Ray Davis tidbit

Posted (edited)

Watching the 2024 Embedded episode on the draft I noticed that McDermott said something along the lines of ,”We gotta get Van Pran” and then Beane says, “I’m gonna go Ray Davis here (in the 4th) then Van Pran” It’s awesome it worked out but this tells me that our scouting staff thinks very highly of Ray Davis. At the very least they liked him enough so to risk pissing off the head coach.

Thankfully Van Pran was still there in the 5th for us but the fact that Beane targeted and liked Ray Davis over all the other RB at that time says something. 

It’s something I found it interesting as maybe it means that Ray Davis will be in for a bigger role than we thought. 

Edited by billvernsays
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Posted (edited)

I recall that moment. I don't think McDermott was advocating for taking Van Pran with the Davis pick, and then was overruled. To me it sounded like a snippet from a conversation in which McDermott was trying to confirm targets for that round. 

That said, I like Ray Davis a heck of a lot.

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Seems that way because it is that way.

Yes - the silliest thing on this board is the narrative that McDermott runs the draft.  Well - the 2nd silliest thing - the first silliest being that we should have drafted a player we didn't want in the 1st round so that the Chiefs wouldn't get him

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I never got the memo that Brandon Beane wasn't fully in charge of the draft. I mean his job is assembling the roster. 

The NFL draft is what he is judged on.  Ultimately it is his  success or failure on the line. He BETTER be in charge.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Pissing off McDermott? Good! He’s certainly pissed us off enough times!

I’m on record believing Davis will unseat Cook so I love this pick -and Beane’s confidence.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He’s a guy so had my eye on for dynasty fantasy football before he was a Buffalo Bill. 

I love that they went after a RB with 3 down ability and didn’t just take any RB who can run. 

Keeping guys on the field who can run, catch and block keeps the defense guessing. 

I think our offense is going to look a lot different this year and it’s gonna be awesome. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I'm interested in McDermott needing a non-versatile center. Seems like he has a need/plan for him instead of some type of defensive player.

He didn’t need a non-versatile Center, he needed a Center.  He was just available because of the perception (likely accurate) that he can’t play Guard.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billvernsays said:

Watching the 2024 Embedded episode on the draft I noticed that McDermott said something along the lines of ,”We gotta get Van Pran” and then Beane says, “I’m gonna go Ray Davis here (in the 4th) then Van Pran” It’s awesome it worked out but this tells me that our scouting staff thinks very highly of Ray Davis. At the very least they liked him enough so to risk pissing off the head coach.

Thankfully Van Pran was still there in the 5th for us but the fact that Beane targeted and liked Ray Davis over all the other RB at that time says something. 

It’s something I found it interesting as maybe it means that Ray Davis will be in for a bigger role than we thought. 

That's the  thing about non-premium/devalued positions...........you can usually find some players who look like they can become early career starters on day 3.   Time will tell if they made a mistake selecting those positions to patch holes instead of leaning into premium position players at WR, OT and pass rusher and gambling a bit for potential higher impact return.   It was a super-needy looking draft.   Those tend to disappoint,  hopefully that's not the case.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Beane agreed to get VP,BUT he flat told McDermott he was taking Davis 1st.  Seems Beane had final say on the picks

That should have been evident years ago from watching the embedded videos. Beane does his job. McDermott does his. They both report to Pegula. McDermott likely gives his input in the pre-draft process, like he should, but Beane and his team run the draft.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

He didn’t need a non-versatile Center, he needed a Center.  He was just available because of the perception (likely accurate) that he can’t play Guard.  

Sure, but it seems to me the desire relates to need and that we may not be happy, or at least satisfied, with our current center options.

32 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Another tidbit...  His first name isn't actually Ray. 

His full name is: Re’Mahn Walter Zhamar Jamar Davis.

Gee....I wonder why he decided to shorten it to Ray.🤔🙂

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Beane agreed to get VP,BUT he flat told McDermott he was taking Davis 1st.  Seems Beane had final say on the picks

He should have final word. McD doesn’t need to be involved in player evaluation, it’s not his job. He should be like most other coaches in the league and shut up and color during the actual draft since I’m sure months prior he told Beane what “he needs”

• Agree 1

I know Davis is the new prospect so there generally is excitement for the new guy but I think this could become his backfield with cook spelling him. either way should be a nice one-two punch.

• Eyeroll 1

On 5/25/2024 at 6:30 PM, hondo in seattle said:

Another tidbit...  His first name isn't actually Ray. 

His full name is: Re’Mahn Walter Zhamar Jamar Davis.

That there is a mouthful!!