Should the Bills add an Edge after 6/1?

15 hours ago, DJB said:

I disagree. We had zero pass rush last year and we did almost nothing to improve it. 

Douglas was our best corner once he arrived and Benford is solid. We lack depth but to me DE is a much more concerning question mark. 

4th in the league in sacks!  You may not like what we have done but please couch your takes in reality.  And if you say “but that wasn’t from the edge” you’re just arguing against yourself cause that shows we don’t need edge. I would like more confidence in the room too but wow this was a silly take. 

• Agree 1

Said it elsewhere but the pass rush move(for some contender) will probably be to trade for Khalil Mack at the deadline.

His base salary is near league minimum so the acquiring team would basically need almost no cap room to add him.........so he would be a hot commodity if the Chargers aren't in contention.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DJB said:

I disagree. We had zero pass rush last year and we did almost nothing to improve it. 

Douglas was our best corner once he arrived and Benford is solid. We lack depth but to me DE is a much more concerning question mark. 

Disagree- Our pass rush was poor in the last month or so, but we were 4th in the nfl

in sacks, 6 off the lead.  We had one of the better pass rushes the majority of the season…but Floyd fell off a cliff in the last 3rd of the season and we suffered because of it.  Not to mention Von being useless.  I think von will give us similar to what Floyd gave us last year.  Still would’ve liked to add a better pass rusher than Smoot.  One injury to Rousseau or AJ and we could be in big trouble 

eager to see what Soloman can do.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Disagree- Our pass rush was poor in the last month or so, but we were 4th in the nfl

in sacks, 6 off the lead.  We had one of the better pass rushes the majority of the season…but Floyd fell off a cliff in the last 3rd of the season and we suffered because of it.  Not to mention Von being useless.  I think von will give us similar to what Floyd gave us last year.  Still would’ve liked to add a better pass rusher than Smoot.  One injury to Rousseau or AJ and we could be in big trouble 

eager to see what Soloman can do.  

How much of that was inflated by our 9 sack performance of Washington early in the season? 

I know lots of great defenses feast on the bad teams, but I didn’t feel the Bills had a particularly strong pass rush last year compared to the rest of the league to my eye.

• Agree 1

They have to do something.  Everyone on this forum can honestly say " In Von we Don't trust"

They need some talent there somehow, some way.  It will probably happen after all the preseason games are over.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

How much of that was inflated by our 9 sack performance of Washington early in the season? 

I know lots of great defenses feast on the bad teams, but I didn’t feel the Bills had a particularly strong pass rush last year compared to the rest of the league to my eye.

Dude said we had ZERO PASS RUSH. 

doesn’t matter if the numbers were inflated by a game.  We didn’t have zero pass rush. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Said it elsewhere but the pass rush move(for some contender) will probably be to trade for Khalil Mack at the deadline.

His base salary is near league minimum so the acquiring team would basically need almost no cap room to add him.........so he would be a hot commodity if the Chargers aren't in contention.

The Chargers will be in contention. Harbaugh is that dude. He doesn’t have staying power but they are a lock to be a WC team imo.

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Chargers will be in contention. Harbaugh is that dude. He doesn’t have staying power but they are a lock to be a WC team imo.

He is also that dude that might still trade Mack then anyway, too. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4th in sacks is so misleading.

As others pointed out, they had 9 against garbage Commanders.

Only 1 sack in two playoff games.

A lot of that was Miller being terrible and Floyd disappearing in Nov. 

DE and pass rush is biggest weakness on the team. Josh can cover up for the WR group to some extent. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

4th in sacks is so misleading.

As others pointed out, they had 9 against garbage Commanders.

Only 1 sack in two playoff games.

A lot of that was Miller being terrible and Floyd disappearing in Nov. 

DE and pass rush is biggest weakness on the team. Josh can cover up for the WR group to some extent. 

I agree with you, but #1WR is a close second, IMO.

• Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I agree with you, but #1WR is a close second, IMO.

I don't know,  safety might be second. Lots of perennial backups and a rookie from Utah. 

Then LB is a big question mark. No idea how Milano will come back. Williams was fast but out of control. Added a couple nice insurance pieces in FA 

I think they will be ok at WR. Just will not have a guy that catches 110 balls. 

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I don't know,  safety might be second. Lots of perennial backups and a rookie from Utah. 

Then LB is a big question mark. No idea how Milano will come back. Williams was fast but out of control. Added a couple nice insurance pieces in FA 

I think they will be ok at WR. Just will not have a guy that catches 110 balls. 

I think with the addition of Delany and having Hyde as a "break glass in case of emergency". Safety looks ok, now who is the 4th outside CB? That is where I see our biggest hole on the roster.

3 hours ago, Craig Oi said:

I think with the addition of Delany and having Hyde as a "break glass in case of emergency". Safety looks ok, now who is the 4th outside CB? That is where I see our biggest hole on the roster.

If we are using the fourth CB, they are already screwed...The top 3 can all be very good. Elam may yet turn out to be good if given the chance. 

They have zero depth at nickel. If Johnson misses any time it will be interesting to see what they do. Anyone but Lewis would be good but McD will probably have Lewis in that role.

On 5/17/2024 at 11:07 AM, BarleyNY said:

Lots of talk here about adding a WR, but to me a pass rushing DE looks like the biggest need on this team. Our top three are Rousseau, Miller and Epenesa. I don’t know what Miller will provide this season, but I don’t want the Bills to have to depend on him. I linked Spotrac’s available FA Edge players below. Thoughts on who might be a reasonable addition on or around 6/2?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/_/year/2024/status/available/position/edge/sort/contract_value

If history is any indication it will once again be a pass rusher to be the “big money” free agent. We did it last year with Floyd and a couple years ago with Von. Would be awesome to go trade for a vet like Adams or Hopkins for Josh but I think Beane is happy with his one year rentals competing in camp. 

42 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If we are using the fourth CB, they are already screwed...The top 3 can all be very good. Elam may yet turn out to be good if given the chance. 

They have zero depth at nickel. If Johnson misses any time it will be interesting to see what they do. Anyone but Lewis would be good but McD will probably have Lewis in that role.

I agree on corner. I think we’re fine and Ingram has been being groomed for a couple years and showed well last preseason. We do have the rookie nickel corner to back up Taron so we’re fine there but I won’t complain if they bring back Gilmore on a year deal

On 5/17/2024 at 11:08 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Javon Solomon is going to be a force as a rookie IMO 

I agree. He’s  going to shock people. Matt Milano vibes. Will take half the season to get settled in and he will produce end of the season and playoffs. 

4 hours ago, Craig Oi said:

I think with the addition of Delany and having Hyde as a "break glass in case of emergency". Safety looks ok

I agree. Safety is fine and thank God Hamlin is probably gone. I do think Hyde would come back if needed and that gives me comfort come playoffs. He’s got a few good games left in him and would love for him to win a SB on this squad