Stadium security

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5456035

Flashback time! :D

When I went to the Ralph in 2004 during the Bills(hey hey!)-Jets (boo!) game during a class trip from LaSalle in Troy. Only the people who signed up, went of course. We had about 30 people on our trip and we were sitting in section 224. I was so hooked on the game and the fact that it was my first time there and seeing the Bills players play live in fron of my eyes. (You season ticket holders are lucky). However, there was one moment that I will never forget. During, I think it was the 3rd quarter when the Bills were winning some crazy drunked idiot out of section 219 or 220 started walikng along that white roof part seperating the upper sections from the ground sections.

crazy dude area

This guy was drunk alright and like any drunk dude pulling off that stunt, he fell off the roof top and landed in sections 114 or 115. I took a while for security to reach him. But they did and threw him out of the stadium of course. But that wasn't the only incident a lot of fight broke out especially a huge one in section 122. A lot of Bills fans were taunting Jets fans a big fight broke out. That got everyone's attention.

Either way I felt a little unsafe at the Ralph, but I really hope I get the chance to see another game there soon. I miss that atmosphere.

Is the Ralph really getting to be a little unsafe?. I'm not saying were like the Raiders fans who I heard get arrested a lot more, but is the security here slipping.

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5456035

Is the Ralph really getting to be a little unsafe?.  I'm not saying were like the Raiders fans who I heard get arrested a lot more, but is the security here slipping.

786774[/snapback]

I eluded to this in an earlier post -- I sat in section 221 for the first time and it will be my last time. I've never seen so much uncivilized behavior in my almost 20 years of going to games.

Just some of the highlights: about 5 fights within 100 yards of me, food thrown all over fans below, the 3 couples directly in front of us were so drunk it wasn't even funny -- 2 of the women were grinding the other 4 people, 1 of the women had a shirt that said "squeeze me" and she was letting the others in her group rub her ya yas with 4-5 kids right behind her, security hit me in the back of the head twice rushing down the aisle behind me to break up fights ....I've never heard so many fans call each other colorful things like c*** suc****, pu*****, ass*****, and just about everything else in the book - HUNDREDS OF TIMES....

I could go on and on, but I won't. It was the worst game experience I've ever had and unless I sit in another section with more season ticket holders, I won't be back...

Ever....

I eluded to this in an earlier post -- I sat in section 221 for the first time and it will be my last time.  I've never seen so much uncivilized behavior in my almost 20 years of going to games.

Ah, 221. That's where I was in '99, the first year I had my own seasons.

Now you know why I moved. Sounds like things haven't changed...

Its football. Get over it.

786806[/snapback]

Not so. Vomiting on, fighting with, and cursing out your neighbors, your fellow Bills fans, is not football. It's hooliganism, it's stupid, and it's uncalled for, and it has no place at RWS or any stadium for that matter.

People who want to ruin a good time, for those who paid good money, should be shipped off to some frat bar where they can hang out with and beat on all the fellow a--holes they like.

Let people who want to watch football enjoy it.

Not sure if they do this in Buffalo, but I have seen it in baseball, in Baltimore...If you come to the game and are the designated driver, you can go to a stand and get a wristband that will give you free soda all game long. With the band on, you cannot order any alcohol.

This is a good idea, I think, but the last time I was in Buffalo for a game, we sat in front of a guy who had snuck a bottle of rum in the stadium in his jacket, and was mixing it in his giant souvenier soda all game long...needless to say, by the end of the game, he was really, really, rediculously drunk...A scary thought with as many altercations as it seems there was yesterday, that security could be bad enough to allow someone a glass bottle in the stadium that could be used as a weapon.

I love going to live football games, and I have been to Buffalo for games many, many times. But it is the kind of people who drink so much they vomit on others, and get so riled up that they start fights not only with opposing fans (who in many cases were being quiet all game long) but the home teams fans, that keep me from bringing my wife or kids to a live game.

A shame, a real shame.

786806[/snapback]

What the hell does football have to do with the things people are complaining about? Since there's a football game going on its okay to do the things listed? A football game isn't a good place to take your kids? Or be able to watch a game without the fear that someone is going to throw beer on your or pick a fight? Whatever, its attitudes like this that lead to such behavior.

When I went to the Ralph in 2004 during the Bills-Jets (boo!) game during a class trip from LaSalle in Troy.  Only the people who signed up, went of course.  We had about 30 people on our thip and we were sitting in section 224.  I was so hooked on the game and the fact that it was my first time there and seeing the Bills players play live in fron of my eyes.  (You season ticket holders are lucky).  However, there was one moment that I will never forget.  During, I think it was the 3rd quarter when the Bills were winning some crazy drunked idiot out of section 219 or 220 started walikng along that white roof part seperating the upper sections from the ground sections. 

Crazy dude area

This guy was drunk alright and like any drunk dude pulling off that stunt,  he fell off the roof top and landed in sections 114 or 115.  I took a while for security to reach him.  But they did and threw him out of the stadium of course.  But that wasn't the only incident a lot of fight broke out especially a huge one in section 122.  A lot of Bills fans were taunting Jets fans a big fight broke out.  That got everyone's attention.

Either way I felt a little unsafe at the Ralph, but I really hope I get the chance to see another game there soon.  I miss that atmosphere.

786836[/snapback]

I forgot to mention that about 4 Jets fans and 3 Bills fans were kicked out of the stadium for starting the fight. :D

786806[/snapback]

Umm, no. Football is played on the field. What some previous posters have described as taking place in the stands is asshattery, pure and simple, and deserves to be 'rewarded' with a trip to Orchard Park Town Court. Not too many gameday experiences suck worse than missing part of the game because the drunken frat brats right in front of you decide to start a knock-down, drag-out brawl with the equally-inebriated fellow Bills fans sitting right beside them, as happened during my last game in Section 221.

JMO... and the reason I now have the Guest Services Gameday Hotline (716-312-8933) on speed-dial.

Back in 1999 (or was it 98?), I went with three of my brother in-laws, and my brother, to see the Bills play the Chargers. We sat way up top, in the corner opposite the score-board. My brother, myself and one of my brother in-laws are huge Bills fans. One of my other brother in-laws is a huge Chiefs fan, and my other brother in-law, loathes sports...he is a little "arty" if you know what I mean. A great photographer. He wanted to go, mostly as a sociology study, it seems, and as an excuse to take photos.

Anyway...the crowd was awful. There was constant fighting, pretty over the top language, all in all, a pretty hostile enviorment. Stuff flying through the air. It wasn't just our section either...I have been back for 4 games since, and try not to make it a family affair any more.

I felt bad for the families that were stuck in the middle of it all. My brother (who, I hate to say it, is kind of an a-hole) got arrested. My souvnier of the game came months later, in the mail, when my photographer brother in-law sent me a framed 11x17, black and white photo of my brother being lead away by stadium security. I voewed I would never go to a game with my brother again. I haven't broke my vow...the Bills won that day, I can't even imagine how much worse it might have been if they had lost.

What the hell does football have to do with the things people are complaining about?  Since there's a football game going on its okay to do the things listed?  A football game isn't a good place to take your kids?  Or be able to watch a game without the fear that someone is going to throw beer on your or pick a fight?  Whatever, its attitudes like this that lead to such behavior.

786842[/snapback]

Umm, no. Football is played on the field. What some previous posters have described as taking place in the stands is asshattery, pure and simple, and deserves to be 'rewarded' with a trip to Orchard Park Town Court. Not too many gameday experiences suck worse than missing part of the game because the drunken frat brats right in front of you decide to start a knock-down, drag-out brawl with the equally-inebriated fellow Bills fans sitting right beside them, as happened during my last game in Section 221.

JMO... and the reason I now have the Guest Services Gameday Hotline (716-312-8933) on speed-dial.

786881[/snapback]

Well I can honestly see both sides. I can see the family aspect of it and I can also see the pumped up, rowdy side of it. I like seeing my nephew enjoy a game, but then again I also get pumped hearing the "this is our house" commercials ... so when Bills fans get on Opponents fans, I dont really mind. This is our house. Period. Thats the way I feel. Whether Lori or others agree or not, I am not going to make a big deal out of it and get angry. I just feel the way I feel.

P.S. Another side of this is to share the love that Jesus does. Its tough to do sometimes though.

Well I can honestly see both sides. I can see the family aspect of it and I can also see the pumped up, rowdy side of it. I like seeing my nephew enjoy a game, but then again I also get pumped hearing the "this is our house" commercials ... so when Bills fans get on Opponents fans, I dont really mind. This is our house. Period. Thats the way I feel. Whether Lori or others agree or not, I am not going to make a big deal out of it and get angry. I just feel the way I feel.

P.S. Another side of this is to share the love that Jesus does. Its tough to do sometimes though.

786904[/snapback]

Maybe when you're just a TAD older you'll feel differently....

Let me give you another example of what happened the first five minutes we were in our seats:

This GIANT guy in front of us, I'm talking 400 lbs + was sitting in the wrong seat. This guy came up that was pretty stacked but only weighted about 190lbs with a nice looking date / wife with him. He just said to the guy " hey dude, I think you're in my seat" . Instead of being HUMAN about it, he jumps up and acts like he is going to beat down the guy, embarasses this guy in front of his date for no reason, and walks away saying " you punk as* b*tch, you look at me, blah blbha lbha lbhah" ....

Yes, that was the first 5 minutes...

What does FOOTBALL have to do with that? How can there be two sides to an event like that?

Trust me, that was mild compared to the rest of the game...

Let me give you another example of what happened the first five minutes we were in our seats:

This GIANT guy in front of us, I'm talking 400 lbs + was sitting in the wrong seat.  This guy came up that was pretty stacked but only weighted about 190lbs with a nice looking date / wife with him.  He just said to the guy " hey dude, I think you're in my seat" .  Instead of being HUMAN about it, he jumps up and acts like he is going to beat down the guy, embarasses this guy in front of his date for no reason, and walks away saying " you punk as* b*tch, you look at me, blah blbha lbha lbhah" ....

What does FOOTBALL have to do with that?  How can there be two sides to an event like that?

786914[/snapback]

...so should I keep training in the gym for the November 5 game? :D

Security is doing what it is paid to do, enforce the NYS smoking laws.

If little cablelady lit up a cigarette by the concession stand, 5 security guards would probably kick the sh-- out of her and toss her in jail, while others are fighting, throwing objects, and puking on each other.

786936[/snapback]

Damn. I should have tried that. There were at least 5 hot security guards down there. :D

They did let me take a noisemaker in. They just told me to tuck it in my purse. :doh:

You know, I've seen this issue literally on both sides. I think it's an age and maturity thing. I used to get absolutely WRECKED before games, and I'm sure I was involved in more than a few verbal confrontations, though none that I can remember with any BILLS fans.

But now that I'm a bit older and a parent, I've either cut back completely or severely restricted my drinking before and/or during games, and I see what complete idiocy these drunken tards induce. I was VERY worried that the end-zone near our section was going to break out into a total riot.

I'm never going to tell someone NOT to drink before a game, that would be hypocritical. But I wish people would use their heads about it. The games are starting to look like those in the mid 80s.

786881[/snapback]

Thanks for providing that number. I am bringing my wife/kids up there from NC for the Green Bay game in Nov. I will be quick to call that number if that kind of crap happens near me and my family.

You know, I've seen this issue literally on both sides. I think it's an age and maturity thing. I used to get absolutely WRECKED before games, and I'm sure I was involved in more than a few verbal confrontations, though none that I can remember with any BILLS fans.

But now that I'm a bit older and a parent, I've either cut back completely or severely restricted my drinking before and/or during games, and I see what complete idiocy these drunken tards induce. I was VERY worried that the end-zone near our section was going to break out into a total riot.

I'm never going to tell someone NOT to drink before a game, that would be hypocritical. But I wish people would use their heads about it. The games are starting to look like those in the mid 80s.

786965[/snapback]

lol..describes me exactly...

I never understood getting ripped at the game. I don't feel like wasting my money. We;d get to the lot at 10. I'd have one beer before the game, nothing during it and one beer after the game.

Must be a lot of alcoholics still in WNY.

I have had season tickets for 11 years now(since I was 22). My advice to anybody that doesnt want to put up with this nonsense is simple. Stay out of the endzones, especially the scoreboard. Most of the visiting fans that do come occupy the scoreboard endzone & the other endzone(tunnel side) I think is where they give the discount season tickets so chances are you are going to have alot of college kids & younger kids that like to really party it up. Hey we were all that age once, in that respect I do understand. My section is 110, lower bowl around the 20 yard. There is never any problem there.

There's always been drunks and as Rockpile said in another post, it goes back to the War Memorial days.

I've been coming to Rich/Ralph over 30 years...went to the opener back in '73...and while there was always a party atmosphere, it seems like the drunks these days are alot more vile than 20, 30 years ago.

I was at the Jet game last year and while there was the usual shenanigans, it seemed like everyone took everything much too personal, there was a lot more "In your face!" incidents than I ever remember, many of these incidents between Bills fans.

The mentality seems to be, "I paid my $45 for this ticket and I'm entitled to do anything I want for the next three hours, and if you don't like it, go F yourself!"

I'm afraid that mentality goes far beyond the reaches of the Orchard Park police and stadium security.

I was at that game and remember it clearly... I actually think I was in 221 myself that day....

When I went to the Ralph in 2004 during the Bills-Jets (boo!) game during a class trip from LaSalle in Troy.  Only the people who signed up, went of course.  We had about 30 people on our thip and we were sitting in section 224.  I was so hooked on the game and the fact that it was my first time there and seeing the Bills players play live in fron of my eyes.  (You season ticket holders are lucky).  However, there was one moment that I will never forget.  During, I think it was the 3rd quarter when the Bills were winning some crazy drunked idiot out of section 219 or 220 started walikng along that white roof part seperating the upper sections from the ground sections. 

Crazy dude area

This guy was drunk alright and like any drunk dude pulling off that stunt,  he fell off the roof top and landed in sections 114 or 115.  I took a while for security to reach him.  But they did and threw him out of the stadium of course.  But that wasn't the only incident a lot of fight broke out especially a huge one in section 122.  A lot of Bills fans were taunting Jets fans a big fight broke out.  That got everyone's attention.

Either way I felt a little unsafe at the Ralph, but I really hope I get the chance to see another game there soon.  I miss that atmosphere.

786836[/snapback]

This GIANT guy in front of us, I'm talking 400 lbs + was sitting in the wrong seat.  This guy came up that was pretty stacked but only weighted about 190lbs with a nice looking date / wife with him.  He just said to the guy " hey dude, I think you're in my seat" .  Instead of being HUMAN about it, he jumps up and acts like he is going to beat down the guy, embarasses this guy in front of his date for no reason, and walks away saying " you punk as* b*tch, you look at me, blah blbha lbha lbhah" ....

What does FOOTBALL have to do with that?  How can there be two sides to an event like that?

786914[/snapback]

Well thats just ridiculous ... i can definately see your point in this

The only way that security is slipping is by letting the fans leave before the fourth quarter. What a crock of sh-- that was. I am disappointed at all Bills fans who attended that game.

787577[/snapback]

Easy on slappin' that stereotype brush around, friend. And what section were you sitting in again?

Easy on slappin' that stereotype brush around, friend. And what section were you sitting in again?

787582[/snapback]

Sorry, i was sitting in section 15 Kelly Meadow Rd. The view of the game in person wasn't so great, so i spent the majority of the game watching it on tv.

I have had season tickets for 11 years now(since I was 22).  My advice to anybody that doesnt want to put up with this nonsense is simple.  Stay out of the endzones, especially the scoreboard.  Most of the visiting fans that do come occupy the scoreboard endzone & the other endzone(tunnel side) I think is where they give the discount season tickets so chances are you are going to have alot of college kids & younger kids that like to really party it up.  Hey we were all that age once, in that respect I do understand.  My section is 110, lower bowl around the 20 yard.  There is never any problem there.

787450[/snapback]

actually, tunnel end zone..at least the visitor's side of it along the tunnel (122) is mostly season ticket holders. There's a few bad ones but from around row 20 down to the field is mostly decent. We used to have a big guy named Kelly as security in our section...no one messed with him which meant people behaved. Think R. Rich but shorter

Not sure if they do this in Buffalo, but I have seen it in baseball, in Baltimore...If you come to the game and are the designated driver, you can go to a stand and get a wristband that will give you free soda all game long.  With the band on, you cannot order any alcohol.

786829[/snapback]

Something similar......

Designated Driver Program

The Buffalo Bills has joined forces with Sportservice and the TEAM Coalition to implement a Designated Driver Program. Fans of legal drinking age, who have a valid driver's license, can sign a pledge to become a designated driver for the game at any Guest Service Booth located throughout Ralph Wilson Stadium. In exchange for the pledge not to consume alcohol during the game, the Designated Driver is eligible for free non-alcoholic beer at any Sportservice Concession stand.

- TEAM Coalition Information and Pledge sheets will be located at all Guest Service Booths for patrons to sign up as the Designated Driver.

- Once guest has signed up for program, they will receive a wristband for their free O'Douls, in addition to a Team Coalition Sweepstakes card.

I'd rather have soda than O'Doul's.

Classy.

My friend has been a Vikings fan since Tarkenton played QB for them. I wanted him to have the chance to see his team lose in person. What's wrong with that?

787688[/snapback]

Absolutely nothing. I would do the exact thing too.

Then kick his ass in the parking lot.

Geez, this is a pretty scary thread.

I can't, for the life of me, understand why Bills fans would be a-holes to other Bills fans.

I remember being at the AFC championship game against the Broncos in the early 90's. There was a family of Bronco fans a couple rows in front of me. (2 parents and 2 small children.) The Bills fans directly surrounding them were the biggest fockers I've ever seen. They poured beer right on the guys head and swore at the entire family during the entire game. It was horrible.

Maybe our crappy seasons have to do with a little thing called Karma.

I never understood getting ripped at the game. I don't feel like wasting my money. We;d get to the lot at 10. I'd have one beer before the game, nothing during it and one beer after the game.

Must be a lot of alcoholics  still in WNY.

787423[/snapback]

Wow. Yes this only happens here.

Side note: what are you doing having a beer at 10 am? Camping?