$23 million in CAP in 2025 if no more moves as of 5/14

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

No problem. Yes. Fifth year option salaries are fully guaranteed so Rousseau will be on the books next season for $13.4. Some other things impact future cap space. For example, if less than a full roster was under contract for the future year then space will decrease as it fills up. Another thing that happens is that roster moves - like post June 1st cuts - that impact future years shake out. The Bills won’t have much space going into next offseason, but they will be able to create some. How much will depend in large part on how much cash the Bills are willing to spend. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/_/year/2025/sort/cap_maximum_space

I know there are some anomalies above, but Barley to cut to the chase of it just frustrating to be cash strapped the last couple of years and not progressing any further as team, most of the while teams that are nipping at our heals or in some instances better than us are quite comfortable, cap wise, and some of those have their QB signed.

Forgive me for committing sacrilege, but Cincy has their QB and top receiver under contractor, missed the playoffs because said QB was injured, we have yet to beat them as situated and they are very comfortably under the cap.

Detroit...are you kidding me? 4th in cap space and knocking on the door.

The same goes for the two time defending SC Champions with having more cap space than us and a QB under contract.

I guess if we were right at the cap and played in the Super Bowl, won it, or even made the AFC Championship I might feel differently.  However, none of that happened. 

Tangentially, as well,  I was never a fan of the Von Miller signing, but accepted it when it happened.  I wasn't worried so much about drop off.  I was worried about his age and the chance for injury given the physical toll on getting to the QB.  Crazy for me to think that way, right?

Barley, I am happy with where this team is at and I was fine with the blood letting that took place in March.  It had to be done and it was time.  

I guess the "win" in all this for me is if this new look Bills team not only makes it to the playoffs (which I have said they will), but wins the division and has some success.  

Combine an 11-6 or 12-5 division champion that makes it to the AFC CG with the bonus of 2025 cap space and I'm likely a happy camper.

Go Bills!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Anyone complaining about CAP space next year...

Overthecap projects us at $14m next season.

If Buffalo rolls over the Tre White extension without doing anything with it next month minus paying the rookie class we get about $9m.

Plus everyone thinks we're cutting Von next offseason... if we do we get $8.5m in CAP savings.

Over $31m in CAP space right there.

Plus... could still easily restructure Oliver, Taron and Josh for a lot more money.

And as far as FA go... the big one is really only Spencer Brown.

Beane has set this team up for the future!

Last few seasons the overall CAP number has always been higher than projected a year out.  So taking that into account, plus a couple of surprise cuts or maybe not a surprise based on how they play in 2024 season plus restructures, overall will end up with considerably more space than projected now.

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know there are some anomalies above, but Barley to cut to the chase of it just frustrating to be cash strapped the last couple of years and not progressing any further as team, most of the while teams that are nipping at our heals or in some instances better than us are quite comfortable, cap wise, and some of those have their QB signed.

Forgive me for committing sacrilege, but Cincy has their QB and top receiver under contractor, missed the playoffs because said QB was injured, we have yet to beat them as situated and they are very comfortable under the cap.

The same goes for the two time defending SC Champions with having more cap space than us and a QB under contract.

I guess if we were right at the cap and played in the Super Bowl, won it, or even made the AFC Championship I might feel differently.  However, non of that happened. 

Tangentially, as well,  I was never a fan of the Von Miller signing, but accepted it when it happened.  I wasn't worried so much about drop off.  I was worried about his age and the chance for injury given the physical toll on getting to the QB.  Crazy for me to think that way, right?

Barley, I am happy with where this team is at and I was fine with the blood letting that took place in March.  It had to be done and it was time.  

I guess the "win" in all this for me is if this new look Bills team not only makes it to the playoffs (which I have said they will), but wins the division and has some success.  

Combined an 11-6 or 12-5 division champion that makes it to the AFC CG with the bonus of 2025 cap space and I'm likely a happy camper.

Go Bills!

Bengals next year have Higgins as UFA, and Chase is on his 5th year option.  Something has to give there - and beginning in 2026 that chase number will be among the highest in the NFL.  They also have multiple starting offensive linemen as free agents (karras, T. Brown), BJ hill, and Mike Hilton.  Hendrickson also wants a new deal going into next season.  

Lions numbers don't factor in Goff extension yet is the big piece, but they have a ton of great players on rookie deals.  Hutchinson, Sewell, St. Brown (not rookie but... 13.9M on year 1 of his extension), LaPorta, Campbell.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

I think they have to redo Josh’s contract by next year. He is currently the 9th highest paid Qb in the league and that won’t stay that way. 

I mean..........yeah,  if Josh WANTS to.   

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Forgive me for committing sacrilege, but Cincy has their QB and top receiver under contractor, missed the playoffs because said QB was injured, we have yet to beat them as situated and they are very comfortable under the cap.

I guess if we were right at the cap and played in the Super Bowl, won it, or even made the AFC Championship I might feel differently.  However, non of that happened. 

Combined an 11-6 or 12-5 division champion that makes it to the AFC CG with the bonus of 2025 cap space and I'm likely a happy camper.

Go Bills!

Thank you. One thing I suggest keeping an eye on is cash spending. Actual cash spending as opposed to cap space. It’s more difficult to manipulate than the cap. The Bills were top 5 in cash spending the last couple seasons. Today they’re sitting at 23rd for 2024. They will likely drop further as teams pay their draft picks signing bonuses.

This tells me that they’re operating in an “old school” way where they ramp up spending to compete for a title, then purge players and dramatically decrease spending in order to reboot. If I’m correct, then they’ll be very aggressive next offseason in both creating cap space and pursuing difference making FAs. There is also a possibility that they’ll take a second year to purge before ramping up - or even that they won’t do it again. Circumstances will factor into that as well. There simply may not be difference making players available that they can acquire. 

If you want to see teams that using a highly aggressive “new school” cash/cap system then look at Philadelphia and Cleveland. They’re top two in spending and they’re manipulating the cap so that it is sustainable. Ignore New Orleans unless you want to see how not to manage a team. They’ve been a mess and are nowhere near digging out of it. I was hoping that the Bills would adopt the Philly model, but this one can work too. At least Pegula showed he will spend. KC and Cincy have owners that won’t. Both are very cheap by NFL standards. It really makes KC’s success all the more impressive. 

2024 NFL Cash Spend by team

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Thank you. One thing I suggest keeping an eye on is cash spending. Actual cash spending as opposed to cap space. It’s more difficult to manipulate than the cap. The Bills were top 5 in cash spending the last couple seasons. Today they’re sitting at 23rd for 2024. They will likely drop further as teams pay their draft picks signing bonuses.

This tells me that they’re operating in an “old school” way where they ramp up spending to compete for a title, then purge players and dramatically decrease spending in order to reboot. If I’m correct, then they’ll be very aggressive next offseason in both creating cap space and pursuing difference making FAs. There is also a possibility that they’ll take a second year to purge before ramping up - or even that they won’t do it again. Circumstances will factor into that as well. There simply may not be difference making players available that they can acquire. 

If you want to see teams that using a highly aggressive “new school” cash/cap system then look at Philadelphia and Cleveland. They’re top two in spending and they’re manipulating the cap so that it is sustainable. Ignore New Orleans unless you want to see how not to manage a team. They’ve been a mess and are nowhere near digging out of it. I was hoping that the Bills would adopt the Philly model, but this one can work too. At least Pegula showed he will spend. KC and Cincy have owners that won’t. Both are very cheap by NFL standards. It really makes KC’s success all the more impressive. 

2024 NFL Cash Spend by team

Does that number include money spent on coaching?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Bengals next year have Higgins as UFA, and Chase is on his 5th year option.  Something has to give there - and beginning in 2026 that chase number will be among the highest in the NFL.  They also have multiple starting offensive linemen as free agents (karras, T. Brown), BJ hill, and Mike Hilton.  Hendrickson also wants a new deal going into next season.  

Lions numbers don't factor in Goff extension yet is the big piece, but they have a ton of great players on rookie deals.  Hutchinson, Sewell, St. Brown (not rookie but... 13.9M on year 1 of his extension), LaPorta, Campbell.  

The only team we should be concerned about that has a non-rookie contract QB, but is in dramatically better shape (currently) than us is Kansas City.

They've simple nailed the big moves and draft these past few years.  Trading Tyreek Hill, while still having Travis Kelce, put them in a position that we couldn't keep up with given the moves we've made.

Everyone else has the same issues we have.. and many won't be in as good of a position as us next year when we finally get out of our current cap situation.

CIN has a liquidity issue in ownership and a ton of high priced players coming up due for new contracts.

BAL has gone through a similar roster overhaul as us this year, probably bigger than us, but nobody talks about it because it was 3 OL and some mercenary guys they brought in last year .. oh, and they signed a shiny object in Henry.

NYJ are built around a QB who has 1-2 more years left in him.

MIA is built around Tua, who is going to get paid and Tyreek, who also has 1-2 more elite seasons left in him. 

The other teams have rookie QB contracts.  Teams like HOU and JAX can spend like we can't... until they also have to pay their QB.  It is what it is.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

About a month ago I thought it would be much higher. I thought we were in the 40+ million dollar range. We’re at 31 million or so with moves, but start with $14 million. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy to be out of cap jail. However, I just thought after all this… After all the slash and burn this Spring we would have more money.

Anyways…

Go Bills!

For next season you have to add on the annual increase the league doles out, or is that included in these numbers? 

GO BILLS!!!

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

For next season you have to add on the annual increase the league doles out, or is that included in these numbers? 

GO BILLS!!!

That is true, however, that is true for every team.

The true joy in all this, Don, is that the dolphins are about to hit the cap wall in 2025.

Delicious.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If Buffalo rolls over the Tre White extension without doing anything with it next month minus paying the rookie class we get about $9m.

Plus everyone thinks we're cutting Von next offseason... if we do we get $8.5m in CAP savings.

Plus... could still easily restructure Oliver, Taron and Josh for a lot more money.

While I hate that this year's WR room is so unproven, I am glad Beane is managing the cap for sustained success.

Every season, if you build a good team, you buy yourself a lottery ticket for the Super Bowl.  No good team has a guaranteed path to the SB but the really bad teams have no realistic chance at all - they don't get lottery tickets.  Only the better teams do.  And if you buy enough tickets, the laws of chance say you'll probably eventually win. 

Beane's not the very best GM but he is getting us into the Lombardi Lottery every year.  

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's also the cost of the Practice Squad and in season spending pool. We also have an open roster spot for Training Camp, so we're going to sign someone. Long story short, we won't be rolling over 9m.

I said if no more spending.  Can add in the Practice Squad money, which is at most $1 or $2 million, if that.

Still leaves us over $20m.

And again... I said if no more moves and we roll over the money we don't spend into next year.

If we spend ALL our Tre White money and our remaining CAP, we'll still have $14m in CAP space plus the $8.5m if we cut Von with only Spencer Brown as our in-house remaining "big" UFA.

Not shooting the OP here but it never fails.........as soon as the team stops spending freely the fans start counting cap dollars not spent as W's.

For any reason, good or bad, rational or irrational.

I sure hope that a star WR doesn't get traded after June 1 and the Bills aren't ready to accept prosperity when it presents itself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Great news. We will need that money to retool. Also have a bunch of draft picks. 

1st

2 - 2nds

3rd

2 - 4ths (comp)

2 - 5ths (comp)

6th

7th

I think this is accurate. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Makes me wonder what that 6/1 money may be earmarked for...

I actually do like the MVS signing, but it probably takes a big WR move off the table for this year.

Re-visit Justin Simmons..  Wait and see how Von looks this Summer and maybe go after Clowney? 

I doubt we're rolling it over to next year.  We're fine cap-wise after this season and have heavy draft capital to improve the team next year as well. 

Beane said draft picks, practice squad and for emergencies.

13 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

To do this, he set the team up for mediocrity.  Look at the WR room

• Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Beane said draft picks, practice squad and for emergencies.

I guarantee you he doesn't only use that money for that. 

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I guarantee you he doesn't only use that money for that. 

Unless a CB or pass rusher comes a available, I wouldn't touch it.

I get fans keep praying for some big trade, but beane flat said not this year.