Should the Bills add an Edge after 6/1?

I hope so, but I don’t see it with the signing of Smoot.  1.75m gtd.  that’s one of my least favorite offseason moves, although I get it.  He’s the power backup end.  I just don’t like the player and would rather we held out and  gotten someone with more pass rush upside.  

Groot, AJ, Von, smoot are pretty much locks looking at contracts.  Solomon, Jonathan and toohill battle for 5th.  I like soloman and I expect him to battle Jonathan.  Hopefully we can get the remaining on the ps.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hope so, but I don’t see it with the signing of Smoot.  1.75m gtd.  that’s one of my least favorite offseason moves, although I get it.  He’s the power backup end.  I just don’t like the player and would rather we held out and  gotten someone with more pass rush upside.  

Groot, AJ, Von, smoot are pretty much locks looking at contracts.  Solomon, Jonathan and toohill battle for 5th.  I like soloman and I expect him to battle Jonathan.  Hopefully we can get the remaining on the ps.

Yea, I really dislike the group they put together. Maybe even more so than WR. Very little pass rush upside, outside of a raw 5th round pick. 

The hope is Von returns to his old self, but that's likely a long shot and certainly not something you can rely on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I mean that would be OK.  It's possible he has 10-12 sacks as a situational pass rusher.  I'm not familiar with his abilities against the run

I'd like to see some staggered D looks or 3-4 type alignments on 3rd downs.... essentially Von and Javon lining up at OLB

Rousseau     DaQuan    Oliver   
Von                                                      Solomon 

? We just signed a Safety who has played in 49 games for the Bucs and is at the very least the 4th Safety on the depth chart 

Who did we sign?  Had a busy week and missed it.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Bring back Jerry Hughes to play the Shaq Lawson role. 

I’d like to see Hughes back as a situational pass rusher. It’d be nice to have him on the team again and he seems like he still has a season or two (of situational play) left in the tank. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DJB said:

Yes  if it’s financially feasible.

DE is our weakest position on the team as it stands. Von looked like a shell of himself and Roussea or anyone else hasn’t stepped up in the pass rush department.

If it makes sense I think Beane will do it 

I agree, pass rusher is clearly our weakest position.  Von, AJE & Groot will be lucky to touch 7-8 sacks. Floyd is gone and who knows what we have in Solomon?  We just don't have a dynamic qb stopper on the roster and besides wr, de will be prioritized next draft.

The only remaining fa I'd even consider on a cheaper deal would be Ngakoue. He might still have a 10 sack season in him.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Lots of talk here about adding a WR, but to me a pass rushing DE looks like the biggest need on this team. Our top three are Rousseau, Miller and Epenesa. I don’t know what Miller will provide this season, but I don’t want the Bills to have to depend on him. I linked Spotrac’s available FA Edge players below. Thoughts on who might be a reasonable addition on or around 6/2?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/_/year/2024/status/available/position/edge/sort/contract_value

Javon Solomon is going to be a force as a rookie IMO 

Solomon could absolutely contribute this year. He has a knack of getting to the passer despite some limitations in terms of length.

WR and edge are different types of needs. The problem at WR is that you’re missing the top of the depth chart. You don’t have a number 1 and may not have a number 2. Your 3-10 would stack up against any team in the league. If Shakir, Coleman, Samuel, MVS, Hollins, etc… had 2 guys above them (or at least 1 alpha) they would be fine. 

DE is a little thin but have a clear top. Toohill had 6.5 sacks last year (at least I think). Solomon led college football in sacks. It isn’t great but it’s a serviceable room. They too are missing an alpha (unless Von returns to form) but they’ll manage to get some pressure as they did last year. The Bills were 4th in sacks last year with zero from Von. They lose Floyd but gain Toohill, Solomon and a healthier Von.

• Like (+1) 1

Javon Solomon is going to be a force as a rookie IMO 

I hope he develops into a stud, but depending on anything from a 5th round rookie making the transition from Troy to the NFL would be foolhardy. Miracles happen, but that’s basically what you’re forecasting. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

They already added the vet DE they should have added with the signing of Smoot. D.Smoot is 29 this upcoming season so not too old to have a good season. The reason he was a low end signing was because he had an Achilles injury in 2022 and didn't have the best 2023. Smoot was an early 3rd round pick in 2017 and after two seasons where he didn't do much he settled into a good rotational DE as he had 5-6 sacks each season from 2019-2022. He wasn't very effective in 2023 due to the injury he suffered in 2022 as he only had one sack. But being another year removed from injury I think he will help take on some of those back end DE rotation snaps. I see him as hopefully a more effective Shaq Lawson. 

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Solomon could absolutely contribute this year. He has a knack of getting to the passer despite some limitations in terms of length.

WR and edge are different types of needs. The problem at WR is that you’re missing the top of the depth chart. You don’t have a number 1 and may not have a number 2. Your 3-10 would stack up against any team in the league. If Shakir, Coleman, Samuel, MVS, Hollins, etc… had 2 guys above them (or at least 1 alpha) they would be fine. 

DE is a little thin but have a clear top. Toohill had 6.5 sacks last year (at least I think). Solomon led college football in sacks. It isn’t great but it’s a serviceable room. They too are missing an alpha (unless Von returns to form) but they’ll manage to get some pressure as they did last year. The Bills were 4th in sacks last year with zero from Von. They lose Floyd but gain Toohill, Solomon and a healthier Von.

I think that each squad lacks true difference makers. One elite WR and that squad looks so different. Samuel and Shakir as options 2 and 3 (in either order) and Coleman to develop. I’d sure take that.

Similarly the DE room lacks a difference maker (barring a Von miracle). If we had the old Von or equivalent talent, then Rousseau could be a lot more effective in his complimentary role. As it stands he’s going to limited like we’ve seen since Von got hurt.

But I think the WR room can be adequate. They at least have the different roles covered. For example, MVS has drop issues, but he can play X and get deep. At least that is nominally covered. But I don’t see where our outside pass rush is coming from. Unless Von has a resurgence or another player takes a huge leap forward (both very unlikely), then we don’t have much of a pass rush. Obviously the consequences of that would be severe.

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think that each squad lacks true difference makers. One elite WR and that squad looks so different. Samuel and Shakir as options 2 and 3 (in either order) and Coleman to develop. I’d sure take that.

Similarly the DE room lacks a difference maker (barring a Von miracle). If we had the old Von or equivalent talent, then Rousseau could be a lot more effective in his complimentary role. As it stands he’s going to limited like we’ve seen since Von got hurt.

But I think the WR room can be adequate. They at least have the different roles covered. For example, MVS has drop issues, but he can play X and get deep. At least that is nominally covered. But I don’t see where our outside pass rush is coming from. Unless Von has a resurgence or another player takes a huge leap forward (both very unlikely), then we don’t have much of a pass rush. Obviously the consequences of that would be severe.

I guess that I don’t think Floyd is as big of a loss. They were okay there last year. He was really good until like Thanksgiving. Toohill had 6.5 sacks and Solomon led the nation. That combination, with Von getting healthy, can hopefully offset Floyd’s departure. They were 4th in the league in sacks so they got pressure. Is it crazy to think that Toohill, Solomon, Von, Epenesa and Rousseau combine for 30 sacks? You can get another 15ish out of the guys on the inside and 5-10 out of everyone else and you’re back near the league lead in sacks.

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that I don’t think Floyd is as big of a loss. They were okay there last year. He was really good until like Thanksgiving. Toohill had 6.5 sacks and Solomon led the nation. That combination, with Von getting healthy, can hopefully offset Floyd’s departure. They were 4th in the league in sacks so they got pressure. Is it crazy to think that Toohill, Solomon, Von, Epenesa and Rousseau combine for 30 sacks? You can get another 15ish out of the guys on the inside and 5-10 out of everyone else and you’re back near the league lead in sacks.

I hope you are right and I’m underselling this group. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I hope you are right and I’m underselling this group. 

I don’t think that they’re great but have produced. I’m way more concerned about the WR group because they don’t have anyone that requires attention. The DL at least has Oliver. If Von ever bounces back, they’re difficult to account for. They have a bunch of guys that are pretty good and 1 guy at an all-pro(ish) level. 

Man’s gotta have an edge…, 

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Honestly, at this point, I'd rather use the post June 1st money on a dependable outside corner than an edge.

Exactly when I look at the roster and see only 3 outside corners. That seems like the biggest hole left.