OTAs 5/21

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Here's the full McDermott quote on Claypool:

"Very impressed with Chase. Really just starting with his approach, here's a veteran receiver, former high pick, that has been on a journey, right, through the course of recently in his career. I applaud Chase for coming here to see where things go. He's very focused, he's working extremely hard day in and day out. And embracing not just the wide receiver role that he could play for us, but also the special teams role that he could play for us. You don't find that a lot around the NFL where a player has been at a certain level and then is on a mission right now to reclaim what he once was in that regard. And those are my words, maybe not fair to Chase, respectfully, but I would just say like very impressed with his day to day approach, true pro, high character, smart player, and he's been a good addition to our team."

This is extremely high praise from the normally tight lipped McDermott. No clue if it will translate on the field but it's a good sign.

I'm rooting for him. I know what it's like to get in my own way, so I get it.  Would be great to see him turn it around and change the narrative 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Yeah, he may be slow but seems to have really fast hands.  Snatches the ball out of the air.

Wasn't he the drummer for The Police?

Every time I see/hear our new RB (Ray Davis), I think of the lead singer for The Kinks.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Man. 👀

I don't know how the WR corps will ultimately come together but there's a clear theme - size, vertical jump, catch radius. They are going in the total opposite direction of recent years as far as outside WRs go. I've always felt Allen would thrive with that style of WR which is why I was so high on Coleman in the draft. If Claypool can get close to what he was his first two seasons we suddenly have multiple physical studs on the field with Josh Allen, for the first time in his career.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know how the WR corps will ultimately come together but there's a clear theme - size, vertical jump, catch radius. They are going in the total opposite direction of recent years as far as outside WRs go. I've always felt Allen would thrive with that style of WR which I was so high on Coleman in the draft. If Claypool can get close to what he was his first two seasons we suddenly have multiple physical studs on the field with Josh Allen, for the first time in his career.

Lots of tipped balls and contested passes when you play the big sized physical guys.

Could be great. Could be INT city.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Shows where their mentality is…This is a growing year- not a year of championship expectations, and rightfully so…👍

I think they just realized it was incredibly corny. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I didn't see Samuel there at all. Was it reported that he didn't participate?

Samuel makes a catch right at the start of the video, about 28-29 seconds in.  He is wearing #1.

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He was there. #1.  What I noticed the most is all the guys reaching out and plucking the ball out of the air vs body catching.

Yeah, I commented about Coleman but you're right, it was all of them.  Playing against air, but every catch seemed to be hands. 

However, if you think about the plays that we've seen, there weren't any deep balls with guys making arm catches.  There weren't any deep balls that I can recall.  It might be a sign of what's to come, but mostly I think it was a day to work out kinks and practice some basics.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know how the WR corps will ultimately come together but there's a clear theme - size, vertical jump, catch radius. They are going in the total opposite direction of recent years as far as outside WRs go. I've always felt Allen would thrive with that style of WR which I was so high on Coleman in the draft. If Claypool can get close to what he was his first two seasons we suddenly have multiple physical studs on the field with Josh Allen, for the first time in his career.

Good stuff.

And remember, I think the consensus around here has been that Valdez-Scantling is the one who's more likely to be a factor.   So, if Claypool doesn't pan out (he's still a longshot), MVS isn't a bad alternative.  

So long as Coleman emerges as a real threat, it's likely that someone will step up as the complementary piece.   

It's looking like an interesting collection of receivers.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, I thought he was a clear upgrade over mckenzie.  I was wrong about him AND Harty.  As a man, I can admit it when I’m wrong. Unlike others, who have apparently never been wrong.  

Sherfield brought more to the table as at least he was an asset in the run game.  He was an upgrade over mckenzie.  

Harty clearly lost a step and didn’t have the explosiveness I remembered from NO.  He signed another contract.  

Kumerow is on the couch like Chad Kelly and Mckenzie likely has a job because Schoen and Daboll like him as a person. 

I may have gone overboard with how much better Sherfield and Harty were compared to lil dummy and Kumerow, but they are better. 

speaking of Scott-  where you at my guy?  Homie changed his username or leave the board?

I can sign up for my Crow Plate Special too.  I don't see Sherfield as being at all the same type player as McKenzie or being asked to fill the same role.  But I thought Harty would be an upgrade on what McKenzie was good at - quick slants and gadget plays, getting open against man - while also being able to run a fuller route tree.  I was wrong, and I agree with you that Harty appeared to have lost the speed and quickness he showed in 2021 in NO.

I disagree that Schoen and Daboll signed McKenzie because "they like him as a person".  This is Daboll's 3rd season in NYC.  He's definitely sitting in a hot skillet unless they win.  Same for Schoen who is charged with getting Daboll the goods, and who made decisions like "pay Danny Dimes the Big Bucks".    It would be stupid to sign a player just because they like him.  Daboll used McKenzie very very effectively in 2020 and 2021.  I suspect Schoen and scouts watched the tape to ask "is he still fast?" "Yep" and they decided he could help the team win, if used as he was in B'lo.  He also returned punts and kicks for the Ponies last season, so there's that.

As far as Sherfield, I think his role was to replace Kumerow on ST but be a better WR.  And he was - marginally, but not by as big a margin as I thought so I will take my slice o' Crow Pie.

Edited by Beck Water

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Those videos of course don't show any drops by Coleman, but it's pretty clear the guy is a hands catcher.  Catches it like Kincaid.  

Not quite - not as smooth and effortless for the ordinary receptions.  But still, very clean at the catch point.  All of them.

That's probably important.  McKenzie on his podcasts with Dunne talked about it hurting to catch throws from Allen.  McKenzie was a notorious and persistent body-catcher.  Diggs once made the comment that Josh's throws  don't hurt to catch "if you catch them right".

Gabe Davis also had a non-standard way of catching balls outside his frame, which I don't think served him well at times.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Hey, Lard Ass!

Going for the Babe Ruth of QBs look this season

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Shows where their mentality is…This is a growing year- not a year of championship expectations, and rightfully so…👍

Should just put up some white flags already