Bills Cut Roster to 53

Matt in KC

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see Martin Nance's name mentioned ... did I miss something earlier? Had he already been cut?

I hope they can keep him on the PS as well. Here's what I'm hoping for on the PS:

Lenohard

Wilson

Nance

Gates

Geisinger or Jerman

Cielak

Baker or King

Sape

(assuming all these guys are still eligible?)

Hopefully Baker, Gates, Geisinger, King, Leonard, and Wilson clear waivers so we can keep them on the Practice Squad

759885[/snapback]

Leonard's not elligible for PS. DiGiorgio's Detroit game must've really impressed. He flew under the radar, from training camp reports here at least. Burns is on the Injured list, not cut.

I didn't see Martin Nance's name mentioned ... did I miss something earlier?  Had he already been cut?

I hope they can keep him on the PS as well.  Here's what I'm hoping for on the PS:

Lenohard

Wilson

Nance

Gates

Geisinger or Jerman

Cielak

Baker or King

Sape

(assuming all these guys are still eligible?)

759907[/snapback]

Nance got cut earlier...but I agree, I'd like to see us give him a PS spot.

Who is our starting safety? They going to start the Rookie?

759896[/snapback]

An unproven rookie that will make mistakes or a vet that's proven to continually make mistakes? I'll take a street walk-on over Coy Burnt Wire.

The Official Cuts

Here are the cuts, just posted by the Bills:

Rashad Baker

Eric Bassey

Joe Burns

Brad Cieslak

Liam Ezekiel

Lionel Gates

Justin Geisinger

Jon Goldsberry

Jason Hall

Wendell Hunter

Fred Jackson

Jason Jefferson

Greg Jerman

Eric King

Jim Leonhard

Ryan Neill

Joe Odom

Alan Ricard

Lauvale Sape

Jonathan Smith

Jason Thomas

George Wilson

759863[/snapback]

They cut Gates and kept Thomas because he is one of "Jauron's Boys"

Shaud Williams deserved to make the team...all he does is keep the chains moving when he's in there. :w00t:

Rashad Baker and Eric King should have made the roster...Coy Wire and Leonard should have been cut.

Milwaukee Thomas over Eric King, wow..

759895[/snapback]

The more I think about that one, I'm not sure I understand or like it. Guy goes from starting nickel to gone? Just thinking ahead to what it might look like next year if you subtract Nate - him and Greer might've been nice depth behind McGee and Youboty. Guess we'll be drafting CB again.

Shaud Williams deserved to make the team...all he does is keep the chains moving when he's in there. :w00t:

Rashad Baker and Eric King should have made the roster...Coy Wire and Leonard should have been cut.

759913[/snapback]

Leonard was cut

The more I think about that one, I'm not sure I understand or like it.  Guy goes from starting nickel to gone?  Just thinking ahead to what it might look like next year if you subtract Nate - him and Greer might've been nice depth behind McGee and Youboty.  Guess we'll be drafting CB again.

759915[/snapback]

Well, playing devil's advocate here...Thomas HAS started in the NFL before and has lots of experience as the nickel and dime back. Not like he's an UDFA or anything, guy has been in the NFL for 6 years.

Personally Shaud Williams showed that he can play last year as the 3rd down back.

I think the acquisition of Anthony Thomas was simply not necessary, as he and Gates were fairly similar in style and Gates is younger. I sure hope A-Train made the team because he earned it and NOT because of the bias associated with his history with Jauron.

I am surprised by a couple of them. Shaud over Gates doesn't make a lot of sense to me, except that Gates and Thomas are pretty similar players. Shaud adds very little on ST because he would the #3 PR and probably the #3 KR and doesn't stand out at all on the coverage teams.

759903[/snapback]

Personally Shaud Williams showed that he can play last year as the 3rd down back. 

I think the acquisition of Anthony Thomas was simply not necessary, as he and Gates were fairly similar in style and Gates is younger.  I sure hope A-Train made the team because he earned it and NOT because of the bias associated with his history with Jauron.

759921[/snapback]

Did you know that Leonard was cut? :w00t:

I think the acquisition of Anthony Thomas was simply not necessary, as he and Gates were fairly similar in style and Gates is younger.  I sure hope A-Train made the team because he earned it and NOT because of the bias associated with his history with Jauron.

759921[/snapback]

He was mostly terrible as a third down back. He couldn't block, and the only thing he did well was look good gaining 10 yards on 3rd and 16.

Shaud Williams deserved to make the team...all he does is keep the chains moving when he's in there. :doh:

759913[/snapback]

I SO agree with you there!!! Baker and Gates were a small surprise for me but Liam was a major surprise! :w00t: Doesn't he have PS eligibility left? Is he really that slow?

Like many, surprised that Wire stays and Gates is cut.  My guess is that Matt Bowen's injury forced us to keep Wire a while longer, and cost Gates a spot on the roster.

Nothing else too shocking, that I can see.

759943[/snapback]

I can't believe that they would keep four RBs when Willis is going to play third downs. Gates may have been a surprise cut but IMO had zero to do with Wire or any other position for that matter. You only need three RBs for sure.

I never truly understood why you don't dress all 53 for that matter. Is there any legitimate reason for that?

759956[/snapback]

It's a cost efficiency move put in by Tagliabue.

They get a League-negotiated discount at the Dry Cleaners for 53 sets of uniforms.

Keeps ticket prices down.