i've been to a ton of Bills games, and I never recall ever seeing someone in the other teams colors and a bunch of people just yell "Get Him!"  That story is def sensationalized and i agree with NYC Bill that it is peculiar that the only injuries he really sustained were to his hands.  If a mob was beating you, wouldn't you have busted ribs, other contusions etc.... and a black eye doesn't appear and disappear in 6 days.

820918[/snapback]

Me either, but let's not act naive and say that it couldn't happen. Walking to the stadium around Pinto Kenny's we were behind 5 Patriots fans and they were taking some verbal insults all along that little service road. No big deal, really.

Then, comes some charging, drunk, moron, who decided to throw his mostly full beer can at the pack of Pats fans, and hit a 30 something lady in the back of the head. The 3 dudes turned and saw like 30 or so Bills fans laughing and couldnt' really do much.

Thankfully, when the lady starting bleeding, another Bills fan went up to that dude who threw the can and punched him in the back of head. HARD. The drunk went down. The man who hit the drunk was the drunks brother, and came up and tried to help the Pats' fan....but they went up toward the stadium pretty pissed. Don't know what happened from there, but at least the drunk was decked by a Bills fan.

Idiots.

i've been to a ton of Bills games, and I never recall ever seeing someone in the other teams colors and a bunch of people just yell "Get Him!"

820918[/snapback]

I have. San Francisco game, 1998, first win of the season. I'll never forget it. I really thought I was going to see a murder. Some Bills fan had a guy with a Brent Young jersey in a headlock after the game and was repeatedly slamming the side of his head against the asphalt on the ramp coming from the upper deck. People were cheering him on. I really thought he was going to die. Another game, can't remember which year, I saw a Bills fan shove a Dolphins fan down the stairs. Just reached out and shoved him and the guy went tumbling. Really hilarious.

The point is, every group of fans have absolute a-holes in them who can get downright scary when liquored up, whether it be Philly, Oakland, New England or Buffalo.

He said, she said.    Sounds like BS to me.  The lawyers will be the only winners, anyway.

820946[/snapback]

I am sure that the story is not all true, but I bet you that it actually happened.

I would say that probably half of the people that attend the games hate their lives, hate that they are stuck living in WNY, and really are just low lives in general. Combine that with booze and a horrible football team, and things like this happen.

Violence is everywhere, not just the "hood" (btw, I have a feeling that you agree).

820903[/snapback]

Of course I do; I was trying to be a little sarcastic. You'd think that since it so costly these days to be able to afford to go and park at an NFL stadium that those who are able to attend would definitely have more class to not display such conduct as most would be career oriented people or a little money and wouldn't dare risk their livelihoods and the risk of being sued over a stinking football game! When such gang attacks do occur the image that goes thru most peoples minds is that of "thugs in da hood" but it happens a lot more at sports stadiums across America than most think!

Sad, if even partially true, but it is the Boston Herald and therefore not to be taken as Gospel - particular the phrase, "screamed for help and begged the cowardly mob to stop."

I was at a Bills-Pats game in Foxboro a few years back, wearing a Flutie jersey, and was pelted by cans and bottles as I walked through the parking lot - and this was before the game.  And I was doing nothing and saying nothing that would provoke - just walking to the facilities and minding my own business.

Now I guess maybe I was 'asking for it' by wearing the Bills' colors - even though I thought they liked Flutie there in his home town - and I lived in Boston for 7 years so I know that most Patriots fans are a$$holes.  Didn't really mind the insults hurled my way, though the invective seemed much more malicious than I've experience in any other stadium, but the projectiles were frightening and obviously meant to cause harm.

Curious that the game was 10 days ago, and the couple is just going to the tabloids now - and the Herald is a tabloid. This 'story' doesn't 'pass the smell test' - and doesn't seem like Buffalo.  Clearly a lawsuit against the Bills is 'in the works'.

Maybe this guy is just an innocent, but maybe he was the provocateur.

I wanna know more.

820916[/snapback]

This is inexcusable. Bills fans are better than that.

I have been to The Ralph and Foxboro / The Razor and I can tell you that if you are looking for drunk, violent thugs, Foxboro is the place to be.

I lived in Boston for most of my life and I caught hell at Foxboro every year. I was hit with bottles in the parking lot and batteries in the stands. I've had beer and cups thrown at me and had more than a few scuffles with drunk townies as well. For the life of me I don't understand why people think it is OK to act that way.

If the Herald really wants to document the behavior of drunken thugs they should have one of their reporters take a walk through the parking lots at the razor before and after a Pats game.

The Pats are a great team but their fans are know-nothing band wagon jumpers and drunk thugs.

Let me say that in 204 where I'm at, it was like 50/50 Bills-Pats fans. Two rows behind me there was a group of about 10 Pats fans doing their best to cause trouble by agitating the home crowd. They were really over the top in being obnoxious. So this kind of stuff goes both ways

I have no idea if that actually happened the way it was reported, but the photo of the guy and his wife outside a church takes the cake for sensational journalism. What's up with the low-angle shot? The pensive look on the wife's face is classic. Honey, the bad guys are gone...you're safe now.

This is sooo weird.

I have never seen a fight in the parking lot before or after a game, home or away.

Nor do I want to.

The closest I ever came to getting any abuse was in 1992 at the Miami game in Miami with my twin daughters. We were coming down the escalator after the game and this lady behind us kept yelling, "what's that frickin awful smell, is it Buffalo Schit?" My daughers kept turning around and smiling at her. That pissed her off even more.

What's even more amazing is that I've never seen a physical altercation anywhere, ever....except boxing on TV.

I really wonder about the other side of the story, but this doesn't surprise me, especially with all the drinking that goes on at games. Between the people getting drunk tailgating before the game and drinking during the game this is not surprising, and it won't be eliminated until they ban drinking (like what they did at the Jets game last season I think) I don't understand why people would spend all that money to go to the game, and get so drunk they don't remember/get to enjoy the full game (its the same as getting so drunk or stoned at a concert) If I am looking to get drunk, I will pick up a case of beer and go home/to a buddys house, or go to a bar where it is going to cost me less then a game ticket to get in and drink.

The Boston media is going to make this guy out to be a completly innocent victim in this when no one is sure exactly what happened. The have them pictured infront of a church (which we all know the Pats fans only attend the church of Bruschi) and keep repeating how they were just minding there own buisness and that his wife was pregnant. (good thing this wasn't Philly, they probably would have beat her up too) The story doesn't quite add up. Theres no black eye in the photo, and besides having his hands bandaged, he doesn't look all that injured.

If its true, it is dispicable, If this is something that the Boston media has fabricated then that is also dispicable.

I agree, this story smells of BS. They should of just tipped the portapotti when he was in it & then left it at that. My buddies did that the one time at the allentown art festival about 10yrs ago. Funny as hell. To this day I wont go in one of those things after seeing that.

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that this happened (at least in part, I agree it may not have happened as the article stated) or the fact that people here are trying to make excuses for it. There is no excuse. It reminds me a little of the Miami fight durign the game and everyone here saying how bad those guys were and should be in jail, etc. And the players excuse was...we're just defending ourselves. That was deplorable behavior and so is this.

As some have stated, this goes on at all stadiums. But, I think people should stop trying to say how much worse Foxboro is or Philly; apparently Buffalo is just as bad as any of them.

I've always watched idiots rioting in the streets after their team finally wins the Super Bowl/Stanley Cup/World Series/etc. and I've always wondered would Buffalo fans put on such a moronic display if the Bills win a Super Bowl. I guess now I have my answer. And as happy as I'll be that day, it will be diminished to see fires and looting in the streets with the excuse that we were just celebrating.

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that this happened (at least in part, I agree it may not have happened as the article stated) or the fact that people here are trying to make excuses for it.  There is no excuse.

I hear ya. I'm reading this thread wondering why some people are making excuses or think it's fabricated?? I've been to that stadium for 30 years. I've seen that stuff happen. There is no excuse.

Is it too late for me to get the Buffalo News to write a story about the death threats and the punch to the neck that I got while walking out of the Fleet Center after a Sabres-Bruins game last year?

Yes, it sucks that this happened to him, but these kind of things don't generally happen unprovoked. If it was one person, maybe, but to set off an entire group of people, the guy had to have done/said something. Call me crazy, but if I'm surrounded by a large number of drunken rival fans, I'm going to cover up my jersey and not draw attention if at all possible, especially if I'm there with a pregnant woman.

I realize that some people think that I may be trying to make excuses here. I'm not. The people who beat the guy are a bunch of idiots who should be banned from the Ralph and the HSBC. I just hate that some people will end up associating the entire fanbase with these idiots.

I got a feeling that the Boston paper is only giving you one side of the story.  Who started throwing punches first?

820890[/snapback]

Yeah, it's frequently the fans of the winning team that start fights. :(

I have never seen a fight in the parking lot before or after a game, home or away.

Nor do I want to.

820966[/snapback]

Really? How many Bills games have you attended? Because I almost can't think of a time when I HAVEN'T seen a fight or two.