The Moulds situation

Dawgg

I am one who doesn't trust anyone's version of these events because we never get the real story. I find it VERY difficult to believe that Moulds' main beef was that we weren't running more with a 21-0 lead, especially because we were running a lot more, and he wouldnt be getting the ball then either. I also find it impossible to believe that a coach would have a beef with a former star player for no reason, or that he would exclude him from the game plan for no good reason aftrer Eric had his best game the week before, or who listen to Moulds complain earlier in the year and took Moulds' advice by benching Losman and going with Holcomb.

523593[/snapback]

Obviously I have no idea what the real story is either...But I took Moulds comments about the "Smash Mouth" Offense-stuff to be more of a direct slap at Mularkey's inconsistancy of following through with his promises, rather than actually being a Miami Game specific comment...I thought Moulds just used the opportunity of the Miami debacle to air his personal frustrations about MM's Offensive philosophy and lack of consistancy...So even though it appeared on the surface that he was talking exclusively about the Miami Game, this was a deeper seeded concern of EM's.

I believe that #80 used the opportunity to get his little dig in on the HC who told all Bills Fans, Players, and anyone else who would listen, that this Offense would be Run 1st, Smash Mouth, then installed a Plan that is Gadget crazy and too cute...

Just the way I saw the comments...Maybe I'm reading too much into it...Who knows... B-)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BackInDaDay
or who listened to Moulds complain earlier in the year and took Moulds' advice by benching Losman and going with Holcomb.

523593[/snapback]

TD wanted Holcomb in to help back the Bills into the division crown and a home play-off game. With Donahoes blessing, Mularkey could have squelched the criticism of the O in his locker room. On the contrary, comments made by Moulds were used to rationalize the switch. Maybe that's where the Moulds/Mularkey relationship began to sour.

Do you actually think Mularkey took Mould's, or any other veteran player's, advice as to who playsand who sits?

Looking to next year, I wonder what the impact of seeing how veterans like Moulds and Adams are being treated will have on the ability to convince free agent veterans to come to Buffalo under the current regime.  I'm talking about quality veteran starters, not guys like Bennie Anderson.

523577[/snapback]

Excellent observation.

Thank you for making perfect sense. What would be the gain for MM?

MM has not been doing a good job as of late, but to pin the entire mess on his shoulders is simply dumb.

523619[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is saying that Mularkey is doing this for "no reason."

Rather, I believe that Mularkey may be over-reacting to something in bringing down the Keyshawn/TO treatment, but that his mis-management of the situation with a veteran player may have made a mild situation into a full-blown bad situation with accompanying media circus.

JDG

Oh, you mean until the KC game when we were playing a quarterback that could throw the ball more than 25 yards down the field and take advantage of fast guys?

523572[/snapback]

you mean the one with the 91.2 rating, the 67.7% completion rate, the 6-3 td/int ratio, and the 6.4 ypa average (as opposed to losman's 5.8)?

The only definite thing about this whole situation is that it clearly shows how horribly wrong things have gone at OBD.

For a 10 year vet who's always been a stand-up guy on this team to be reduced to a whiney B word this season can only be a result of horrendous mismanagement from the GM on down.

I don't agree with EM's actions - any player who gets millions to play a game should STFU and do what the coach tells him even if it's to clean Evans' jockstrap - but I've lost all hope for the current regime.

Things will not get better until Ralph cleans house from the GM on down.

RTB

I love reading The stadium wall's threads but rarely make my option know.

But here is my 2 cents about EM.

Over the past 10 years he has been my favorite player, so saying this is not easy.

I have notice that EM seems to be covered like peanut butter on bread all season long, except for when a DB falls down. (See final minutes of Panthers game).

I believe he's frustrated with the teams play to the point he has been lackluster in his play. Losing gets to be a habit and even the best of can become content with collecting a paycheck.

I believe MM has seen this too, hence the "benching/whatever".

Picture yourself as a HC with a vet you think isn't giving 100% all the time.

Especially a player who has been there longer than you have. But if you want to maintain control of the team you would have to be tough.

I also believe that when MM gave into the demands for a QB change earlier in the season, it hurt his position as the HC. Once the inmates start running the asylum it's hard to regain control.

Bottom line is I feel MM needs one more year to regain his teams respect.

I will be saddened to see EM leave but I will be watches as he career is rejuvenated with another team (hopefully in the NFC South so we won't have to play against him anytime soon).

OK beat me up, spit on me, and give me reasons not to post again.

But I'll keep reading.

Bottom line is I feel MM needs one more year to regain his teams respect.

I will be saddened to see EM leave but I will be watches as he career is rejuvenated with another team (hopefully in the NFC South so we won't have to play against him anytime soon).

OK beat me up, spit on me, and give me reasons not to post again.

But I'll keep reading.

very insightful question i guess i didnt think that through:). but what i mean is i bet there are a lot of women basketball players that mess around as well. but being a fan i am aware that this is commonplace in professional sports. so you cant just make his little adventures your reason for wanting him to be let go. because frankly the majority of players in the nfl do the same thing as him. and i dont have a poster of him in my den. i just dont jump the gun and react like a powder keg. mularkey was wrong in the way he handled this situation. he claimed to have handled the situation internally but clearly broughgt media attention to it. personally i think his career is in more jeopardy than moulds. plus what took you so long to respond lol.

523590[/snapback]

I didn't say that is the reason he should be gone, I just don't buy the PR that he is a great stand up guy, thats all... As far as the majority of players in the nfl do the same thing, I highly doubt it,,, after the second mistake its time to grow up......Last night I watched cowher call out the duce on the evening news responding to a question that a reporter asked....In bills land that would be considered a major mistake......I haven't seen the duce crying about it, or anyone else for that matter........Actually I could care less what moulds does just don't sell me the snake oil that he's a great stand up MAN..........I guess thats why alll 53 members of the vikings were on the love boat last time I checked maybe 15 of them were there!!! I'm not a big fan of mularkey but his nfl career is already much longer than that of EM..........Just a hunch but I would guess that some of the real men in the locker room would totally disagree with your belief that all MEN mess around...How many coaches is mouldy going to undermine maybe he should be calling out ol'whitey for the lack of talent that would make them a better team or maybe call out some of his buddy's......EM a great wideout ........never was, never will be!!!!!! Great is something reserved for guys like Andre Reed,,,Lofton,,ect. ect. Hell tasker was a better rec. than the great EM at least he hustled EVERY play.........

It's official. NFL Radio said Moulds has been suspended. Thanks TD and MM, you really are screwing us before you leave!

523740[/snapback]

Did I miss something? Did Moulds start fights in the locker room? Did Moulds publicly and repeatedly call his QB "gay"? As far as I can tell, he's getting punished like Owens for privately questioning the game plan on the sidelines?

B-) Even if Moulds is guilty of something, there's something seriously wrong with management, to take an issue that Moulds at LEAST was handling privately and with discretion (since, if he weren't, we'd have a better idea what was going on), and turning it into a public punishment.

And this is REALLY going to motivate the team. Anyone think we'll beat New England after this?

I have notice that EM seems to be covered like peanut butter on bread all season long, except for when a DB falls down. (See final minutes of Panthers game).

I believe he's frustrated with the teams play to the point he has been lackluster in his play. Losing gets to be a habit and even the best of can become content with collecting a paycheck.

I believe MM has seen this too, hence the "benching/whatever".

This post makes a lot more sense to me than most I've seen on this thread. As someone pointed out earlier, we don't really know why this benching is taking place. But your reasoning seems to make as much sense to me as anything. Maybe this is Mularkey's way of proving to the team there are no sacred cows, that even a player of Moulds' status can't rest on his laurels.

I dunno, but I'll be at the Denver game, hopefully I'll be drunk when I see Mularkey

523844[/snapback]

I would advise a heavy dosage of alcoholic beverages to those intending on watching the next 4 games...If not alcohol, an alternative mind altering substance, preferably a Hallucinogen that would successfully give the false impression that you are watching a quality NFL Organization... B-)

I didn't say that is the reason he should be gone, I just don't buy the PR that he is a great stand up guy, thats all... As far as the majority of players in the nfl do the same thing, I highly doubt it,,, after the second mistake its time to grow up......Last night I watched cowher call out the duce on the evening news responding to a question that a reporter asked....In bills land that would be considered a major mistake......I haven't seen the duce crying about it, or anyone else for that matter........Actually I could care less what moulds does just don't sell me the snake oil that he's a great stand up MAN..........I guess thats why alll 53 members of the vikings were on the love boat last time I checked maybe 15 of them were there!!! I'm not a big fan of mularkey but his nfl career is already  much longer than that of EM..........Just a hunch but I would guess that some of the real men in the locker room would totally disagree with your belief that all MEN mess around...How many coaches is mouldy going to undermine maybe he should be calling out ol'whitey for the lack of talent that would make them a better team or maybe call out some of his buddy's......EM a great wideout ........never was, never will be!!!!!!  Great is something reserved for guys like Andre Reed,,,Lofton,,ect. ect. Hell tasker was a better rec. than the great EM at least he hustled EVERY play.........

523810[/snapback]

im done with this. i do not concede my position and i still think you are way off your mark. he's been suspended, our season is over and i think we wont see the playoffs for a whole decade. so youy can sit there and be happy all yoou want. and as for me saying all nfl players do that. i did not. i said most (meaning a good number) of players have had illegitimate children. i never once called moulds a great receiver. moulds didnt undermine the coach. the coach undermined himself. and when the majority of the team supports moulds that says a lot maybe you should read the first post of this thread. its so sad to see fans like you who want all our players to be sissies and not stand up for what's right. whats right was to start moulds vs miami. yo uknow it i know it and every goddamn one of us here knows it. he was the one player who had the most experience against miami. tasker a better receiver than moulds?? you are so dumb!!! geez marvin harrison wouldnt be half as good as moulds if he were dealt the cards moulds was. moulds has played with 7 different qbs you moron!! and despite that, he was still able to be consistent and remain among the top 20 receivers annually. people like you dont deserve to follow the bills because you dont see the whole picture. you just take one aspect of someone's life which is really not any of yoru business and basically use it as an excuse to scapegoat someone. You saying moulds isnt a great receiver because of his off field antics is like calling magic johnson not so great cause he got aids by sleeping with many women. and though he won championships. he did so because his organization surrounded him with a great supporting cast of players. the bills became a ten cent prostitute for crappy qbs and didnt even try to hold on to the good ones. i am done replying to you on this. you are entitled to your IDIOTIC opinion and i am entitled to mine.

This post makes a lot more sense to me than most I've seen on this thread. As someone pointed out earlier, we don't really know why this benching is taking place. But your reasoning seems to make as much sense to me as anything. Maybe this is Mularkey's way of proving to the team there are no sacred cows, that even a player of Moulds' status can't rest on his laurels.

523852[/snapback]

Yet the offensive line continues to get pats on the back and "atta boys" from Malarkey and Donahoe when questioned of their pathetic play from the media. The offensive line has had more lackluster efforts than Paris Hilton has had sex partners. I'll take an angry, rowdy, in your face Eric Moulds over any one of our pitiful offensive lineman who have elevated the term "lackluster effort" in 2005. As long as you shut up, Malarkey and Donahoe will tell everyone that you're great even if you suck.

Moulds is suspended--Adams was suspended.  Who next?  You just sense Mularkey has no control over this team and that he is losing the players.  Do they want to play for him?????

523865[/snapback]

I would have to say that they are taking control of the locker room from the likes of sam adams and eric moulds, there are alot of young players in there that don't need to follow their path if playing in the nfl is a career goal.......Hopfully the young guys will come out and seize the chance to play and kick the crap out of n.e ............we'll find out sunday.......

It looks like you already agree on a lack of paragraphs.  :doh:

(trying to lighten things up)  B-)

523894[/snapback]

hah thanks. its so frustrating that we have to go through a constant teasing of hope that we will get to the promised land and then TD successfully gives us a case of the blue balls for playoffs. and that mularkey is a joke for a coach who basically hates his best players. wow. never thought i would see the day.

I would advise a heavy dosage of alcoholic beverages to those intending on watching the next 4 games...If not alcohol, an alternative mind altering substance, preferably a Hallucinogen that would successfully give the false impression that you are watching a quality NFL Organization... B-)

523870[/snapback]

hahahahahahahahahahahaha. i swear i am going histerical. what kind of coach suspends the number one receiver because he privately disagreed with him?? what a pussyfoot. my god. thi ssunday is gonna be so funny to watch.

hah thanks. its so frustrating that we have to go through a constant teasing of hope that we will get to the promised land and then TD successfully gives us a case of the blue balls for playoffs. and that mularkey is a joke for a coach who basically hates his best players. wow. never thought i would see the day.

523897[/snapback]

How old are you?

This is nothing new with this organization, my friend.

In fact, this is S.O.P.

How old are you?

This is nothing new with this organization, my friend.

In fact, this is S.O.P.

523905[/snapback]

yeah i know it isnt new but its just gotten to a climax at this point. im 23. yea i know you've probably endured a lot more especially during the 80's before the kelly days. i bet it must have been sweet when we went 4 times in a row for you after waiting so long. whats s.o.p?

Did I miss something?  Did Moulds start fights in the locker room?  Did Moulds publicly and repeatedly call his QB "gay"?  As far as I can tell, he's getting punished like Owens for privately questioning the game plan on the sidelines?

B-)  Even if Moulds is guilty of something, there's something seriously wrong with management, to take an issue that Moulds at LEAST was handling privately and with discretion (since, if he weren't, we'd have a better idea what was going on), and turning it into a public punishment. 

And this is REALLY going to motivate the team.  Anyone think we'll beat New England after this?

523833[/snapback]

Well, there was this public statement:

Moulds did question why they didn't run the ball more to run down the clock in the second half. The game's momentum turned when Bills quarterback J.P. Losman threw an interception on first-and-goal from the 3 late in the third quarter.

"You're up 21-0, you've got to be able to pound the football and ... wear them down," Moulds said. "We had some spread formations, trying to do some crazy stuff and turning the ball over, keeping the defense on the field for God knows how long. You can't win a game like that."

Linky-poo

But your point is well taken.

Well, there was this public statement:

Linky-poo

But your point is well taken.

523940[/snapback]

Okay, he's being suspended for making a public statement questioning Wile E. Coyote's game plan...him, a receiver, questioning why they didn't try to run the ball more to win the game.

And for that he's suspended?

Yeah, that's much better... :devil:

Just as I suspected, Mularkey didn't say much at the press conference. Moulds has a meeting with Wilson tomorrow.

So Mularkey now denies trying to suspend him. What happened is Ralph Wilson did not approve the suspension for Moulds. How do you feel now Mike?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-b...ov=ap&type=lgns

Okay, he's being suspended for making a public statement questioning Wile E. Coyote's game plan...him, a receiver, questioning why they didn't try to run the ball more to win the game.

And for that he's suspended?

Yeah, that's much better...  :devil:

524355[/snapback]

You can't air your laundry in public like that! Didn't you see the Godfather slap Sonny in the face and say, "What's the matter with you!! Don't ever let somebody outside the family know what you're thinking!!"

And ultimately, Sonny got cut down at the toll booth. Moulds will just get cut.

You can't air your laundry in public like that!  Didn't you see the Godfather slap Sonny in the face and say, "What's the matter with you!!  Don't ever let somebody outside the family know what you're thinking!!"

And ultimately, Sonny got cut down at the toll booth.  Moulds will just get cut.

524369[/snapback]

Wow do you have THAT all screwed-up. Sonny was not wacked by the Corleone's.

You know what, perhaps this is just another example of Mularkey's strategic genius at work. He fake-suspends Moulds so the Pats will think they have to plan a game around Evans as primary receiver, Ralph "declines," and then Moulds actually plays and burns the Pats! No doubt Moulds is just playing along for maximum effect. 2% edge indeed! :devil:

There are 147 Wideouts in the NFL with a better Yards Per Catch average than Eric Moulds, yet he's the 4th highest paid Wide Receiver in football.

Nostaligia is the single biggest cap killer, even surpassing poor draft and FA decisions.

who I will not name.

1. Moulds was not in the game plan period.  This was established days before the game.

2. Moulds asked the coaches what the deal was.  Coach said this gave them best chance to win.

3. Moulds suggested that if he is merely a decoy, he should be benched.

4. Coach got angry and benched him.

5. Moulds has since been suspended.

Perhaps this is no new information, but wanted to pass this along.

523306[/snapback]

If this is true, you have to wonder why he would even be a decoy. What's the point? Mularkey and Moulds have a meeting tomorrow with owner Ralph Wilson. Hopefully the outcome will turn out alright for everyone.

You can't air your laundry in public like that! 

So the front office calls attention to it by suspending him - not just suspending him, but dithering over it for a few days so it gets plenty of media play and turns into a soap opera? Like I said elsewhere...even if Moulds did deserve it, that doesn't mean the front office handled it well.

Didn't you see the Godfather slap Sonny in the face and say, "What's the matter with you!!  Don't ever let somebody outside the family know what you're thinking!!"

And ultimately, Sonny got cut down at the toll booth.  Moulds will just get cut.

524369[/snapback]

Of course, Don Corleone slapped Johnny Fontane and said "What's the matter with you!!" He was perfectly calm and reasonable when he told Sonny "Don't ever let somebody outside the family know what you're thinking!!"

And ultimately, both Sonny and Vito Corleone were gunned down... :devil: