WR Candidates - Who Does Beane Keep?

Posted (edited)

Shakir, Samuel, and Coleman have guaranteed roster spots.  So which strand(s) of spaghetti stick to wall (make the roster)? Will the Bills keep 2 or 3 of the strands?  

1. Mack Hollins - 1 year $2,600,000 (cap hit 2.48 - Dead Cap -$1.1)

6'4" 221, age 30, 4th rd pikc (118th Philly) in 2017 out of UNC

40 - 4.53, 10 - 1.59

Career - 95 games, 27 starts, 222 Tgt, 131 Rec, 1691 yards, 12.9 yards/c, 59% reception %

Best - 2022 - 17g, 16 starts 94 Tgt, 57 Rec, 690 yards, 12.1 yards/c, 60.6% reception  %

2. Marquez Valdes-Scantling - 1 year $1,125,000 (cap hit 1.125 - Dead Cap -$TBD)

6'4" 206, age 29, 5th rd pick (174th) in 2018 out of S Florida.

40 - 4.37, 10 - 1.49

Career - 92 games, 60 starts, 370 Tgt, 186 Rec, 3155 yards, 17 yards/c, 50.3% reception %

Best - 2020 - 16g, 12 starts 63 Tgt, 33 Rec, 690 yards, 20.9 yards/c, 52.4% reception %

3. Chase Claypool - 1 year $1,135,000 (cap hit 1.085 - Dead Cap -$25K)

6'4" 238, age 25, 2nd rd pick (49th, Pitt) in 2020 out of ND.

40 - 4.42, 10 - 1.52

Career - 58 games, 32 starts, 314 Tgt, 175 Rec, 2261 yards, 12.9 yards/c, 55.7% reception %

Best - 2020 - 16g, 6 starts 109 Tgt, 62 Rec, 873 yards, 14.1 yards/c, 56.9% reception %

4. KJ Hamler - 1 year $1,055,000 (cap hit 1.055 - Dead Cap -0)

5'9" 178, age 24, 2nd rd pick (46th, Den) in 2020 out of Penn St.

40 - 4.36, 

Career - 23 games, 6 starts, 80 Tgt, 42 Rec, 620 yards, 14.8 yards/c, 52.5% reception %

Best - 2020 - 13g, 4 starts 56 Tgt, 30 Rec, 381 yards, 12.7 yards/c, 53.6% reception %

5. Quintez Cephus - 1 year $1,055,000 (cap hit $1.055 - Dead Cap -8K)

6'1" 208, age 26, 5th rd pick (166th, Det) in 2020 out of Wisconsin.

40 - 4.73, 10 - 1.59

Career - 22 games, 6 starts, 60 Tgt, 37 Rec, 568 yards, 15.4 yards/c, 61.7% reception %

Best - 2020 - 13g, 2 starts 35 Tgt, 20 Rec, 349 yards, 17.5 yards/c, 61.8% reception %

6. Andy Isabella - 1 year $1,133,000 (cap hit 993K - Dead Cap -8K)

5'9" 188, age 27, 2nd rd pick (62nd, AZ) in 2019 out of U Mass.

40 - 4.31, 10 - 1.45

Career - 43 games, 3 starts, 54 Tgt, 33 Rec, 447 yards, 13.5 yards/c, 61.1% reception %

Best - 2020 - 13g, 2 starts 35 Tgt, 21 Rec, 224 yards, 10.7 yards/c, 60% reception %

7. Justin Shorter - 3 years $4,163,948 (cap hit $876K - Dead Cap - 243K)

6'4" 229, age 24, 5th rd pick (150 th, Buf) in 2023 out of Florida.

40 - 4.55, 10 - 1.59

8. Tyrell Shavers - 2 yr $1,764,000 (cap hit $799.5 - Dead Cap - 9K)

6'4" 211, age 24, UDFA (Buf) in 2023 out of San Diego St.

40 - 4.59, 10 - 1.63

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 3

Hollins and MVS will stick. I see it as either Shorter or Claypool sticking for the final spot. Shorter has the edge as a Draft Investment, if all things are equal. Everyone else is a very long shot with the Practice Squad as their most likely ceiling.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Coleman

samuel

shakir

Hollins

MVS

Then a battle for 6

54 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Hollins and MVS will stick. I see it as either Shorter or Claypool sticking for the final spot. Shorter has the edge as a Draft Investment, if all things are equal. Everyone else is a very long shot with the Practice Squad as their most likely ceiling.

If Hamler stays healthy he’ll be one to watch 

Edited by GolfandBills

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think the first 5 are obvious, then the rest fight for the 6th spot.

I’m hoping Claypool or Hamler rise up and take that spot.  IMO those are two guys with the most talent out of that group. 

Edited by GolfandBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

If Hamler stays healthy he’ll be one to watch 

It's not *impossible*. But I see it as a very big longshot.

He's this year's Isabella, almost to a T. A former 2nd Round Pick that busted off his Drafted team. Now we're his 3rd team in less than a year.

If we're the 3rd team to let him walk in under a year, including the team that spent a 2nd for him and gave up on him, it's kind of the kiss of death. We know that the odds of him being signed to another teams 53 after that is pretty low - regardless of how he looks in the 3rd and 4th Quarters of Pre-Season games with Mitch Trubisky and Shane Buechele.

Just like Isabella, who looked pretty darn good in the Pre-Season last year - Hamler has a stink on him that doesn't come off with one good Pre-Season in garbage time. I think they'll view other guys as more likely to not make it to the Practice Squad if cut than him.

And ultimately, if they thought much of him - they wouldn't have brought in SIX WR's this offseason, after acquiring him. They probably wouldn't have bothered with Claypool and/or Cephus if they had any sort of plans for him.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Likely Hollins and MVS.  Sometimes the simplest answer is the most likely.  If they keep 6 which is not likely it would be one of Hamler Isabella or Claypool but they would need to contribute on special teams.  I don’t see shorter or the others with a real shot.   

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Can we wait until OTA’s start? 

Feel free to wait as long as you need. We can wait. Seriously though, why wait? Everybody knows it's just a semi-educated guess at this point. I promise I won't crucify you if you guess wrong. Go on.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's not *impossible*. But I see it as a very big longshot.

He's this year's Isabella, almost to a T. A former 2nd Round Pick that busted off his Drafted team. Now we're his 3rd team in less than a year.

If we're the 3rdd team to let him walk in under a year, including the team that spent a 2nd for him and gave up on him, it's kind of the kiss of death. We know that the odds of him being signed to another teams 53 after that is pretty low - regardless of how he looks in the 3rd and 4th Quarters of Pre-Season games with Mitch Trubisky and Shane Buechele.

Just like Isabella, who looked pretty darn good in the Pre-Season last year - Hamler has a stink on him that doesn't come off with one good Pre-Season in garbage time. I think they'll view other guys as more likely to not make it to the Practice Squad if cut than him.

And ultimately, if they thought much of him - they wouldn't have brought in SIX WR's this offseason, after acquiring him. They probably wouldn't have bothered with Claypool and/or Cephus if they had any sort of plans for him.

I think that is exactly the point on Hamler and Isabella. They are not gonna get picked up if they are cut from the 53. So they are easy cuts. If the Bills think Justin Shorter might then he makes the 6 on the roster. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You'd lose your entire 401k.

I don't think Hollins is a total lock, but I do think he is likely to make it. I certainly wouldn't be betting a single pound against it. 

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that is exactly the point on Hamler and Isabella. They are not gonna get picked up if they are cut from the 53. So they are easy cuts. If the Bills think Justin Shorter might then he makes the 6 on the roster. 

Justin shorter sat a season as a 5th rounder. I don't think teams are lining up to poach him. 

I assume they want at least one vet in the bottom 3. I'd have to assume MVS fits that bill. Hollins plays special teams, but so does a player like shavers who also has the advantage of having played here for a season. 

• Agree 1

Jesus, after seeing that WR list, i'm not really feeling too good of who may or may not be on the roster come September.

It's almost like a pile of dog **** sitting atop a pile of trash.

It's almost like a pretty pink bow on a piece of dog ****........sure, it looks nice, but at the end of the day, it's still dog ****.

Jesus christ.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

LOCKS:

Coleman

Shakir

Samuel 

CLOSE TO LOCKED:

Hollins- IMO Hollins would have to really flop hard to not make the team. Adds a great deal of versatility and plays special teams. Has been a captain on several squads on ST. For a team that moved on from several locker room leaders having a guy that seems to add leadership would be an important quality. I think of him more as a Sherfield/Kumerow role than adding much to the offense...but guys like him are definitely needed as well. 

INSIDE TRACK:

Shorter- This may be the one guy that could make Hollins expendable on the field. I can see him making a real push for the roster. Plays special teams and has had a lot of success as a gunner...though he did make several mistakes and was out of position a few times on special teams coverage in the preseason last year. Buffalo just burned a low pick on him last year and I think him returning this year may have been why Beane didn't take another WR late this draft. 

TALENT IS THERE BUT WILL THE WARTS SHOW?:

KJ Hamler- Speed. Skills have flashed at the pro level in limited play time. Hasn't really had the luxury of playing with a great QB before. But, the guy is made of glass. Is he Marquise Goodwin 2.0?  If he can finally stay on the field he can make a few plays on offense and special teams. With the new kickoff rules that's important. 

Chase Claypool- I like the idea of Claypool more than I value Claypool himself. Big target. Speed. Has shown he has all the skills to play in this league. This guy has  shown Pro Bowl level talent. He is the prototype for what I think a WR should be. Except somewhere along the way it seems he got lazy and it almost seems like he's disinterested in football and happy to float along and get a check on his way out. But man oh man, if this dude found some passion and turned it on he would be one heck of a dangerous weapon with Allen throwing him the ball.

MVSAnother vet WR that has speed. However last year really had the "yips" when it came to catching the ball. I don't think he's locked into a spot because of that and that he adds nothing on Special Teams...which you really have to do as the WR 4-5-6 here. But if he can show good chemistry with Allen and hold onto the ball when he's thrown it it would be hard to see them cut him. 

IMO any or all of these guys can make the roster. But they all come with "ifs". If MVS can catch. If Hamler stays healthy. If Claypool stops doing his Kelvin Benjamin career trajectory. 

Likely Bound for PS:

Isabella: Last year's  fan darling could well be this year's camp fodder. 

Shavers: Really will admit I don't know a ton about him and have no real opinion either way. But at least on paper he would seem to be battling Hollins and Shorter for a role. 

Not Betting on Him:

Quintez Cephus- Seems like a guy that will see extensive work in the final preseason game before he's released.

So that puts me at:

Coleman

Samuel

Shakir

Hollins

Claypool/Hamler/MVS (One makes it)

Shorter

PS:

Shavers

Isabella 

Cephus- (if one of those two get picked up elsewhere)

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1