Bills to Move to LA

In response to our story regarding the possible candidates for a move to Los Angeles, one league source has advised us that he believes the Buffalo Bills are a prime candidate to ultimately fill the market that was vacated more than a decade ago by the Raiders and the Rams.

"Their owner is 88 years old," said the source. "The team will be sold when he dies. Their lease is very easy to get out of, and the economy of Buffalo and ability for the team to make money outside of ticket sales is probably the worst in the league. Their season ticket base may be the worst in the league."

profootballtalk.com

In response to our story regarding the possible candidates for a move to Los Angeles, one league source has advised us that he believes the Buffalo Bills are a prime candidate to ultimately fill the market that was vacated more than a decade ago by the Raiders and the Rams.

"Their owner is 88 years old," said the source.  "The team will be sold when he dies.  Their lease is very easy to get out of, and the economy of Buffalo and ability for the team to make money outside of ticket sales is probably the worst in the league.  Their season ticket base may be the worst in the league."

profootballtalk.com

647008[/snapback]

Must be a well informed source to use "probably" and "may be" in their quotes. Sounds like random speculation to me.

They made 36 million dollars last year and were in the top half of the league. So the "inside source" is full of it.

Forbes Buffalo Bills 2005

They are not going to move, even if Ralph or his estate sells the team.

647067[/snapback]

"Indeed, the team is now loaded with highly talented, players like quarterback J.P. Losman, running back Willis McGahee and wide receiver Eric Moulds, signed to long-term contracts. "

:P:lol::lol::blink:

But seriously, the Bills ranked 14th in operating income. Not too shabby since most all of it comes from ticket sales.

Rumor has it the brains at One Bills Drive have devised a plan to keep Ralph alive by using an iron lung...  You may have seen this device in the Big Lebowski.  Larry Digby Sellers...

647050[/snapback]

Is this your homework, Larry?

This is what happens, Larry.

"Their owner is 88 years old," said the source.  "The team will be sold when he dies.  Their lease is very easy to get out of, and the economy of Buffalo and ability for the team to make money outside of ticket sales is probably the worst in the league.  Their season ticket base may be the worst in the league."

profootballtalk.com

647008[/snapback]

Look Here

They made 36 million dollars last year and were in the top half of the league. So the "inside source" is full of it.

647067[/snapback]

good point. yes it's true the bills are a small market team compared to los angeles. but what's missed in the analysis is the relative lack of competition they have for discretionary entertainment dollars in buffalo versus buffalo. la has hockey, 2 basketball teams, baseball, big time college sports at USC and UCLA, and it's the entertainment capital of the world with myriad other entertainment events going on throughout the year. i mean seriously, if having a team in LA were so wildly profitable then a. why did they lose a team to middle market saint louis, b. why did al davis move back to oakland after a few years and c. why have they been so long without a team?

647067[/snapback]

25% annualized ROR. Not too bad. But if he had invested that money in the market at the same time it would be worth about $3 mill and he wouldn't have to listen to all you nimrods all these years.

What is also missing is that while Ralph earns 36. That would quickly be eaten up in loan payments etc... if the team was purchased by someone else. That someone else is going to have to raise revenue, by a lot, to make up the difference. As hard as the Bills have it now selling out , how ill it be when the tickets are twice as much, or to get lower bowls you have to sign a 5 year leasing agreement. Plus beer is 10 bucks a glass and they still don't have fried bologna.

Riddle me this. If LA were such a great site, why did two teams move out of it? What deal is California going to offer a potential team? I can't see them building a new stadium. Wouldn't San Diego be a better candidate in that it would stay in its own division, keep intact a good portion of its fan base and stay in the AFC West? I've been listening to NFL radio for about a month now and I NEVER hear Buffalo mentioned for a potential move to LA. Jacksonville and San Diego get thrown around a bit.

Hey, well at least LABillsFan will have something to cheer about.

I don't believe this will happen. Ralph takes anything Marv says as Gospel, and Marv would certainly plant ideas in his head that the buyer of his franchise has to agree to keep it in Buffalo. If that's not already in place.

Golisano will be the next owner, and we'll be in great hands.

fear not

Hey, well at least LABillsFan will have something to cheer about.

I don't believe this will happen. Ralph takes anything Marv says as Gospel, and Marv would certainly plant ideas in his head that the buyer of his franchise has to agree to keep it in Buffalo. If that's not already in place.

Golisano will be the next owner, and we'll be in great hands.

fear not

647123[/snapback]

Ralph dies, kids inherit team, sell team immediately. No Cap gains. Estate taxes however................ :blink: Hope that insurance policy is a doozie.

Nice investment Ralph!

647139[/snapback]

I agree... A very nice investment.

But... To say that any working stif back them could toss around 25k on a team is a stretch... It would be like shelling out 1/2 a million today.

My parents bought their new house in 1964 for 16k.

It still took some capital for its day... Pennies today... But, a whole lot back then.

Still an obscene investment.

:blink:

I'm going to go by what Jim Kelly said (off camera) at the taping of Quite Frankly a few weeks ago. He said after Ralph Wilson passes, he WILL be an owner of the Buffalo Bills.

What I think will happen is that the team will be sold by Ralph's estate to a group of investors led by Jim Kelly and Tom Golisano. Jim alluded to it, and it makes too much damn sense not to happen.

!@#$ LA!

Riddle me this.  If LA were such a great site, why did two teams move out of it?  What deal is California going to offer a potential team?  I can't see them building a new stadium.  Wouldn't San Diego be a better candidate in that it would stay in its own division, keep intact a good portion of its fan base and stay in the AFC West? I've been listening to NFL radio for about a month now and I NEVER hear Buffalo mentioned for a potential move to LA.  Jacksonville and San Diego get thrown around a bit.

647111[/snapback]

Seriously, LA lost 2 NFL teams!!! I know they're the second biggest market but come on. How many chances do you get. LA is a bandwagon town. If the team is good they'll go (and arrive late and leave early), and if they are bad they don't care. Say what you want about Buffalo, we go to the games whether they suck or not. Seriously, screw LA :blink: (though it is nice to visit and has hot women :P )!!!

I have a feeling the Bills will be sold (or the majority will be sold Before ralph passes so his family doesn't get hit with a huge tax. Chances are when Ralph feels he can no longer be a part of the team (possibly next couple years, he will sell a majority of the team to someone (maybe Golisano and Kelly) to make sure they stay in Buffalo and to make sure his family doesn't get hit with a huge tax after he's gone.

I have a feeling the Bills will be sold (or the majority will be sold Before ralph passes so his family doesn't get hit with a huge tax. Chances are when Ralph feels he can no longer be a part of the team (possibly next couple years, he will sell a majority of the team to someone (maybe Golisano and Kelly) to make sure they stay in Buffalo and to make sure his family doesn't get hit with a huge tax after he's gone.

647493[/snapback]

If he sells before he dies he gets hit with the tax. If the family inherits the team and they sell for what it was worth the day he dies they pay no cap gains. However there will be an estate tax liability when his wife passes. They need a major second to die policy. How old is she? So now you know why rich guys marry young women. Other than the fact they're good in bed.

There will be no team in LA until all teams wanting a new stadium have extorted cash from the public to build one under threat of their team being moved to LA.

The networks are actually worse off with teams in LA since they run the risk of local blackouts and lose the flexibility of carrying the best games in teh LA market.

profootballtalk.com

647008[/snapback]

We don't need posts like that around here.

Meanwhile the league will keep the Saints in New Orleans, where 3/4ths of the population left town, never to return, and the governement says it will be 25 years before things are back to normal...assuming they don't get wiped by another hurricane! Oh but the Bills, yeah let's move 'em!

PTR

Does anyone think that Ralph Wilson, with all the reports over the years about what will "definitely" occur once he passes, has merely accepted the party line that it's a hopeless situation for the Bills and they will be gone. Wilson has always been extremely loyal to the Buffalo fans, and to think that he could care less about what happens to this franchise is, hopefully, selling him very short.

Wills are what reveal one's deepest thoughts. Until Ralph's is read, all bets are off as to what it says about the future of this franchise. Just because his daughter does not want to run a football team doesn't mean all hope is lost. For instance, who is to say that Ralph doesn't direct that the franchise be sold to local interests unless none prove to available or interested.

But of course, there are undoubtedly participants on this board who have inside information; so perhaps I am wrong.

Everyone was convinced that the Sabres were goners. And that was a much more scary situation to speculate about than this one, hopefully, will be.

Does anyone think that Ralph Wilson, with all the reports over the years about what will "definitely" occur once he passes, has merely accepted the party line that it's a hopeless situation for the Bills and they will be gone.  Wilson has always been extremely loyal to the Buffalo fans, and to think that he could care less about what happens to this franchise is, hopefully, selling him very short. 

Wills are what reveal one's deepest thoughts.  Until Ralph's is read, all bets are off as to what it says about the future of this franchise.  Just because his daughter does not want to run a football team doesn't mean all hope is lost.  For instance, who is to say that Ralph doesn't direct that the franchise be sold to local interests unless none prove to available or interested. 

But of course, there are undoubtedly participants on this board who have inside information; so perhaps I am wrong.

Everyone was convinced that the Sabres were goners.  And that was a much more scary situation to speculate about than this one, hopefully, will be.

647760[/snapback]

I agree with your basic point, but have to add that he cannot put any conditions on the franchise after he is dead - can't put that sort of thing in a will.