Eric Moulds Traded For 5th Round Pic Kyle Williams

Mark VI

Your kidding right? Moulds for a guy who had one nice game -- preseason? Come on man...

Moulds was an all-pro on a crap team for years. He played with crap talent around him, crap QBs, and tons of different coaches. The camp darling Williams has to do more than shed two double teams in a meaningless game for me to buy his jersey. Fred Smerlas PART II?

Your kidding right?  Moulds for a guy who had one nice game -- preseason?  Come on man...

Moulds was an all-pro on a crap team for years.  He played with crap talent around him, crap QBs, and tons of different coaches.  The camp darling Williams has to do more than shed two double teams in a meaningless game for me to buy his jersey.  Fred Smerlas PART II?

744113[/snapback]

I'm talking about current form... not the past Sparky.

Do you EVER make an intelligent post ?

744118[/snapback]

I don't really want to jump to Roscoes defense but.....he does have a point.

At this point it looks like KW will become a solid player(at least) but untill he is playing good football in regular games, it is just pre-season. When he proves himself, then I will more than agree with your point....for now, it looks like your point is looking solid but not yet proven.

Go KW....prove the point!!! :blush:

744118[/snapback]

Bro,

There giving Prozac to almost anyone these days.

Moulds today, or 5 yrs ago is worth more than the prospect of Kyle Williams being the next Warren Sape at this point. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT KYLE WILLIAMS!!! Who the Fu0K is he? Eric Moulds will post later and call you out...

Bro,

Moulds today, or 5 yrs ago is worth more than the prospect of Kyle Williams being the next Warren Sape at this point.  YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT KYLE WILLIAMS!!!  Who the Fu0K is he?  Eric Moulds will post later and call you out...

744125[/snapback]

i am very glad we have kyle williams instead of eric moulds...............dosnt matter that kyle was a 5th round draft pick.....he is a football player and we will be talking about him for years to come barring injury....go bills in"06

Moulds is gone and whatever we got in return is better than having him here. We didn't win with him and we can lose without him just as well. He didn't want to be here, goodbye. Why keep him around? Let him play out his last few years where he is somebody else's problem. He was a good receiver, he still a decent receiver, but he wasn't going to help this team much this year or next year.

I'll take that exchage 100 times out of 100.

744099[/snapback]

Now I like Kyle Williams, probably more than anyone on this board, and I do believe he will become a solid NT for years because he's not your ordinary "great white hype" d-lineman like some believe, but after one preseason game, that's a bold thing to say, and not very fair to Moulds. Moulds was really the only bright spot for the Bills for a while. He was dedicated to the franchise and would bend over backwards for us. So it's way to early to post this. That said, I do believe your post will sound alot better in a couple years.

Moulds was at the end of his Bills career and was looking to get released outright. Meanwhile, Marv held out and appears to have traded Moulds for a guy who will start for the forseeable future. Not only a good trade but great use of the draft. It's more than 1 game on Williams, it's the entire camp and the fact he's already been promoted to starter.

Now I like Kyle Williams, probably more than anyone on this board, and I do believe he will become a solid NT for years because he's not your ordinary "great white hype" d-lineman like some believe, but after one preseason game, that's a bold thing to say, and not very fair to Moulds. Moulds was really the only bright spot for the Bills for a while. He was dedicated to the franchise and would bend over backwards for us. So it's way to early to post this. That said, I do believe your post will sound alot better in a couple years.

744141[/snapback]

Without even considering the level of Moulds' play of late, consider

a.) Moulds was definitely leaving the team, and

b.) all the pundits said that, because of the above knowledge, no team would be stupid enough to trade for him but rather wait for his release...

I'd say it's a fair swap...

Your kidding right?  Moulds for a guy who had one nice game -- preseason?  Come on man...

Moulds was an all-pro on a crap team for years.  He played with crap talent around him, crap QBs, and tons of different coaches.  The camp darling Williams has to do more than shed two double teams in a meaningless game for me to buy his jersey.  Fred Smerlas PART II?

744113[/snapback]

Moulds has been holding back a very talented WR corp. I'm excited to see the group find its own identity and take it it to the next level. Bye bye Eric!!!!

Bro,

Moulds today, or 5 yrs ago is worth more than the prospect of Kyle Williams being the next Warren Sape at this point.  YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT KYLE WILLIAMS!!!  Who the Fu0K is he?  Eric Moulds will post later and call you out...

744125[/snapback]

The better question is who the fuOK is Warren Sape?

.... no team would be stupid enough to trade for him but rather wait for his release...

744148[/snapback]

And the thing that really, totally, honestly amazes me to the max is that the sages that frequent this site (when not digging trenches for MCI) don't get this basic fact of the brilliance of the trade.

The trade is good from a standpoint we got a starter out of a 5th rd pick, for a wr on the downside of his career. Eric Moulds is one of my all time favorite bills, but if Kyle Williams helps us improve in the trenches on defense and becomes a good dt then you really can't argue with the trade.

Bro,

744125[/snapback]

According to Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide; Kyle Williams-The way we see it: Does not have great measurables but plays much bigger than his size and warrants comparisons to Vikings 2000 FIRST ROUND pick and currant Buccaneers DT Chris Hovan. A rolling ball of butcher knives, he will slap and push around anything in his way to get in the backfield. A throwback, old school tough guy who needs to play in a penetrating, upfield attack where he is on the move. 2006 Draft projection - 3rd round That is who Kyle Williams is - not the next Sapp ( not Sape you idiot) but the next Hovan :blush:

:blush:

I love this board.

Moulds has been holding back a very talented WR corp.  I'm excited to see the group find its own identity and take it it to the next level.    Bye bye Eric!!!!

744164[/snapback]

744141[/snapback]

But CBB, your post serves to spell out what a GREAT trade this in fact was.

A "solid nose tackle for years" is worth his weight in gold, let alone an ageing receiver whose ypc stats are sinking faster than the Titanic.

I wish I could find it, but I once read a great quote by Bill Walsh. He said (I am of course paraphrasing) that the worst players to have on a team are disgruntled veterans who might be pretty good, but never really won anything. He said that they disrupt the morale and work ethic that a coach tries to instill in the young players. I wish I knew where to find this quote! :blush:

In any event, the above describes an ageing Eric Moulds. If nothing else, last season proved that he was no longer a good fit in Buffalo. Granted, we might not seem to have his immediate replacement, but I continue to make the case that finding a wideout to replace an older guy who lost a step is WAY easier than finding a good, young, solid DT under almost any conditions.

Btw, it is great that you got to watch him in college. If you thought he was THAT good, you must have been surprised that he lasted so long on draft day.

Hey Mark....count me in on that 100 out of 100 thing. :blush:

I'll take that exchage 100 times out of 100.

744099[/snapback]

At least. What appears to be a very promising DT for a rapidly aging WR who didn't want to be here?!?! Not even an argument. Welcome, Kyle Williams, to a defense with a lot of promise in the very near future.

We're rebuilding. KW fits our needs, EM does not. It's that simple.

Okay, for all you naysayers, let's look at it objectively and realistically. Which would you want if you were GM? The 2006 version of Eric Moulds for one year at 8,000,000 or the 2006-2009 version of Kyle Williams for, what, 800K a year? I'd make that trade 100 out of 100 times.

Okay, for all you naysayers, let's look at it objectively and realistically. Which would you want if you were GM? The 2006 version of Eric Moulds for one year at 8,000,000 or the 2006-2009 version of Kyle Williams for, what, 800K a year? I'd make that trade 100 out of 100 times.

744320[/snapback]

Not only that, didn't he have a cap hit of 7 mil or so for 07?

According to Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide; Kyle Williams-The way we see it: Does not have great measurables but plays much bigger than his size and warrants comparisons to Vikings 2000 FIRST ROUND pick and currant Buccaneers DT Chris Hovan. A rolling ball of butcher knives, he will slap and push around anything in his way to get in the backfield. A throwback, old school tough guy who needs to play in a penetrating, upfield attack where he is on the move. 2006 Draft projection - 3rd round                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              That  is who Kyle Williams is - not  the next Sapp ( not Sape you idiot) but the next Hovan :blush:

744267[/snapback]

No kidding he ain't the next Sapp. We use Sapp to distinguish the difference. But who the hell said he is Hovan? Ok, he is a smallish white guy with a high motor, what is the rest of the comparison? Hovan sucks and was sent out of MN on a rail. I hope Williams is better than him...

No kidding he ain't the next Sapp.  We use Sapp to distinguish the difference.  But who the hell said he is Hovan?  Ok, he is a smallish white guy with a high motor, what is the rest of the comparison?  Hovan sucks and was sent out of MN on a rail.  I hope Williams is better than him...

744329[/snapback]

Hovan was excellent last year.

Hovan's paychecks will be much heavier this year, with the team's blessing. Tampa Bay's nose tackle earned himself a five-year, $17.5 million contract that kicks in this season.

It's a far cry from Hovan's fifth and final season in Minnesota, where the Vikings were changing defensive schemes and losing interest in the former first-round draft pick out of Boston College.

"I don't know what happened in Minnesota," Bucs nine-time Pro Bowl linebacker Derrick Brooks said. "But I know something happened here that sprung some deep inner feelings Chris has for the game."

When Tampa Bay's other Pro Bowl defender, cornerback Ronde Barber, was asked what impact Hovan had on the Bucs' run defense in 2005, he said, "Chris was the difference."

Hovan started all 17 games last year, including a home playoff loss to Washington, as the Bucs held opponents to nearly 30 fewer rushing yards (94.7 a game) than in 2004. The Bucs jumped to sixth in the league at stopping the run last season after ranking a dismal 19th the year before.

Hovan, 27, was the only new starter in Tampa Bay's defensive front seven last season.

"I knew I had to start from scratch coming down here," Hovan said Tuesday after yet another boiling training camp practice at Disney's Wide World of Sports. The thermometer on the field read 105 degrees during the morning practice. "I had to come out and prove myself. The best way to get the respect of the men on this team is to go out and bleed and sweat and keep your mouth shut."

Hovan's game plan is the same in his second season with the Buccaneers. He also downplays the impact he had on the defense in his first year in Tampa.

"I'm just glad I can contribute to this defense," Hovan said. "Their defense was No. 1 long before I got here. I just do my role and get out there and play the best that I can within the defense. They gave me the opportunity."

With Hovan on board, the Bucs were ranked first in the league in overall defense for the first time since winning the Super Bowl to cap the 2002 campaign. That was no coincidence either.

Hovan led all Bucs defensive linemen with 64 tackles in 2005.

744320[/snapback]

Ummm, probably the 2006-2009 version of KW but.....if in the next pre season game he looks more like a 5th rounder & becomes an alright backup during the season....probably the expensive EM.

I'm not saying he won't be a solid player, I just think it is premature to start talking about how good he is. He has played one pre season game.

He has not proved himself to be the equal(let alone better) of an aged EMO.....yet.

I seem to remember some vitriol - and some pretty nasty posts, too - about how we should have just released Moulds, let him go to whatever team he wants, and get absolutely nothing in return - 'cause he had "absolutely no trade value whatsoever".

TSW can be a fickle place at times, no? Is it also possible that maybe Levy knows what he's doing?

744113[/snapback]

Not sure what this means relative to the post, but the fact remains that we don't need an Eric Moulds on our team, but we DO need a Kyle Williams. Actually we need a few Kyle Williams, based on his camp performances.

Given that you believe Williams only had "one nice game," I'm taking that to mean you disagree with the coaches and he should NOT have moved ahead of Tim Anderson on the roster? I mean, it was one nice game, not a really good camp, so what the hell is the current coaching staff thinking?

Am I following your logic correctly, Roscoe?

Yeah, I think it was a good trade.  Williams will shine in Buffalo and Moulds might have a good showing with the Texans.  Win, Win situation.

744198[/snapback]

especially considering that he did not want to play for the bills and wanted his 7M salary for the year.....

744113[/snapback]

You used to have intelligent posts......did you bump your head very hard recently?

We had decided to get rid of Moulds and everyone knew it from jump street. Hence we didn't have much in thte way of bargaining leverage. Getting anyone who was good was a stroke of luck. We appeared to be somewhat lucky. In a mature and objective process we would have kept Moulds, but it has been a pretty bizarre period the last year or two.

Btw, it is great that you got to watch him in college. If you thought he was THAT good, you must have been surprised that he lasted so long on draft day.

744303[/snapback]

I just think your post is before it's time, that's all.

As for Williams at LSU. Yes, I watched his whole college career. While Claude Wroten (Who was picked by the rams) got most of the press time, Kyle Williams was the leader on defense. Team Captain. Definitely the most popular LSU Tiger last year besides Skyler Green. Wroten's stats were a little better, but alot of that was because Kyle Williams was constantly seeing double teams. He was the anchor of the d-line and did it very well.

For those that don't know, he's mature, unlike Chris Hovan. Kyle Williams is married, and both him and his wife taught sunday school while he was going through college.

I just think your post is before it's time, that's all.

As for Williams at LSU. Yes, I watched his whole college career. While Claude Wroten (Who was picked by the rams) got most of the press time, Kyle Williams was the leader on defense. Team Captain. Definitely the most popular LSU Tiger last year besides Skyler Green. Wroten's stats were a little better, but alot of that was because Kyle Williams was constantly seeing double teams. He was the anchor of the d-line and did it very well.

For those that don't know, he's mature, unlike Chris Hovan. Kyle Williams is married, and both him and his wife taught sunday school while he was going through college.

745063[/snapback]

It is amazing just how unexact of a science the draft is.....

A lot of these exact same things were said about Tim Anderson....

Played on a very good defense

Drew a lot of double teams

Team Leader

but Tim is BIGGER then Kyle yet has been getting pushed around from day one....he didn't even dress his first year much less show he might be capable of producing......

I know a lot of people have made fun of the new regime....and even MORE have said that Marv was going to blow this draft....

It sure doesn't look that way at the moment....for christ sake one of the OT's we took at the bottom portion of the draft is showing promise